Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you overweight? Check the facts and you could win €100

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 eejit

Eating is a habit - just like smoking and drinking. Breaking an eating habit requires serious effort and resolve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭CrystalLettuce

phil1nj wrote: »
    So a 14 year year old today is on average three stone heavier than his grandfather was at the same age? fair enough, what's the average difference in height between the 2 generations? What was a typical grandparents diet like comapred with a 14 year old today?

I have real issues with the BMI because it over simplifies the box that we are suppossed to fit in to. I'm technically obese based on my BMI despite the fact that I run 3 miles every other day. I weigh 15 stone, am 5ft 8in height and have a 46in chest . I have a fairly large waist measurement (it fluctuates between 38 to 36 inches depending on the time of year). If I were to hit my ideal weight (140lbs) I'd look pretty sickly compared to how I look now.

Whilst I don't disagree with the fact that there is a problem in general with weight gain I do tend to take any and all arguments made using the BMI with a fairly healthy grain of (sea) salt.

Sad that this comment will never win the prize.

Obesity can be quite scary but I think they really go about solving the problem in all the wrong ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

As someone who is obese and currently trying to make huge lifestyle changes in order to become healthier, I find your ad shocking.

Yes I appreciate the point you are trying to make by referring to obesity or being overweight as something that can be caught. But, in all honesty, I feel a bit crap about myself now. My self esteem isn't that great to begin with and then I watch your campaign and I feel like a leper!!

STAY AWAY FROM THE OBESE WOMAN, YOU MIGHT CATCH IT!
    Granted, not exactly what you're saying, but that's how it feels to be honest.

Your website is not helpful. Most people are aware that a healthier diet means more fruit and veggies, cutting down on junk and processed food etc. Yet that doesn't stop us reaching for a take away menu!

You need to show people that healthy eating is achievable and sustainable. If a campaign targeting healthy eating was run in schools, I'm sure the obesity rate would drop in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭gopod

I like the campaign that Safe Food are running. It is definitely 'food for thought' and has made me think about what and how much I'm eating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭CrystalLettuce

lizt wrote: »
    As someone who is obese and currently trying to make huge lifestyle changes in order to become healthier, I find your ad shocking.

Yes I appreciate the point you are trying to make by referring to obesity or being overweight as something that can be caught. But, in all honesty, I feel a bit crap about myself now. My self esteem isn't that great to begin with and then I watch your campaign and I feel like a leper!!

Your website is not helpful. Most people are aware that a healthier diet means more fruit and veggies, cutting down on junk and processed food etc. Yet that doesn't stop us reaching for a take away menu!

You need to show people that healthy eating is achievable and sustainable. If a campaign targeting healthy eating was run in schools, I'm sure the obesity rate would drop in the future.

This is problem. People need to know it's "okay" to be fat(even if it isn't really). Otherwise they'll just become too depressed and stuck in a rut. There's nothing "Wrong" with someone who's fat, they're just unhealthy; there are unhealthy skinny people too. Once you phrase it like that - it just becomes a case of becoming more healthy.

These campaigns only make things worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 rarr

When I first saw this campaign I was immediately alarmed.

Having spent a life time surrounded by athletes, many of whom [including myself] struggle with eating disorders, I find myself wondering if the weight I've put on is actually healthy or should I return to the 98lbs 5ft7 person [female] that I was. [I am no longer involved in set training, I just do it for fun and fitness]

However, this is a personal decision that I know is my choice to make, but I still worry for the others who will think the same thing I did and maybe not make the positive decision.

Awareness of obesity could cause a counter epidemic, but this is preventable.
    The key word is 'awareness'.

As regards keeping weight down/off/in constant 'good' shape:
    Make 20 minute cardio training more available in the mornings before school starts, encourage employees to walk for the last 15 minutes of their lunch break, encourage your teens to walk before they study, buy a bike and cycle to work/school/university/the shop to buy a Twirl bar, eat sowly and enjoy food.
    Just be aware that you don't need everything but you do need some things.

Maybe the only really true constant when it comes to fitness and health is your heart rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I find it interesting to see that the x xxl sizes have all gone up to make us feel better about ourselves. I like the plain talking of the advert and the 'nowhere to hide' pitch, which yes, it is a bit harsh, but we SHOULD feel ashamed. As someone who has been overweight for about 15 years, I remember how horrified and ashamed I was when I bought my first size 16 dress. Now that my weight has gradually crept up however, if a size 20 is tight on me, I blame the shop for sizing their clothes wrongly. Complacency has well and truly set in. After giving up smoking, the extra weight that I have gained no longer allows me to call myself overweight, instead ballooning me way up into the obesity camp. On a recent business trip, I nearly broke sweat and was really out of breath trying to fasten my seat belt on an aeroplane. I had less than 1 cm of belt left. If in future, the belt doesn't do up, I would not be able to live with the horror of asking for the extension belt and would probably hide it with a coat or something and hope the crew didn't notice that I was open. If, as the advert shows, things have been made bigger to accommodate us, shouldn't that be stopped too? Perhaps this advert should be the tip of the iceberg. Like smoking, perhaps they should bully and scare us into doing the right thing. It isn't easy viewing, but if it helps even a small percentage, that's got to be worth something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Ald

I met an old schoolmate a few weeks ago and his first words were: "You have changed!" I didn't think I had and asked in what way. "You used to be fat". I was somewhat surprised. I didn't think I used to be fat but I knew I wasn't the healthiest. I took up playing hurling and struck the balance eating wise. I still really enjoy my food. I think learning to cook can be an awesome asset if you're trying to develop a heathier lifestyle! If you know how to cook you can make anything taste good. My advice would be: Enjoy whatever it is you do to make yourself healthier.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭SLIM19198

Video is great, but what about the morbidly obese like myself, its no longer a habit but an addiction! I am 34 years oold and I am 40 stone, I put on weight faster than anything!

Its not that I eat because I am hungry, its that if I dont eat, I actually get the DT's!

So how about aiming some of that info for us people who cannot go for a walk, who cannot excercise, who cannot even shop for ourselves!

For obese people it is an awesome resource, but for the super morbidly obese, its lacking a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Elohim

SLIM19198 wrote: »
    Video is great, but what about the morbidly obese like myself, its no longer a habit but an addiction! I am 34 years oold and I am 40 stone, I put on weight faster than anything!

Its not that I eat because I am hungry, its that if I dont eat, I actually get the DT's!

So how about aiming some of that info for us people who cannot go for a walk, who cannot excercise, who cannot even shop for ourselves!

For obese people it is an awesome resource, but for the super morbidly obese, its lacking a lot!

No offense but it sounds like you're at the stage where ya need a doctor or nurse to help ya get down to the point where ya can help yourself.

• Advertisement

Elohim wrote: »

No offense but it sounds like you're at the stage where ya need a doctor or nurse to help ya get down to the point where ya can help yourself.

I agree, but when you are unemployed, there is a waiting list and it ain't short :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 25 BMG83

Love the video. Love Boards.ie Love SafeFood. Love to win €100!
    Something puzzles me about SafeFood concentrating on this issue? It is a serious and important issue but it is out of their area?
    I think they should be more concerned with BBQ's and E. coli.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Roger Marbles

I agree, but when you are unemployed, there is a waiting list and it ain't short :-(

Well there is plenty of great advice here in the stickies which will put you on the road to success :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 kaireland

A few seconds in your mouth, some hours in your stomach and the rest of your life in your hips... it's just not worth it! Be aware, love your body and take care of it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Obesity is a massive problem in Ireland. Just as an example I know a lot of people who justify their weight with the astounding line "Oh, well my BMI is 29, but I run/cycle/walk every day". Self-justification of weight and obesity figures are quite simply frightening. As a person who battled weight in their early teens, I know exactly what problems people face both psychologically and physically in losing weight and being obese.

It doesn't take any well knitted genius to estimate that people today weigh far more than they ever did. It's cheaper to buy 20 chocolate bars than it is to buy six apples. We have snack machines everywhere and "bad foods" are available more readily and effectively than "good foods". The problem lies with us. Driving through McDonald's or getting a delivery from Abrakebra is far easier than sourcing food and cooking them ourselves. We have become lazier than ever with food. We want it quickly with as little effort involved. How many people actually look at the information on the back of what they buy either? I don't see people turn stuff over like I do in the supermarkets. Of course I see people doing it, but the majority don't bother. Just buy that 12 pack of Rockies for the kids in school because it's a €1. That gives you 12 lunches for the kids. Why would you buy 6 apples for an extra €1 or €2 when you can feed the kids for lunch for something they actually want, sweets instead of something healthier and dearer like an apple or orange.

If the government can force tobacco companies to put a label on the front to tell you this will happen etc., including the soon to be introduced picture messages on the boxes, why can't they do something similar for food? Writing a few digits beside the words calorie, fibre, fat etc. means nothing to a lot of people. Or the classic line "enjoy as a part of a healthy balanced diet". If you asked some people what is a healthy balanced diet, they wouldn't be able to tell you. I wouldn't be able to tell you about a healthy balanced diet. I just don't know what that is. It doesn't tell me what to eat. I was never told in school about what exactly a healthy balanced diet is. Doesn't your body have times where it is better to eat and when it is not. If I eat everything in the one go, is that ok? I don't know, nor do many normal everyday people. The whole thing is misleading. A food pyramid with a chicken, egg and ham isn't going to help most people.

I see drink driving advertisements, I see adverts telling me how bad drugs and smoking are, but I don't see the ones about weight. I'd love to know what the government are actually doing to tackle this? I'm sure a lot of people in Ireland are overweight without actually knowing that they are. Nobody ever told me I was overweight until I lost the weight. Am I missing something here? Or is the whole obesity problem practically ignored?

Maybe I am talking rubbish here but I just don't see the effort being put into tackling obesity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I'm a big fatso, fatter than most people I see on the street. The video isn't of much use to me because it hasn't really told me anything I didn't know, and I'm not sure any video could unless it happened to have an audiovisual silver bullet. I like when skinnier people talk to me about me being overweight as if it's any of their damn business, as if my head is so fat I can't comprehend being overweight.

I'm not saying it's grand being overweight but I'm not sure what a campaign like this can actually do. I suppose parents can be more discerning over what they feed their kids, but like if you don't already know that I don't know what to tell you, and maybe there's some people who genuinely don't realise they're overweight.

Losing a significant amount of weight requires a deep personal commitment to long term, incremental change, something that most of us fatties (probably including myself) don't have the capacity for. Have any of these campaigns, in any country, ever actually worked?

People across the world continue to get fatter, partially because of vast, disruptive changes in lifestyle with regard to physical labour, how many miles we drive, leisure time etc. and at the other end the unchecked proliferation of cheap, tasty, large portioned fast food and processed foods.

I'm not sure short of draconian nanny-stateism, advances in medical treatment that mitigate the worst effects of obesity, or a real, effective diet pill what can be done societally about obesity. Our government seems to think it all right to restrict alcohol and tobacco access, so how come nothing similar exists for foods that taken in normal portions, are nutritionally unsound, overly fatty etc? Maybe peak oil will have the unforeseen benefit of forcing us to walk more and restricting access to fattier foods.

At least those ads aren't as bad as the Norn Iron ones. Christ of almighty, they're ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

I find this really strange. You complain that the ad is not being nice enough to you, like the other ads have been. But then state that while you know you should eat healthily, you don't. I know everyone doesn't eat healthily all the time but to become obese, or close to it, you have to be eating unhealthily most of the time. Since the nice, nice ads haven't worked, a series of harsh ads are needed, IMO.

You are right about proper teaching in schools but also, this sort of thing should be happening at home first and foremost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

What a fantastic country Ireland is where an unemployed person can be morbidly obese even though we have higher public debt than Sudan, Malawi, Bangledesh and Ethiopia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

I think this campaign is wrong... I measured my waist and I was 2 inches under the "obese" line.... I'm 5'11" and weigh around 11stone.... im not even close to being overweight yet the "test" implies im not that far off...

Similarly a few women in my life are classified as being obese according to this yet they are both a healthy weight...

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Roger Marbles

fionny wrote: »
    I think this campaign is wrong... I measured my waist and I was 2 inches under the "obese" line.... I'm 5'11" and weigh around 11stone.... im not even close to being overweight yet the "test" implies im not that far off...

Similarly a few women in my life are classified as being obese according to this yet they are both a healthy weight...

These guidelines do not define whether someone is obese or not. Obesity is defined by BMI.

These recommendations are a measure of bodyfat distribution, which if centrally distributed over a certain level is associated with increased risk of certain diseases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

reprazant wrote: »
    I find this really strange. You complain that the ad is not being nice enough to you, like the other ads have been. But then state that while you know you should eat healthily, you don't. I know everyone doesn't eat healthily all the time but to become obese, or close to it, you have to be eating unhealthily most of the time. Since the nice, nice ads haven't worked, a series of harsh ads are needed, IMO.

You are right about proper teaching in schools but also, this sort of thing should be happening at home first and foremost.

You didn't read my post, or did you just happen to ignore the part where I said I'm making major lifestyle changes to lose weight. You can be damn sure I didn't do it because of a safe food campaign.
    Yes I did make bad food choices, that's why I'm obese. My point is that nearly everyone who's obese knows that they're obese because of the crap that they eat. But they still eat it. For me, I just don't think this ad will do anything to stop that.

And I actually find your comment about the home offensive if it was directed at me, you don't know anything about my home situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

You didn't read my post, or did you just happen to ignore the part where I said I'm making major lifestyle changes to lose weight. You can be damn sure I didn't do it because of a safe food campaign.
    Yes I did make bad food choices, that's why I'm obese. My point is that nearly everyone who's obese knows that they're obese because of the crap that they eat. But they still eat it. For me, I just don't think this ad will do anything to stop that.

And I actually find your comment about the home offensive if it was directed at me, you don't know anything about my home situation.

I never said you were doing it because of the ad. Congratulations on that by the way. Also, the home comment was a general comment and not directed at you, so there is no need to be so sensitive.

My point is that people know that eating unhealthy food is bad yet they still do it. So, if they do it knowing that it is bad, what is the point of sugar coating what they all ready know? Anti-smoking ads don't sugar coat the dangers of smoking, why should ads aimed at stopping people killing themselves through unhealthy lifestyles?

Zamboni wrote: »
    What a fantastic country Ireland is where an unemployed person can be morbidly obese even though we have higher public debt than Sudan, Malawi, Bangledesh and Ethiopia.

I became unemployed BEFORE I became unemployed!

I am actually a fairly decent I.T. specialist!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I became unemployed BEFORE I became unemployed!

I am actually a fairly decent I.T. specialist!

Well at least it means you have a lot of free time to address your issue.
    Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Tmeos

Overall I think it's a positive move to get people thinking about their weight. I've recently lost 2 stone of baby weight myself (with another one to go) so I know how easy it is to get complacent about your weight when life gets in the way. I do agree that the tone could have been better, and I wonder how many people are really unaware of their weight issues. Before I lost the weight I was not in denial about it, I simply didn't care enough at the time to do anything about it. So the issue for me was not that I didn't know I was overweight, more that I didn't have the motivation to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 thatone

Hi Dermot,

I think the campaign is great. I also think it ties in with a few other movements going on - this mass movement towards local food (healthy, coming from your own region, not processed), and people becoming more aware of themselves and their eating habits. The struggle for this perfect balance between too thin and too fat isn't exactly historic. We've eaten ourselves into this mess only in the last few decades. As I write this, I'm sitting at a computer, after spending an hour watching a cookery show, mind you. I'm fairly sure there are plenty of other people in my situation though, aware but just not able to get off to the right start.

I'm not at my right weight, I'm a fair amount over, and struggling to get it under control. The thing is, I know it all. The science, the risks, the bad side to it. I'm a doctor to be, and I've seen it first hand. Yet, here I am, trying to knock off all of the excess weight and it's really, really tough. It really comes down to getting up from the chair right now and doing something about it. More exercise, less food. It isn't going to happen in a week, or even a month. I'm looking at a year to get to my goal. But in a years time, I'll look back at a photo that was sneakily shot of me (as I never volunteer for them) and I won't regret any of the effort I put in. I know for me and for many of the people I know, we don't eat too unhealthily - the odd takeaway, probably once a month, and I am a chocolate fan, but it's not what I eat, it's when I eat. I'm probably guilty of emotional eating. Feeling bad - have some chocolate. Feeling good - a treat it is. Feeling stressed - give me some pasta! I know I do it, and am fairly sure it's a common occurrence. I'm admitting to it here in case some people are under the impression that they're the only ones. Comes with guilt though (a biscuit for guilt).

It's simple really. Another year could see me another 2 stone heavier, not going on holidays because I'd be too embarrassed to wear clothes that revealed any pudginess, huffing and puffing to get around; or I could be 2 stone (hopefully more) lighter, with a figure I don't mind showing off so much, some pictures and memories to keep that I don't recoil in horror at the sight of, and a sense of pride in what I achieved.

I think the first week is the hardest when it comes to weight loss. You have no 'I lost a pound last week' to spur you on. A week is a long time when you're waiting to see a result.

BUT the best you can do is think about that new figure, the happiness that comes with it, and go for a walk. One foot in front of the other. Get a pedometer, set a distance goal and try to beat yourself each week. Go to a class. Get an exercise DVD. There are so many ways to get fit and lose weight now, there aren't any more excuses. At least go and talk to your doctor if you're not happy with your weight. Not for drugs, there's no easy fix, and there are no fad diets that are going to help. I think I've inspired myself to go out for a walk now, so I'll end my now extremely long reply, but I hope that people reading this in the same situation might just do the same.

Check back with me in a month, I'll keep note of progress...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Has a winner been picked yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Probably Safefood: Dermot, his comments were about the only ones supportive of Safefood after all :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Probably Safefood: Dermot, his comments were about the only ones supportive of Safefood after all :pac::pac::pac:

Massive heh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

We have winners!

After a few days consulting and reading through the huge number of posts (thank you all who entered), we have decided that the following people made the best comments:

phil1nj
    safefood says: Thoughtful post trying to relate the information in the video to his/her own experience. Concludes that diet today is better and the main difference is in activity levels.
    Dav says: Phil's is a positive message laying out the facts as he sees them in relation to the ad and also points out that choice of food today is better than it was so there's less reason to eat unhealthily.

Drumpot
    safefood says: Interesting comment on the style of the ad – drawing on the scary movie style is a waste of time because we are desensitized and they would respond better to something that appealed directly to different motivations to lose weight.
    Dav says: Drumpot is aiming to expand on the campaign's initial message and has put some thought into the social impact of this sort of campaign.

marmat.
    safefood says: We think this is a valuable insight, and rarely mentioned – aside from the parental modeling issue, we think it is also true that many families have two dinner sittings, one for the kids and another for the adults. Also, kids menus in restaurants rarely include healthy options.
    Dav says: Marmat's just talking a whole lot of sense :)

A big thank you to everyone who entered - I'll be contacting the winners by PM.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement