Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer Festival RDS 23-25 September

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Elrollo wrote: »
    Don't forget the free glass :D
    Also who's playing at it? Didn't hear much about comedians at it? Colour me even more intrigued!

Friday 23rd
    7:00 The Barley Mob
    8:20 Seven Days
    9:30 Joe Rooney
    11:00 Jerry Fish & The Mudbug Club

Saturday 24th
    1:30 Paul The Magician
    2:30 Arrow In The Sky
    3:15 Paul The Magician
    4:25 The Beer Cats
    6:00 Alan Gernon Presents
    Dig The New Brew
    7:40 The Making
    9:00 Pat McDonnell
    10:45 Oona & The Pavement Kings

Sunday 25th
    1:30 Martin The Magician
    2:15 Shannon
    3:15 Martin The Magician
    4:15 Relax The 80’s Band
    6:00 Paul Creane and The Changing Band

As I've said, no real world beaters (no offence intended) but it should create a bit of an atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Elrollo wrote: »
    Also who's playing at it? Didn't hear much about comedians at it? Colour me even more intrigued!

Entertainment line up as per the website:

http://beerfest.users34.interdns.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/BeerFest-Entertainment.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Was there today from 2pm - 6pm. Pretty much the first man in the door. Really enjoyed it and had plenty of time to chat to the brewers. There's about 20 stands in total between the brewers, Cooley Distillery and a Cheese stand. It was empty when I was there (press hour) but still a really nice atmosphere.

I found most of the brewers had no glasses, plastic or otherwise so you need to use the glass you get when you come in. I like to rinse my glass between beers and there is two rinsing stations almost burried behind stalls and I would imagine these hard / impossible to discover when it's busy.

Got to chat to most of the brewers, really nice and dedicated lads. Would gladly spend the whole weekend there if I could!

Downfall: I understand it's an 'Irish' gig and they want to seperate themselves from the likes of Lughnasa but I felt it would be such a better gig if the speciality beer importers and distributors were alowed exhibit also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Got there about 6:30pm. All good guys to talk to but will get back later with my results.

White Gypsy
    Mustang Pale ale: very similar or in the lines of Sierra Nevada. Nice and hoppy very drinkable.

Emerald IPA : More of a traditional pale ale and still hoppy enough. Very drinkable indeed.

Whitewater Brewery
    Belfast Black: A lovely creamy stout very smooth maybe a hint of shocolate sweetness too in there.
    Copperhead : First time having it on draught and just as good as the bottle version and really a great tasting beer with a lovely citrus taste but hoppy also. Really good.
    Clothworthy Dobbin (Whiskey cask): wow just wow.Did not know what to expect here but the whiskey did not over power the beer but it changed the taste alright. I think it was 1 of the best beers on the night I have to admit.

Metalman
    Windjammer (cask): Lovely bitter hoppy taste but also a nice sweetness nothing too strong. Really liked this.

Breweyed
    Festival beer Amber ale with vanilla: Asked for just a sample taste as didnt know what to expect and expecting a sweet "girly" beer.
    Soon realised I was very wrong and asked for a 1/2 and was amazed by this beer. This was the other stand out beer on the night. I even went back for another before leaving to make sure I was not just mistaken on liking a beer with a hint of vanilla.
    Very stong smell of vanilla before tasting but once you taste it its not too strong or overpowering.

Overall had a great night and excellent talking to all the brewers who talked openly and frank about their beers.

We are very lucky now to have so many up and coming breweries in Ireland and long may it continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ciaran what' the lay out like, are you just wandering around with a glass going around to different stalls or is there big tables like a beer fest.
    Heading there today, not sure what way to attack it or even what time to go.

Layout is quite good. Some small tables fit maybe 5-6 people. Lot of benches too.

Brewers are lined up on both side of the hall. I noticed most people start on the left nearest the entrance so we went to the right side and made our way around.

Cool, Mrs Monkey thinks it's a bit early yet to head down, I'll have her spirit broke by lunchtime hopefully, what's the food like?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Cool, Mrs Monkey thinks it's a bit early yet to head down, I'll have her spirit broke by lunchtime hopefully, what's the food like?:)
    Nice selection of cheeses, but that's it (inside the hall). Gourmet Burger Company outside. That's all I saw anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I agree with you Ciaran, the Brew-eyed amber ale with vanilla was one of my highlights too. Incredible aftertaste. Missed out on their double IPA, unfortunately. O'Hara's Leann Folláin from the cask was (as always) wonderful. Galway Hooker Dark Wheat was a really interesting beer (only managed a taste though). Metalman Alternator - Wonderful belgian style beer - crisp with a hint of spices and Metalman from the cask was just fab. A few other beers, but these were certainly my favourites.

Normally a pint drinker, but loved drinking the halfs (from the pint glass). Holding onto your own pint glass worked out great too. Generally the brewers will give you around 33cls, so €2.50 works out great value for money.

A great festival, but a few suggestions: Smaller hall with more tables (Octoberfest bench style would be good). More food stalls inside the hall. Ditch the live music, or greatly improve the acoustics. Would much prefer to have listened to the brewers talking about their beers, how they got into the brewing business etc. All very fixable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

I had a great night last night there was something for everyone . highpoints for me was Rte metalman windjammer cask and whit gypsy smoked stout. The vinilla beer was nice for a change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Had a great night last night, half's is definately the way to go, there actually quite generous with the halfs aswell!!

Breweyed's Amber Ale with Vanilla is the highlight so far for me. Didnt know what to expect but its just delish. Really nice hint of vanilla in the aroma and its there again when you swallow. But its not overpowing at all, actually quite subtle. Its a great beer.

Roll on day two!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

Was at it last night working away couldnt try anything so got a pass for today so goign back to try a few of the beers cheers for the advice lads also any stouts that are neer enough to guinness or beamish/ murphys not really an ale or bitter drinker but will try out some of the ales the amber ale sounds nice cant wait to try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭tomhalloween

Can you pay entrance fee on the door?

Can you pay entrance fee on the door?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

villains77 wrote: »
    any stouts that are neer enough to guinness or beamish/ murphys not really an ale or bitter drinker but will try out some of the ales the amber ale sounds nice cant wait to try it out.

Whitewater's Belfast Black, Trouble brewing's Dark Arts, Porterhouse Plain + Oyster stouts, O'haras Stout... all of those would be similar enough to Guinness... only miles better!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'm heading there in the next half hour. My God, I'm really excited about this! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Is it possible to buy bottles at this to take home, or is it all draught only?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

White gypsy emerald is delicious. Only Irish grown hops apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

KJ wrote: »
    White gypsy emerald is delicious. Only Irish grown hops apparently
    mustang is even better, much hoppier yummmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭LaBaguette

Is there any point going there tonight around 6, or will they be closing down ? That's about the only free time I have this weekend..

The beers were good but sorry I only discovered the Slane Castle Whiskey Mojitos at the very end, beautiful, really nice whiskey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

LaBaguette wrote: »
    Is there any point going there tonight around 6, or will they be closing down ? That's about the only free time I have this weekend..

They say their open til 10 tonite

Bambi wrote: »

Yes, some of the places have bottles there that you can bring home.
    I took home a six-pack of 8 Degrees red.
    Whitewater have gift packs of three bottles to take home too.

I'll lash up a list of the beers I tried later on. Great evening and a really nice atmosphere in the place.

Heroditas wrote: »
    Bambi wrote: »

Yes, some of the places have bottles there that you can bring home.
    I took home a six-pack of 8 Degrees red.
    Whitewater have gift packs of three bottles to take home too.

I'll lash up a list of the beers I tried later on. Great evening and a really nice atmosphere in the place.
    Suberb...gonna head in later so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I enjoyed the festival loads yesterday. The setup was excellent. White gypsy was the standout for me. I tried the emerald, mustang and Belgian blond. I was told that they will be bottling in the very near future which is great news. I also had some rebel red as I love it, windjammer cask and the breweyed vanilla beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Went yesterday and had a great time. Excellent setup and the weather helped too, lots of people outside enjoying the beer and sun.

I only went for beers I hadn't tried before, so that ruled out a few. Tried some fantastic beers. Metalman's Alternator, Dungarvan's Challenger, O'Hara's Smoked Ale,Galway Hooker Dark Wheat, but Beer of the festival for me was definitely the Vanilla Amber Ale from Breweyed. Fantastic beer. Lovely strong smell of vanilla but it's not overpowering once you drink it. The vanilla flavour really compliments the sweetness of the malts, but I think the initial smell/taste of vanilla makes you think that the it'll be sweeter than it actually is, but it's just beautifully balanced.
    Got talking to the headbrewer Andy for a while, who was sound, and he was quite surprised at how successful it was. I was pestering him to make sure he makes it a regular brew. :D

The music was great too, and there was a really chilled vibe to the place, so well done to the organisers. Hopefully it becomes a regular thing.

BaZmO* wrote: »

I only went for beers I hadn't tried before, so that ruled out a few. Tried some fantastic beers. Metalman's Alternator, Dungarvan's Challenger, O'Hara's Smoked Ale,Galway Hooker Dark Wheat, but Beer of the festival for me was definitely the Vanilla Amber Ale from Breweyed. Fantastic beer. Lovely strong smell of vanilla but it's not overpowering once you drink it. The vanilla flavour really compliments the sweetness of the malts, but I think the initial smell/taste of vanilla makes you think that the it'll be sweeter than it actually is, but it's just beautifully balanced.
    Got talking to the headbrewer Andy for a while, who was sound, and he was quite surprised at how successful it was. I was pestering him to make sure he makes it a regular brew. :D

The music was great too, and there was a really chilled vibe to the place, so well done to the organisers. Hopefully it becomes a regular thing.

Like yourself, I tried to only try beers from breweries I hadn't sampled before and then moved onto beers from other breweries I'd sampled.
    I tried:
    1. Dungarvan Black Rock Stout
    2. Metalman Windjammer Ale
    3. Trouble Brewing Ór Golden Ale
    4. Whitewater Brewery Clotworthy Dobbin
    5. Galway Hooker IPA
    6. Brew Eyed Festival Ale
    7. Eight Degrees Sunburnt Irish Red
    8. White Gypsy Raven Stout
    9. West Kerry Brewery English Style Dark Red

The last one was my least favourite but loved the Eight Degrees stuff so much I brought home a six pack of it!
    The Dungarvan stout was amazing, really liked it.
    The girls on the Galway Hooker stand were great craic... they were laughing that they were drinking all the profits. I think they were pished by 6pm! :D

I didn't think much of the Brew Eyed festival ale - it was ok as a half pint but the taste of vanilla was a bit much and I wouldn't drink more than a pint of it. However, it was fantastic that they brewed a beer specially for the event. Great to see!
    The White Gypsy stand was really busy. I wonder if that's because their beers were the strongest. Still, they were very nice and I can't wait to buy them in bottles.

Also, nice to see the cheese stand. They did a very brisk trade. €5 for a nice plate of cheese and some brown bread. Really hit the spot.

Well done to the organizers. It was a thoroughly enjoyable event and I really hope they have it again next year.
    Nice atmosphere and the venue was just right. Lovely crowd and zero trouble!

I'd thoroughly recommend it. :)

Fair play to whoever organised this but a few signposts wouldnt have gone amiss, I was'nt the only person wandering around the RDS like a spare. Also, if you're gonna have a covers band just get a DJ instead..its less depressing :)

It was nice to see the older generations out at this, I thought it would be only beardy thirty somethings. Beerwise I wish I had gone on the saturday as well because there was no way I could try everything I wanted to and stay half sober, I was actually pouring beer out to try sample as much as possible

Highlights :
    the clotworthy dobbin stuff, mighty altogether
    dark arts porter

• Advertisement

Few more to add to my list !

O'Hara's
    Smoked Ale No. 1 : I have tasted 2 smoked beers before this and didnt really get it to be honest. Was going to go with the IPA but after discussing my fear of smoked beers I was persuaded to at least sample it before making a call.
    Delighted I did as I ended up with a half. It was no where near as strong as others I had before but still could tell I was drinking a smoked ale.

Dungarvan
    Challenger ; Lovely bitter beer nice and malty and very drinkable , good session beer I'd say.

Tempted
    Medium Dry I dont like ciders and I told the guys so they pointed me towards this as the easier one to drink.
    It was drinkable and not as sweet as others I have tasted. Not sure I could drink pints of it still to be honest but the guys were excellent and really nice to talk to. The other half loved their Strawberry Cider and she had half.

Franciscan Well
    Barrel Head Pale Ale : Lovely hoppy beer in the Sierra Neva mould again similar to the Mustang but less bite. Really liked it so next time I am in Cork I will pop in for some.

Advertisement