Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writers' Bloc - Creative Writing Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

Let me be the first to say 'Om nom nom nom'!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Is a cupcake the same as a bun?
    A cupcake is a bun with ideas above it's station.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You make a better cook than a photographer :P

Those do look nice.

:pac::pac:
    phone camera with hands covered in blue

they're still blue :rolleyes:
    between that and the blue nail polish i really am bluewolf today :pac:

thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Have you a recipe? My son loves baking and cookie monster.

Honest, it's not for me.

lol :pac:

taken from my post this morning on tll
    They're quite easy. But as coshla says, WEAR GLOVES. Even nail polish remover hasn't worked I also used the special thick thick concentrated food colouring, not the normal watery one

basic cupcake recipe:
    http://www.joyofbaking.com/VanillaCupcakes.html
    scroll down past the video

make the frosting at the end, set aside some of it uncoloured (for the eyes)
    then put in the teeniest drop of the colouring, mix
    then, separately, get a bowl and tip some dessicated coconut into it (can just buy a bag of it at tesco), teeniest drop of the colouring, tiny drop of water just to dilute the colouring a bit - really tiny amount, and mix it up a bit with a knife or fork or something. bit of stirring but it colours it quite well.
    then when the cupcakes have baked and cooled (i had a deformed cookie monster because i was too impatient and his face melted), put on loads of icing, dip the bun icing-side-down into coconut, voila
    i used tiny dark chocolate drops for the eyes as well of course

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

All this wear gloves nonsense... sure how else do we get to connect with our ingredients on a deep and spiritual level before bashing them up, cooking them and devouring them. It's like a lil sacrifice to the tummy gawds.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CD.

I found a recipe for mini brownies, 3 ingredients and 88 calories per brownie. They were nice but they were a bit dry/needed something. They were made without adding chopped chocolate/walnuts/nuts in general. they tasted better the next day though and they tasted kinda dark chocolatey which was strange considering they consist mostly of nutella.

(for anyone interested, 1/2 cup nutella, 5 tablespoons flour, 1 egg, mix all together in a bowl. spoon into muffin cases/muffin tin cook at 177 degrees (celcious, 350 farenheit) for about 10-12 minutes. the original recipe said it made 12, I got 9 out of them.)

also, it makes nutella extraction easier (if you have a metal cup measure) so let the cup rest in hot water for a few seconds, helps loosen to nutella at the edges and makes it easier to get out of the cup.

Now I really want to bake >.< but i'm sick. I could poison everyone else in the family though...or hoard it all to myself. "You can't have them. they're diseased."

CD. wrote: »
    I found a recipe for mini brownies, 3 ingredients and 88 calories per brownie. They were nice but they were a bit dry/needed something. They were made without adding chopped chocolate/walnuts/nuts in general. they tasted better the next day though and they tasted kinda dark chocolatey which was strange considering they consist mostly of nutella.

(for anyone interested, 1/2 cup nutella, 5 tablespoons flour, 1 egg, mix all together in a bowl. spoon into muffin cases/muffin tin cook at 177 degrees (celcious, 350 farenheit) for about 10-12 minutes. the original recipe said it made 12, I got 9 out of them.)

also, it makes nutella extraction easier (if you have a metal cup measure) so let the cup rest in hot water for a few seconds, helps loosen to nutella at the edges and makes it easier to get out of the cup.

that sounds like it would be fairly dry all right
    i'd say maybe um... bit of golden syrup (honestly), bit of milk and butter.

As for the nutella... I just stick it in the microwave for a few seconds :pac:

• Advertisement

I found a recipe for mini brownies, 3 ingredients and 88 calories per brownie. They were nice but they were a bit dry/needed something.

Throw in a sprinkle of cayenne chilli! Some butter. Some nuts. Honey. Peanut butter if you're mad. Reese's Chocolate peanutbutter sauce if ya have it. Nib the shiz outta those nuts. You can add some appropriate herbs too. Chocolate goes so well with so much.
    bluewolf wrote: »
    As for the nutella... I just stick it in the microwave for a few seconds :pac:

Are you not terrified that the remanents of the foil seal will explode in your face? Like in Gremlins, but less frog like?

Well of course you take the foil off first

bluewolf wrote: »
    Well of course you take the foil off first

.... every bit of it?

yes?

it looks quite pretty the bits that are left. it sparks for only a few seconds then stops.

couldn't add peanut butter, sisters allergic, though she's moved out still be nervous using it anyway.
    yeah, been thinking about trying to make them again, wondering what I should mix in. oooh, vanilla, I'm making vanilla essence with vodka and vanilla pods/beans.

Also have a bar of galaxy cookie chocolate sitting there, might use a bit of that. ever tried making brownies with nothing but galaxy? it's amazing. only ever did it once and for a special occasion, used galaxy for the brownie batter and cadburies for the chunks in the brownie/cookies ot give a bit of contrast. they were amazing. (the brownies I make I swirl cookie dough throughout it. try it. seriously. or look up Eat Me Delicious, cookie topped brownies.)

The last of the swallows are beginning to line up on the telephone lines... looks like they are ready to go! Apparently only 30% survive the journey from here all the way to South Africa. Good luck little fellas!

Thats....kinda depressing. Like the natural history museum and it's all like aww, they kept the family together, after killing them all and then posing them in playful positions to let them know what was taken from them.

also, when the toaster pops, it makes me jump. every. damn. time.

Thats....kinda depressing. Like the natural history museum and it's all like aww, they kept the family together, after killing them all and then posing them in playful positions to let them know what was taken from them.

wha

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I think CD.s story is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Does anyone else find they finish books with frequent breaks in the text quicker? This really comes into play with me when I'm reading in bed. If I finish a chapter and see forty pages worth of uninterrupted text looming, I'm inclined to put the book down and switch off the light. However, if there are shorter chapters, or even just white space breaks in the text during chapters, then I'll often keep going, thinking, "Ok, there is a break in three pages, I'll read up to that." Then I get there and there's another break in another three pages, so I do the same again. This keeps going until I've read just as much as I would have done by reading one long chapter in another book, so it doesn't really make sense to me, but somehow it makes the work much more digestible.

• Advertisement

It definitely helps to have shorter chapters. It works the other way too though - you keep saying 'just one more chapter' and you keep reading until way too late!

i've become a lot more sensible about putting down a book when i really need to sleep, but i do hate reading in fits and starts
    i just... absorb a book, i prefer it that way
    i do read a bit fast though

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ah, the Dan Brown school of novel-writing! :p

I don't see what Dan Brown has to do with it. Most 18th and 19th century novels (that I've read anyhow) have short chapters and other frequent breaks. Consequently, I tend to read them quicker. Though the point applies to non-fiction too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Kinski wrote: »
    I don't see what Dan Brown has to do with it. Most 18th and 19th century novels (that I've read anyhow) have short chapters and other frequent breaks. Consequently, I tend to read them quicker. Though the point applies to non-fiction too.

Dan Brown also uses very short chapters. Most authors who write "page turners" do the same, for the reason you describe above :)

I understand. But there's only one device that would help me read a Dan Brown novel!

A person who can move things with the power of their mind uses "psychokinesis". If my friend Bob has that ability, do I say "Bob is a psychokinetic" or "Bob is psychokinetic" or something else? :/

(the reason I ask is that Bob's being a really dick about this psychokinesis thing and I want to know what word to use when I'm bitching about him to people)

from what i can find, google suggests it's just an adjective and not possible as a noun. I would have thought it could be a noun. Anyway that means "bob is psychokinetic"

• Advertisement

Saying 'Bob is a psychokinetic' seems to have the best ring to it.

'Hi, I'm Bob, I'm a psychokinetician' doesn't sound half as exciting and mysterious!

Advertisement