Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas 2011 Preperations

Options
  • 21-06-2011 4:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

So we're nearly half way there and I'm sure some of you christmas nuts already have your preperations underway :pac: Last year was our first year married and it was ruined by me being on call with work (and being called in) so this year I'm determined to firstly not be working and secondly to make it a special one for my husband, our dog and myself. Which means I'm hoping to start preparing soon so no stress in December at all. So any tips on what can be done this early, and how to make a Christmas really memorable?

I really need to sort our Christmas music collection, and I can draw up our pressie list, start saving for pressies too perhaps? Is it too early to start practising recipes?

What have you all got done so far and do you have a time line you use every year that works well for you? Or like me do you usually spend the week before Christmas running around like a headless turkey trying to get everything done.

This forum has inspired me to begin getting ready for Christmas earlier this year, I'm just not sure exactly how :)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

If last year is anything to go by, I better start robbing Salt packets now.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Whispered wrote: »
    What have you all got done so far and do you have a time line you use every year that works well for you? Or like me do you usually spend the week before Christmas running around like a headless turkey trying to get everything done.
    I try to have an idea of who I'll be buying for as early as possible and you can pick up some great bargains in the end of summer sales (like the Argos end-of-catalogue sale in late July).

I personally make a Christmas pudding in late August/early September and try to have all presents bought and wrapped by the end of September so I can spend October looking for decorations.

It's never too early to make a Christmas cake or Christmas pudding, it's recommended they be made 6-9 months in advance, you just 'feed' them some brandy/whiskey every few weeks. People usually marzipan the Christmas cake at the end of November, then ice it a week or two later to let the icing 'dry out.'

Saving money every week for decorations, presents etc is also a great idea, Christmas is so much more fun when you're not broke!!! :D

When it comes to planning Christmas, 'to do' lists are very helpful! ;)

Only 186 days to Christmas day, better get cracking! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

You guys are NUTS!:D I feel almost inadequate here! I don't really have many people to buy for - just my brother and mum and dad but I'd love to have loads of wrapping to do!

As much as i ADORE Christmas, I'd feel weird though doing all the preparations in July!! But I love watching christmas music videos on Youtube at the same time:D:o!

I usually get in Christmas mode once September comes, and then proper Christmas mode once Halloween is over (which i don't like!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Lists are a godsend!

I make lists of who I've to buy for and whether it's birthday and/or Christmas presents (I've a lot of birthdays Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan). Sometimes I buy things when they're on sale or I spot something I know would be perfect for someone, then I put it in the press and forget I've bought it and end up buying another thing for the same person! lol.
    So lists are helpful, for people/ideas/what you've actually bought etc.

Also anything that might need to be sourced online and shipped from overseas needs to get done early in case there's a problem with it or it takes a while to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

Now, my Christmas prep is a bit random. Usually sometime in August I start day-dreaming about Christmas and dig out Christmas magazines gone by (ideas for gifts, recipes etc.) and start thinking about what I can buy. Then, if you're lucky and can find them, some of the shops start stocking a few Christmas bits in September and then the fun begins.! :pac:

I basically keep buying bits and bobs here and there until Christmas really kicks in November and then I go completely bonkers! That's when I start getting presents for people, go overboard, get way too much food, and end up with loads of stuff left over so that we end up eating Christmas pud well into March.

But it doesn't end there, oh no. THEN you have the January sales where the Christmas stuff is HALF PRICE! Well, you can imagine the fun. More stuff in prep for the following Christmas. This is where I vow to buy only one of what is needed for next Christmas, but as soon as August comes back around again I forget all the madness and start day-dreaming again. :D

• Advertisement

flutegirl wrote: »
    Now, my Christmas prep is a bit random. Usually sometime in August I start day-dreaming about Christmas and dig out Christmas magazines gone by (ideas for gifts, recipes etc.) and start thinking about what I can buy. Then, if you're lucky and can find them, some of the shops start stocking a few Christmas bits in September and then the fun begins.! :pac:

I basically keep buying bits and bobs here and there until Christmas really kicks in November and then I go completely bonkers! That's when I start getting presents for people, go overboard, get way too much food, and end up with loads of stuff left over so that we end up eating Christmas pud well into March.

But it doesn't end there, oh no. THEN you have the January sales where the Christmas stuff is HALF PRICE! Well, you can imagine the fun. More stuff in prep for the following Christmas. This is where I vow to buy only one of what is needed for next Christmas, but as soon as August comes back around again I forget all the madness and start day-dreaming again. :D

Haha! That's hilarious! You are a Christmas nutcracker!! Yeah it's usually around September that I start getting excited about Christmas too but as i said before, once Halloween is over it's full steam ahead for me! Also I'm going to London for a weekend at the end of Novemeber - has anyone been around this time and do you know whether the Christmas decorations/lights will be up at that stage? Will be SOOOOO Christmassy if they are!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Posy wrote: »
    I try to have an idea of who I'll be buying for as early as possible and you can pick up some great bargains in the end of summer sales (like the Argos end-of-catalogue sale in late July).

I personally make a Christmas pudding in late August/early September and try to have all presents bought and wrapped by the end of September so I can spend October looking for decorations.

I'd be sooooo bad at that though, I'd get excited and give it early. I'm useless. Although I do like the idea of having it all done by october. Maybe not wrapped as I believe wrapping must be done by christmas tree light, but bought and hidden in the attic. (Or I could just put my tree up REALLY early)
    leahyl wrote: »
    You guys are NUTS!:D I feel almost inadequate here! I don't really have many people to buy for - just my brother and mum and dad but I'd love to have loads of wrapping to do!

As much as i ADORE Christmas, I'd feel weird though doing all the preparations in July!! But I love watching christmas music videos on Youtube at the same time:D:o!

Not nuts at all, I just didn't get my proper christmas last year so I have 2 years of cheer saved up. Why not come and help me wrap (by christmas tree light)
    and then proper Christmas mode once Halloween is over (which i don't like!)
    Invitation revoked! Halloween is fantastic! I get as excited about it as I do Christmas. It's like the beginning of log fires, frosty starry nights and long days in bed because you don't have to "get up and make the most of the sun". All the good things about winter start on Halloween.
    star-pants wrote: »
    Also anything that might need to be sourced online and shipped from overseas needs to get done early in case there's a problem with it or it takes a while to arrive.
    Actually - I think I will try to do most of my shopping online this year. Do you have any site recommendations or would I be best sticking with amazon/ebay and the likes? Do you think buying online is a money saver as well as a time saver?

:D:D You prepare all year!! You must have a very christmassy house.
    Also I'm going to London for a weekend at the end of Novemeber - has anyone been around this time and do you know whether the Christmas decorations/lights will be up at that stage? Will be SOOOOO Christmassy if they are!:D
    It would be great if they were! Hopefully.

How far in advance do you all start menu planning. Practising recipies etc.

Never too early!! :)

Whispered -- with online, yeah sometimes it can be cheaper/easier, depends on what you're looking for.
    Like for example with my mother, she can be tough to buy for, but I sourced a Steiff Paddington Bear from an older collection online and got it at a pretty damn good price (for Steiff) from someone selling on eBay, lovely lady had it well wrapped and everything. Things like that where you just wouldn't really be able to find it local enough, or if you did it might be far too much, it's handy to check out Amazon/eBay.
    Again last year, dad can't really read too well so we got him books on tape (cassette cuz that's what his car has) and he loves it, so I source them on eBay. He'd all the Harry Potters but the last one and I just couldn't get it on tape but then Amazon had it, it was expensive but I couldn't get it anywhere else and it was worth it for him.
    For my dogs (you know them!) I wanted specific dog toys that I couldn't seem to locate in dog shops here, found them on eBay too, they were happy to rip them open on Christmas morning! :)

Another example -- father's day this year, no clue what to get dad, he mentioned about wanting another hat (for if he's working outside he won't get burnt etc) and I'd brought him back an expensive hat from Australia a few years ago and he loves it but didn't want to use it too much if he was working. I trawled around town, nowhere had the type of hat he wanted, in his size (small head). Looked online, found one almost identical to the one I brought back from Australia, and it was cheaper than I'd paid over there. Ordered that from the States on Thurs and it was here on the Tues.

Sorry that's all very long-winded!! But just I think for some things that you just can't source (or least, not easily) online can be handy, and sometimes you'll find lots of small things you can put together as a present.
    Things online aren't always better value, but there's no harm checking out prices etc. I have so many birthdays from Oct-Jan that I have to start early to spread out the cost as well as anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

My advise to you would be to go back over the forum. Not only will you find advise, & help but also inspiration, goodwill, hope and even the cheerful friendly vibe that oozes out of the pages...well most of the time :D As for sorting out your music it's all there waiting on forum for you to tap into..;) You will get the best of menu available for you to choose, from starter all the way to desert...Ideas on how to decorate, what & who to buy pressies for, & well so very much more.:) If after all that you still find some questions unanswered then shame on us Christmas Fanatics:o Oh and well done on both of you surviving last Christmas.....:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 fuff

Leahyl, decorations will definitely be up in London at that time! London is fabulous at Christmas time - make sure to go to the Christmas market and fair in Hyde Park!

• Advertisement

fuff wrote: »
    Leahyl, decorations will definitely be up in London at that time! London is fabulous at Christmas time - make sure to go to the Christmas market and fair in Hyde Park!

OMG thanks so much fuff! Will definitely pay a visit to Hyde Park! Oh and btw flights are only 73e return with ryanair at the mo - just booked our flights tonight! Just in case any of you decide to pay London a visit around Christmas! :-)

star-pants wrote: »
    Another example -- father's day this year, no clue what to get dad, he mentioned about wanting another hat (for if he's working outside he won't get burnt etc) and I'd brought him back an expensive hat from Australia a few years ago .

I think you should've got your dad THIS. I was sent one a while back from an aussie mate and it's excellent!! :D

:D:D You prepare all year!! You must have a very christmassy house.

Don't even get me started on all the Cristmassy candles I buy as well. I burn them all year around, the smell brings you right back...:)

I think you should've got your dad THIS. I was sent one a while back from an aussie mate and it's excellent!! :D
    Ha! Yeah I've seen those they're funky looking. He's a cowboy style hat person though, he likes his hat :) but thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Im seriously thinking of buying a plough for the Isuzu and snow chains. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

Halloween is fantastic! I get as excited about it as I do Christmas. It's like the beginning of log fires, frosty starry nights

Agree. Hallowe'en always takes me back to schooltime where we learned about it. I love all the Celtic mythology. All the traditions we used to do like bobbing for grapes (apples too easy!!) and trying to bite an apple on a string with hands tied behind your back.
    Although now we have adult Hallowe'en parties, I miss the innocent children's ones.

Anyway for me it's also the start of Winter (my favourite season), where I love dressing up warm and having hot fires. Walking on frosty mornings and going home to hot chocolate. :D
    As long as I get out at some part of the day, then I can handle the long nights.
    Oh and the promise of snow!

Anyway to get back on topic. I am not organised like you crazy people!!! I love dreaming about Christmas now but doing all the Christmassy things at Christmas. And yes wrapping by Christmas-tree light is a must!!

Whispered I used to have a CD I made for myself years ago with my fave Christmas songs but can't find it. So last year tried to get together some music. I need to add to it, so thanks for reminding me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I'm glad this thread is up and running. I normally wait until august before I gear up to Christmas but look forward to it all year. I've got a few pressies already and am always on the lookout. This year I am going to America in October so will most likely do most of my shopping there but will be picking things up here in the meanwhile. I always give my spouse and kids a treat box which would normally contain anything from toiletries to books. These would be things that I would pick up in sales etc and they always love opening them. I love watching them walk into the sitting room on Christmas morning and seeing the tree surrounded with pressure and tbh this can be done quite reasonably with a bit of planning. My Christmas is really about giving and I am happy that I can do it. I used to put up about 5 trees but now that we have no believers this has been reduced to 2. Still put the lights up outside though and love coming home on dark nights and seeing them. It's a lovely feeling. I also organise a collection in my workplace so that needy families can be given food hampers cos we must not forget that others may not look forward to Christmas as they can't afford to. We will start gathering stuff from September.

Lads can I just say it is a very wintery, christmassy night tonight - rain lashing against the window, wind howling! Now all I need is a Christmas tree, a roaring fire and a festive movie on the tv :-D!!

of course - and don't forget the eggnog and mulled wine - perfect:)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

What about the mince pies and cream!!!!!!:D

• Advertisement

littlemis wrote: »
    What about the mince pies and cream!!!!!!:D

Oh yum I wish it was the build up to Christmas now! Like Christmas week or something! Mince pies are so yummy!:D

Oh yum I wish it was the build up to Christmas now! Like Christmas week or something! Mince pies are so yummy!:D

Or some plum pudding and custard! I can almost taste it.

Cork Lass wrote: »
    of course - and don't forget the eggnog and mulled wine - perfect:)

Just to let you know that Dunnes, my local one anyway, are still stocking the Berries and Spices (by airwick or glade , one or the other!) Christmas fragrance candle. One smell of this and it's defo Christmas!! ;) I always have one of these on the go as soon as I spot them in the shops.

Will have to shop their tomorrow just for a (not too) quick sniff.

seeing the tree surrounded with pressure
    Hee hee! :D
    I used to put up about 5 trees
    I like your style! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emmagination

I'm so glad I came across this thread! I love Christmas!

I've moved into a rented place and 2011 will be my first Christmas here - I'm now looking around the sitting room trying to decide where I'll put the tree! :D

I'm so glad I came across this thread! I love Christmas!

I've moved into a rented place and 2011 will be my first Christmas here - I'm now looking around the sitting room trying to decide where I'll put the tree! :D

LOL!:D

It's time for a Christmas song...."so this is Christmas, and what have you done....":pac:

...another year over, a new one just begun....:)

I love this song - from one of my favourite Christmas films "Home Alone 2 - Lost in New York":D

• Advertisement

I love this song - from one of my favourite Christmas films "Home Alone 2 - Lost in New York":D

leahyl, I love this song too! I took my little brother to see that film years ago and this song stuck with me. I have it on my Christmas song list.

One song I love is this one from Scrooged: Annie Lennox & Al Green.

Advertisement