Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer Festival RDS 23-25 September

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

It's a fan page - they need at least 25 'likes' before a name will work as opposed to a code.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

ciaran76 wrote: »
    BeerNut the link you provided didnt work for me for some reason.

I used this and it worked for me...

http://www.facebook.com/login/setashome.php?ref=home#!/pages/All-Ireland-Craft-Beerfest/247346688611748
    Thanks Ciaran. Wise you are in the ways of Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 saefraigh

George79 wrote: »
    Wow. Typical "utd" fan. Moaney-hole know-it-all.

If it's such a rip off, don't go! I'm sure we'll all enjoy ourselves without you.

Well said.

If you are on a budget, manage it so you can at least enjoy the fact that having all you favourite IRISH beers in one room is something to be thankful for, and maybe only visit for a few hours.

Ask the barman who sells you Hooker for €4.20, how do they make this wonderfful beer, what malts are used, what hops go into the whirlpool etc. This is the reason for these events, Meet the Brewer. That's what we pay for.

I've helpled at some Irish Beer Festivals and if there's one thing that lets them down, it's the Guy who complains about the slight increase in regular price, without realising costs or other factors.

Stay away and let us real beer enthusiasts enjoy what were paying for. I personally find it very satisfying to support Irish products & Irish jobs.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

saefraigh wrote: »
    Stay away and let us real beer enthusiasts enjoy what were paying for. I personally find it very satisfying to support Irish products & Irish jobs.:)

no problem saefraigh, the attitudes I'm getting on this thread are putting me off more than the prices ;)

enjoy it, you can have it to yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 7 George79

Unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Really looking forward to this!!!!!!
    Booking that weekend off work!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 saefraigh

subway wrote: »
    no problem saefraigh, the attitudes I'm getting on this thread are putting me off more than the prices ;)

enjoy it, you can have it to yourself

As you can see I don't post very often, but Irish Craft Beer is something I feel passionate about, for sake of introducing quality products to us consumers, and the role the Craft Beer industry plays in the Irish economy. I sometimes feel that people don't see the opportunity that we, as the public, have to go out and support something important without it being too much hassle. And we get the chance to comment directly to brewers, and have an influence on the products produced down the line.

Don't take my comments personally, I'm only guilty of giving a s**t about something that's important to all of us beer lovers, and I believe we sahould all stand up and support this.

PS I have no affiliation with any Craft Beer producers except as a loyal customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

BeerNut wrote: »
    Advance tickets now on sale.

theres a €1.90 ticketmaster charge on each ticket there. They should have gone with tickets.ie

I expect it would not sell out and you could pay at the door.

rubadub wrote: »
    They should have gone with tickets.ie
    Hooray for backseat management!
    I expect it would not sell out and you could pay at the door.
    They will have tickets on the door and there'll hopefully be some on sale at the bar in beer-friendly pubs as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Aaaarrrggghh ticketmaster!!!:mad:

Think I'll keep an eye in beer friendly pubs instead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

are the weekend passes available yet?

I've emailed the volunteer, so won't be buying a ticket until I hear back from them about that.

Des wrote: »
    are the weekend passes available yet?
    they're on Ticketmaster, but the tickets themselves aren't printed yet so there's no other way to get hold of them at the moment.

I'm balking at the ticketmaster charges too, christ a 20% mark-up on tickets is a disgrace tbh. Think I'll wait to find out which pubs are selling them and go there for a ticket and a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

I'm balking at the ticketmaster charges too, christ a 20% mark-up on tickets is a disgrace tbh. Think I'll wait to find out which pubs are selling them and go there for a ticket and a pint.

According to their facebook people, tickets will be in the Bull and Castle among others in the next week or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Hooray for backseat management!
    its hardly backseat management!!! Like des said near 20% on the ticket value!
    WE the customers at this festival are subject to this charge and are right to share our views on a thread about the festival!

adamski8 wrote: »
    its hardly backseat management!
    Suggesting decisions the organisers could have taken but didn't is precisely backseat management. It achieves nothing, even less for being posted to a messageboard rather than the organisers.
    adamski8 wrote: »
    WE the customers at this festival are subject to this charge
    Not if you buy your tickets on the door or at another outlet.

Seriously BeerNut, if people want to criticise something, they can. Now, fair enough, this is a great idea for a festival, and should be a fantastic experience for everyone who attends, there is nobody disputing that, but to try and shout people down for having the temerity to criticise one aspect of the organisation of it looks like propaganda peddling.

The decision to go with Ticketmaster, who are implementing a 20% (or 7.5%) mark-up on the ticket prices, is something that people are going to complain about, and it can't, or shouldn't, be stopped.

Maybe the organisers will read this thread (a number of companies, big and small have taken the opportunity to engage with Boards.ie users) and have a re-think next year, but they are hardly going to change their minds now, and the people commenting had no idea there were plans for the festival or who was organising it, so had no opportunity to voice their concerns before now.

Look, it's a small thing that people are commenting on, and as you say, the tickets can be got for face value, without the rip-off service charge, from other sellers, and I urge everyone to purchase their tickets from those places. I will be, and I'll go to the Bull & Castle and use my saved two quid to part fund my purchase of a pint of Irish Craft Beer while I'm at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

Really looking forward to this!

I do hope they are giving shot-glass sized tasters for free, as I'd like to taste pretty much everything, and buy glasses of ones I know I'll enjoy. maybe it would be worth even bringing a shotglass with and asking very nicely?!

might volunteer for the fun of it, and because it could be a good way to learn more about it. are there any perks?! for example if you volunteer one day, you get free entry the next?

Anyone know if there are other similar events happening with international breweries as well as Irish?

Anyone know if there are other similar events happening with international breweries as well as Irish?
    Off topic (sorry mods), but you want this. Or for UK & Irish beer only, this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I do hope they are giving shot-glass sized tasters for free, as I'd like to taste pretty much everything, and buy glasses of ones I know I'll enjoy.

As I'm sure I mentioned further up the thread, all breweries will be willing to give a free taster and chat about the beer before you commit to buy anything. This is common practice in most beer festivals as it's all about getting people to try beers they may not have had before.

Suggesting decisions the organisers could have taken but didn't is precisely backseat management.
    I was just warning people there would be an extra charge, and it would be on each ticket. The tickets.ie comment was also to make people aware of the company tickets.ie, I thought somebody might say the beer-fest will be on sale there too, so hold out. Tickets are often on sale in both outlets and in the past I have heard mates who went and paid massive service charges when it could have been avoided on tickets.ie

Tickets.ie is Irish owned as far as I know. They offer the exact same service as ticketmaster but there is no fee if you collect at the box office, if you do choose to get tickets sent out it is €1 postage, regardless of the amounts of tickets you get. They do not do venues like the O2, but RDS and small shows are what they normally will do.

http://www.tickets.ie/B2B.aspx/AboutUs
    # Large exhibitions and events such as Toys 4 Big Boys, Santa Park, Wedding & Honeymoon Show, Irish Motorbike & Scooter Show, The Rugby Show Live, Miss Ireland and others.
    # Venues including RDS, Vicar Street, Savoy Theatre, Tripod, Button Factory, Whelan’s, National Museum, Royal Hospital Kilmainham, Morrison Hotel and dozens of other locations.

It achieves nothing, even less for being posted to a messageboard rather than the organisers.
    If they use google they probably have seen this thread by now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I hear Gerry Fish & The Mudbug Club and Sharon Shannon are booked to play at the event.

I was just warning people there would be an extra charge, and it would be on each ticket. The tickets.ie comment was also to make people aware of the company tickets.ie, I thought somebody might say the beer-fest will be on sale there too, so hold out. Tickets are often on sale in both outlets and in the past I have heard mates who went and paid massive service charges when it could have been avoided on tickets.ie

Tickets.ie is Irish owned as far as I know. They offer the exact same service as ticketmaster but there is no fee if you collect at the box office, if you do choose to get tickets sent out it is €1 postage, regardless of the amounts of tickets you get. They do not do venues like the O2, but RDS and small shows are what they normally will do.

tickets.ie do charge a handling fee of €2 per ticket. This is not paid for by the person booking the ticket diectly, but by the promoter, which more often than not, passes it on to the customer in hiked ticket prices.

There is no cheap option for ticketing in this country unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I hear Gerry Fish & The Mudbug Club and Sharon Shannon are booked to play at the event.

That would more than justify the €10 entry fee.

tickets.ie do charge a handling fee of €2 per ticket. This is not paid for by the person booking the ticket diectly, but by the promoter, which more often than not, passes it on to the customer in hiked ticket prices.
    I think everybody understood what I was saying. But if we're going to be pedantic about it, then you are wrong, they do not charge a handling fee, its the booking fee you cannot avoid.

http://www.tickets.ie/B2B.aspx/AboutUs
    See the key benefits of working with Tickets.ie...

* Lowest booking fees in the market.
    Higher revenue per ticket back to you than with our competitors.
    * No service or handling charges.

There is no cheap option for ticketing in this country unfortunately.
    You can pay varying prices for the exact same ticket, so I would call the lower priced ones the "cheap option". If you pay by cash or laser at ticketmaster kiosks then you also avoid additional fees that you would have to pay online with TM or in the likes of HMV or soundcellar. With tickets.ie you do not pay the same price as in hmv or soundcellar, they only extra is the optional postage fee of €1, which is a one off charge, not per ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I think everybody understood what I was saying. But if we're going to be pedantic about it, then you are wrong, they do not charge a handling fee, its the booking fee you cannot avoid.
    Maybe we should return to the subject of the beer festival, and move discussions concerning ticket merchants to the consumer issues forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Fridays Entertainment line up announced via there Facebook page...

Entertainment line-up for Friday evening at All-Ireland Craft BeerFest - just announced. Friday 23rd Schedule:
    4.00pm - Festival Opening
    6:30pm - The Barley Mob
    7:45pm - Seven Days
    9:00pm - Joe Rooney
    10:20pm - Jerry Fish & The Mudbug Club

Great to see a nice mix between the music acts and comedy (i.e Joe Rooney (Fr. Damo), I assume hes gona do some stand up!!).

That 10 euro has to be justified now at least!!! :)

Is The Barley Mob a Jamaican Craft Brewers band?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Is The Barley Mob a Jamaican Craft Brewers band?
    Well ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement