Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

I'm glad Glen Kennefick stood out with the B team - I know the lad and he is living and going to school in North Cork, but playing with the Glen, only back after breaking his leg a few months ago, missed out on competing at the All Ireland school athletics.

Kilshannig outside Drommahane isnt it?,a football aera mainly.

He looked a tasty hurler.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Kilshannig outside Drommahane isnt it?,a football aera mainly.

He looked a tasty hurler.

Yeah, he is living in Dromahane, nice lad.

I think they are more successful with the hurling tbh. Big change going on with the main pitch there in a few months, think all the planning is gone through!

Yeah, he is living in Dromahane, nice lad.

I think they are more successful with the hurling tbh. Big change going on with the main pitch there in a few months, think all the planning is gone through!

Yeah there football isnt going strong,consideridng if im correct it was a kerry man from castleisland ,that introduced football back in the day.

They do well,considering their so close to Clyda,and Mallow,with a pick of players.

Like Newtown the village is getting bigger,a lot of City folks their now,can only be of benefit to them in the future.

Yeah they deserve a new ptich.Their old ptich is being used ,and still have another one as far as im aware,up on a hill,where the ladies play.

They had Quinn a Down man, chairman, i presume he is still their.A good chairman.

PUCK-OUTS ARE CRUCIAL TO WINNING REPLAY

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 11, 2013

WHEN Cork lost to Clare after extra time in the relegation play-off, the stats afterwards showed that on the basis of possession they were fortunate to have led at the death, until the Banner snatched a late equaliser.
    Clare hauled down a remarkable 35 Cork puck-outs back in April, while JBM’s side snatched just nine of their opponents.
    Though the puck-out stats weren’t as damning last Sunday, Clare ahead by five — 28-23 — their utter dominance in the half-back line meant they secured 15 of Anthony Nash’s restarts.
    And in stark contrast, Cork won just seven Clare puck-outs in the middle third. That battleground is absolutely vital in the All-Ireland final replay.
    What was so frustrating for Cork is the strides they made in securing primary possession all year. Back in the spring, even though they were beaten, they outmuscled Kilkenny in the air at Nowlan Park. Even in defeat to Limerick in the Munster final, Cork were 29-27 ahead on puck-outs, helped by going short with 12 of their own.
    In the Munster semi-final against Clare they won 29 puck-outs to 24, including 14 of the Patrick Kelly’s. Starved of possession, while they had early goal chances, Davy Fitzgerald’s side engineered just 15 points, their lowest tally of the championship by some distance.
    Nash was presumably under instructions to drive the ball long last weekend, but surely Cork would have benefited from a bit of variety and must opt for a few short puck-outs in the replay.
    Of course if Conor O’Sullivan had been sweeping last weekend, with Pat Donnellan in the same role at the other end, Nash would have found the Sars man inside Cork’s 45 to try and draw out Clare.
    Yet when Clare didn’t play with a sweeper and given the pressure the Rebel back six were under, Nash couldn’t have risked going short.
    The question now is how can Cork keep Clare guessing and at least break even on the puck-outs come September 28.
    Nash’s predecessor Donal Óg might not have been a threat from frees and penalties like the Kanturk man, but he was unrivalled on puck-outs. Cork goalkeeping legend Ger Cunningham is the current coach and you’d imagine he’ll work closely with Nash, pictured right, between here and the next installment to come up with a shrewd strategy.

There was feature today in the Echo where the next Cork football manager was the topic.

Its a done deal with Cuthbert,Cleary has ruled himself out due to personal reasons,and Keith Ricken is the same due to work commitments.

They have listed them still,with Danny Culloty and Ephie fitzgerald.The board said its still in process.
    Its a done deal,I'd say even PP have stopped taking bets.

Cuthbert wont be two bad ,he is a good coach,and open to new ways.He is a board man true and true,but hes a good coach. .

Ned English who was in the running for the Limerick job,made great points.

English is a very astute man,and should have been the minor manager .

He made some Great and Interesting points:

"If you are appointing a person to manage Cork the right way to approach it would be to emulate the way a company would appoint a manager,By that they would bring in expertise to appreciate the actual qualities necessary to be succesful in the post .

And when it comes to inter-county management the qualities are that the individual must know the game inside out ,understand the science involved,not necessarily intricately but at least be aware of it,that person will have to know the psychology of transmitting information because at the end of the day you are dealing with human beings,you have to get people to buy into what you are doing and then have systems management skills.

With those elements in mind ,if you are selecting a manager for a professional company you would draft somebody in to sit on the selection board that would know whether or not those candiates have the inter-personal skills required to transmit all of the information.

"You might get another person to sit in that would be able to assess whether or not the candiate understands the science involved.And so on.

Whoever is selected should not be selected just because 'he was great with this fella or that fella.

If they really want to do it right they really have to assess these guys very well.

There are a lot of fantastic people that have given a lot of their time and energy over the years but I just feel,there has been a tremendous waste in Cork football for 16,17 years.

There has been little progression.

We won one All Ireland but if you look at the last team that was there,it didn't really progress.

"A manager,by definition is not somebody that just knows what to do in advance.
    A manager has to be able to adapt to situations as well .
    Your skills,a manager ,come in when you interpret what to do relative to what is needed.

The game,for example,is almost professional in a fitness sense.

And the new manager ,whoever that may be and I believe there is no standout candidate -those being mentioned would all offer something different -must have an appreciation that the game of football will,in the next few years,be centred around creating space which the ball can be moved into and players with the speed and spatial awareness to implement that style.

Take Mayo,They came up short last year but revised their gameplan and realised they needed to improve the speed of which they transferred the ball out of their defence.

And because of that their link up play has improved as a by product of that.

Their players appear to be spatially aware and their movement is excellent.
    "The next Cork manager must trawl the County for players that can be potentially be even quicker than that at transferring the ball and moving into space because football ,in general ,is just going to keep on getting faster and faster.

In the last few years we had the same deficiency of failing against blanket defences and not being able to break them down but if we adapt to how the game is moving into an era where spatial appreciaton and speed are paramount that could change.

People might say I have had teams that were sluggish transferring the ball in the past but we were only working with limited rescources whereas,in this context,we are talking about the rescources,of an entire county.

"If that concept ,which can be complicated to get across to players for some ,to work you need tremendous movement and work-rate from every one of the players.

The players the new manager uses need to be incredibly quick.

"I would absolutely love the job and it would be an honour to be considered but I genuinely don't think I would be.

• Advertisement

Johnny Ryan Tippereary is meant to be likely as the Referee for the 28th.

As long as it is not Jame's Mcgrath.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

I think appointing any of the candidates being discussed is a mistake. If you look at the championship for the last 10 years there has only been a handful of successful counties. It has become almost like the premier league in England. A handful of elite teams and alot of average teams after that. The most consistently successful counties have been Cork, Kerry, Dublin and Tyrone. Teams like Mayo, Down and Donegal and Kildare have had the odd successful year but that's about it. Cork deserve an experienced intercounty manager. I think the position of coach is a separate issue. Rebel girl 15 made a great point recently that the manager should be more of figure that can maintain distance and delegate responsibility and formulate and overall strategy. There's a massive difference between uderage and senior management and I really think that the Cork team deserve an experienced manager. At least Ephie Fitzgerald has had a year with Limerick but realistically, it should have been more. Cork are a seriously talented team and has genuinely serious ambition. But the CCB is a completely amateurish organisation!!! (I'm aware of the irony but GAA isn't really an amateur sport anymore)

Archer3083 wrote: »
    I think appointing any of the candidates being discussed is a mistake. If you look at the championship for the last 10 years there has only been a handful of successful counties. It has become almost like the premier league in England. A handful of elite teams and alot of average teams after that. The most consistently successful counties have been Cork, Kerry, Dublin and Tyrone. Teams like Mayo, Down and Donegal and Kildare have had the odd successful year but that's about it. Cork deserve an experienced intercounty manager. I think the position of coach is a separate issue. Rebel girl 15 made a great point recently that the manager should be more of figure that can maintain distance and delegate responsibility and formulate and overall strategy. There's a massive difference between uderage and senior management and I really think that the Cork team deserve an experienced manager. At least Ephie Fitzgerald has had a year with Limerick but realistically, it should have been more. Cork are a seriously talented team and has genuinely serious ambition. But the CCB is a completely amateurish organisation!!! (I'm aware of the irony but GAA isn't really an amateur sport anymore)

I agree,and you have very good points.

My argument would be Mayo,gave Horan the job,and all he had was club success.But he had the templates to work on.

Gavin was the same with dublin,had u21 glory.Cork should stay within in the county,just go for guys with a track record that stands out,but not necessarily former u21 managers.It would be a help of course.

But realistically,getting an outside man,is a huge risk,and a huge cost we dont need.We already have the Pairc,that will drain us.

We have Rebel Og crying out for more investment.When you see the Board saying apply for all ireland tickets,send a blank cheque,it shows up how money is their priority.

When you see development squads asked for five euro towards breakfast, and to bring their own sandwiches and suncream, that to me is farcial in todays world.

They need to be properly funded ,and money invested in our schools ,in both codes,before paying an outside man can even be contemplated.In hurling we lost Denis Ring from St Colmans to Blackwater community school,he is a principal their.We must hold on to these people.
    Something like six or seven of waterford minors,go to school their.Amy o Shea,and Pa Cronin teach their.

You got to build from the bottom up.We cant run before we walk.

Cork gaa people is full of talented,charismatic ,astute gaa people,that know the game inside out,as our hurling managers in O grady and JBM and Morgan and Eammon Ryan have proved.

Cork have the talent for top class managers,it is the problem the right people are overlooked.

James O Donovan,a good young coach overlooked for the minors,Keith Ricken in the past,Ned English etc.

Gene o Driscoll finally got hes chance with the u21s.

The other point is there is no stand out candidate,availble from other counties.

Please dont say Kieran Mcgenney;-)over hyped greatly.Jason ryan a good manager,the same do.

You mentioned Jack o Connor,a very good manager,but struggled with the blanket style many a time.

Jim mcguinness,came from the u21 team,lost a final,but he was radical and brave enough to bring a new system.

Cuthbert has hes flaws,but got bishoptown to a county semifinal, and Cork were very unlucky to tyrone in 2010.

Cork played good football on the way.He has done plenty of courses,up and down the country.Cleary opted out,so he was the only man,as no way would the Board give it to Morgan or English.

In 2010,he played over 30 matches with the minors,countless challenging matches looking for players.

He is a good coach.People say he was a selector,and was no good this year.Don't forget,he had no influence at all , as Counihan done it ,he's way .

If cuthbert ,had any influence,Cahalane woudnt have been treated the way he was at h time in Kerry,nor Clancy,and hes own clubmen,o halloran would not have been dropped,and Jamie Sul would have started,as when he came on against Dublin he was superb.

Couinhan played a half back their instead.

Yes its a risk,but a calculated one.A two year term,and reviewed after that.

Cork GAA is too complex,diverse,and uniquie and too large a county,that an outside man is a big risk.A Cork man can give the job all the time in the world.

Kerry,Dublin,or Kilkenny would never dream of an outside manager.
    They develop their own.

Cork could do the same

I wouldn't suggest Keiran McGeeney or Jason Ryan but I still think both managers have had relative success with Kildare and wexford. At least both those managers are in demand. Other counties want McGeeney and Jason Ryan. To the best of my knowledge other counties aren't crying out for Cuthbert, Cleary or Fitzgerald. As bad as things are in Waterford, Limerick, Clare and Tipperary they have not coming knocking on our doors looking for a Cork manager. However, in the hurling it has been completely the opposite. Donal O Grady and John Allen were in high demand. Even Donal Og Cusack was considered a good fit for the Waterford job by John Mullane. I think the talent is clearly there in hurling but not in football. Cork have 7 All-Ireland titles for a reason in football. Shambolic management from top down. Not the case in hurling!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

I wouldn't suggest Keiran McGeeney or Jason Ryan but I still think both managers have had relative success with Kildare and wexford. At least both those managers are in demand. Other counties want McGeeney and Jason Ryan.

McGeeney was a relative success with Kildare but the vibe I got from Cork during Counihan's reign was that tactical naivety was a recurring issue. McGeeney has the exact same weakness for all his professionalism and organisation.

Have any of the recently retired Cork footballers gone into management or coaching? Joe Kavanagh, Colin Corkery, Anthony Lynch, Ciaran O'Sullivan?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't suggest Keiran McGeeney or Jason Ryan but I still think both managers have had relative success with Kildare and wexford. At least both those managers are in demand. Other counties want McGeeney and Jason Ryan. To the best of my knowledge other counties aren't crying out for Cuthbert, Cleary or Fitzgerald. As bad as things are in Waterford, Limerick, Clare and Tipperary they have not coming knocking on our doors looking for a Cork manager. However, in the hurling it has been completely the opposite. Donal O Grady and John Allen were in high demand. Even Donal Og Cusack was considered a good fit for the Waterford job by John Mullane. I think the talent is clearly there in hurling but not in football. Cork have 7 All-Ireland titles for a reason in football. Shambolic management from top down. Not the case in hurling!

But you got look at it as a whole,and foresnically.

Since 86 we had just 3 managers.Morgan justfied hes terms, but Tompkins wasted seven years,and counihan wasted another three.Thats ten years.

So none of any talented managers had any chance to come in.And they were their.John fintan Daly,should got it ahead of tompkins.Tompkins had no expierence at all.
    Morgan had offers in other counties but wouldnt manage anyone else.

Eammon Ryan is top class,won us a minor in 93.If he left the ladies,im sure counties would look for him.

Cleary should got it two years ago.
    limerick didnt have much options at the time,and Allen was the best fit them.

But he certainly would nt be head hunted by Dublin or Waterford,id imagine.
    Even some limerick fans who were loyal to him,have now said their glad hes gone,as like i always said,can take teams to a certain level,but falls short.

People are saying as he played football , with Cork in 83, he should get the job.That wont happen and would be a disaster.

It would be replacing counihan with a man exactly the same as. A GREAT man manager,but tactially miles off the top level.

Cork county board say that just cause because we have Seven all irelands, that one all ireland in 20 years is a success.

Its not.Cork must have managers with a vision for the future.

McGeeney was a relative success with Kildare but the vibe I got from Cork during Counihan's reign was that tactical naivety was a recurring issue. McGeeney has the exact same weakness for all his professionalism and organisation.

Have any of the recently retired Cork footballers gone into management or coaching? Joe Kavanagh, Colin Corkery, Anthony Lynch, Ciaran O'Sullivan?

Totally agree.Great man managers,but lacking the astute,tactical awareness you need.

Both brought the teams to a certain level but could not go to the next.The problem was they also surrounded themselves with poor back up teams,and when they did in their last year shake things up,they refused to allow these guys change things,and wanted to do it all themselves.

None of the above are involved or have an interest in management.

I'm not so sure that Limerick are happy John Allen has gone. I think he was doing a good job. It's not just Allen that was wanted by outside counties. O Grady was wanted by outside counties. Justin McCarthy, Gerald McCarthy and John Meyler were head hunted by outside counties but to the best of my knowledge no other county wants football managers from Cork. That pretty much says it all.

I don't think we should be exclusively looking at former players. The best players don't always make the best managers. Jack O'Connor was very poor as a player, well at inter county level. John Allen and Donal O'Grady didn't have great careers as players with the Cork senior hurling team, on the other hand JBM has 5 All-Ireland medals. JBM also has a football medal from '73. Do you think he'd take over the footballers as well as the hurlers? :-)

I'm not so sure that Limerick are happy John Allen has gone. I think he was doing a good job. It's not just Allen that was wanted by outside counties. O Grady was wanted by outside counties. Justin McCarthy, Gerald McCarthy and John Meyler were head hunted by outside counties but to the best of my knowledge no other county wants football managers from Cork. That pretty much says it all.

I don't think we should be exclusively looking at former players. The best players don't always make the best managers. Jack O'Connor was very poor as a player, well at inter county level. John Allen and Donal O'Grady didn't have great careers as players with the Cork senior hurling team, on the other hand JBM has 5 All-Ireland medals. JBM also has a football medal from '73. Do you think he'd take over the footballers as well as the hurlers? :-)

Peter Creedon is in Tipp. Seamus Mccarthy back in the 90,s was with them and done v well.

It is just Cork hurling is seen as you say in a greater light with 31 to just seven all irelands in football.It doesnt mean and is wrong to say the talent as coaches isnt their.

As i said three coaches in 27 years,isnt much chance for anyone to come in.

Take a look at our minor,junior and u21 roll of honur,were ahead or close to the top with the rest.

Some of these managers were never given a chance at senior to develop.Eammon Ryan was lost to the men,the ladies gained.

Tonly leahy U21 winning manager has not been seen since.

Some want Allen to stay,but some are thankful to him,but know hes limited.

Interestingly to hear Paul Kinnerk,a limerick man,clare coach being lined up as coach with them next year,and sheedy who coached Adare linked also.

If that is true,they are a real danger to Cork next year,as that is some management team.

Dave Keane,Jerry Wallis, and Darach o Connell were other cork men that went to limerick.

Cody as expected staying with kilkenny.
    We must grab the 28th with both hands as next year be very hard to win,with walsh ruling out joining up.

I knew he wanted to join the hurlers,but he said today if he was in Cork he would,but not while in Dublin.

JBM could do a job with the footballers,apparently the FAI want him as well as Ireland Manager;-)

I actually genuinely think that JBM could manager the footballers but I'd say his first love is hurling. He's just got such a magnetic personality. He's just got such charisma. Players would go to the gates and back again for him. And that's something that can't be learned or taught. You either have it or you don't.

I agree the juniors have been incredibly successful but I don't think the type of football played at that grade is comparable to senior level. Also, minor level and U21 levels tends to be very different. Football is very open at those levels and in actual fact I'd love to see that philosophy at senior level as well but unfortunately you have alot more defensive styles at senior level. If you look at the last 5-10 years of the U21 competition, very traditional counties that play open football like Galway and Cork have won the competition.

I actually genuinely think that JBM could manager the footballers but I'd say his first love is hurling. He's just got such a magnetic personality. He's just got such charisma. Players would go to the gates and back again for him. And that's something that can't be learned or taught. You either have it or you don't.

I agree the juniors have been incredibly successful but I don't think the type of football played at that grade is comparable to senior level. Also, minor level and U21 levels tends to be very different. Football is very open at those levels and in actual fact I'd love to see that philosophy at senior level as well but unfortunately you have alot more defensive styles at senior level. If you look at the last 5-10 years of the U21 competition, very traditional counties that play open football like Galway and Cork have won the competition.

With out a shadow of a doubt hed win us an allireland,as he would surround himself with the right men,and understands the game, and the way the rules and game is going,he knows how to use and appreciate space, speed,how to develop players,and beneath that charm,has the steel,and ruthlessness to go out with the old and in with the new.

Reputations as shown with this team,and 99 when he dropped all star ,Barry Egan in 96,he will make the hard calls.

The open game will suit cork,next year but you need tactics to implement and make it potent and efficent.

O grady was a top class full back,great reader of the game,but plauged with a severe back injury.I agree,you dont have to always be a great player to be a good manager.

Different roles that require different attrubites.

Modern managers and by and large younger managers are more tactically astute now and need to be. Managers like Jim McGuinness and James Horan are a new breed of manager and it is benefiting the development of the game. The quality of football is far superior now.

However, what I find strangest about McGuinness is how bad Donegal were this year. We all think that Counihan was a poor manager but even after Cork won their All-Ireland they never got a 16 point hammering from any team. Cork were always competitive under Counihan. Senior intercounty management is not easy! Managers make mistakes. Even the great Brian Cody is not invincible.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

I saw this,said post it,hope it helps anyone looking for tickets.

All-Ireland Hurling Final Replay

Applications for tickets for the All-Ireland Hurling Final Replay must be submitted in writing to Cork County Board, Páirc Uí Chaoimh, The Marina, Cork, including remittance (preferable blank cheque) and stamped, self-addressed envelope. The closing date is Wednesday, September 18th and applications which do not meet the above criteria cannot be considered. Email applications will not be accepted and late applications cannot be considered. There is no guarantee that all who apply will get tickets.

Stand - €50, Terrace - €25. Availability of juvenile €10 tickets to be confirme

Has this been done before? Am i the only one that wouldn't feel comfortable sending a blank cheque in the post?? In fact I dont even have a cheque book!!

I don't really understand the logic behind a blank cheque. If you want 2 tickets you just multiply the price by 2. It's not rocket science unless they're going to add on some handling fee. I'd say a bank draft or postal order will cover you.

Modern managers and by and large younger managers are more tactically astute now and need to be. Managers like Jim McGuinness and James Horan are a new breed of manager and it is benefiting the development of the game. The quality of football is far superior now.

However, what I find strangest about McGuinness is how bad Donegal were this year. We all think that Counihan was a poor manager but even after Cork won their All-Ireland they never got a 16 point hammering from any team. Cork were always competitive under Counihan. Senior intercounty management is not easy! Managers make mistakes. Even the great Brian Cody is not invincible.

But you see the key to Dongal was always the system,and Lacey was pivotal to that.He was true class.The rest of the team bar mcbrearty,murphy and mcfadden are average,good at best.

They to compete ,had to have the same tenacity,and aggression and that was never going to be the same.

Once the system was beaten,it showed the flawes donegal had like in 09 when they were beaten well by cork.

Mayo were superb, and had more natural footballers.

Cork would have been blown out the gate by mayo,and we we were haunted against dublin,should have been beaten by more.

Mcguinness doesnt have much to work with,and are a one trick pony.

Cody has been beaten,every manager has,but Cody adapts,learns and rarely makes the same mistake twice.That is a mark of he's greatness.He has brought in derek lyng,just 35,to add new impetus to the coaching.

Counihan had peadear healy doing the drills,and mccarthy and cuthbert were just bystanders.I saw some of the training,it was awful,way of what is required.

Peader Healy has done nothing with Naomh Aban.

Cuthbert needs to bring in the right man as coach,and selectors.Dr.Eanna Falvey,involved with the Lions rubgy,id love to see in a role as physical trainer.

Aidan o connell was a good trainer,but time for a change.

Make no mistake,Kilkenny be very hard to beat next year.

• Advertisement

I don't really understand the logic behind a blank cheque. If you want 2 tickets you just multiply the price by 2. It's not rocket science unless they're going to add on some handling fee. I'd say a bank draft or postal order will cover you.
    This is the CCB we are talking about.Logic does not go hand in hand.

No way would i send a blank cheque.Id stay at home first

I was just making the point that senior intercounty management isn't easy. Even the great mangers can get caught out some times. I never like Counihan as manger of Cork but let's hope the next man is better because it is also possible that the next man is worse.

I agree,and a stamped envelope etc.

But there admant it must be blank cheque or it wont be considered.

I was just making the point that senior intercounty management isn't easy. Even the great mangers can get caught out some times. I never like Counihan as manger of Cork but let's hope the next man is better because it is also possible that the next man is worse.
    I hope the same.

I really cant c Cuthbert being as bad as him.At worst the same tactially.

Because intercounty management is so difficult I think that's why you need to put the best possible man in there to give the team the best chance. I wouldn't go for Cuthbert. I would go for Ephie or Cleary ahead of him. Having said all that, I could be proved wrong. Cuthbert could win 2-3 All-Irelands and I might have to eat my own words. But I'd be a happy man if that happened.

Because intercounty management is so difficult I think that's why you need to put the best possible man in there to give the team the best chance. I wouldn't go for Cuthbert. I would go for Ephie or Cleary ahead of him. Having said all that, I could be proved wrong. Cuthbert could win 2-3 All-Irelands and I might have to eat my own words. But I'd be a happy man if that happened.

Id want cleary,but he ruled himself out over personal reasons.

Ephie didnt do great with the minors,and i was shocked by that,but he has a good record with nemo and limerick.

Either way,any of two is better than counihan.The make up of the backroom team will be key.

We all have different ideas as to who should take the Cork job and how that process should be conducted. And it's great having debate over the merits of different managers. What I find very strange is that although we can't agree who should be the next manger, we can agree that the CCB could make a mess of the appointment. Nobody on this forum has any faith in the CCB or Frank Murphy. What does that say about a proud county like Cork.

We all have different ideas as to who should take the Cork job and how that process should be conducted. And it's great having debate over the merits of different managers. What I find very strange is that although we can't agree who should be the next manger, we can agree that the CCB could make a mess of the appointment. Nobody on this forum has any faith in the CCB or Frank Murphy. What does that say about a proud county like Cork.

Thats a good point.

Not once ounce of faith many have in the Board,and it makes us sound negative and begruders ,when were not,just stating the fact.

The only negative from Sunday was we wont know the u21 or minor hurling job til after the 28th,Bob Ryan said they were waiting til after it to decide.

Madness to drag it out so long.

Pat kenneally according to Bob done a splendid job with Cork,the best prepared team in ages,and the usual rubbish,we were unlucky,and if we hadnt a man sent of,would have won.

Waterford were much better,and full value for their win.

The board see what they want to.
    I heard a few different things lately,one was Kenneally was offered the job,but turned it down,but then heard he is to get a new term.

Either way,he should not be in the running.

The same excuses were made for the U21 hurlers.All we hear is in the next few years we will reap the rewards from the development squads.

The fixtures in the hurling meant to go ahead this wk have been cancelled until after the final,bar the Barrs and Ballymartle.

I say JBM had a big call in that.I can understand it hard on the clubs but JBM realised after Sunday,how weak our panel are,and id say with all the injuries he had wants to play it safe,as shown by Cian Maccarthys injury.

While a game this week keep them sharp,I'm sure training will be the main priority the next few weeks.

In light of all i think its the best call,as if anyone gets injured we could be beaten before the 28th,and while training can incur the same risk,by lessening the games,lowers the risk.

It wont be ideal playing a county final in wintry weather,but we dont have much choice.

Until we have a proper and fair structure in the senior intercounty championships in both in hurling and football then clubs will be treated as almost second class citizens. I remember Douglas got incredibly harsh treatment last year, waiting 18 weeks for a game.

I know the Munster championship in hurling is still thriving but it would be better if we had a system in place which had the same number of games for every team to win the championship and had the same number of weeks between fixtures. In this way a master fixture list could be drafted which would make it easier for the county board to set fixtures for the club scene. This is not a problem which is unique to Cork. Every county is eventually affected by the idiosyncrasies of our championship structure. The provincial systems have served their purpose.

• Advertisement

Until we have a proper and fair structure in the senior intercounty championships in both in hurling and football then clubs will be treated as almost second class citizens. I remember Douglas got incredibly harsh treatment last year, waiting 18 weeks for a game.

I know the Munster championship in hurling is still thriving but it would be better if we had a system in place which had the same number of games for every team to win the championship and had the same number of weeks between fixtures. In this way a master fixture list could be drafted which would make it easier for the county board to set fixtures for the club scene. This is not a problem which is unique to Cork. Every county is eventually affected by the idiosyncrasies of our championship structure. The provincial systems have served their purpose.

Yeah its a problem for clare too,think they are thinking of asking the munster council for help in running of the rest,their club games over the delays with their u21 and senior all irelands.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement