Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

All the best to JBM and the lads today. Lots of neutrals seen to be writing us off. Not a bad thing.

I'm rostered to work today and it wasn't a day which a lot of people were willing to swap for :( Hopefully can slip away for a few hours and watch it.

Rebels Abu.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I watched the girls game last night!! Flights being booked tomorrow if I can manage to get two hours on the Monday off!!

The influence of Juliet Murphy cannot be understated, she is the difference in that team being knocked out earlier in the year and being where they are today. They are going for three in a row now, and hopefully a lot of the bunting etc will stay up for their game as well - they deserve much more support than what they are getting at the moment! Its the 40th AI final, so will definitely be a special day.

Nervous about later on, was thinking about heading into London to watch it, but think I'll stay where I am, should have a link for it anyway! Disappointed for Tom Kenny, but he will be on at some stage, only man on either panel to have won an AI medal on the field of play, and that experience is vital. I think Clare will target Chris Joyce as a weak link in the Cork backs to try and exploit

All six of the Cork forwards will have to perform as a unit as well as individually. Hopefully all the puzzle pieces will fall into place today and Liam McCarthy will be coming back to Cork!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Who is the ladies Full Back? She was excellent yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I didn't see the match myself but I presume it was Brid Stack. Great player.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Brid Stack was number 3

• Advertisement

Haunted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

My god we were lucky but unlucky as well. Delighted we've a second chance though. The team didn't deserve for today to be the final judge.

Clare will be favourites for the replay which should suit us. We simply can't play like we did today and in fairness I don't think we can play that bad for so long. I'm buzzing already. One thing though, regardless of his goal Pa Cronin is a weak link in the half forwards. Myself and my father were roaring at him more than anyone today.

Rebel weekend on the 28th/29th of September, hurling on the Saturday, football on the Sunday!!! Happy days!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

for 70 minutes today we would have taken that draw with open arms. bombing ball after ball down on a half forward line that was being cleaned out. something there needs to change.

not good for the heart today.

I still dont know how we drew it.

Haunted. Will be better next day, but hopefully that will be enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Well that didn't go as planned. We were pretty brutal, with no half forward line, a poor enough midfield yet we created loads of goal chances, scored 3 and hit the bar aswell and were literally seconds away from winning.

We cannot be that bad again while Clare might not be that good again.

I'm absolutely drained!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Truly Haunted were cork,we got out of jail.

When five of the 15,nash,o neill, Harnedy ,Egan and Joyce only done themselves justice for the full game,we done a harry houdini escape,to get a draw is unbelivable.

If Cork had won Nash would have won hurler of the year.I don't think he can be blamed for the puck outs,Harnedy was the only that gave him a viable option.
    And the movement of our backs was very pondourous,so the short puck out was never on.

Horgan did not score a lot,but he fought for every ball.He got very little quailty ball ,to work with .To score 3-16 on a bad day is some scoring from the forwards.

A great result,for Cork,when Clare were the much better team.Cork have more in them, as Cronin,Coughlan,lehane, o Farell ,even connor sullivan ,cant have as poor first touch ,or be as wasteful the next day.

Sign of a great player when you can play so bad,get two super goals,like lehane and Cronin. They never gave up and had the bottle to go for it.

Cork had only one forward who done himself justice for all for all the match.You would have to have been in croke park to really appreciate Seamus Harnedy.
    Without him and Nash,we would have been beaten out the gate.They never stopped encouraging those around them.
    Harnedy,a quite shy lad by nature,is totally different on the field.He was always tapping players on the shoulder,roaring instructions.A future captain ,without a doubt.

Horgan got two super points,but Harnedy was much better.
    In a team that cried out for leaders,he brought the fight to Clare,from the ist minute to the last.

He got our first score like hes cousin Mark Landers did in 99 in the final.It settled cork.He won vital balls against a dominant clare half back line,where bulger or donnellan would deserve man of the match.

He got a vital second half point,won it himself and fired over,when we were four down in the second half.Beat three clare men to the high ball.That was at a crucial time in the game.

Won threes frees, and a penalty and in the first half at the end ,won a ball he had no right to win ,and on the ground gave a great pass for kearney to score to put us undeservingly just two down at half time.

The goals take the limelight but It is those small defining moments that keep you in the game.

He worked very hard off the ball,chased everything.
    At least 2 points is a certainty in every game from him now.

He will be better for today.He can hurl,of the left or right side also,and extremely brave.

Clare deserved the draw, a super team.It would have been no shame to loose to them,as they are a super team,but what would have been a shame,was so many of our lads let the game bypass them.Thank God,we have another chance.

Gavin was right to let the game go on after the two minutes.There was that bit extra for the sideline.

Cork won in 99 by a point against KK when pat o connor wrongly blew up without any injury time.

Some days it goes with you,and today we just accept it did not.Cork won't complain .

Shane o neill a super game, proved me wrong at full back,but he should have been sent off.He lives on the edge,but their was no need to do that.He wont be cited,but he is a super hurler,does not need to do that.

The Cork backs were very good at defending but the passing at times was poor,in particular from Connor Sullivan,our best passer.

Cork were very nervous ,and our bread and butter is our first touch ,but coughlan,even kearney at times, connor sul ,egan,lehane was very poor.I think cork be much better the next day .They won't be as bad and cronin or mcloughlin are much better than today.Tony Kelly dominated yesterday,but Murphy will be much sharper .

Clare practially done all the hurling,very hard ask for them to replicate that,while we lost so many one to one match ups, we will be better.We were not allowed play,credit Clare, but Cork were below par.
    Even in the warm up,Cork looked very nervous.Considering how we were outplayed,a draw is a great result for Cork.

Clare had the bit between their teeth, and had points to prove from the june match.They had the edge.They were like men possesed.Cork were naive and did not expect that tenacity from them,right from the start.

Cork ,will have that the next day,and our first final in croke park ,for most of the lads compared to clares third,second in croker, will improve and they wont be as nervous on the 28th.

The point by Podge Collins was worth the admission fee alone.Young Hurler of the year at the very least.

I always felt,this game could be a draw.It will be closely contested for most of the game,but who ever wins,will win it by a few points the next day.Replays in finals are never the same.

Clare will and rightly feel today got away,but i think the next three weeks,the build up,atmosphere can do wonders for hurling in both counties.Clare have some future ahead of them.There first touch was top notch.

The Gresham Hotel was buzzing this morning.The last two weeks in both counties have been great,the next three weeks will be even better.

Credit to our guys, great character and never gave up when they have in the past.The league game against Waterford in the pouring rain,and win when we came back and drew,was the day ,the team build the character ,it showed yesterday.

They need to match that character with the hurling they showed against Dublin and they can win.That display was Corks best of the year,today they never got to that level,and its a big ask to get two big games backs to back.Clare in fairness did.

Moylan was brillant when he came on,should start ahead of farell the next day.Pa Cronin illness has clearly set him back.Today he struggled with the pace of the game.He is not fully fit to he's own standard.He will be in three weeks.Watching training last week,he looked sluggish. It must be remembered he was on a drip for close to ten days up to ten weeks ago aprox.Every game he will get better.Like Horgan, and lehane,when the need was greatest ,they stood up and were counted.A great sign of a player.

The word is Cian Mcarthy be okay in three weeks.A loss to cork when he went off,as won a free,and started to add physicality that was needed.

Stephen white,a very game player,but he lacked that bit of composure.Hit a ball straight over the sideline.Kenny is a better sub.
    There will be only one change if any.Moylan for O farell or coughlan.I think O Farell should make way.

The winner,the next day be the team that improves the most.

JBM done all he could today,got the match ups mostly correct ,made good use of the bench,and never panicked.He said himself,a lot of the players were nervous,and the 28th can not come quick enough for some them.

A lot of the players were out played but that happens in all ireland finals,for such a young team,with no expierence of finals.

Freshness be a big factor also.This will be Clare's 8th game,and one went to extra time.After a long hard season ,it could have a bearing.

Cork ,will have just six games played.

The talk is club games will go on the weekend ,then a break for two weeks.

The big worry for Cork is Harnedy has a junior game also for St Itas , that was postponed once,has to go ahead this time,and the UCC replay with Sarsfields also.

He could have to play two games in a few games.
    He is so vital to Cork, if he is injured ,I feel Cork would not win.That is how much of a player he has become for Cork.

There was not a lot of tickets around Croker today.The next day it be the same

Very proud of Cork , and management today,but amongst the relief, privledged to have seen a great final, against a superb Clare team.Paudie O ' Sullivan won't make the final,JBM said this morning on the radio.

Stand tickets reduced to 50 euro and Terrace down to 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

Welcome back Thinkstoomuch, excellent post!!! What happened to you? We missed you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Horse84

What's the word on paudi sull? Is there any hope of him making the bench next day out. What kind of training has he done til now?

Horse84 wrote: »
    What's the word on paudi sull? Is there any hope of him making the bench next day out. What kind of training has he done til now?
    I listened to the Championship special on RTE radio 1 last night after the game and Paudi said himself that he wouldn't be ready. He said that he was told that it would take 12 months to get back and that it had only been 4-5 months since the operation. It's a pity. He's a great player!

I'm not a hurling person. I come from West Cork and I'm from football country but I thought yesterday that when the high ball wasn't working that Cork should have reverted to a running game. Conor Lehane scored a goal when he ran at Clare. Does anyone else think that Cork would have been better if they pucked the ball out short and ran at Clare?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Horse84

I went to the match on my own yday but was sat with a few other season ticket holders and we were discussing it during the game and yea it looked to us that the only way to really hurt em with the players we have is with some direct running.
    Clare's hb line is ferocious and as loughnane said last night Clare wouldn't be known for being great in the air but yday showed that Harnedy aside we can't compete there at all so we have to work the ball to Farrell and lehane and these lads to create goal chances.
    Fellas were calling yday for cussen to be brought on to win some ball. This would be a mistake and I thank god that jbm and co didn't resort to that.
    We live to fight another day but realistically we need everyone from 1-15 to play to their full potential to be even in with a shout. Clare could afford to carry one or 2 we just can't.
    This talk from Davy saying the momentum is with us and all that has to be seen for what it is and it's bull.
    Clare have some awesome players. They're a credit to their county.

Horse84 wrote: »
    I went to the match on my own yday but was sat with a few other season ticket holders and we were discussing it during the game and yea it looked to us that the only way to really hurt em with the players we have is with some direct running.
    Clare's hb line is ferocious and as loughnane said last night Clare wouldn't be known for being great in the air but yday showed that Harnedy aside we can't compete there at all so we have to work the ball to Farrell and lehane and these lads to create goal chances.
    Fellas were calling yday for cussen to be brought on to win some ball. This would be a mistake and I thank god that jbm and co didn't resort to that.
    We live to fight another day but realistically we need everyone from 1-15 to play to their full potential to be even in with a shout. Clare could afford to carry one or 2 we just can't.
    This talk from Davy saying the momentum is with us and all that has to be seen for what it is and it's bull.
    Clare have some awesome players. They're a credit to their county.
    To be fair, no one I met got carried away with the hype and no one on boards.ie got carried away either. Before the match yesterday the vast majority of us were nervous of Clare and we were right to be nervous. The game was close, that's what we expected and it will be close the next day.

I Went to the Eugene Carey (Rip) all Ireland u17 tournament that Cork won in Mallow ,last Saturday week that was staged between two ptiches,one the super new complex,the other the old Mallow GAA Ptich in the Town Park.

It was well organised and a credit to Mallow, for hosting it,it was some day of hurling.The sun split the stones.Free entry,and only two euro for the programmes.Such was the standard of hurling, you would not mind paying in.

The downside was one group of matches with the B team and kilkenny,Galway A team and Tippereary was in one part of the town while the other team,our A side were playing the same time,2 miles away.

It benefited Cork A team that we only had to play two games, Clare and Dublin,and got to the final where we beat kilkenny by five points,getting two great goals.

Kilkenny are a fine team and looked bigger and stronger,but they tired in the final as that was their fourth game,compared to us.

The cork B team,beat a good Galway team ,but were beaten by kilkenny ,and Tipp.I only saw them once,but goalkeeper,Cathal Leahy and Glen Kennfick stood out.

Tipperary were unlucky not to get to the final,a soft goal cost them against kilkenny.They won the plate final against a good Clare team, I did not see it,as the final was on the same time.

It was great to see Liam Cahill and Eoin Brislane involved with them.They have the bones of a good minor team next year.

Cork beat Clare handy,in the first game,and beat Dublin in the second game.Clare beat Dublin by a point.

One Clare player that stood out for me ,was their midfield lad, i think he was Jacob loughanne.The lad looks unreal,a bright future.Some awesome long range points.The cork management even applauded them.

To Cork,and Mark landers with Fergal Ryan of Mallow and Blackrocks Fergal Ryan done a super job.They gave every body a run out,and introduced 13 new players to this panel from last year.That team has won at u15,lost to limerick by a point(ten of that team were on the Munster winning team) and now won at u17.
    This management team deserve the minor job.

I stood close to Mark landers and watched him,he looks very astute,and has great attention to detail.

He was constantly making notes of the Clare Dublin game,as Cork had Dublin next.

Two things stood out for me .One was their was a slight delay in games,and Dublin wanted their game with cork pushed back.Landers agreed ,but was admant ,that Cork only give a half an hour,as the game had to start at 1.45,as he was aware if cork won they had the final in another part of the town at four.

The second point was Mark Dolan,our best forward from Douglas ,was playing superb against kilkenny.He got a great goal,after great harrying on the kilkenny lad,but Landers called me over to the side line.He was in a encouraging way, still giving him advice.He knew their was more in him,and was still improving him.

The lad is only 5 ft ,id say,very similar to Joe Deane ,in size and wears a yellow helmet.Now I'm not saying he is the next Deano,but he is definetly one for the future to watch.

He is very brave,and a great first touch, and he has sublime hurling skills.He bounced the ball on the run of the ground at one stage,and made a great goal for cork.

Darragh O' Connell of Na Piarsiagh,made at least five top class saves.

Cian Walsh of the Barrs and Martin Collins from St Patricks are two defenders with lots of potential.

Alec Lutterell from Mallow,at Centre back,I think has a long future in the cork jersey.A super reader of the game,strong and fast,played intermediate for Mallow already,and on the Cork minor panel this year.He is from Tippereary originally,he had a cousin with the Tippereary development team.

Others that looked very good were Joe O'Sullivan from Ballygiblin,Captain,and free taker.

And centre forward,Eoghan Kinery from St Itas.He is similar to Seamus Harnedy,tall and very strong at 17.He is one to watch.A great work ethic,and plenty of hurling.

It was a great tournament ,and the Cork team had a meal paid for in Mallow afterwards.Credit due to them for that.

However ,a lot more needs to be done.The Cork team had to bring their own sandwiches and sun scream themselves.
    All that was provided was bannas and jaffa cakes.

Dublin on the other hand had a bus that took them down to Mallow.They had sandwiches provided by the board,a van supplied their team bus with them at seven in the morning.One of their parents told me,not once were they asked for any money.

As far as i know, they were stopping for a meal on the way back.

A lot of the Cork team travelled in cars.Surely ,a bus could have been arranged for them to leave the city.At least it gets lads used to routine.

The Cork u14s won the all ireland the same day.They met for breakfast,but had to give a 5 euro donation.Things have improved,but Rebel Og who are doing a great job need more support from the County Board.

Fair play to Shane Hourigan, and John Sexton,for referring the games.

Considering a lot of this team will be minors next year ,the future is bright for cork.The talent is their ,it just needs to be developed.

Well done to Landers and all the Cork panel.

I know it does not guarantee success, but having good underage setups has to help.

We have not won minor since 2001 and U21 since 1998(if im correct) and for Cork that is a famine and a half with our tradition.

I know it does not guarantee success, but having good underage setups has to help.

We have not won minor since 2001 and U21 since 1998(if im correct) and for Cork that is a famine and a half with our tradition.
    I think we'd all like more underage success but it's no guarantee of success. Look at Galway and Limerick!

Seamus Harnedy was a late bloomer and hasn't had any success at underage with the county. He plays for St Ita's, an intermediate club. As far as I know the only real success he's had was with UCC in the Fitzgibbon. He was one of the best forwards yesterday and all year. Would he have been picked if JBM wasn't manager? I think Seán Óg was hinting at Harnedy when he wrote that article in the paper before the first Clare game cos he talked about players being on the team from clubs he'd never heard of. The point I'm making is that it's nice to see JBM thinking outside the box and picking players that aren't that obvious

• Advertisement

Archer3083 wrote: »
    I think we'd all like more underage success but it's no guarantee of success. Look at Galway and Limerick!

Seamus Harnedy was a late bloomer and hasn't had any success at underage with the county. He plays for St Ita's, an intermediate club. As far as I know the only real success he's had was with UCC in the Fitzgibbon. He was one of the best forwards yesterday and all year. Would he have been picked if JBM wasn't manager? I think Seán Óg was hinting at Harnedy when he wrote that article in the paper before the first Clare game cos he talked about players being on the team from clubs he'd never heard of. The point I'm making is that it's nice to see JBM thinking outside the box and picking players that aren't that obvious

Thats correct,but i would like to be in the finals at the very least as it helps.Clare started at a great pace and hit the ground running.Cork had nothing likes clare's expierence.

And it helps to get exposure to big games.Yesterday will bring cork on leaps and bound.

Yesterday was like the league play off all over again.Clare dominated cork in the half back line,and should have won in a canter.Clare for all their possesion have failed to put cork away in twdn games..If we got half the ball they had,we would score more.

Clare won't dominate the puckouts in three weeks,as Cork won't allow them to.Cork will break even.The game in June cork redemmed themselves.In three weeks it will be the same.Cork players do not need any motivation,they learned a lot yesterday.

Yesterday was Corks worst game of the championship,and we were so so lucky to draw.That is the bad game out of the system.Cork wont be as poor in three weeks.As poor as we were ,every thing they threw at us,we still came back.It must have been soul destroying for cork to get two goals twice and still have to chase the game.

We never led in the game.Cork can take so much from yesterday.And a lot of people are saying Clare will win.I hope they are favourites,Cork have been at their best as underdogs.Less pressure.

Harnedy was always on the radar,but was overlooked by Ger Fitzgerald and at minor,when Seanie Mcgrath was a selector.

The first time i saw him,was for Pobail Na Scoil,in 2008,in Ballynoe,in an O' Callaghan Cup game.

St Colmans destroyed them,but the lad never gave up.He won ball after ball.He did not score,but the potential was their.He was never given a chance.

The fact they brought him on the u21 team,they knew of him.But they did not even give him a minute of game time.

The Cork panel yesterday had 18 different clubs,ten senior,four junior and four intermediate.

You are spot on,without JBM he would not have got the chance with anyone else.

But Ger Cunnigham and the late Paul O'Connor (Rip) deserve immense credit also,with Eddie Enright,a Tipp selector next year.

Mark landers done the same with the development squad.He had lads from football clubs,but once they can hurl,it does not matter.

Martin Collins from St Patricks,O Donovan Rossa terriority,Joe O Sullivan from Ballygiblin,outside Mtichelestown and Seamus Ronayne from Clyda Rovers are a case in point.All footballing strong holds.

As you said ,they are open minded and think outside the box.

One of the key attributes of JBM is that he sees the bigger picture. I'm sure an All-Ireland has come a year early for JBM. The man seems be intent on building a panel of players that can challenge for All-Irelands for a number of years just like he did during his first reign as manager. That's an amazing quality to have, and even if Cork lose the next day and JBM stepped down, he's leaving a panel of players that can compete for honours next year and that is his great legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Archer3083 wrote: »
    . That's an amazing quality to have, and even if Cork lose the next day and JBM stepped down, he's leaving a panel of players that can compete for honours next year and that is his great legacy.

Jimmy was asked would he retire win lose or draw before Sunday, he replied that he signed up for the three years.

thefloss wrote: »
    Jimmy was asked would he retire win lose or draw before Sunday, he replied that he signed up for the three years.

He will be offered another two year term.It was a decided from what i was told after the kilkenny match.

And he has no other commitments ,so it is likely he will take it.The only change that may occur is Ger Cunnigham ,if cork win,done what he wanted to do,may be tempted to take the top job if Limerick or Waterford asked him to,if they became availble as he wants to manage a team.

Unless he is given the Cork U21 job.He wants to go in to intercounty management and unless he knows he will get a cork job,he could and rightly so move.

A top class coach of the highest order.

I saw this,said post it,hope it helps anyone looking for tickets.

All-Ireland Hurling Final Replay

Applications for tickets for the All-Ireland Hurling Final Replay must be submitted in writing to Cork County Board, Páirc Uí Chaoimh, The Marina, Cork, including remittance (preferable blank cheque) and stamped, self-addressed envelope. The closing date is Wednesday, September 18th and applications which do not meet the above criteria cannot be considered. Email applications will not be accepted and late applications cannot be considered. There is no guarantee that all who apply will get tickets.

Stand - €50, Terrace - €25. Availability of juvenile €10 tickets to be confirme

I watched two matches last night,one was sundays match,the second was the all ireland quater final in 2008, that cork won against clare in thurles.

Okay it was five years ago,but two of clares half back line then started sunday,Donnellan and Bulger.

The great Gerry O grady was centre back.That unit on paper is stronger than the current one.The difference as Donnellan showed sunday,is he drops back to the half back line and defends ,under the puckouts with Connor Ryan.As seen by most of the aerial ball won,they bunched up on cork, and was always an extra man competing with our lads for the ball.

Even when Harnedy got a point he had to beat two clare men to it.You will do that the odd time but nine out of ten times you wont.Cork must create a level playing field for harnedy, lehane, and cronin.

That cannot happen the next day.
    The 2008 game showed the same .Clare who had lorded cork then under the high ball, and donnellan was so good he got a point.

But Cork as the game went on opened up the space.Ben o Connor and Cronin started to win their own ball,as they moved to isolated aeras where it was just one on one.

Timmy mac,didnt dominate o Grady,he just limited the influence as he ran all over the ptich,sumthing Niall mac wasnt doing and was taken off.

Lehane can be just as good as ben was,and the goal was as good as bens in 2005.All he needs is the same aggression and bite as Ben.

Harnedy is as good if not better than Timmy.That is no exaggeration.

It then meant that cork were competing at half forward.Ben got 3 points and Cronin got two from play,of both bulger and donnellan.And as Ben done,and Lehane on sunday proved when you get the ball and run at them,they can be beaten.

These guys are great defenders but are weak when you isolate them on their own,and not as strong on the back foot.

Their too good,that Lehane or Cronin wont win every ball against them in the air.They dont need to.If they won just half the ball played in to them they would score ,and stop them launching wave after wave of attack.That is where the game is won or lost.

And Pat O Connor is good but the weaker of them.

Donnellan and Bulger have improved since 08,so too has cronin,and will be fitter the next day, but its also the great system they now play is covering up their weaknesses.

Harnedy was the only half forward that made himself viable for Nash to hit.

The next day cronin needs to stay at centre forward for the full game .The one player that musnt rotate.He isnt as mobile as harnedy or lehane.

The two wing men lehane and harnedy must be moving all the time,across the ptich ,back and forth,keep the clare half backs honest and dont bunch.

By doing that they will drag both bulger and o connor with them, and create space inside for cronin.

Cronin is more than capable of breaking even with ryan .IF donnellan choose to double up with ryan on cronin ,then once cork spread out,it means their is space inside for cork ,and donnellan is between a rock and a hard place,stay as the sweeper or double mark cronin.

And the likes of kearney and mcloughin can run at them when we win the hard yards.

None of the clare half backs will be dominated for a full game.Its unrealstic to say we can do that.But crowd crowding the middle third is what they love.Any time theres a scrap of three or four players for a breaking ball,clare win it.There as good as Donegal were last year,and new zealand are in rubgy at the breakdown.

Corks movement was pondourous and slow as a snail.Our first touch,when we did get space, was so bad,they allowed clare to close us down immediately.Our backs ,connor sul,in particular,gifted clare a point,and kearney poor touch, done the same when Nash gave a perfect pass.

Corks movement and touch can only get better.The forwards got 1-12 from play against Dublin,all six scored.

On sunday just one scored from play in the first half, and only four the whole game.We still got 2- five on a bad day.

We wont get three goals the next day but we can get one and there is more points in us.

If cork can match clare on points,Clare will struggle to get goals,they would do good to get one.
    Corks defence is getting better with every game,and with more support from the half forward line and half back line, wont be under as much pressure.

But Nash is the biggest reason we have just one goal conceded.
    For all the bad publicty about he's penalites and frees ,people forget the fact he with Donal Og who done it twice,is the only cork keeper , since 1953, to keep a clean sheet for cork in an all ireland final.I have only once seen him at fault at intercounty level for a cork in championship,that was in 2006 in thurles against Clare, when with time up,he let a ball that he could have saved from a 21 yard free from Bernard gaffney in the Munster Intermediate Game .Nash is as equal to Paddy Barry,Cunnigham,Martin Coleman Snr and Cusacks as corks greatest ever keepers in just the last two years.

The great Martin coleman and Cunnigham dont have that record.

Also i saw today the interview after the match where he remembered and consoled with Barry Kelly,on he's sad loss(RIP Catherine).A great mark of respect.

Nash is a through gentleman and very much down to earth.

The Rock got it spot on more or less when he said in the sunday world,cork could get 2-18 and loose to 24 points.The first time since 1990 we got more than a goal in a final and didnt win.

At least it wasnt like 1972 when we got five agarnst kilkenny and lost.On reflection we are so lucky to be still in it.

We were haunted to play so badly and have another chance.It is great to walk town and still see the flags up,and know we played so poor but are well in their the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭zetecescort

I saw this,said post it,hope it helps anyone looking for tickets.

All-Ireland Hurling Final Replay

Applications for tickets for the All-Ireland Hurling Final Replay must be submitted in writing to Cork County Board, Páirc Uí Chaoimh, The Marina, Cork, including remittance (preferable blank cheque) and stamped, self-addressed envelope. The closing date is Wednesday, September 18th and applications which do not meet the above criteria cannot be considered. Email applications will not be accepted and late applications cannot be considered. There is no guarantee that all who apply will get tickets.

Stand - €50, Terrace - €25. Availability of juvenile €10 tickets to be confirme

Really? Don't want to get caught for the rebuild costs of the Pairc:)

Really? Don't want to get caught for the rebuild costs of the Pairc:)

Ha ha yeah you have a point :)

Wednesday, September 11, 2013
    If truth be told, Aidan Walsh finds himself in limbo

GAA Correspondent
    There’s his football with DCU, which has been non-existent so far because of an eligibility rule, but we’ll come back to that.

He says he’s no more wiser than the Cork public about who is going to succeed Conor Counihan as football manager. And he’s just as perplexed about the hurlers’ performance in Sunday’s drawn All-Ireland final.

Acknowledging the result was fair, his Kanturk club-mates Lorcan McLoughlin and Anthony Nash had contrasting performances with the former substituted early in the second-half.

“Lorcan wouldn’t have been too happy. The ball didn’t fall his way but I’ve no doubt that the next day he will want to set that right. The guy is a fine hurler and he can definitely play better and I’ve no doubt when he gets his chance the next day he will take it.

“Anthony is probably at the peak of his game. It was one of his busiest games in terms of frees and the penalty and stuff and in fairness he has a frightening puck of a ball and overall he was happy enough with how things went. He got a few saves but nothing outrageously tough. I was talking to Anthony on Monday and he is looking forward to the replay and having another cut off it.”

Nash found Clare’s net and successfully guarded his own with a hurley made by Walsh. Both the goalkeeper and McLoughlin’s sticks were made by Walsh — his contribution to the cause as much as he would be good enough to feature on both of Cork’s teams were he to split his commitments.

It’s his contribution to the team as much as he would be good enough to feature on both of Cork’s teams had he split his commitments.

“I was at the game the weekend and you are saying, ‘jeez, I could be out there’ but that’s the risk you take and I never said I was going to leave the football and the football has been very good to me.

“Once Conor Counihan stayed on last year, I was always going to give it 100% in all fairness. “Conor is a pure gentleman and deserved nothing less than 100% from me so I thought about it and weighed up the pros and cons of the whole thing.

“But I was always going to go for football because there is a good group of lads there and every year we are contesting for All-Irelands and stuff and I had no problem making the decision.

Based in Dublin again where he is studying in DCU is likely to rule out any possibility of Walsh being a dual player for Cork next year.

“If I was down in Cork I would maybe try and do both, but with the way circumstances fell it is just not possible.”

His football fate in DCU could be decided at a forthcoming higher education GAA agm. “I think DCU are going to try and overturn the rule (there) but it’s up in the air.

“I’d love to play with DCU. They have been very good to me, they have given me the opportunity with the course I have (PE and Biology) and it would be nice to be able to give something back to them.”

International Rules and club football are his most pressing concerns, but he’s keeping his ear to the ground on who’s being mentioned to succeed Counihan. He’s optimistic about the future regardless.

“There are always rumours and you’re asking people high up who would know if there had been anything. There are names thrown about but no concrete decision.

“There is a great group of lads there and we are capable of winning an All-Ireland if we put our mind to it and we weren’t far off it this year. I know Dublin were very strong but up to the last 10 minutes we were still there and if a few small things could have gone our way the result could have been different.

“Every fella is looking forward to next year and getting back into training. Whoever comes in they will do a great job and Conor has a good foundation in place and a good record with trophies.”

Naturally, he doesn’t buy the idea Cork never fulfilled their potential under Counihan.

“There are four or five teams in the country who are all very even. I don’t think we underachieved, we still won four league titles and an All-Ireland and two or three Munster titles and if any manager had that he’d be fairly happy. I can understand where people are coming from with the group of lads we have and the panel we have but that’s just way it goes. We can improve, we are a young team and we blooded U21s this year and another two or three lads will come on again next year.”

• Advertisement

I'm glad Glen Kennefick stood out with the B team - I know the lad and he is living and going to school in North Cork, but playing with the Glen, only back after breaking his leg a few months ago, missed out on competing at the All Ireland school athletics.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement