Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

mcriot29 wrote: »
    Game on looks like we could have a big freeze start of jan
    Joe b has said this
    Stratwarm event starting in Siberia in about 10 days similar to set up for 1984-1985 winter, but is a 2-3 week precursor to major Us cold

I agree with joe as i said a few weeks back, 1984 type event could be on the cards
    Heres what 84 85 winter was
    1984-85: Very cold and snowy, especially in Southern England. My parents also go on about this one, as they lived in Hampshire at the time, and my brother was born. It was a very cold winter. Early January, there was snow in Eastern England. Mid January, East Anglia and Kent getting the goods, with 6 inches falling here. Mid January, South West England and South Wales (yippee!). Late January seeing snow in Scotland, and the prone spots, such as Aviemore, getting 2ft of level snow, Northern Britain as a whole affected though. Mid February, Southern England, 6-12 inches, substantial drifting taking place. 29th March gave Scotland snow. A memorable year. Snowy.

where abouts you live mcriot?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

Hey im from dublin,that piece on 84 winter was from history of winters netweather look for 1984 winter dublin on you tube, shows snow in dublin in that winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

I covered Joe B point in the Strat thread and gave link on Jan -Feb 85

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056438481

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

All little negative dip on the 7 day for the AO , 10 and 14 have it pop up again after .

184941.png

184942.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

mcriot29 wrote: »
    Looks like we may see some snow this week,anyone think this big storm thru could give us snow , looking like vogans forecast may work out correct for him .

For northern parts again I take it ye?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

I think the following quote from MT's forecast this morning (12th December) is well worth mentioning to those looking for a cold winter. It appears to have been overlooked somewhat on the boards..........

MT Cranium Quote
    SATURDAY and BEYOND ... There will be further cold and windy weather for the weekend with the risk of snow or sleet, then a milder trend next week, that could turn into a much milder pattern for a few days just around Christmas. I'm expecting that to end rather abruptly just after Christmas Day and sticking to the idea of a much colder January.

After MT's excellent long range forecast for Nov/Dec 2010, I am putting my faith in him!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

derekon wrote: »
    I think the following quote from MT's forecast this morning (12th December) is well worth mentioning to those looking for a cold winter. It appears to have been overlooked somewhat on the boards..........

MT Cranium Quote
    SATURDAY and BEYOND ... There will be further cold and windy weather for the weekend with the risk of snow or sleet, then a milder trend next week, that could turn into a much milder pattern for a few days just around Christmas. I'm expecting that to end rather abruptly just after Christmas Day and sticking to the idea of a much colder January.

After MT's excellent long range forecast for Nov/Dec 2010, I am putting my faith in him!! :D

That forecast was eerily accurate at times and i've said from the beginning that i'm sticking with his prediction for a cold january. If he gets it right this year then i may start planning my whole year around his forecasts!

I hate a mild xmas lets hope we get a big freeze to make up for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

l4iSP.png

Lets hope we get snow like this in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Conor30

Lucreto wrote:

Lets hope we get snow like this in January.

Great pic!! I wonder where it was taken!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Conor30 wrote: »
    Great pic!! I wonder where it was taken!!

I believe it was in Russia. The wind blew the snow against the door of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

To all the weather experts out there, can somebody please tell where is our snow???

I am in the Clare/Limerick area and we have had rain and wind and cold and hailstones and misery and I have been so looking forward to getting some snow this year as I love a white christmas. I can see up north they got some lovely white snow yet I'm still waiting for some down our side of the country.

Are we going to get any and does anybody have an idea of when?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

ask santa for some

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

LadyTBolt wrote: »
    To all the weather experts out there, can somebody please tell where is our snow???

I am in the Clare/Limerick area and we have had rain and wind and cold and hailstones and misery and I have been so looking forward to getting some snow this year as I love a white christmas. I can see up north they got some lovely white snow yet I'm still waiting for some down our side of the country.

Are we going to get any and does anybody have an idea of when?

Well there will be some tonight and tomorrow but is likely to be slushy wet snow the higher up you are the better as usual;)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

derekon wrote: »

MT Cranium Quote

I hope he is rite too I really do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Coldfront

very light snow in stillorgan.....

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Caff Caff

There was snow on my car window this morning in Portmarnock. RTE weather and the Met Eireann forecast on the radio this morning are in total conflict with one another... no surprises there though, to be fair!:confused::cool::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Caff Caff wrote: »
    RTE weather and the Met Eireann forecast on the radio this morning are in total conflict with one another:confused::cool::D

They are both Met Eireann. Met Eireann have got today's weather spot on so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

This morning I am optimistic for the first time this winter - look at the Russian high linking up with the Azores high on this ECM chart.
    A long way off but as I said something to be optimistic about.

Recm2161.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

SNOW RETURNS TOO DUBLIN....

" Hi my name is Ian.. it has been.... 1 hour since my last snow... im coping ...." :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kwik

Iancar29 wrote: »
    SNOW RETURNS TOO DUBLIN....

" Hi my name is Ian.. it has been.... 1 hour since my last snow... im coping ...." :D

It alright ian its back again and im not to far from you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

You seem to have heavier snow on the northside... not fair! *cries*

Great snow fell here today did not stick blaaaa ,1c now

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭garyha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

was snowing lightly for about 1/2 hour this morning in dublin around 9am. it was a bit sleety because it was 2.5 degrees so it didnt stick. after that half hour its been sleet/snowing ever so slightly . still not sticking, amybe if it got really heavy and it was nightime we get some sticking snow:D

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ghilliemaster

Like a blizzard here in cork,snow,hail the lot! hurts to go outside hehe :D:D not sticking tho:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Like a blizzard here in cork,snow,hail the lot! hurts to go outside hehe :D:D not sticking tho:mad:

where in cork..city/county?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Snowing in Cork?:eek: That's gotta be a first!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

The Cork snow shield has been compromised!!! :eek:
    ShieldStatus.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Snowing on and off all day in Carlow! not sticking though still lovely :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement