Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Amprodude wrote: »
    Who could we meet in opposite side of the hat? Kildare, Armagh, Cavan, Wexford?

Galway, Tyrone, Derry and one other I can't think of right now also still in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Yeah their in the draw with Kildare and Tyryone. and derry etc.on the other side where they meet in round 3 and the winneerrs play either Meath Cork London or monaghan or donegal in rnd 4.

Armagh the open style they play would be a soft draw for cork

The leitrim result needs to be taken with a large pinch of salt

yomtea98 wrote: »
    This is what I don't get.By the rules the ref was right but yet he was wrong.I don't understand

The rule is any player that strikes, with any degree of contact with the hurley gets a red card.

Therefore, there should be a good few reds in every game following the letter of the law. If a player swings and gets an opposing player in the leg, he should be sent off if following the exact wording of the rulebook.

Avoid Kildare and Armagh would be our best bets. Armagh's last two games you cannot go by as their oppositions were mismatches. None of them wouldn't like to meet Cork at the same time.
    Kildare as so often proven. and armagh are limited and would make Kissane Gould O Neill AOC look like all stars

Tyrone are the only team that would make cork earn it

The fact is Dublin or Mayo are a huge threat to Cork

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Lads, while I definitely don't think Horgan should have been sent, don't think he'll get off on appeal either. Because there is a definite contact with the helmet, and by the letter of the law, it's a red. GAA will stick by the ref's decision imo.

Thats the problem one rule for some and another for others

COmmon sense needs to apply

If the same rules apply then kk surely would surely have had more men senty off but sure thats just kk being manley

Refs need to apply common sense
    The gaa will prob back the ref

• Advertisement

I think some of our hurling players need to bulk up slightly, we are dominated physically by the bigger teams.

Coughlan missed a lot of training due to a hip injury

Coughlan will get stronger

He will be like ben and jerry slim but sturdy as like them and unlike naughton he has the steel to take punishment

Mind is willing is always half the battle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

Thats the problem one rule for some and another for others

COmmon sense needs to apply

If the same rules apply then kk surely would surely have had more men senty off but sure thats just kk being manley

Refs need to apply common sense
    The gaa will prob back the ref

He definitely should not have been sent off and I hope he gets off on appeal.

Other than that, could you stop being a typical Cork person and leave Kilkenny out of it. If this sort of thing always resulted in a red card, every team would have had more men sent off. Tannion should have been sent off after 20 mins in the All Ireland replay for a far more serious incident last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Martin567 wrote: »

Other than that, could you stop being a typical Cork person and leave Kilkenny out of it. If this sort of thing always resulted in a red card, every team would have had more men sent off. Tannion should have been sent off after 20 mins in the All Ireland replay for a far more serious incident last year.
    Kilkenny are the worst for it do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

yomtea98 wrote: »
    Kilkenny are the worst for it do

Of course they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I would argue it wasn't a "strike".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

I am a limerick man myself. delighted of course.
    The sending off, wrong call.

I bet you would not find one Limerick person to say he deserved to be sent off, like wise find one Cork person to begrudge Limerick their victory today.

Getting back to the match, Cork should have been well up at half time.
    Some really bad misses.
    Cork played some lovely clever hurling in the first half, making space, finding there man, looked to be well in control.

Bit surprised at the second half, Cork seem to fade out of it, right from the start. I know a man down, had it really that much of an affect on the team. Or did Limerick up their game.

The big question. If Cork had the full 15, would Limerick still have won.
    Can i phone a friend :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

I am a limerick man myself. delighted of course.
    The sending off, wrong call.

I bet you would not find one Limerick person to say he deserved to be sent off, like wise find one Cork person to begrudge Limerick their victory today.

Getting back to the match, Cork should have been well up at half time.
    Some really bad misses.
    Cork played some lovely clever hurling in the first half, making space, finding there man, looked to be well in control.

Bit surprised at the second half, Cork seem to fade out of it, right from the start. I know a man down, had it really that much of an affect on the team. Or did Limerick up their game.

The big question. If Cork had the full 15, would Limerick still have won.
    Can i phone a friend :confused:

I think it might have been closer but still think Limerick would have won. They were the better team.

Martin567 wrote: »

I don't. or have not begruded the way KK play the game

My point is JBM and Tomas Mulchay have always defended KK style as manly and never cripped
    KK have to be mentioned considering they are one of the toughest teams around.The refs allow KK play that way so they are not doing anything wrong.But do not penalise Cork then for a clumsy challenge.
    Cork in fairness are like mice in comparision and are too timid.
    I hope the guys that have defended KK style now come out and defend Horgan.Thats my point.
    James Mcgrath is a truly awful ref.

I think it might have been closer but still think Limerick would have won. They were the better team.
    it would be unfair to take it away from limerick but the truth is we will never know.At half time cork were by far the better team and limericks half forward line was dominated by our half back line.

In that heat down a man for 35 minutes away from home and with already limited forward options their was only one winner.

You loose a leg you can hop on the other one.You loose the second leg you still have your hands to crawl

You suddenly loose your hands as well and your in own the jungle alone,you just die a slow painful death in the end.
    That was Cork yesterday.They never lost the will to live but truth be told were always after half time fighting a lost cause espiceally away from home.

it would be unfair to take it away from limerick but the truth is we will never know.At half time cork were by far the better team and limericks half forward line was dominated by our half back line.

In that heat down a man for 35 minutes away from home and with already limited forward options their was only one winner.

You loose a leg you can hop on the other one.You loose the second leg you still have your hands to crawl

You suddenly loose your hands as well and your in own the jungle alone,you just die a slow painful death in the end.
    That was Cork yesterday.They never lost the will to live but truth be told were always after half time fighting a lost cause espiceally away from home.

I hope Cork get written off big time for Kilkenny game and a few harsh things are said in the media about the team. Might put a bit of fire back into the team. Cork love playing in Thurles so hopefully we can turn up for Kilkenny and give them a run for their money. Cant see Cork winning there though in a million years but i can only dream of a win over KK.

I agree, a man down didnt do anything for Corks game plan. Hopefully JBM will learn something about the game yesterday and that he can apply a few different game plans for Kilkenny.

I agree, a man down didnt do anything for Corks game plan. Hopefully JBM will learn something about the game yesterday and that he can apply a few different game plans for Kilkenny.

If your going to have to play a large portion of the game with a numerical disadvantage, then the timing was the best of a bad situation for Cork.
    Just before half time which gave them the break to sort out what to do and talk through it with the players in the dressing room rather than trying to sort things out and re-jig the chairs in the middle of the game.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I would argue it wasn't a "strike".

Seriously?? Hoggie was no where near the ball, he hit the back of his head, it was a silly thing to do and he got caught, and I'm from Cork saying that!

It is a category 2 offense, "striking or attempting to strike, with minimal force" - its a four week suspension.

Cork management thought that Horgan didn't strike him according to Tom Kenny, but the rule covers attempting to strike as well as making contact, which Horgan did.

I hope Cork get written off big time for Kilkenny game and a few harsh things are said in the media about the team. Might put a bit of fire back into the team. Cork love playing in Thurles so hopefully we can turn up for Kilkenny and give them a run for their money. Cant see Cork winning there though in a million years but i can only dream of a win over KK.

its a huge ask but we may be saved for the fact this is their sixth game in seven weeks and extra time took a lot out of them two

I was impressd by corks refusal to wilt yesterday and they showed plenty of heart lacking in us before

The one aera of huge concern we have is no natural full back.Cody is not as naive as allen and will go for the juglar and try kill cork off in the first twenty minutes.Our full back line is going to have the ktichen sink thrown at them.Walsh or hogan or larkin are far twoo many aces at full forward for mcdonnell or o neill

Our hope is spillane plays the game of hes life wed night which I would nt rule out and he pushes for a starting place.My fear before the limerick game was full back would come back and bite us in the arse and it has with a vengenance.

In a strange sort of way if I were limerick id be very worried.If kk win they will have a three week break to that game and shefflin will have more game time under hes belt.Every limerick fan be going for cork as then they play galway or clare.

Limerick and and allen still have a lot of questions to be answered.
    Their is every chance such is hes nature and form guide he will start the same team for that semifinal.

Walsh,hoga and joyce would eat the starting limerick half forward line for breaksfast if their was high balls launched down on them which seems allens way.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Problem is there was a lack of a gameplan for when they went down to 14 players
    Hidalgo wrote: »
    If your going to have to play a large portion of the game with a numerical disadvantage, then the timing was the best of a bad situation for Cork.
    Just before half time which gave them the break to sort out what to do and talk through it with the players in the dressing room rather than trying to sort things out and re-jig the chairs in the middle of the game.

It was shocking the decisions on the sideline, they had the best possible time to rejig things and they also needed to react within the game. It was clear that Limerick were going to keep the spare man in the full back line, so putting Cussen on against two men was madness.

The reality of it was that Cork crumbled, lack of leaders on the pitch and not enough quality on the bench to bring in. I have no doubt that if Cork had 15 men on the pitch, Limerick would have still won. The win over Clare is simply papering over the cracks once again

• Advertisement

Seriously?? Hoggie was no where near the ball, he hit the back of his head, it was a silly thing to do and he got caught, and I'm from Cork saying that!

It is a category 2 offense, "striking or attempting to strike, with minimal force" - its a four week suspension.

Cork management thought that Horgan didn't strike him according to Tom Kenny, but the rule covers attempting to strike as well as making contact, which Horgan did.
    Their was no intent rebel girl.Common since has to apply.You can not live life even to every god damn rule.You got to treat every incident at face value.

Horgan was so far from the ball it was a lazy typical flick of the hurley that he was trying the impossible task of winning the ball.Horgan and a fault of hes game.he never does the simple things.

If every clumsy challenge is red carded and intent is not taken as a factor then hurling as a game is dead in the water.

Their was no intent rebel girl.Common since has to apply.You can not live life even to every god damn rule.You got to treat every incident at face value.

Horgan was so far from the ball it was a lazy typical flick of the hurley that he was trying the impossible task of winning the ball.Horgan and a fault of hes game.he never does the simple things.

If every clumsy challenge is red carded and intent is not taken as a factor then hurling as a game is dead in the water.

There was intent - being so far from the ball, one thing if he was properly challenging for the ball, but once again he was caught behind the man, and made a silly flick for a ball that he was nowhere near. Did Horgan intend to hit his man on the back of the head, I'dyes he did! I don't think it was clumsy, man going for the ball and someone hits him on the back of the head is cyncial in my book.

Reason why people are so outraged is because it is not refereed properly. This common sense approach is complete rubbish, and is exactly the reason why referees are so inconsistent. Work properly by the rulebook or just throw it away. Any impact to the head can be dangerous, helmet or no helmet. It is also cynical - and that has no part in our games.

Problem is there was a lack of a gameplan for when they went down to 14 players

It was shocking the decisions on the sideline, they had the best possible time to rejig things and they also needed to react within the game. It was clear that Limerick were going to keep the spare man in the full back line, so putting Cussen on against two men was madness.

The reality of it was that Cork crumbled, lack of leaders on the pitch and not enough quality on the bench to bring in. I have no doubt that if Cork had 15 men on the pitch, Limerick would have still won. The win over Clare is simply papering over the cracks once again
    Completely dissagree.
    Bar moylan what options up front had we to use....
    As shown by the use of naughton and cussen we were limited.
    What game plan could we have done
    Fact is we could have done f***k all in reality to win it with a man down espiceally as he was also a forward.

We had leaders as our backs were superb and cronin really gave it hes all just back from ill health.

If we lacked leaders and crumbled we would not have brought it back to two points with 15 minutes to go

O Neill joyce cronin harnedy and the outstanding Mclouhlin all led from the front yesterday.
    When limerick brought on the subs we ran out of steam and any limerick fan will admit the score line flatterred them in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

There was intent - being so far from the ball, one thing if he was properly challenging for the ball, but once again he was caught behind the man, and made a silly flick for a ball that he was nowhere near. Did Horgan intend to hit his man on the back of the head, I'dyes he did! I don't think it was clumsy, man going for the ball and someone hits him on the back of the head is cyncial in my book.

Reason why people are so outraged is because it is not refereed properly. This common sense approach is complete rubbish, and is exactly the reason why referees are so inconsistent. Work properly by the rulebook or just throw it away. Any impact to the head can be dangerous, helmet or no helmet. It is also cynical - and that has no part in our games.

I don't think it was intentional at all. Both players were facing into the sun. Paudie lost the ball in it same as Horgan did. It was completely accidental IMO.

well if they want tn make it like basketball a no contact sport the game is fu**ed.

Cynical,ah stop the lights in fairness.
    Horgan I have never seen pull a dirty stroke in hes life.He at the best of times afraid of hes own shadow

I saw more timber and dangerous play between cahalane and downes two years ago in an u21 final.

The limerick player was fine.he just thought for a moment he was in the ul swimming pool the way he dropped to the ground.
    Mackey and ring were turning in their grave if they thouhht that was dirty.It was no where near dangerous play.

You say the word flick.I agree it was a flick of the hurley.
    Hence not a two handed pull or strike where extreme force is meant and applied.
    Flick is a sheer movement of the wrists.reaction and instinct to win a ball with no force or intent required.

Thats was horgans. Flick in a nutshell and more mistimed and clumsy than anything else.

COrk play Armagh or galway in a neutral venue in the football.
    A walk in the park,problem is this game will make Aoc.gould.Kissane and O Neill look better than they are and get roasted by dublin or mayo next up if we meet them.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

For me the red card was way over the top. There is no intent what so ever and as some posters have already mentioned it was merely a mistimed flick. I would be fairly confident that not one current intercounty hurler would regard it as a red card offence. These things often happen and common sense should prevail in my opinion. But like with most things opinions differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I'm a Tipp man and I think that Cork @10-1 are great value to win the all Ireland.
    A very average Waterford team playing badly sholud have beaten Kilkenny on Saturday night.:cool:

• Advertisement

Indie. wrote: »
    For me the red card was way over the top. There is no intent what so ever and as some posters have already mentioned it was merely a mistimed flick. I would be fairly confident that not one current intercounty hurler would regard it as a red card offence. These things often happen and common sense should prevail in my opinion. But like with most things opinions differ.
    I agree totally.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement