Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas 2011 Preperations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Seriously nowadays I feel like the shops can't wait for Halloween to be over so they can start selling all the Christmas decs! In a few years they'll be bypassing Halloween altogether! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

I asked a staff member in Aldi the other day when he expected the Christmas stuff in and he said sometime next month. Roll on toasted Stollen for breakfast!!:D

washiskin wrote: »
    I asked a staff member in Aldi the other day when he expected the Christmas stuff in and he said sometime next month. Roll on toasted Stollen for breakfast!!:D

Haha hilarious!

Haha hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

The Stollen's not around long enough in our house for it to be toasted! :eek:

• Advertisement

It's Official!!!!!! :D

Was up in the north again today and Christmas stuff was seen in the shops!!!!!!!

Christmas cards are on sale, 'get them early' said the big banner, and shops taking deposits for Christmas items (one shop has already started its Christmas Club). I was even in marks today and saw some lovely stuffed mushrooms and thought "ooooh, they'd be lovely as a starter for Christmas Day dinner!"

Bring on the madness! ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

leahyl wrote: »
    Seriously nowadays I feel like the shops can't wait for Halloween to be over so they can start selling all the Christmas decs! In a few years they'll be bypassing Halloween altogether! :-D
    I hate feckin' Halloween, having to wait until it's over before I can decorate, grr! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭DakotaYoda

Normally just frequent Zombie Survival and lurk in my favorite holiday forum...

BUT - proper Xmas prep has begun in my world. Pulled out A Christmas Story last week and watched it. Planning a trip to Cleveland next summer to visit the Christmas Story house - hoping "Randy" will be there to give tours again! http://www.achristmasstoryhouse.com/

Need to get my Xmas work bench in the basement in order for light assembly but I have plenty of time for that. I don't put up too many lights anyway - I just like making a production out of it when I do.

Our new lounge/swing Xmas band, called Sleigher, also starts practice this weekend... I'm quite giddy!

Wrapping up w/ my workday listening to The Polar Express soundtrack. Good stuff.

:D:D:D

DakotaYoda wrote: »
    Normally just frequent Zombie Survival and lurk in my favorite holiday forum...

BUT - proper Xmas prep has begun in my world. Pulled out A Christmas Story last week and watched it. Planning a trip to Cleveland next summer to visit the Christmas Story house - hoping "Randy" will be there to give tours again! http://www.achristmasstoryhouse.com/

Need to get my Xmas work bench in the basement in order for light assembly but I have plenty of time for that. I don't put up too many lights anyway - I just like making a production out of it when I do.

Our new lounge/swing Xmas band, called Sleigher, also starts practice this weekend... I'm quite giddy!

Wrapping up w/ my workday listening to The Polar Express soundtrack. Good stuff.

:D:D:D

I think you're my hero! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭DakotaYoda

I think you're my hero! :eek:

Nah - just a massive Christmas nerd. Can't be helped and could be worse things to spend time on I suppose.

And we've some decorations, etc showing up in craft stores around here. Always odd seeing Halloween and Xmas stuff side by side. I do love both holidays but the one in December always wins out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭jimdeans

There's already an xmas tree up in my job. Actually it's more a laziness thing. It just hasn't been taken down since last year :D

FINALLY my partner (a doctor, so she never gets xmas off :( ) will be having quite a bit of time off over the festive season. So we're going to her family home in Tuscany for the first 2 weeks of december, where the village has it's own xmas market and a huge xmas bonfire where they all gather and sing carols (why on earth do communities in Ireland not do this, I can't wait).

Then we're gonna decorate her house over there while listening to xmas FM online.

Then it's back to Ireland mid december to get to work decorating our place back home (though I'll have made a start on it before we leave for Italy).

it's going to be be like 2 xmasses in one :D

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

This day/time 4 months the kids will be leaving their carrots and milk as it'll be christmas eve!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

jimdeans wrote: »
    There's already an xmas tree up in my job. Actually it's more a laziness thing. It just hasn't been taken down since last year :D

FINALLY my partner (a doctor, so she never gets xmas off :( ) will be having quite a bit of time off over the festive season. So we're going to her family home in Tuscany for the first 2 weeks of december, where the village has it's own xmas market and a huge xmas bonfire where they all gather and sing carols (why on earth do communities in Ireland not do this, I can't wait).

Then we're gonna decorate her house over there while listening to xmas FM online.

Then it's back to Ireland mid december to get to work decorating our place back home (though I'll have made a start on it before we leave for Italy).

I'm sooo jealous. That sounds really great. I've been to the Christmas markets in Berlin and it was fab. Am hoping to go again this year - would love to see the markets in Vienna. I hope you have a great time jimdeans.

Cork Lass wrote: »
    I'm sooo jealous. That sounds really great. I've been to the Christmas markets in Berlin and it was fab. Am hoping to go again this year - would love to see the markets in Vienna. I hope you have a great time jimdeans.

Check out Aertel page 541 on RTE 1 - there is an offer of 3 days in Vienna for the Christmas Markets for €345.

Vienna is so beautiful - parts of it feel like it belongs in a Snowglobe - even in September which is when I was there a few years ago. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

Check out Aertel page 541 on RTE 1 - there is an offer of 3 days in Vienna for the Christmas Markets for €345.

Vienna is so beautiful - parts of it feel like it belongs in a Snowglobe - even in September which is when I was there a few years ago. :)

OMG thanks for this washiskin. Seriously thinking of going. There's even packages for €230 and less. Amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭fataltragedy

Our first Christmas decorations to add to the collection for this year arrived yesterday - exciting! :)

Our first Christmas decorations to add to the collection for this year arrived yesterday - exciting! :)
    From where, from where, from where?? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I'm looking forward to Christmas this year, did not celebrate Christmas last year,it was weird not to have a tree etc.
    Hopefully nothing bad happens this year and we can make up for last year.
    I have always loved Christmas with Christmas eve my favourite day.
    Cant wait for the Christmas stuff to appear in the shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Do you have kids? Italian christmases are the brilliant for kids, they'll have a fantastic time being the centre of attention :).

Giselle wrote: »
    Do you have kids? Italian christmases are the brilliant for kids, they'll have a fantastic time being the centre of attention :).

We don't. But hopefully they'll be along within the next 2 years.

The Italian extended family can't wait :D And, while I have some fantastic christmas memories from Ireland, my partner spent a lot of her childhood in Tuscany and it seems like they had fairytale christmasses.

So once we have some little ones in tow I think we'll start trying to spend the odd xmas in Italy.

Less than 4 months now :D

Though for those of you who look forward to xmas as much as me, I only count down til the beginning of december, because I love the build up as much as christmas day itself.

So, as far as i'm concerned, there's only pretty much 3 months until xmas :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

So once we have some little ones in tow I think we'll start trying to spend the odd xmas in Italy.

So, as far as i'm concerned, there's only pretty much 3 months until xmas :D

The build up starts in mid November in parts of Italy and the cooking starts the last week in November!

After this year you'll want to spend EVERY Xmas in Tuscany :D

Good luck to you and your partner.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

i always dreamt of a white christmas, until last year. it completely buggered up my christmas schedule, and made life completely confusing. wasn't happy.

going to hopefully do my christmas pud next week before heading off to college so it is done.

not the foggiest where i am going to stick the christmas tree this year, darn house was re-arranged. that must be figured out.

must get started on christmas present deciding and whatnot, and going to check out those market deals now.

i LOVE christmas

Giselle wrote: »
    The build up starts in mid November in parts of Italy and the cooking starts the last week in November!

After this year you'll want to spend EVERY Xmas in Tuscany :D

Good luck to you and your partner.:)

That's very kind of you. thank you :D

I've promised the missus that we'll spend a few years in Tuscany when the kids are young so they can learn Italian and get to know their relatives over there. At first i thought it would be a NIGHTMARE spending christmas away from Dublin, but the idea of a Tuscan christmas is really growing on me :D

Apparently the bonfire isn't on until xmas eve, so we'll be back in Dublin by then. But she's promised me lots of nice medieval wintery scenery and very old style traditions (plus lots of baking :D ) so I'm still dead excited :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

lots of nice medieval wintery scenery and very old style traditions

sounds amazing! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ThunderApple

I've already bought a couple of things during the summer sale. Well, the people who get them don't have to know this. Anyway, I'm still a student, I cannot afford expensive presents for all my family and friends, although I'd really love to.

It's about time to start knitting scarves and socks for presents. It was just too hot to start earlier, so I've just thought about who's going to get what, that colour and stuff.

I also keep listening to my darlings. It helps a lot with choosing presents. For example, my dad told me he wanted a new dark blue sweater and asked if I wanted to go shopping with him. My sister wanted a new night-light for her new room, so I'm going to make one for her.

I think I'd better start making a list.. And note where I put the things I've already got because I hide them so good that cannot find them when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭whatcartoget

I was in tesco today and they were putting out tins if sweats and Christmas chocolate's.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emmagination

Ladies and Gents - I've heard rumours that Brown Thomas have opened their Christmas Shop! I intend to investigate further while on lunch tomorrow! :)

Ladies and Gents - I've heard rumours that Brown Thomas have opened their Christmas Shop! I intend to investigate further while on lunch tomorrow! :)

Yep, wouldn't surprise me! Think tomorrow will officially be the start to Chrsitmas countdown :D:D:D

This excites me and disturbs me at the same time!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭xxtattyberxx

Countdown on till tescos bring in their tins of mingles of nom nom nom nom nom

Advertisement