Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writers' Bloc - Creative Writing Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Happy 26th, youngster:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

bluewolf wrote: »
    i'm old today! yay!

Oh my gosh, what'll ya be tomorrow!?!? :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

a day older :pac:

a day older :pac:

:eek:

Congrats to Fewcifur on his new stars :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

I want stars. How do I get stars?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

you have to be cool like us

Congrats to Fewcifur on his new stars :)

Ah yes, the most relaxed forum possible :)
    you have to be cool like us

You're cooler, you've got red ones and a lil sub-heading :)

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Ah yes, the most relaxed forum possible :)

You're cooler, you've got red ones and a lil sub-heading :)

:cool::cool:

Anyone can buy red stars, it's just bling.

• Advertisement

you're just jealous you don't have red stars and a sub heading you can edit!

you're just jealous you don't have red stars and a sub heading you can edit!

I was promised subscription-like powers... I guess I'm just a poor reflection of such magic.

So I need to pay a subscription or become a mod :/

What forums need a moderator right now? I can become an expert in whatever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

First rule of becoming a Mod - pretend like you don't want it. (At least that's how it worked on the forum I used to mod on on a different site...)

Blush_01 wrote: »
    First rule of becoming a Mod - pretend like you don't want it. (At least that's how it worked on the forum I used to mod on on a different site...)

That's how it worked with me anyhows.

My hero's family have been kidnapped but when he asks the police for help they aren't interested (for various reasons). If he doesn't grab a gun and try to rescue his family on his own, knowing it's a suicide mission, is he a weak hero?

Is there any valid reason why if he's the hero he wouldn't risk his own neck stupidly trying to rescue his family? :/

He has another family? He's about to save humanity with a cancer cure?

his best friend talks some sense into him and tells him the family wouldnt be rescued by him dying?
    the kidnappers sent a note saying if he does anything they'll start doing horrible things?

Antilles wrote: »
    My hero's family have been kidnapped but when he asks the police for help they aren't interested (for various reasons). If he doesn't grab a gun and try to rescue his family on his own, knowing it's a suicide mission, is he a weak hero?

Is there any valid reason why if he's the hero he wouldn't risk his own neck stupidly trying to rescue his family? :/

He's a logical thinker? Comes up with a better plan to save them? Doesn't have access to a gun? Knows people better suited to the task? Does something else positive, such as tracking them down?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

He should give Trent a call. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CD.

Does anyone find the use of music is starting to hinder television watching?

I was watching a TV show last night and some sad music started playing and I knew that a character was going to die, though I didn't know which one. When the character I thought was gonna die was fine rather than thinking oh it's a fake out, I still thought someone was going to die (my second guess was right!)
    but it's getting to the point that the music ques are starting to tip me off.

Though for those who watch true blood in the earlier seasons when sookie/bill were kissing/having sex/anything intimate the same damn music started playing every SINGLE time. it got very annoying very quickly.

It's kinda better in books when there is no real proper tip offs and it's a case of anything can happen (unless one of the characters is narrating events or it's first person, generally those people are fine. Or it's a series and you know that X characters carry on to the next books etc)

I read cloud atlas today, it was awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I read cloud atlas today, it was awesome

What I'd give to be able to read a book like Cloud Atlas in a day...:(

Ah, so it's not the Peep Show guy who wrote that.

sure it's only 530 pages, what's that, 5.5 hours? :pac:
    bit woozy yesterday so i read slow

okay okay ill stop before mad hatter murders me

i wish my other books would arrive :( i ordered them before C.A.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

This may be a silly question, but are you ever ashamed over something you wrote or feel the need to defend your piece to others and yourself?

I like writing thrillers (mainly for young adults). There's violence and abuse in them, but there's also friendship and love. People reaching out for someone who needs it.

I'd like to think my main storyline is that there's always someone who cares for you and things will always get better, in a way you might not have expected.

I self-published a book after some marvellous feedback. However, my mother got concerned about the storyline and ever since I've had a hard time thinking I'm good at what I do - I've even had a hard time actually getting to writing again.

Is this just me being silly? Or does anyone feel the same? :o

I sometimes wonder if that's why a lot of people publish under false names, their families :pac:

i wrote a short story once from 1st-person about bullying
    completely and utterly made up, but i got a lot of concerned questions and strange looks for a while from the family
    i'd say they're just too close to you so they link everything

don't worry about it, focus on the other feedback and keep writing :)

I don't know if I could ever let my mother read my stuff. It's fairly tame, but still, the psychological sword of parental (dis)approval is hard to escape.

i like your book so far! :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Mum.

Advertisement