Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you overweight? Check the facts and you could win €100

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 safefood: Deirdre

Hi, Deirdre here, another member of the Communications team at safefood. I'm just popping on to say that Dermot is otherwise engaged at the moment, but will be checking in on the thread over the weekend, and we'll be back to answer questions on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

I will start my comment stating that I am Italian and lived in Italy until the age of 32 so my diet and my habits are a bit different from the "average" Irish person, for some aspects surely healthier, for some aspects probably worst.
    This said...there would be so much to say about the "models" that are been endorsed/pushed/recomended...so much...I will try just to say that I agree with posters that said "go back to possibly local, fresh produced, home processed, home grown, organic, non genetically modified, free range, non frozen etc etc food"...at least as much as you can!

Completely on another level I think your TV advertising campaign is CRIMINAL. Maybe cause I come from another country where anorexia is more known and probably more spread of a problem but I think who thought, authorised and aired this campaign should be JAILED.
    You are being sectarian towards overweight (even slightly, or not overweight, as some other posters pointed out) people. Even if I was 200 kilos (sorry, don't know the stones/pounds system enough) I would NOT want to be regarded as someone that is gonna rub a sickness on my friends/partner/family, like a paria, someone to be avoided in case they don't engage on a severe diet/exercise regime/stomach reduction/hormon medication, etc. What you did is higly dangerous and I hope someone with better possibilities/knowledge of Irish legal system brings you to Court.

This is not gonna win me any voucher but it had to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Hi g'em and thanks for your comments.
    On the ad, we're trying to begin to address an effect known as "social contagion" where people spend time together, eat similar foods and undertake similar amounts of physical activity - there's research which shows that amongst adult siblings, if one sibling became obese, the chance that the other would become obese increased by 40%.

Your ad:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YarpWrLn9Zo
    around 17s in, essentially implies that this 'social contagion' happens like a biological contagion.

This is, of course, misleading rubbish, and will be interpreted that you shouldn't hug fat people, in the same way you shouldn't hug someone with the flu.
    This is very irresponsible stuff.

The next issue I have is more technical.
    You mention research on the 'social contagion' of obesity.

I assume you are referring to the Christakis and Fowler paper:
    http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1008030

While this is very interesting work, it hasn't proven the case as to fatness been a 'social contagion'.

The fact is that these things are very hard to study.
    There also been criticism and response to that study:
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0167629608000362
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2597062/

which are basically pointing out that its very hard to separate out the effect of similar people choosing to be, or remain, friends, from contagion effects.

How to tease out these issues is an ongoing area of research and debate. (One recent example: http://smr.sagepub.com/content/40/2/211.short)

But, from my perspective, I'd say the issue is still wide open for debate.

I'm really surprised that people are implementing public health campaigns which take the most broad claims at face value, and propagate them.

Have you got any experts on your team that fully understand the ongoing debate?
    I'd just be surprised at you making such a black-and-white ad, if you did?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Ouchette

Moving away from the healthy eating debate for a moment...

In a way, I actually thought the advert was quite good (not voucher fishing! Probably not eligible)- shocking enough to hopefully cut through some of the complacency- but at the same time I'm a bit concerned at the whole contagion idea.

I understand that if you're often around overweight people, you're far, far more likely to be overweight yourself but the ad implies causation (i.e. having fat friends will make you fat) and I'm not sure the evidence is there to show that it's anything more than correlation (except within a family, where eating the same food would be the clear causal link ;))

E.g. Not a single person I work with appears to be overweight. This is not because healthy habits have rubbed off on each other, but because I'm in an industry dominated by a demographic group that's exceptionally health-conscious. So, if I upped my cake and biccies intake, would everyone else start putting on weight? Doubt it. It seems more likely that overweight people know other overweight people because generally we mainly know people with similar circumstances to ourselves - live in same area, similar education... all indicators of obesity levels.

If the evidence is there, then fair enough and I'd be very interested in having a look at it. I've seen some interesting (but iffy) data that suggests quitting smoking is actually highly contagious, so I could believe that learning to make healthy choices could potentially be the same and could potentially have been a much more positive campaign. But getting fat when you make fat friends? Not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 PuddleMooders

It's a good campaign. Maybe it could motivate communities to hold regular sports days, sponsored walks, save up to bring the kids in towns to adventure centres. We need to start thinking ourselves and acting on how, as a group, we can make sure we stay healthy. It's kind of shameful that an advertisement has to bring our attention to our weight when we should have been able to realize there's a growing problem with our weight.

All these community based activities would allow people to get to know everyone that they live next to. Make Ireland back into the way it used to be, friendly and community based, not having everyone closed off from each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

g'em wrote: »
    @ angelfire - let's be blunt about this. You're 6' right? Not many women are six foot tall. I think it's a reasonable assumption to make to say that you are an outlier where these norms are concerned and to try and allude that the campaign is calling you personally fat is pretty incredulous. For the average Irish woman a 32" inch waist does indivate that she is overweight.

QUOTE from the ad on page 1 of this thread:
    32 inches (for women) and 37 inches (for men) are the recommended maximum waist sizes, no matter how tall or small you are

When you click the link and give your measurement i.e. in my case 34 inches you get the following (in a similar size, font & colour):

Look's like you're overweight
    You're waist is greater than 32 inches

That is scandalous IMHO!

Its asking for a generation of bulimics & anorexics to develop! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭milkycoffey

It would be great if everyone in school was thought how to make 5 meals. I think Jamie Oliver has the right idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

angelfire9 wrote:
    That is scandalous IMHO!

Its asking for a generation of bulimics & anorexics to develop! :mad:
    I think this may be unnecessarily vilifying the campaign tbh. Granted a blanket statement about waist size regardless of height is a little silly, but blaming it for a "generation" of eating disorders is fairly scaremongerish.

The wording is certainly something for the folks at safefood to look at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Good thread so far and has been a great discussion.

I love safefoods idea to get people to measure around the waist, its very humbling and indisputable. Granted some people dont fit the profile. However, as a general rule of thumb, it works and its very accurate!

My take on the whole food pyramid debate is probably in line with Hanley and others, the carb content is too high to be rational. Maybe 50 years ago when we were all working in fields, yeah, but if you work in an office all day, you'd be nuts to eat like that!! To me your activity in a day should determine your carb intake.

g'em wrote: »
    I think this may be unnecessarily vilifying the campaign tbh. Granted a blanket statement about waist size regardless of height is a little silly, but blaming it for a "generation" of eating disorders is fairly scaremongerish.

The wording is certainly something for the folks at safefood to look at.

I am someone who is NOT overweight (in fact I could do with gaining a few pounds) yet the site told me I need to LOSE weight
    That is scaremongering

It's fine for me, I'm in my 30's I don't lack self confidence and I am not body conscious (2 kids / 2 pregnancies would negate any self consciousness)
    Imagine though if I was a self conscious teenager with body issues
    Being told that you are overweight when blatantly you are not is IMHO dangerous
    One factor (in this case the waist size) is NOT enough to determine obesity or lack thereof
    If I was any skinnier I'd look anorexic
    I know my height is a big factor but men and women are taller now than ever before
    It seems completely irresponsible to me to put so much emphasis on the size of one's waist
    A 4ft nothing girl with my weight would probably be obese and she'd probably have more than a 34 inch waist to be fair, but 34 inches does not seem fat to me and I'd imagine alot of women over 5ft 6" have a 34" waist!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Cakeplease

Yeah, I am overweight by a few pounds, but this time last year I was bulemic and my waist was most definitely under 32 inches.. When do you think I was healthier?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 xcaramellox

I have read through all of the posts in this thread, I believe there are good intentions behind this idea but I do however find it dumb at the same time, I don't mean to sound bad, but I believe people are informed of "Healthy" and non healthy foods, they just choose to eat what they like more. I don't agree with this either but that is what they choose. An advert may not change that.

I am heavy myself I and I wouldn't say I am huge as in comparison to some people I have seen, but I know how my body looks, I know how much I weigh and I find it better that I don't get stuck on numbers, But over the course of 5-6 months I have lost over almost 4 stone, and its not because an advert told me I was obese or from words of any other person, but it is because I wanted to and I intend on losing it until I feel good and healthy not for me to fit into some recommended waistline, I disagree with that. I'm all for being a healthy weight but not to what people tell me what they find is right. I STILL eat chocolate, Not frequently but whoever says to not indulge in a small bit of chocolate or low fat ice cream as a small treat personally needs a smack, there is no need to fully deprive yourself from them. You just need to be able to control your portions with everything. Its all about will power. I check the packaging of foods before I buy them and I make a choice whether to not buy it or not. I walk every where that I can on average 4-5 miles a day, I do general exercise, I dance around my house like an idiot and I have started dance classes to help further my weight loss and to challenge my body further.

As for the GP, I went to the GP before, they had no clue, they did not recommend what to eat even, all they did was put me on a diet pill, and if that is their answer for it all then I don't know what to say. Also I am fairly sure that people are more successful going to weight watchers instead of the GP, people are re-educated on foods, they don't make you buy their own labels. You have a room full of people with the same goals making for a good support system. And they set realistic goals. Not being put on diet pills with no further advice or follow ups.
    But on my own I have changed my food, I still get to have my treats and I'm more active then ever, but not because of an advert or what other people suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

I think the new campaign is brillant, nothing like a cold hard fact of a waist measurement to focus the mind. I have been amazed by the amount of negative reactions i have seen to this ad. At my recent weightwatchers class a woman scornfully said that that it was ridiculous to expect a woman in her fifties to have the same waist size as a girl in her twenties.
    It provoked a lot of debate but the upshot was we all agreed that the ad campaign is a success. And that there is an awareness now that in Ireland being overweight is the norm and is accepted and BMI etc is pooh poohed as rubbish as 'sure a few pounds wont matter'.
    I can see that Ireland is going down the road to being the same as America in terms of obesity rates and that scares me, I live in Lucan where a FOURTH McDonalds is due to open shortly, and the Dominos is statisically the busiest branch in the entire country - that horrifies me, though in fairness i can see how people who have long commutes to work take the easy option for food in the evening ...
    I for one welcome this campaign and hope that it continues.
    I feel that the only way to tackle this issue is to start from the ground up ie education in schools. But I would love to see some initiatives around exercise for adults my age (40s). Exercise was never encourage in my school days or by my parents so it would be great to get the opportunity to try different forms of exercise as part of a 'fun day' to see if i would find one i liked (instead of spending money joining a gym and then finding out it doesnt motivate me)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Cakeplease wrote: »
    Yeah, I am overweight by a few pounds, but this time last year I was bulemic and my waist was most definitely under 32 inches.. When do you think I was healthier?

In fairness, this campaign is not aimed at those recovering/recovered from eating disorders. It is aimed at the general public who are not recovering from one, who are overweight/obese.

You will never be able to create a campaign that hits home without wrapping every sub section of society that the campaign is not intended for in a nice cosy quilt protecting them. People need to apply a little common sense.

In saying that though, the campaign is far far without its flaws, and that has already been touched on at length here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Great campaign to raise awareness time for people to take control of their weight and realise they are over weight.

In my own case I got a regular blood test in March to discover my cholesterol was at 8 it was the kick I needed to get more active and actually look at what I was eating. Result is I've lost two stone down and colesterol is down to 5.9. Am still working on it but feel better than I have in years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ani33

My twopence worth
    I think people with BMI and waist circumferences over the recommeded know the difference between being an exception (an athlete etc) and knowing they need to lose a few or a lot of pounds. When I was 10 stone BMI 24 my waist was 38 - I needed to lose a few pounds and tone up for my build. The obesity epidemic is really scary and I personally am very scared for our kids. I think people trying to raise awareness and promote healthy eating and exercise should be commended not slated. No campaign will be perfect.
    I personally dont believe a campaign like this would trigger an eating disorder, I had one for ten years and I believe it is a lot more complex plus with the opesity epidemic heading the way it is something has to be done to inform people.
    I also believe the food pyramid is flawed and the focus needs to shift to eating natural food, and way less sugar - that is the big differnence in our modern diet and I personally believe it is directly the cause of our growing size. I think the food pyramid need a big overhaul and should lean towards being low GI.
    One final point - I believe the government allowing direct advertising of junk food to our kids is criminal - dairylea lunchables for example - those adds make me so mad! All the processed packaged 'kids food' is wrong, and there should be stricter legislation surrounding it. Annabel Carmel wrote loads of books advising mums how to make lovely homemade food for their babies then brought out a range of processed food with salt added for little ones.

Ani33 wrote: »
    No campaign will be perfect.
    I personally dont believe a campaign like this would trigger an eating disorder, I had one for ten years and I believe it is a lot more complex plus with the opesity epidemic heading the way it is something has to be done to inform people.
    I also believe the food pyramid is flawed and the focus needs to shift to eating natural food, and way less sugar - that is the big differnence in our modern diet and I personally believe it is directly the cause of our growing size. I think the food pyramid need a big overhaul and should lean towards being low GI.

Iv highlighted the above as id agree.

1. No campaign will be perfect. Some people will always disagree with something so lets move on.

2. And not to go off topic - ED's are hugely complex by nature, mental disorders often manifested (not always) physically. To simplify it so much by saying a campaign will cause a generation of EDs is very naive. IMHO its going from A-Z and leaving out everything in-between.

3.Eat like a pyramid, look like a bloody pyramid! it has been long picked apart. If you are an endurance athlete, then, ok, eat like a pyramid. Auto immune diseases, CHD, CV disease are all on the rise and somehow people don't seem to be making the connection that what we eat is fundamental for years, decades to come regards our bodies. Is it because it's easier to ignore the cause and just put a band aid over a bullet wound?

The campaign has its flaws without a shadow of a doubt but dermot and safefood can only work with so much really, they're hands are tied. If it wakes some people up, then it's done some good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Just watched the video and I was shocked at the difference in overweight figures between now and the 1990's because the 90's weren't that long ago when you think about it!

I liked the way the video made it quite simple to understand. We are just eating more and doing less. You don't need a fancy diet or gadgets to help you lose weight, just eat less and do more! I'm much more active than I was a year ago but still not active enough. I had planned a lazy Saturday but now I'm off to get my runners on and will bring the dog for a long walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

ergonomics wrote: »
    Just watched the video and I was shocked at the difference in overweight figures between now and the 1990's because the 90's weren't that long ago when you think about it!

I liked the way the video made it quite simple to understand. We are just eating more and doing less. You don't need a fancy diet or gadgets to help you lose weight, just eat less and do more! I'm much more active than I was a year ago but still not active enough. I had planned a lazy Saturday but now I'm off to get my runners on and will bring the dog for a long walk.

Easier said then done,

back in the 1990s i was under weight, 27 inch waist, now im a 32 inch waist but that's 3 kids later and only after my 3rd child did i retain the weight before that i was still slim.

its 13.44 now i've eaten nothing since 8 o'clock last night. ive also been cleaning the house since 9 this morning, i sat at the computer chair only 20 mins ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Easier said then done,

back in the 1990s i was under weight, 27 inch waist, now im a 32 inch waist but that's 3 kids later and only after my 3rd child did i retain the weight before that i was still slim.

its 13.44 now i've eaten nothing since 8 o'clock last night. ive also been cleaning the house since 9 this morning, i sat at the computer chair only 20 mins ago.

If it was easy, it wouldnt be a problem.

In general its small changes you barely think about that lead to weight creeping up like that. Using lifts and escalators instead of stairs, driving instead of walking 5 minutes to the shop, using dishwashers and dryers instead of washing dishes and hanging out clothes, etc. Loads of small reductions in your activity leading to one big one.

Also, not eating anything since 8 last night doesnt mean anything really. I could only eat twice in a day yet still consume over 3000 calories easily. You have to look at your overall day and week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Iv highlighted the above as id agree.

1. No campaign will be perfect. Some people will always disagree with something so lets move on.

2. And not to go off topic - ED's are hugely complex by nature, mental disorders often manifested (not always) physically. To simplify it so much by saying a campaign will cause a generation of EDs is very naive. IMHO its going from A-Z and leaving out everything in-between.

3.Eat like a pyramid, look like a bloody pyramid! it has been long picked apart. If you are an endurance athlete, then, ok, eat like a pyramid. Auto immune diseases, CHD, CV disease are all on the rise and somehow people don't seem to be making the connection that what we eat is fundamental for years, decades to come regards our bodies. Is it because it's easier to ignore the cause and just put a band aid over a bullet wound?

The campaign has its flaws without a shadow of a doubt but dermot and safefood can only work with so much really, they're hands are tied. If it wakes some people up, then it's done some good.

The campaign, though well intentioned is totally flawed IMO.

1. One size fits all measurements, be they "perfect weight" for age/sex/height, BMI or now waist size are bad ideas IMO.

2. I know young girls around 10-12 years of age who have body image issues and hang ups about their weight, some of which would have 30/31 inch waists. No doubt that they are heavy for their age and height. But I don't think it is a big stretch to think that some of these could be put on the path of disordered eating through this type of campaign.

3. Eat like a pyramid look like a pyramid I totally agree with and that is why I believe that this campaign is flawed.

I read somewhere the the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome each time.

The food pyramid as it is today has been shown to be pretty much wrong for that vast majority of folks. The USA promote the food pyramid and a large % of the population are over weight/obese. The UK promote the food pyramid and again a large % of the population are over weight/obese. Ireland promote the food pyramid.... Does anyone see a pattern forming here? Yet here we have Safe Food, telling folks that they might be over weight if their waist measures over a certain number of inches, yet if you go to their site looking for advice as to how you might help yourself, what do you get? The food pyramid and PHd qualified nutritionists espousing the same tired old, though disproven mantra that saturated fats are the enemy.

This is the same crap that has helped get folks to the point they are at now if waist measurements are not within the WHO guidelines.

It was from the 70's onwards that our food chain became a casualty to profit. Out of favor went lard, dripping, butter, fat on meats etc and in came all manner of man made unstable oils and fats. Out went natural sweeteners and in came all manner of man made artificial sweeteners. All this rubbish replaced natural ingredients to make processed foods cheaper to manufacture. Granted the consumer gained a little in their pockets, but the real benefactors were the food producers. And in my opinion this has just gotten worse and worse as time has gone by.

Add to that the lifestyle of today. When I was growing up my mum was at home all the time. meals were cooked from scratch and when we were all old enough we helped prepare the meals. This was how I learned to cook. My mum passed away when I was 14 and there were 3 younger than me, but I could cook, so at least we didn't starve and we still ate healthy foods.

Today usually both parents have to work to afford the mortgage and possibly have long commutes to boot. They have been brainwashed into thinking that it takes ages to cook healthy foods. So they come home and order take out. This will be delivered ready to eat to their door in 30-40 minutes. I can easily prepare/cook a healthy well balanced meal inside 30 minutes consisting of protein, helathy fats and some complex (though not derived from starch) carbs.

I was shopping earlier and I was in a Tesco and A Dunnes supermarket. Both of these places are huge big stores. 1000's of square feet, and I would imagine that around 15% of the stores if even are given to real foods, leaving 85% of the stores stocked with processed rubbish.

I regularly see promotions/tastings in store for burgers, pizzas, sweets etc. I have NEVER seen an in store promotion for anything I would consider to be healthy real foods. And I always find it funny they way the people giving out the samples look at you when you decline their offering and say you don't eat that :)

So if any group wants to get the message about weight management out to the masses, then IMO an arbitrary waist measurement, promotion of the flawed food pyramid and the Sat Fats are evil mantra is not the way to do it and is a total waste of money and resources that IMO could be put to better use.

The campaign, though well intentioned is totally flawed IMO.

1. One size fits all measurements, be they "perfect weight" for age/sex/height, BMI or now waist size are bad ideas IMO.

2. I know young girls around 10-12 years of age who have body image issues and hang ups about their weight, some of which would have 30/31 inch waists. No doubt that they are heavy for their age and height. But I don't think it is a big stretch to think that some of these could be put on the path of disordered eating through this type of campaign.

3. Eat like a pyramid look like a pyramid I totally agree with and that is why I believe that this campaign is flawed.

I read somewhere the the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome each time.

And I have said already it is far far far without its problems.

I never said the one size fits all, in fact you know i know that. We can talk and argue til our ears bleed about the flaw of BMI, waist measurement etc etc etc etc, but at the end of the day when you are simplifying it for 97% of the gen pop who do not train in a gym and have excess fat, and for a gen pop who dont read up or may not understand anything health and fitness related except going for a walk and eating tinned tuna and salad as a new diet and dont want to go off and read, something needs to be spelled out to them to go get them off and learning. There needs to be a wake up call.

You, I, and many others here know that the science is not going to change to the gen public for another while. The government and national agencies are still going to be spouting the same out of date nutritional recommendations for years more. So I think it is far more constructive to work with the limitations we have which are far from ideal. Safefoods PHD dietitians do not even seem to be up to scratch so do you really think that they will come out endorsing full fat cream and butter etc? No, we both know they wont, and they're hands will be tied in that respect sadly.

I have too many issues with their food recommendations that i think we all agree on. In short, old fashioned, out of date research. And that scares me.

I do take your point on the teenage girls though and agree to a large extent. The point I was trying to make was with an earlier post saying a campaign like this could lead to a generation of EDs. Far from in reality. If we could only create something to suit everyone, alas ..

Anyway, il only be reading this thread from here on in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I also think a major problem in our society is that eating healthy is often seen as 'boring'' and is almost a chore to most people.

People don't realise how delicious healthy food can be and are ignorant to the various ways vegetables and spices can be implemented into meals.

A campaign which informs people of healthy recipes and drills into their heads that healthy eating is NOT boring could be a massive help.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭fluky1

Well I got a shock this week as I had to have three fillings. I have been eating a lot of sweet things. Since then I am trying to eat more fruit and cut down on the chocolate. It was funny as the dental assistant said I'll be good for a number of weeks and then I'll slip back to my old habits. Yes there is more choice today and the wrong food is given more promience in the Supermarket. Why don't you get a competition going in asking the children what they should eat to lead a more healthy life. Set up walking groups in the different towns and cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

Hanley wrote: »
    *grabs popcorn (low fat, non-salted variety of course)

This thread is going to get interesting… There’s a lot of members here who probably think that BMI/measurements don’t apply to them because it doesn’t take account of muscle mass, or because they’re not “average”, but the simple fact of the matter is that for the majority of the population, BMI and waist measurement is a good indicator.

I applaud the guys in charge of the campaign for giving people an easy to use metric against which to asses themselves.

For the record, I've gone from a waist > 41 inches in mid 2009, to 32.5 inches in 2011.

so if im 6,3 and 17 stone (muscle) is a 37inch waist ok ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

@ Metamorphsis

Apologies if my post came across as an attack on you or as if I was trying to put words in your mouth, as that was not my intention. I did not mean to insinuate that you thought that a one size fits all with regards to health was a good thing. I am fully aware that you know what is what in the fitness world and that unlike myself, you have qualifications related to the health and fitness industry.

It's just that your post touched on a number of topics I wanted to make a point on and so I quoted your post rather than going back through the thread and multi quoting :o

My main point though is that I don't think that this is just a campaign that is not without its flaws. I think that it is disingenuous to the population of this country to float a campaign telling them that they are/might be over weight and then provide the same tired old disproven advice which has seen an explosion in weight issues in numerous countries who promote this same outdated information. This is not helping people, and is therefore to my mind a waste of time.

What is needed is organisations that will work to promote the latest thinking with regards to what is healthy nutrition. Hands are only tied if they are allowed to be tied.

We need to force the governments and health/food authorities to grow a pair and admit that their beloved food pyramid is a croc. Otherwise this type of campaign, although well intentioned is just paying lip service and is a waste of money and resources.

If you are not willing to be part of the solution, then at least try not to be part of the problem.

Imagine being told, your hand is burned because you put it in the fire, but when you ask what you should do to make it better, you are told to put it back in the fire.

The point I was trying to make was with an earlier post saying a campaign like this could lead to a generation of EDs. Far from in reality. If we could only create something to suit everyone, alas ..

Anyway, il only be reading this thread from here on in.

The point I was trying to make and it appears that everyone thinks I'm an idiot for saying it, but I'll say it again

This is a GOVERNMENT AGENCY stating "if you're waist is over 32 inches for a female YOU ARE OVERWEIGHT"

Regardless of height, fitness level, activity levels, food being eaten, genetic predispositions etc etc this campaign is stating in black & white any female with a waist over 32 inches is FAT

And that is WRONG
    And that is DANGEROUS

Its fine for us, most of whom are aged over 20 years old and have a bit of common sense
    But this site is available to everyone and all you need is a gang of 13-15 year old girls who have zero self confidence and are already experiencing body issues because of puberty to look at this site and say "oh god I'm fat I need to lose weight pronto" and voila you have an epidemic

Saying that this is "far from reality" is ridiculous

As someone who was once a teenage girl i know the amount of ridiculous pressure teenage females are under to conform to a standard
    Real women are not like that but this website is only encouraging girls to view themselves as fat or overweight when the reality may be totally different

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

cc87 wrote: »
    If it was easy, it wouldnt be a problem.

In general its small changes you barely think about that lead to weight creeping up like that. Using lifts and escalators instead of stairs, driving instead of walking 5 minutes to the shop, using dishwashers and dryers instead of washing dishes and hanging out clothes, etc. Loads of small reductions in your activity leading to one big one.

Also, not eating anything since 8 last night doesnt mean anything really. I could only eat twice in a day yet still consume over 3000 calories easily. You have to look at your overall day and week.

It could be that or it could be that simply women after pregnancies or in menopause moment will grow bigger. I doubt a mother of 3 doesn't have enough "small everyday exercise" in things that you talk about (chores, having a kid on your lap, ironing, running round the house and the town), and I doubt that if she was on a diet of Mc Donalds and chocolate cake lunch and dinner she would have brought you the example of her typical day... let's get real and do not mortify people when they tell you their personal experience, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

It could be that or it could be that simply women after pregnancies or in menopause moment will grow bigger. I doubt a mother of 3 doesn't have enough "small everyday exercise" in things that you talk about (chores, having a kid on your lap, ironing, running round the house and the town), and I doubt that if she was on a diet of Mc Donalds and chocolate cake lunch and dinner she would have brought you the example of her typical day... let's get real and do not mortify people when they tell you their personal experience, maybe?

Dont go putting words in my mouth. I never said anything about her not doing chores or having a bad diet.

I was simply saying that there is a good chance many things she used to do herself have being replaced by machines which has reduced the overall daily energy expenditure.

How about you get real and stop dealing in worst case scenarios and extreme consequences and use a bit of common sense instead?

• Advertisement

OK guys, this is a feedback thread, lets leave the OTT posts and arguing for PMs.

I think it is also important to throw out that as we age, we need to eat less, but very few actually adjust what they eat to account for it. I know one or two people that say they ea the xact same the last decade, but your basic metabolic needs ae less at 40 than 30.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement