Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writers' Bloc - Creative Writing Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

HF were giving away this book for free with other purchases a while back and i've started it now, it's quite enjoyable

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temeraire_(series)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

bluewolf wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder if that's why a lot of people publish under false names, their families :pac:

i wrote a short story once from 1st-person about bullying
    completely and utterly made up, but i got a lot of concerned questions and strange looks for a while from the family
    i'd say they're just too close to you so they link everything

don't worry about it, focus on the other feedback and keep writing :)

I know exactly what you mean, Bluewolf! :)
    I got the very same with my story. How about some praise instead? :rolleyes:

They are too close if they can't see the brilliance of a good story, aren't they?

Thank you so much for those words. This makes it so much easier for me to continue something that I enjoy and that I'm actually pretty good at :pac:
    I don't know if I could ever let my mother read my stuff. It's fairly tame, but still, the psychological sword of parental (dis)approval is hard to escape.

I too prefer to not let anybody who's close to me read what I write. I don't want them to get the "wrong idea" about me. But at the same time, those are the ones you'd like approval from :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I can just about let my sister read mine, probably because she lets me read hers.

I show my OH most of the times. At first I was frightened he'd think I'm a weirdo, but he really liked it :)

It's good to have someone you trust to try stories on :)
    (even if they'd be a tad bias) :o

Do you usually write in English (I think you're Swedish, apologies if I've mixed you up with someone)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Leafonthewind

I self-published a book after some marvellous feedback. However, my mother got concerned about the storyline and ever since I've had a hard time thinking I'm good at what I do - I've even had a hard time actually getting to writing again.

Is this just me being silly? Or does anyone feel the same? :o

After five people read my book and loved it, my mother decided my writing a novel wasn't some flight of fancy on my part and asked to read it. I warned her it wasn't really her thing (she reads biographies and non-fiction; I wrote a paranormal young adult book), but she insisted she wanted to read it. A couple of weeks later, she told me she read the first three chapters and skipped to the end... :rolleyes:

At first I was hurt and disappointed, but I know she's proud because she's told her entire family I'm writing a book and that's what I've decided to focus on. I think mothers want to protect us from rejection and failure, and it makes their feedback harsher and more subjective.

It's just one of those parental things you have to take with a shrug and a roll of your eyes. Focus on the other feedback, keep writing and from now on take your mother's concerns with a grain of salt. I know my mother won't be seeing the edited version until I'm ready to submit it for publication! ;)

After five people read my book and loved it, my mother decided my writing a novel wasn't some flight of fancy on my part and asked to read it. I warned her it wasn't really her thing (she reads biographies and non-fiction; I wrote a paranormal young adult book), but she insisted she wanted to read it. A couple of weeks later, she told me she read the first three chapters and skipped to the end... :rolleyes:

At first I was hurt and disappointed, but I know she's proud because she's told her entire family I'm writing a book and that's what I've decided to focus on. I think mothers want to protect us from rejection and failure, and it makes their feedback harsher and more subjective.

It's just one of those parental things you have to take with a shrug and a roll of your eyes. Focus on the other feedback, keep writing and from now on take your mother's concerns with a grain of salt. I know my mother won't be seeing the edited version until I'm ready to submit it for publication! ;)

To be honest, you should probably appreciate her honesty. No matter how good your book is it's not going to appeal to everyone. If she enjoys your next effort you'll know it's sincere.

Awww, thanks for the encouranging words.

I do love hearing these stories! It makes me realise I'm not alone with this "problem". I can relate to your story as well, as I also felt really hurt that my mum focused on the "bad bits" so much that she couldn't see the bigger picture of my story.

Next time I'll know better than to take it too hard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Leafonthewind

To be honest, you should probably appreciate her honesty. No matter how good your book is it's not going to appeal to everyone. If she enjoys your next effort you'll know it's sincere.

And I wasn't expecting her to enjoy it in the first place. But I held a secret hope she'd be blown away. I do appreciate her honesty. It would certainly be worse if she pretended to like it but I felt she was lying. And I doubt she'll enjoy the next effort. I'm writing a trilogy!
    Awww, thanks for the encouranging words.

I do love hearing these stories! It makes me realise I'm not alone with this "problem". I can relate to your story as well, as I also felt really hurt that my mum focused on the "bad bits" so much that she couldn't see the bigger picture of my story.

Next time I'll know better than to take it too hard :)

It's reassuring to hear others have been there. And these feelings need to be aired out once in a while. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i wish my other books would arrive :( i ordered them before C.A.

yeah, i just got a big stack of books from the postman
    yus :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Sometimes I wonder if my postman secretly dislikes me. With all the books he has to deliver, I must be adding significantly to the weight of his bag. If I was him, I'd be pissed about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

I wouldn't allow my mam to read my book. There are one or two saucy moments that I just couldn't have her reading. My sister is currently reading it but is having issues with hearing me narrate rather than a fictional character.

So, really family aren't the best to sound things off.

Fewcifur wrote: »
    My sister is currently reading it but is having issues with hearing me narrate rather than a fictional character.

She might start suspecting you're a werewolf. Go check her room for silver bullets.

yeah, i just got a big stack of books from the postman
    yus :cool:

Do you live in an alternate universe where there are 65 hours a day and no Breaking Bad?

Kinski wrote: »
    She might start suspecting you're a werewolf. Go check her room for silver bullets.

That's kinda how it's going alright. My Dad just got back from a business trip to Transylvania... my Mam won't stop making really bad jokes about werewolves and vampires. I'm going back to their house tonight and I'm dreading the stockpile she has ready to unleash.

Do you live in an alternate universe where there are 65 hours a day and no Breaking Bad?

I am on 2 weeks of holidays and i read quite quickly.
    these would be gone by the weekend if i werent heading off with a friend

past halfway through the one i started this morning despite all my running around ;s

i haven't seen any breaking bad, apart from following fringe and dr who (and now dr who is over) i haven't been watching tv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

I'm working on my plot for NaNoWriMo. My protagonist has a mentor figure early in the story, and not surprisingly, about two thirds through the plot, said mentor is killed.

Is there any way to avert that being a ridiculous cliché? I'm rereading my plot notes and it just seems as though I'm tugging on cheap heart strings. Which I am, but... I guess I'm looking for a way to have that cheap shot not so obvious. Any ideas?

Antilles wrote: »
    I'm working on my plot for NaNoWriMo. My protagonist has a mentor figure early in the story, and not surprisingly, about two thirds through the plot, said mentor is killed.

Is there any way to avert that being a ridiculous cliché? I'm rereading my plot notes and it just seems as though I'm tugging on cheap heart strings. Which I am, but... I guess I'm looking for a way to have that cheap shot not so obvious. Any ideas?

Have him killed along with 60,000 other people in a natural disaster? Don't even mention directly that he died, just have the reader infer it.

Have him killed along with 60,000 other people in a natural disaster? Don't even mention directly that he died, just have the reader infer it.

Maybe nobody will notice that one cliche if I scatter a few more in through the story :D

Have him killed by an avalanche of clichés (or in a riot in Clichy sous Bois)?

• Advertisement

Been reading a lot of Flannery O'Conner lately. Her crafting of short stories is so masterful that they almost stop being enjoyable, and start becoming a massive "YOU SUCK COMPARED TO THIS" to the aspiring writer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

Managed to finish a short story just before the competition deadline. Relieved!

Glad to have 'purged' the story from my head - I was getting tired of it rattling around in my mind every day.

Managed to finish a short story just before the competition deadline. Relieved!

Glad to have 'purged' the story from my head - I was getting tired of it rattling around in my mind every day.

Ah yes, nothing like a good aul purge.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Arlecchina

Kinski wrote: »
    Been reading a lot of Flannery O'Conner lately. Her crafting of short stories is so masterful that they almost stop being enjoyable, and start becoming a massive "YOU SUCK COMPARED TO THIS" to the aspiring writer.

I hear you. I was reading an O'Connor collection last week and nearly threw the book across the room in despair. Damn her. I think that's the first time I've ever been tempted to lob a book because it was so bloody good.

Finishing off my NaNoWriMo character sheets, I just realised everyone in the story over the age of 50 has a thick moustache.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Finishing off my NaNoWriMo character sheets, I just realised everyone in the story over the age of 50 has a thick moustache.

Especially the ladies?

Fuuuuudge! I haven't done any solid prep at all! I knew there was something I meant to do today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

You could somehow acknowledge that it was a cliche? I have no idea how you'd do that if its earlier than our century fantasy. I heard mentor and I thought fantasy:P
    Or you could put a bit of a twist on the cliche. Like have the protoganist kill the mentor? Perhaps as a mercy kill?

I'm flagging it early by having the character dismiss his young ward's concerns about his health by saying "I'm not some cliche mentor character, you know. I'm not going to die on page 150."

He dies on page 152.

• Advertisement

slaughterhouse 5 is on the bookdepository 24h offers
    i'd say it'll be sold out in 5mins

seems a bit odd though

Advertisement