Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

strange doesnt begin to desribe today.

More like with CC.."A leopard never changes hes spots or a case of old habits die hard.

It was same old Cork.And from dummy teams to poor management on the line,nothing different than the last 3 years.
    At U21 hurling,minor hurling and senior football we are beaten before we even take the field.And what is very sad each team has wonderfully talented players.

Picking Gould over Kelly and not starting Sheehan were almost criminal offences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Cheers, it was hard to see from where I was.

I see the Camogie girls had a seriously impressive win against Dublin last night, 5-23 v 0-04...as pure a drubbing as you are likely to see.

I find it truly hard to follow Coiunihan's belief that his one and only tactic can win games against the top teams. Beggars belief really. Surely the players are píssed off aswell - I know I would be. So much talent going to waste.
    Well done the camoige team.

Picking Gould over Kelly and not starting Sheehan were almost criminal offences

I have not enough fingers on both hands to count hes mistakes over the years.Letting Kissane on today for full 70.Jamie sul fit or not could not have been much worse.

Cork v Kerry in the ladies football next weekend - should be a great game!

despite watching the tennis and the hurling, still so disappointed about the football and Counihan!
    At least the ladies dont just have great players...they have a great manager in Eammon Ryan.If he went for any job in Cork football the CCB would probably decline him and say he has no proven record such is the joke of our set up.

Cork had at least a cork man involved with the Lions the weekend.Dr.Eanna Falvey a cloyne and great friend of Donal Og Cusack.Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

1. Why did Ciaran Sheehan not start ?
    2. Taking off Cahalane when likes of canty/kissane were in my view worse
    3. Was Paddy Kelly injured ?
    4. Marty Duffy is a joke of a ref!

On the positives James Loughrey is a fantastic addition to the team a real find.

• Advertisement

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    1. Why did Ciaran Sheehan not start ?
    2. Taking off Cahalane when likes of canty/kissane were in my view worse
    3. Was Paddy Kelly injured ?
    4. Marty Duffy is a joke of a ref!

On the positives James Loughrey is a fantastic addition to the team a real find.
    not being smart to you do,so dont take it as i am but How long is a piece of string???

Id say no one knows the answers to what are valid questions and ones we all would like to know.
    Loughrey is fantastic but a wasted talent with us.He would make any team.

Duffy is a poor ref but he did not cost us today in fact he gave us a few soft ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Cahalane is a half back. There is no point trying to shoehorn him into corner back. (I know he played badly but I think he'll improve)
    Sheehan has to start.
    Direct football into the forwards. They are big and strong enough or else fast and cute enough to get their own ball.
    Paddy Kelly should start.
    4 points and I'm sure there are many others

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Great crowd in Killarney today. Fair play to the Cork support, kept the team going well.

CC is getting a lot of flak here, and i'm not surprised. His team selection was suspect, on top of the dummy team stuff, really not endearing himself to the Cork fans i'd say. Sheehan and Pierce O'Neill should have started.

From a Kerry point of view, i'm relieved we held on, but I though we probably deserved it on the balance of play. Can't leave leads slip that though, was nail biting stuff towards the end.

Duffy was a joke, but was equally bad for both teams. Cork could have had a penalty when they were piling forward, and Kerry got a few soft frees. The one against Gooch was a disgrace, and if tackles like that are penalized then we might as well have no tackle in the game, it was textbook Too many incidents to go through, but Kerrigan was blessed to stay on the field. Canty's yellow was odd then, when Darran O'Sullivan ran into him, and they both pulled each other to ground.

I don't see either team winning the AI this year, but there were some bright sparks for the future for both teams.

I really like Hurley as a player and Johnny Buckley and Shane Enright had great games for Kerry before running out of steam.

Best of luck for the rest of the Championship and we might see ye in September, or if not see ye in PUC next Feb.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I think Cahalane could been tried in manmarking Cooper, embarassing to take him off with 10 seconds left in the first half. Whoever Kerry have at centre forward, you need to man mark them tight, be it Cooper or O Sullivan.

Kelly does the same job as Cooper did for Kerry, or O Sullivan did to dictate the game and be a leader. He takes the ball on and I don't think I've ever seen him make a bad pass, compared to one Cork back who ended up kick passing a 20 yard pass out over the sideline 45 m out from his own goal.

Direct ball, Sheehan showed he was well able to win a high dropping ball - fast kickpassing with a lot of movement from the forwards. Playing Mayo or Dublin or Donegal, this team will be destroyed. Not to have an intensity or fight against Kerry?? Against Kerry of all teams!!!

Cork should have had a penalty when there was a sliding tackle, then Hurley I think handled the ball on the ground, but Duffy gave a free in. Duffy was shocking, still can't understand how a referee who got a gamechanging decision so badly wrong in a previous game can be allowed referee a provincial final. Kerry dropped the intensity in the second half, which was only natural given their position, but for some wasteful shooting should have been out of sight and coasting at half time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

Cahalane was attrotious. He should never have started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Jamie Cal

Counihan and co. were clueless all day, I couldn't believe he'd watched that hammering we got in the first half without making a change. And the kickouts! My f-cking word, the kickouts. Juvenile stuff. I really hope we get our change of management after this year, I've great respect for Conor but he's had his go at a 2nd and it's time to move on. I mean, Jim McGuinness in charge of Cork and we'd batter anyone.

That said, Kerry at full flight today looked a lot better than we did at full flight, much more fluent and concise, poppin' passes here, there and everywhere. But we our backs being so poorly organised was making them look lurrrrrvly.

I think we missed the likes of Ray Carey, Jamie Sul, Eoin Cotter today, fellas that'll stay in at corner back and just that. And yeah, Cahalane was bad, but taking him off 30 seconds before half-time, what's that gonna do? It's not helping the team or him. He's never the man to be out midfield anyway. Other than that, I was really really impressed with Loughrey, he was outstanding in his work ethic. Brian Hurley too. If only we'd Colm O'Neil instead of Goulding, though. Hopefully Denis O'Sullivan can break into the team next year if he's training away himself or whatever.

Jamie Cal wrote: »
    Counihan and co. were clueless all day, I couldn't believe he'd watched that hammering we got in the first half without making a change. And the kickouts! My f-cking word, the kickouts. Juvenile stuff. I really hope we get our change of management after this year, I've great respect for Conor but he's had his go at a 2nd and it's time to move on. I mean, Jim McGuinness in charge of Cork and we'd batter anyone.

That said, Kerry at full flight today looked a lot better than we did at full flight, much more fluent and concise.

I think we missed the likes of Ray Carey, Jamie Sul, Eoin Cotter today, fellas that'll stay in at corner back and just that. And yeah, Cahalane was bad, but taking him off 30 seconds before half-time, what's that gonna do? It's not helping the team or him. He's never the man to be out midfield anyway. Other than that, I was really really impressed with Loughrey, he was outstanding in his work ethic. Brian Hurley too. If only we'd Colm O'Neil instead of Goulding, though.

Colm o Neill or no Colm would make no difference as he would not see fast direct ball as shown last year when he played.To win an all star and score 2-10 from play with so little ball was just against all the odds.Cork would not have won with him as he would be starved off the ball.

Cork could have Corkey,Joe Kavanagh,Larry tompkins,paul mcgrath or even Peter Canavan,the gooch ,Bernard Brogan or Michael Murphy or Mcfadden or Maurice Fitzgerald and it would still not make a blind bit of difference on this cork team as they would get no ball.

It would be like pissing against the wind.

I agree regards Carey and Cotter would have been better than Kissane at corner back at the end of the game.
    Cotter was so pissed off not getting any games and like sean kiely got a raw deal by couinhan.

I dont blame Cotter for quitting the panel as he said it was due to work commiments.But he was peeved off he was getting no games.After being superb in Kerry in 2011 he was dropped which was another shambolic move by counihan.

We dont need Mcguinneee who is a shrewd tactian to manage cork as Cork have the footballers ,we just need someone better than Couhinan.

When u see what JBM has done with the hurlers a year and a half in with limited rescources pales in comparision to what Couihnan has failed to do with the best footballing talent ever produced by the county.

I agree it was a shocking move to take cahalane off the way he did.He made him a scape goat and left hes favourite Kissane on to the very end.

Couhinan won one all ireland and in fairness we stumbled at that to win it.He got hes second term as he was a winning manager.The fact he got two more years was a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Jamie Cal

Colm o Neill or no Colm would make no difference as he would not see fast direct ball as shown last year when he played.To win an all star and score 2-10 from play with so little ball was just against all the odds.Cork would not have won with him as he would be starved off the ball.

Cork could have Corkey,Joe Kavanagh,Larry tompkins,paul mcgrath or even Peter Canavan,the gooch ,Bernard Brogan or Michael Murphy or Mcfadden or Maurice Fitzgerald and it would still not make a blind bit of difference on this cork team as they would get no ball.

It would be like pissing against the wind.

I agree regards Carey and Cotter would have been better than Kissane at corner back at the end of the game.
    Cotter was so pissed off not getting any games and like sean kiely got a raw deal by couinhan.

I dont blame Cotter for quitting the panel as he said it was due to work commiments.But he was peeved off he was getting no games.After being superb in Kerry in 2011 he was dropped which was another shambolic move by counihan.

We dont need Mcguinneee who is a shrewd tactian to manage cork as Cork have the footballers ,we just need someone better than Couhinan.

When u see what JBM has done with the hurlers a year and a half in with limited rescources pales in comparision to what Couihnan has failed to do with the best footballing talent ever produced by the county.

I agree it was a shocking move to take cahalane off the way he did.He made him a scape goat and left hes favourite Kissane on to the very end.

Couhinan won one all ireland and in fairness we stumbled at that to win it.He got hes second term as he was a winning manager.The fact he got two more years was a joke.

I'd agree man, no doubt. My dad & I just couldn't believe he could be so...I wanna say naive, to not make any change in the first half.

And I know what you mean by the forwards, but anytime we did go to put the ball in Goulding wouldn't show for it. In fact, Goulding won't show for it, he never does, if his frees aren't on point (to be fair to the lad he's a good free taker) then he's not adding much to the game. Himself and Kerrigan can be such lazy aul' b**tards at times, haha.

And yeah, well said about the hurlers, my dad only said it to me an hour ago, someone takes Killkenny out of it and we could be looking down the nose of an All-Ireland.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Cotter is playing FB for the intermediates afaik!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Cahalane was attrotious. He should never have started.

If only you had told us before the game..... I would have picked up the phone and rang CC and told him your pearl of wisdom.
    Hindsight is a wonderful gift. .....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

Counihan hasn't learned from past mistakes unfortunately.

Too many talented players available to be totally despondent but if Cork are to win an AI, it will be in spite of the manager.

Rant : Would they ever **** off with this dummy team ****e.

If only you had told us before the game..... I would have picked up the phone and rang CC and told him your pearl of wisdom.
    Hindsight is a wonderful gift. .....
    Haven boy i wouldnt worry bout what ure man said.He has no clue to make a comment like that.He just comes on with a one worded statement with no fact to back it up.

He really defines the meaning of the hurler on the dtich.

Anyone with any knowledge of Cork football will tell u Cahalane is a tremendous talent.He was played out of position for the U21s at full back but i can understand why as it was him or Conor Dorman .Cahalane is a victim of hes own talents in he is played everywhere and like Keith Earls in the rubgy could be a jack of all trades and master of none if they dont play him only as a half back.

He will be better.Midfield made him look worse.Do you blame the lad himself,no you blame the manager.
    Cahalane will be back and should have marked Cooper like i said during the week.

Cotter is playing FB for the intermediates afaik!
    No he is not with them .
    You may be thinking Eoin O Mahony.He is full back and can stay there.

Sean Kiely is good enough for the panel at half back but he will be playing in fraher field thursday night in the junior final.A man treated badly also.Never got a fair roll of the dice.

The players CC perist with are not good enough.Like i said before for some it is hard to get on the Cork team but for others it is harder to get off it.

Read the irish times report this morning "sometimes you learn more from a defeat than a win", Unfortunately we don't have the manager that will learn from the defeat

I was thinking hurling, Eoin Dillon! Heat getting to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Cork's biggest obstacle is Conor Counihan!!!

I'm fearful that if we get through the qualifiers and GC, NO'L and PK have a decent enough match that he will start with them in the 1/4 Final. :(

• Advertisement

Read the irish times report this morning "sometimes you learn more from a defeat than a win", Unfortunately we don't have the manager that will learn from the defeat

I was thinking hurling, Eoin Dillon! Heat getting to me!
    He was in America and is back hurling with Milford and them.A good committed hurler but short at senior.

If youre a young team you can learn but the fact there is a core group of expierenced players beaten yet again in Kerry is just demoralsing.

The worst thing Kerry done was they let us come back.It covered up the cracks.

He will probably think by starting AoC the next day now with Canty in the middle that we can win midfield and he probably put Aidan Walsh half forward with gould still there,that is how poor a manager he is.

If Dublin had us yeaterday we were beaten out the gate.I cant see how we would beat Mayo either.Donegal as weird as it may sound seem to our best chance as their half the side without lacey and seem a tired and one trick pony now.

The last thing we need is a soft draw in the qualifer,Kildare again as they will make us look better than we are.

Another year of this.I hate to even say it but we would be nearly better getting hammered out the gate as CC might go.That seems unlikely as he will say like the 5 new guys yesterday its a young cork team and as proved by using cahalane as a scapegoat he will blame the younger guys before blaming hes tried and trusted as if he done that he will admit he was wrong.

Amongst all the doom and gloom we are lucky in cork as at least we have the Hurling on Sunday to refocus the minds.

With limited rescources at least JBM and hes management team wont be lacking tactically.JBM has made mistakes but at least he does not repeat them over and over again.

There is stand tickets on sale from 6-8 for sunday from Pairc U Rinn this wednesday.

3 Munster titles up for graps this week.The hurling and the Junior footballers thursday night and the ladies Saturday night.
    Id say there is 2 definetly in the bag.

The hurling will be close.Limerick are slight favourites in the bookies.It suits us when Limerick are favourites.They dont cope too well with expectation but relish the under dog role.At least on thursday we will know who both teams are and unlike the football can actually enjoy the build up rather than be deprived of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Shocking stuff by Cork. If CC doesnt go soon im going to crack up. Even the Kerry fans i met yesterday said hes the reason Cork havent won more with him in charge.

Manager Conor Counihan bemoaned Cork’s poor start for yesterday’s defeat but insisted there are plenty of positives to take away from their second-half recovery.

Revealing the camp had been hit by a sickness bug in the build-up to the game and had affected his selection plans, he admitted his team weren’t allowed to play in the first half.  “We just under-performed, didn’t get off the blocks quick enough. When you do that against Kerry, or any team, you’re going to be punished.  “Yeah, in the first half I thought they had most of the initiative. Then they kicked on and got the goal. You just can’t allow that.  “We seemed to have difficulty holding onto the ball in middle of the field in the first half. Then we got on top there a little bit in the second half, and maybe the flow of the game started to come with us. 

“We were a bit unlucky at the end with the few chances that might have ended up with a goal.”  Counihan also highlighted Ciaran Sheehan’s recurrence of a knee injury as a setback while Patrick Kelly didn’t start after being hit by the bug. 

With lessons learned, he believes they can approach their fourth round qualifier at the end of the month with optimism.  “If we played like that for the first half we’d be well there with the best, but we certainly won’t be anywhere on the first-half performance.”  Cork’s defence appeared to be crying out for changing well before half time, but Counihan held off.  “Well, we’d hoped to settle. It’s difficult to get it right, try to hold it, hang in,” he said. “We were a bit indecisive in terms of setting ourselves up at times.

We had a particular plan and it didn’t work that well. In fairness to Kerry, they worked the ball well and used the overlap and the extra man well.”  An equalising goal chance may have been on the cards in injury time had Daniel Goulding not elected to boot over a 45 and instead of kicking towards the Kerry goalmouth.  Did the Cork sideline give him any instruction.  “We didn’t get that close to him, to be honest with you. I think, to be fair now, Daniel didn’t know it was going to be the last kick. I assume he thought there was going to be another play in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Counihan has to go.

He brought Sam back after 20 years and I will be forever grateful, but he has taken the team as far as he can.

We need something new and different. This team has a AI in them. No question about it.

There goes the thought of any hope at all.
    What a complete load of rubbish by Couinhan.Its no wonder the CCB are mad about him,he is like them,self defiant to the last and the failure to accept Cork were truly beaten off the park.

I said it yesterday the comeback would be used as an excuse and here we go.Bring out the voilin for **** sake Conor.

Bugs and injuries dont have anything to do with Kissane,Gould all starting.Why not replace like with like.Collins if kelly was out.

Sheehan did not look too bad when he came on.Start him and build up a lead at the very least.

Tom Clancy from fermoy was good during the league ,named in a dummy team but not even used from the bench.He was in the Examiner saturday.That is awful treatment.This really shows the flaws of the dummy team.

I had to laugh...a lot of postives in the second half and if we fix our mistakes a nd learn from them were fine.Is he serious???

Kerry stopped playing in the second half.

The biggest mistake that needs to be fixed is our manager needs to resign.Will he,not a hope.Do not be suprised if he went for another term next year.

To show the shambles that the CCB is,our minor hurling and football managers have not been up for debate at any meeting yet.Pat Kenneally has not been heard of to give any views of the defeat since.No body is accountable.What a joke.

Both terms are up but not a whisper about whether they are looking for new ones yet.

The commitee to find the U21 manager has not even been set up yet.

Cork football is entering a dark time with stormy waters ahead.God knows who the U21 manager is going to be.

Diarmuid O Donovan is over that now.He is a big fan of Teddy Holland,Teddy mac etc

Counihan has to go.

He brought Sam back after 20 years and I will be forever grateful, but he has taken the team as far as he can.

We need something new and different. This team has a AI in them. No question about it.
    That can never be taken away from him and credit due but we stumbled to that all ireland.Dublin and Down were poor and should have beaten us.Limerick also had us on the rack but lacked the self belief to beat us.

Since 2010 we have gone backwards.Dublin have improved dramatically while Donegal and Mayo have also got much better.

The standards are getting higher every year while Cork get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

The last thing we need is a soft draw in the qualifer,Kildare again as they will make us look better than we are.

Larry and Shay made you look better than you are! ;)

Larry and Shay made you look better than you are! ;)
    thats true indeed, we would not of beaten Meath in 90 without Fahys 3 superb points from play or Tompkins infulence.
    We gave ye Brian Murphy to balance it up a small bit though.

I dont mean any disrespect to Kildare but i think Kildare are a team in decline and like Cork have outgrown their manager.I think most Kildare fans would agree.Kildare style of play suits us and makes heroes out of guys like Kissane,Gould ,O Neill etc.

Kildare are similar to Cork,good young talent that are coming through but need a fresh voice and a new direction or they will be wasted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Only messing lad. I doubt Kildare will even get to round 4.

Cork will beat any of the qualifier teams including Tyrone. I would only fancy them against Mayo out of their possible 1/4 final opponents.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement