Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

apparently something called ''strat warming'' is occurring ,people are talking about it on the daily mail and say this is good as itll hugely increase chances of cold winter and the warming will coincide with jan,another factor looking like mts winter forecast will work out.
    the guy said''Holy smokes, just taken a look at the strat forecast charts and the strat thread on netweather, very promising signs indeed showing, with a big warming event forecast, and forecast to actually get down to the lower levels of the strat (30hpa) which will effect the vortex as we come into the new year. These are very promising signs indeed, and now i have higher confiedence of a below average january and this is backed up by the heightened increase in wave activity. I will defenitaly watch this over the coming days to see if it keeps the idea. if this does come to frutition, maybe the cold weather could come sooner, don't be just watching the end of january into february, i feel there will be a decent cold spell before the likely SSW which is timed late january.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Whats all this about snowy conditions for the south east on friday , im doubtful . :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

bb1234567 wrote: »
    apparently something called ''strat warming'' is occurring ,people are talking about it on the daily mail and say this is good as itll hugely increase chances of cold winter and the warming will coincide with jan,another factor looking like mts winter forecast will work out.
    the guy said''Holy smokes, just taken a look at the strat forecast charts and the strat thread on netweather, very promising signs indeed showing, with a big warming event forecast, and forecast to actually get down to the lower levels of the strat (30hpa) which will effect the vortex as we come into the new year. These are very promising signs indeed, and now i have higher confiedence of a below average january and this is backed up by the heightened increase in wave activity. I will defenitaly watch this over the coming days to see if it keeps the idea. if this does come to frutition, maybe the cold weather could come sooner, don't be just watching the end of january into february, i feel there will be a decent cold spell before the likely SSW which is timed late january.
    :)

There is a whole thread on the topic here on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Speculatores

This is likely to be an infuriating question for most of you on here, but here goes nevertheless. From what I've been reading over the past few weeks it would appear that those forecasters who predicted the worst winter in decades the 'mini ice-age' as it were, have been slightly incorrect in their predictions so far. Whether this was them simply telling us what we all wanted to hear I don't know?
    However I have still monitored the forum but I am at a miss as to the data in some of the charts? I appreciate that predicting anything but a few days ahead is difficult, if not impossible, but is what the forecasters predicted as a hard winter a wash out (not pun intended in regard to the ever present rain) or is it the case of various weather patterns holding the real cold-snap back until Jan/Feb 2012? Do the charts when you look at them as a whole (and knowing what they actually represent!) show any possibility of this delayed cold weather?

jo06555 wrote: »
    Whats all this about snowy conditions for the south east on friday , im doubtful . :confused:

well two weather has high of 3degrees low of 1 on thursday and friday in dublin city with light snow from 9pm thursday til 9am friday :) might get a couple cms if it sticks :)and its fairly much certain as its only 1 day away, may not be last year but atleast its wintery ! hopefully jan will be really bad.
    its looking to be very cold up until 21st with highs of only 3-5 most days until then but after that til new years its looking very mild with highs of around 9.

• Advertisement

well two weather has high of 3degrees low of 1 on thursday and friday in dublin city with light snow from 9pm thursday til 9am friday :) might get a couple cms if it sticks :)and its fairly much certain as its only 1 day away, may not be last year but atleast its wintery ! hopefully jan will be really bad.
    its looking to be very cold up until 21st with highs of only 3-5 most days until then but after that til new years its looking very mild with highs of around 9.

Dublin? ?? What about Waterford ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Dublin? ?? What about Waterford ;)

Carlow!!! don't for get Carlow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

Just saw the weather for west midlands and it going to SNOW! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    on Friday , so happy, I Can not wait for Friday now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

good evening all!,Been a while!,Have not been on Boards since the Snow In of last winter...

Really looking forward to mainly reading all the upcoming reports of snow from all around ireland & indeed cork:p:rolleyes:

now time to put on some festive music and perform my snow dance!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 derek bilko

go to metcheck.ie type waterford for postcode and it shows heavy snow for tomorrow night hope its true bring on the snow woop woop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

go to metcheck.ie type waterford for postcode and it shows heavy snow for tomorrow night hope its true bring on the snow woop woop

You might as well be looking up a cow's ar*e than checking that website - its based on computer models that change all the time and I have found it to be roughly 90% inaccurate :D

D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

I wouldn’t get to excited its more than likely using the gfs models, I really can’t see Waterford getting much more than sleet, Should have a better ideas in the next hour as the 18z run is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Serious ice on roads around the Athlone area

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

However I have still monitored the forum but I am at a miss as to the data in some of the charts? I appreciate that predicting anything but a few days ahead is difficult, if not impossible, but is what the forecasters predicted as a hard winter a wash out (not pun intended in regard to the ever present rain) or is it the case of various weather patterns holding the real cold-snap back until Jan/Feb 2012? Do the charts when you look at them as a whole (and knowing what they actually represent!) show any possibility of this delayed cold weather?

Possibility ... yes. Cold weather/Snow in January and February is far from unusual though. The people who predicted a re run of the last few years cold before christmas have been wrong so far. Check out MT Craniums winter forecast .. it's been spot on so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

mid week on tv3 on now artic winter

I wouldn’t get to excited its more than likely using the gfs models, I really can’t see Waterford getting much more than sleet, Should have a better ideas in the next hour as the 18z run is out.

Not good news on latest run is it? ?????

i counted very roughly and more than 350 people have commented on this topic, thats a lot of people. And id say bar maybe 5 all are snowlovers:P ha didnt know there were so many people who liked snow in ireland:)everyone i know seems to hate it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

i counted very roughly and more than 350 people have commented on this topic, thats a lot of people. And id say bar maybe 5 all are snowlovers:P ha didnt know there were so many people who liked snow in ireland:)everyone i know seems to hate it!

You hang around with the wrong sort of people :cool:

Wild Bill wrote: »
    You hang around with the wrong sort of people :cool:

knew id get responses like this:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

jimmy.d wrote: »
    mid week on tv3 on now artic winter

That feckin programme can't be live,saying severe weather coming with strong winds.And of course Global warming was mentioned.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

redsunset wrote: »
    That feckin programme can't be live,saying severe weather coming with strong winds.And of course Global warming was mentioned.:rolleyes:

Where would we be without it. If it wasn't for global warming weather would be set in stone and there would be no variation in temps year on year

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Well hello Audrey,

The world weather on RTE 2 has never looked so good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

By the way,Joe Bastardi is remaining bullish as regards an icy cold january.
    One of his latest tweets compares the strat warming event of dec 84 with what occurred in the states in january 85.

Ireland also got a bitter cold in january 85 from the northeast and East.
    Lots and lots of snow in Dublin.

https://twitter.com/#!/BigJoeBastardi/status/147294211392290816/photo/1/large

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

blackius wrote: »
    One of his latest tweets compares the strat warming event of dec 84 with what occurred in the states in january 85.

I said this could happen weeks ago is joe b only saying thisnow

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

mcriot29 wrote: »
    blackius wrote: »

I said this could happen weeks ago is joe b only saying thisnow
    But let's see te south east get all the snow this time if it happens :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

only one wrote: »
    But let's see te south east get all the snow this time if it happens :)

Yes the south east is much more favoured when we get an easterley or north easterly, Time will tell:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Right so , anyone care to explain what is happening here , The 7 day showing negative but the 10 and 14 day building it up , some of it crossing the same timeframe :confused:

185318.png

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

Right so , anyone care to explain what is happening here , The 7 day showing negative but the 10 and 14 day building it up , some of it crossing the same timeframe :confused:

185318.png

It just a 2 day dip so its not shown on the 14 day total index , also notice has it goes up to record highs by around xmas day
    Also worth saying if we have cold weather with it so high, it shows what me could have if it dips , we need a dip of at least -1 for at least 5 days to get a good cold spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The 12z can only be described as soul destroying! A real 88-89 97-98 job :mad:
    If you haven't seen them yet don't even think about it!!

• Advertisement

The 12z can only be described as soul destroying! A real 88-89 97-98 job :mad:
    If you haven't seen them yet don't even think about it!!

were they especially mild winters or something?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement