Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas 2011 Preperations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I'm so glad I came across this thread! I love Christmas!

I've moved into a rented place and 2011 will be my first Christmas here - I'm now looking around the sitting room trying to decide where I'll put the tree! :D

Solution: Put a couple of trees there.........haha. Only joking on that one but the best place for a tree is where you can get the best view of it. Loads of people put a tree in a corner almost behind where they sit I put it in the corner opposite (diagonally) to me so that I can enjoy looking at it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emmagination

Good plan! There is a corner of the sitting room I have in mind - it's right beside the window looking onto a main road - plenty of opportunities for people to admire it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Good plan! There is a corner of the sitting room I have in mind - it's right beside the window looking onto a main road - plenty of opportunities for people to admire it! :)

A couple of years ago I saw an artificial tree specifically made for a room corner - I think it was in either Homebase or B&Q. When we lived in Ranelagh I used to put the tree right in front of the window facing the Ranelagh Road and stand across the road in front of Russells pointing out the spots on it that needed more lights to my poor OH. I looked like a total tool but it was sooooo worth it :D

So far this year I have found LOADS of Decorations I had bought and lost in this black hole of a house - AND I bought the dotiest M&M's decoration in London a couple of weeks ago.

Next task is to start paying off my Ham & Spiced Beef in the local butchers.
    *rubs hands together*

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

washiskin wrote: »
    A couple of years ago I saw an artificial tree specifically made for a room corner - I think it was in either Homebase or B&Q. When we lived in Ranelagh I used to put the tree right in front of the window facing the Ranelagh Road and stand across the road in front of Russells pointing out the spots on it that needed more lights to my poor OH. I looked like a total tool but it was sooooo worth it :D

So far this year I have found LOADS of Decorations I had bought and lost in this black hole of a house - AND I bought the dotiest M&M's decoration in London a couple of weeks ago.

Next task is to start paying off my Ham & Spiced Beef in the local butchers.
    *rubs hands together*

Great post! that's hilarious about you standing across the road inspecting the tree in the window:D

Ham and Spiced Beef....aaahhh makes me feel all Christmassy!

I could take or leave the ham but I love spiced beef. I always cook it on Christmas eve and the smell of it in the house just transports me right back to my childhood when my mom would do exactly the same. Even if no one ate it I'd still cook it ...... Just for the smell and the memories. I don't cook a turkey as no one likes it. We have a goose instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

Cork Lass wrote: »
    I could take or leave the ham but I love spiced beef. I always cook it on Christmas eve and the smell of it in the house just transports me right back to my childhood when my mom would do exactly the same. Even if no one ate it I'd still cook it ...... Just for the smell and the memories. I don't cook a turkey as no one likes it. We have a goose instead.

I'm afraid all the traditional Christmas cooking is wasted on me, being a vegetarian. I don't even really eat a nut roast! What I try to do is make something yummy or get something from M&S, but I'm not too fussy TBH.
    AND I bought the dotiest M&M's decoration in London
    Oh I would really love to see that washiskin! :D

I'm afraid all the traditional Christmas cooking is wasted on me, being a vegetarian. I don't even really eat a nut roast! What I try to do is make something yummy or get something from M&S, but I'm not too fussy TBH.

You know - that's probably a really good thing to do. Sometimes I feel that there is too much pressure to eat such a big meal. I think that kids especially should be allowed to eat what they want on the day (I don't mean sweets) but they shouldn't be expected to eat mounds of food. I try to do most of the prep the day before so that I'm not under too much pressure on the big day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I've loved having Christmas dinner in my house the last few years. And my husband is only too happy to be faced with a huge turkey and ham for just him. Last year I made a ham parboiled in orange juice then roasted with a honey and marmalade glaze. He loved it. It's the one time of year he appreciates me being all "wifey". :o It's also the one time of the year I can be all homely without feeling like his mother haha. I think I'll treat myself to an apron this year too.

I'm so excited about christmas dinner this year. Have decided on baked camambert for starters I think. But my head is full of summery desserts ATM so I can't decide yet on what dessert will be. For me - a big quorn roast with all of the trimmings and traditional T&H for husband.

I have one of his pressies chosen and I have the pressies for my dogs chosen. I just wish it wasn't sooooo far away.

I think I might make up a reading hamper for my mam, like 5 or 6 books she'll like, a little pretty reading lamp, book mark, some relaxing music etc (any addition ideas welcome!). Might do something similar for my father in law.

A 13 year old sister, a 22 year old sister, a difficult to buy for dad and a very difficult to buy for mother in law are all I have to worry about now. ;)

EDIT: And cat pressies - oh god if I forgot them they'd probably up their campaign to drive me insane :D

I'm dreaming of a White Christmas this year....

:D

Whispered wrote: »
    I'm so excited about christmas dinner this year. Have decided on baked camambert for starters I think. But my head is full of summery desserts ATM so I can't decide yet on what dessert will be. For me - a big quorn roast with all of the trimmings and traditional T&H for husband.

Favourites from the past couple of years have been :

Black Forest Trifle - no jelly so no gelatine.This is a cracker late on Christmas Night standing with a big spoon at the fridge ;)
    Meringue Roulade with Raspberries.
    Baked Alaska - especially a big hit with the men of the house.
    Chocolate Brownie with Christmas Spiced Ice-Cream and Berry Compote.

I cook two Christmas Dinners and I look forward all year to two days of solid cooking. Ahhhh bliss :D

• Advertisement

Fellow Christmas folk, this is a fab Christmas drink:

"Heartwarmer" 12 servings

Adapted from original recipe in "The Hamlyn Complete Christmas Book"

200ml Red Grape Juice (readily available Aldi, Lidl, Tesco)
    225g Brown Sugar
    350ml Dark Rum
    1.5 Litres Dry White Wine
    450ml Red Wine
    One Orange cut in 2 and studded with cloves
    one cinnamon stick

Disolve the brown sugar in the grape juice over a medium heat - remove from the heat and stir in the rum and leave aside with the orange and spices added.
    Heat the wines until hot but not boiling and then add the rum mixture.
    Serve warm with a small twist of orange rind in the bottom of the serving cup or glass.
    Be warned folks, it packs a punch! :)

washiskin wrote: »
    Fellow Christmas folk, this is a fab Christmas drink:

"Heartwarmer" 12 servings

Adapted from original recipe in "The Hamlyn Complete Christmas Book"

200ml Red Grape Juice (readily available Aldi, Lidl, Tesco)
    225g Brown Sugar
    350ml Dark Rum
    1.5 Litres Dry White Wine
    450ml Red Wine
    One Orange cut in 2 and studded with cloves
    one cinnamon stick

Disolve the brown sugar in the grape juice over a medium heat - remove from the heat and stir in the rum and leave aside withe the orage and spices added.
    Heat the wines until hot but not boiling and then add the rum mixture.
    Serve warm with a small twist of orange rind in the bottom of the serving cup or glass.
    Be warned folks, it packs a punch! :)
    That sounds great!! I'm gonna try that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

Oh I would really love to see that washiskin! :D

Ooooh, I'm the same here!!! I usully go for the tartlets, leek and cheese, goats cheese and onion or the other one that I can't remember name of!! :confused: M and S have some nice veg side dishes as well. I got caught out the year before last with the bad weather, no m and s nearby and I nearly cried that I didn't have my m and s tartlet, think I had to make do with Quorn, just wasn't the same :( This year, to be on safe side, I'm buying it early and freezing it incase we have minus 907 degree weather again! :eek: :eek:

BUT I still have all the trimmings, stuffing and veg gravy, make it all separate.

Christmas dinner is the BEST! ;)

My daughter has been vegetarian fo almost a year now so I'll be cooking two dinners again this year. I don't mind though and quite enjoy vegetarian food myself. Does anyone have any ideas for a tasty, not nut roast, meal?

Thanks for that punch recipe Washiskin, I'll definitely make that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I do the quorn roast, with my own bit of stuffing and all the trimmings. I don't know what turkey tastes like so for me it's as good as my husbands dinner, even if he doesn't agree.:o

Oh I also chop up some veggie bacon style bits into the sprouts. mmmmmm

My daughter has been vegetarian fo almost a year now so I'll be cooking two dinners again this year. I don't mind though and quite enjoy vegetarian food myself. Does anyone have any ideas for a tasty, not nut roast, meal?

Thanks for that punch recipe Washiskin, I'll definitely make that.

Corklass I can highly recommend "Delia Smith's Christmas" as a one stop shop for traditional fare (I switched to her Pudding recipe after years of my mother-in-laws) and she has a great Vegetarian section. Here are some of the dishes:

Terrine of four cheeses w/ Spiced aprcot & Orange Chutney & Warm Walnut & Raisin Bread (I made the chutney - it rocked!)

Roasted Red Peppers stuffed with Fennell w/ Quick Cheese Sage & Onion Bread.

Cheese & Parsnip Roulade w/ Sage & Onion Stuffing served with Bread Sauce and/or Cranberry & Orange Relish

Caramelised Cheese & Onion Tartlets (with the above Cranberry & Orange Relish) w/ Broccoli Salad with Sesame Dressing

Broccoli & Cream Cheese Soup

Wild Mushroom & Walnut Soup

I'm not a vegetarian but I have to admit the dishes sound gorgeous.

There is also a recipe for Vegetarian Sausage Rolls (again - made these - big hit) and some of the stuff can be frozen up to four weeks in advance.

Hope this helps :)

Whispered wrote: »
    I do the quorn roast, with my own bit of stuffing and all the trimmings. I don't know what turkey tastes like so for me it's as good as my husbands dinner, even if he doesn't agree.:o

Oh I also chop up some veggie bacon style bits into the sprouts. mmmmmm

The Quorn roast is nice, usually the next day it gets used up for sandwiches with apple sauce which are devine, mmmmmmmmm ;)

Thanks for the tips. I have the delia smith original cookbook so I'll have to look through that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Camz2010

Thanks for the tips. I have the delia smith original cookbook so I'll have to look through that.
    Mr. Ramsey did a Christmas meal once, I remember watching it and thinking how gorgeous. Must search for it.

I am liking some of the recipe ideas here!!

A few years ago I was living with my best friend, in Mayo. I was going home to Dublin for Christmas so we decided to have a "mini" Christmas that we could celebrate together! We got up and exchanged presents and cooked a yummy dinner! It was one of the nicest days of my life. I'm highly tempted to do something similar this year! I may have to keep an eye out for more recipes on this thread!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 sadman18

You can get shopping over here from next week!
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3720003/Christmas-sales-start-in-August.html
    Christmas sales start in August

Christmas_01_1351426a.jpgEarly ... shop assistants at Selfridges Christmas shops

By STAFF REPORTER
    Published: Today

chicklet-comments.gif Add a comment (8)

LUXURY department stores Harrods and Selfridges are set to open Christmas stores - 150 days early.

The barmy bargains are set to go on sale next Thursday allowing millions of visitors in the capital to buy tinsel and tree decorations.
    The stores say they are starting their Christmas plans early because of huge demand from tourists.

Christmas_02_1351425a.jpgChristmas treat ... shop assistant decorates tree

Selfridges said that visits to its central London store by overseas shoppers were up by 40 per cent from last year, with Chinese and Middle Eastern tourists accounting for most of the increase.
    Harrods said that many foreign visitors - including those from Russia, China and India - bought decorations as mementos of Britain even if Christmas was not widely celebrated in their home countries.
    Visitor numbers were up because of the relative weakness of the UK currency, it added.
    Among the items expected to sell well at Selfridges this year are decidedly unseasonal fake fur animal hats, including stag and polar bear styles for £100.
    Harrods, meanwhile, will lay out a gingerbread theme for its display

Sadman18 you beat me to it: :)

http://photos.independent.ie/gallery/Christmas_comes_early

I'm so relieved this year - last years World of Chritmas was such a dissapointment, even the staff were a bit embarrased by how it looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

OMG thanks for that guys! I would kill to get over there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Is it too early to make Christmas pudding, I seem to remember reading that the earlier cooked the better?
    This will be my first Xmas married so cannot wait to go completely over the top with trees, pressies and tinsel!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Chocolate and Hazelnut Cheesecake.

Prep Time:1 Hr,Cook Time:1 Hr, Ready In 3 Hrs

Ingredients

55 g semisweet chocolate chips
    270 g vanilla wafer crumbs
    100 g hazelnuts - toasted, skinned and coarsely chopped
    25 g white sugar
    45 g butter, melted

672 g cream cheese, softened
    200 g white sugar
    3 eggs, lightly beaten
    45 ml hazelnut liqueur
    170 g semisweet chocolate chips

110 g semisweet chocolate chips
    13 skinned, toasted hazelnuts
    60 g sour cream
    15 ml hazelnut liqueur

Directions

Using a blender or a food processor, finely chop 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips. Place in a small mixing bowl. Add vanilla wafer crumbs, ground hazelnuts, 2 tablespoons white sugar, and melted butter or margarine. Mix until well combined. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9 inch springform pan. Bake in a preheated 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) oven for 15 minutes. Cool.
    In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until fluffy. Gradually add 1 cup white sugar; mix well. Add the eggs and 3 tablespoons liqueur. Mix until well blended. Coarsely chop 1 cup of the semisweet chocolate chips, and add to the cream cheese mixture. Stir. Pour batter into the cooled crust.
    Bake at in a preheated 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven for 1 hour. Let cake cool for 1 hour. Remove outer ring from pan. Then let cool completely.
    Melt 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips over hot (not boiling) water. Stir until smooth. Dip 13 hazelnuts into the chocolate, covering one-half of each nut. Shake off the excess chocolate. Place on a waxed-paper lined plate. Chill until set.
    To the remaining melted chocolate, add sour cream. Mix well. Stir in 1 tablespoon liqueur. Spread glaze on top of the cooled cheesecake. Garnish with chocolate dipped hazelnuts.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

leahyl wrote: »
    I'm dreaming of a White Christmas this year....

:D

Nooooo!! I'm dreaming of a green christmas this year, stupid snow made the festive season very difficult last year, I'm just really really glad I'd all the presents bought early cos I did my cruciate ligament in the snow at the start of December and was on crutches til late January!!

Last year was my first married Christmas, and poor hubby was certainly sticking to the 'in sickness and health' part of the vows lol! All going well, we should have a little baba this year so I'm so excited about being 'santa'. Luckily he'll be too young to notice if me and Daddy make a balls of it lol! I just don't think I could cope pushing a buggy through knee deep snow. Maybe I'll ask Santa to bring snow chains and a plow!

Here's a recipe for the most awesome mulled wine EVER!! (I think it might be a Jamie Oliver but not sure)

Ingredients
    2 clementines
    Peel of 1 Lemon
    Peel of 1 Lime
    250g caster sugar
    6 whole cloves
    1 cinnamon stick
    3 fresh bay leaves (I used dried and it was just as good)
    1 whole nutmeg (if you can't get a whole one, just use about half tsp ground)
    1 whole vanilla pod, halved (Tesco finest do vanilla pods but if you can't get your hands on one use about 1tbsp, or to your taste, of vanilla EXTRACT)
    2 star anise (nearly impossible to get but I've made it without them and I didn't notice the difference)
    2 bottles of Chianti (any cheapo red wine is good)

Method
    Peel the lemon, lime and clementines. Make sure to keep the peel in large chunks.

Put the sugar and peels in a large pot over a medium heat and squeeze in the juice from your clementines.

Add your cloves, cinnamon stick, nutmeg (10-12 gratings if you're using a whole one), bay leaves and vanilla pod/extract. Then pour in just enough red wine to cover the sugar.

Let it simmer until the sugar is totally dissolved and then let it boil on a rolling boil for about 4-5 mins until you get a kinda syrupy consistency.

Turn the heat down to low, add the star anise and the rest of the wine.

Heat through on low for about 5 mins and then serve.

I love this recipe because since the bulk of the red wine only goes in right at the end the alcohol doesn't get burned off ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Supercell wrote: »
    Is it too early to make Christmas pudding, I seem to remember reading that the earlier cooked the better?
    This will be my first Xmas married so cannot wait to go completely over the top with trees, pressies and tinsel!

well, i used start mine in September, so its not too early at all.

I most start buying the ingrediants myself, usually buy a few bits each week as i make 6

My uncle called me yesterday to say that he had found the Pudding Cans that my Granny used to use years ago when he was cleaning out the spare room in her house. Unfortunately they are pretty rusted inside but I'm thrilled just to have them for the lovely memories. :)

Was out shopping in the north today, and was expecting to see a few signs that Chrimbo is on its way...some of the shelves in the bigger stores look as if they're being cleared to make may for nice bits and pieces :D

Is it too early to start to sing (in a very low voice, a whisper really) "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas ..." :D

• Advertisement

I think they could legitimately sing that in New Zealand at the moment :)

I'm just waiting until after all the Back to School stuff has left the shops, I expect to see hints of Christmas soon after that! (Very early I know, but I can't help loving it!)

Advertisement