Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

garyha wrote: »

Watch what is happening through this Video. This may be the start of several link ups, to try set up cold feeds for us into january.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mrweatherman

well the BIGGEST question is what will next week bring us?!! love snow and the extreme cold but want to get home to dublin for christmas this year

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mrweatherman

so basicly its going to lash rain for christmas and be a real typical irish christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

so basicly its going to lash rain for christmas and be a real typical irish christmas

Yep, Think there,ll be an adrupt change in the new year to very cold weather though.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dkelly23

hope it snows in the south woop

Tomorrow
    Cold tomorrow with bright spells and scattered wintry showers through Connaught and Ulster, but some more prolonged rain in parts of Munster and Leinster during the day with some of sleet or snow for a time in the morning. Top afternoon temperatures of 3 to 7 degrees highest in the southwest.
    3 Day Outlook
    Wednesday night will be bitterly cold with temperatures between zero and minus 3 degrees leading to some frost and icy patches. There will be clear spells and some wintry showers, mainly in the North and West. There's also the risk of some sleety rain or snow and strong winds in the far Southwest and South for a time early in the night. Thursday will start off largely dry, bright and cold. Outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow are expected to move up from the South during the day, though Ulster may stay mainly dry. There is also the risk of very windy or stormy conditions developing especially in Southern and Midland areas, though there is a chance that the storm may pass to the South and miss us. Friday looks to be very cold and blustery with strong and gusty west to northwest winds. There will be sunshine and occasional wintry showers with falls of sleet and snow, most frequent in the North and West. The cold and blustery North to Northwesterly airflow looks like persisting for Saturday with further wintry showers and frost and icy patches at night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Bejing Climate Centre
    Jan-Mar 2012:D
    AgkXu9gCQAI1GG8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Nice. Takes my mind away from the fact that i was one number away from €1500 on the euromillions on TWO lines :(

Are the beijing climate centre well known? As in are their predictions accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

baraca wrote: »
    Nice. Takes my mind away from the fact that i was one number away from €1500 on the euromillions on TWO lines :(

would it make you feel better if i told you that the numbers are only symbols and its the equivalent of being an orange away from an apple, in terms of being closer to winning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

baraca wrote: »

I won €3000 last year on the Euromillions. All I needed was a 4 in the bonus numbers and I would have one €550,000 I got a 3.

geetar wrote: »
    would it make you feel better if i told you that the numbers are only symbols and its the equivalent of being an orange away from an apple, in terms of being closer to winning?

Not really, No. I was still one "symbol" away be it a number or a cucumber. :(

Were going a bit off topic here now anyway but thanks for trying to help! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Dilla!

So I've read through a few threads and I'm probably going to ask something people are sick of answering.

A proper cold spell is more likely after Christmas than before, right? I don't have a reason to expect heavy snow like last year before January, do I?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Caff Caff

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    They are both Met Eireann. Met Eireann have got today's weather spot on so far.

yes I know... precisely my point... both forecasts were different!! The one on the radio was spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Dilla! wrote: »
    So I've read through a few threads and I'm probably going to ask something people are sick of answering.

A proper cold spell is more likely after Christmas than before, right? I don't have a reason to expect heavy snow like last year before January, do I?

any sustained cold and snow before even new years is looking very unlikely, but the rest of jan and maybe even feb may well be extremely cold and snowy...hopefully anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Dilla!

bb1234567 wrote: »
    any sustained cold and snow before even new years is looking very unlikely, but the rest of jan and maybe even feb may well be extremely cold and snowy...hopefully anyway :D

Cheers!

I'm hoping for snow too, that's why I'm asking! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Given that the weather can't be predicted much more than 5 days ahead, how does anyone know what Jan and Feb will bring? I'm sorry, but it's utter speculation.

Double post.

screamer wrote: »
    Given that the weather can't be predicted much more than 5 days ahead, how does anyone know what Jan and Feb will bring? I'm sorry, but it's utter speculation.

Trends, Patterns, historical data.. Have a read of red sunsets stratosphere warming thread and some other threads here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Kokopeli

I Know very little (very!) about weather but was just looking at SAT24 and there seems to be quite a deep low pressure zone approaching the west coast from NW. The models don't show any indication of this so I'm probably mistaken. Just though I'd mention it. Great discussions by the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Latest from Simon Keeling of weatheronline.co.uk

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Rite can any of the more knowledgeable posters tell me what the differece is with the 7,10 and 14 day forecast here ?

Seven days is going negative but 10 and 14 covering the same time frame has it going now where :confused:

185203.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Latest from Simon Keeling of weatheronline.co.uk
    Interesting vid. What do you make of his predictions wolfeIRE ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

Hopecasting with a capital H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Interesting vid. What do you make of his predictions wolfeIRE ?
    He has been calling the same type scenario for the past week. I agree with the other models being out of syncs with the current setup but there is widespread conscensus with the execption of the GEM regarding a prolonged milder period from Monday through Christmas. I like how he explains things but I reckon what he is suggesting might be a week or two ahead of itself and will most likely occur in late Dec or early Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

He does explain things very well alrite thanx

He does explain his theory very well but it is still a hopecast because effectively he's hoping this will go here and that will go there.

I'd agree with wolfie that it's more than likely going to happen if it is at all after Xmas and in the new year sometime.
    However if it does,it's going to be from an entirely differens set of synoptics to what is posted in that video.
    Weather doesn't do carbon copies.

Regarding Mt's forecast,he got preXmas spot on last year aswell but after Xmas no more cold came like he was expecting.
    So I'm hoping the same doesn't happen this year,ie the first half of mt's winter forecast is spot on but the 2nd half falls down :(

blackius wrote: »
    He does explain his theory very well but it is still a hopecast because effectively he's hoping this will go here and that will go there.

I'd agree with wolfie that it's more than likely going to happen if it is at all after Xmas and in the new year sometime.
    However if it does,it's going to be from an entirely differens set of synoptics to what is posted in that video.
    Weather doesn't do carbon copies.

Regarding Mt's forecast,he got preXmas spot on last year aswell but after Xmas no more cold came like he was expecting.
    So I'm hoping the same doesn't happen this year,ie the first half of mt's winter forecast is spot on but the 2nd half falls down :(

He got it all right last year though black? Or am i reading you wrong

He got the big freeze right but iirc he was looking to a new freeze in january after that one that did not happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

In fairness though a big freeze after Christmas last year was just a near miss. It just goes to show how we can have all the right parameters in place, but still miss out on the cold.
    This is a good thing to keep in mind after we get over the barbecue Christmas. It could end up that we do get a Scandinavian high, but without favourable undercutting we miss out on the cold.

I know mr pessimist as usual :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

ye i think he said avg first half of jan after new years which was right, but then he expected it to get very cold mid month again but that didnt happen. then what did he say about feb? cant remember...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

Anyone think dublin kildare wicklow could see snow tonight,also thru night good chance too ,this mild spell models are showing may not even happen,the ao index may start to show a dip by next tues or so so joe b seems to think i mean the 14 days out part so that would mean a dip starting in the frist week in jan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement