Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer Festival RDS 23-25 September

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Playoff_Beard

After enjoying hooker, O'Hara's and especially Trouble Or, I'm definitely interested to see what else is out there in the Irish brewing world.
    Having said that, is this an enjoyable atmosphere to consume delicious beer? Is there big German style long tables or are you just mostly standing around walking from stand to stand? cus that doesn't sound like too much fun
    Don't know why I'm not more excited about this... maybe it's the website!... and do they really think people will volunteer for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Playoff_Beard

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Molson Coors

huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

huh?

Dunno if they will be there as they're not an Irish company but they supply Blue Moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

adamski8 wrote: »
    then why would they go to a big hall with no seats when they could go down the local for cheaper.
    True, people are only going to be able to drink a limit anyway, so if you want to get your mates to try out new beers you might be better off going to a pub with a decent selection.
    Of course it's about creating awareness but nobody is there to break even either - although some may not.
    Due to my job I have gone to quite a few catering/food/hospitality exhibitions, most are certainly not there to make profits (on the day), they treat it as advertising expense. There is nearly always one or 2 breweries at them and I have never been charged for a pint, usually you would only get a half pint at most. There would often be a heineken stand possibly with full free pints, but there are small breweries too.

I think this might be a licencing issue, no issue giving out free beers but need a licence to sell. Even still I know our company spends a lot on the stuff we hand out, let along the stand costs, and if we were to charge what a cafe would we would be pulling in thousands per day, but it is not what these shows are usually about.

I would hope they are giving out small samples if asked, you cannot expect pint after pint of free beer, should be reduced a bit. I personally do not see the attraction of paying €10 to stand about paying more than I would in a nice pub with a good selection. I have never had to pay into any of the catering shows either, and leave the places stuffed, and they make sure it is all top notch quality to showcase their products. Hope its not plastic glasses at those prices!

If I owned a brewery here I think my money would be better spent with promotions in actual pubs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

rubadub wrote: »
    If I owned a brewery here I think my money would be better spent with promotions in actual pubs.
    A lot of this is about promotions to actual pubs, I'd say. The promotions in pubs comes afterwards.

• Advertisement

Due to my job I have gone to quite a few catering/food/hospitality exhibitions, most are certainly not there to make profits (on the day), they treat it as advertising expense. There is nearly always one or 2 breweries at them and I have never been charged for a pint, usually you would only get a half pint at most. There would often be a heineken stand possibly with full free pints, but there are small breweries too.

You're talking about the likes of Catex / Hospitality Expo? Different story altogether and many of the companies have massive marketing budgets while most craft breweries here are 2/3 man show operations that do everything from the brewing, to delivering themselves. Even at the likes of Catex you can't exactly roll up to a particular stand and eat and drink to your hearts content for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You're talking about the likes of Catex / Hospitality Expo? Different story altogether and many of the companies have massive marketing budgets while most craft breweries here are 2/3 man show operations that do everything from the brewing, to delivering themselves. Even at the likes of Catex you can't exactly roll up to a particular stand and eat and drink to your hearts content for the day.

You can walk up to most stands and get stuff for free at Catex & Shop. I used to be the one giving away everything from a Cup of Coffee right through to a Pizza a few years back. I would even get Cigarettes from the John Player stand as a trade for 4 days of Coffee and Sandwhichs. I visited Italy and although they are a little standofish with free stuff you still get it. In Vegas they chase you around the place throwing stuff at you(slight exaggeration) :D

I would nearly expect that at this event that there would be trays of small tasters of their beer/cider products and a crowd around whilst they taste and hear about the beer they have in their mouths.

If you want a pint then €5 will do you fine. Nearly all events are the same. The fact its open till very late you have to expect that it is planned to become a late night drinking session.

I'm still between thoughts on whether or not it should be 100% Irish Craft Breweries or be suppliers, brewers and importers of all Premium products that are sold within this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

God knows what the price of a burger or hot dog is gonna cost at this event.

I've now decided as a beer enthusiast I won't be going to this event.

€4.20 for a pint of Galway Hooker in my local pub last night and no charge to get in.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    You can walk up to most stands and get stuff for free at Catex & Shop. I used to be the one giving away everything from a Cup of Coffee right through to a Pizza a few years back. I would even get Cigarettes from the John Player stand as a trade for 4 days of Coffee and Sandwhichs. I visited Italy and although they are a little standofish with free stuff you still get it. In Vegas they chase you around the place throwing stuff at you(slight exaggeration) :D

I would nearly expect that at this event that there would be trays of small tasters of their beer/cider products and a crowd around whilst they taste and hear about the beer they have in their mouths.

If you want a pint then €5 will do you fine. Nearly all events are the same. The fact its open till very late you have to expect that it is planned to become a late night drinking session.

I'm sure any of the stands would give you a small sample to decide if you like the beer before you buy but I really don't think any of these companies have the budget to be giving out free beer all weekend. Can you imagine if it was advertised like that - placed would be wedged with free-loaders!
    Beer Baron wrote: »
    I'm still between thoughts on whether or not it should be 100% Irish Craft Breweries or be suppliers, brewers and importers of all Premium products that are sold within this country.

+1

You're talking about the likes of Catex / Hospitality Expo? Different story altogether and many of the companies have massive marketing budgets while most craft breweries here are 2/3 man show.
    But there are some small craft brewers, small bakeries, butchers etc at the likes of catex, there was a nice cider from the UK one time with a full bar with loads of taps of beers I had never heard of.

My point was other companies (including small ones) are happy not to make profits at shows, and just treat it as marketing expense. It is usually the exhibitors who foot the bill for entrance. A €10 fee will put people off even going incase its half empty with no atmosphere, I don't think I could convince any of my mates to go.

Now I see this show is open until 12.30 so it is different from catex etc, but I was already saying you could not expect pint after pint free, but at least discounted/cost price ones and a few free tasters. It does make sense to have rounded prices at things like this, less messing about with change, but I think if they had gone €4 for pints and €2 for halfpints it would attracted a lot more people. There are plenty of promos in dublin these days, I saw about 100+ people queining outside diceys last week for €2 drinks.

• Advertisement

But there are some small craft brewers, small bakeries, butchers etc at the likes of catex, there was a nice cider from the UK one time with a full bar with loads of taps of beers I had never heard of.

My point was other companies (including small ones) are happy not to make profits at shows, and just treat it as marketing expense. It is usually the exhibitors who foot the bill for entrance. A €10 fee will put people off even going incase its half empty with no atmosphere, I don't think I could convince any of my mates to go.

Now I see this show is open until 12.30 so it is different from catex etc, but I was already saying you could not expect pint after pint free, but at least discounted/cost price ones and a few free tasters. It does make sense to have rounded prices at things like this, less messing about with change, but I think if they had gone €4 for pints and €2 for halfpints it would attracted a lot more people. There are plenty of promos in dublin these days, I saw about 100+ people queining outside diceys last week for €2 drinks.

Fair enough.

Truth is they probably will give small samples to genuinely interested enthusiasts but if they advertise same it will turn into a free-for-all with people with no real appreciation for quality beer showing up for 'free gargle'. I know when I was at Bloom and got talking to some of the exhibitors they offered me a beer foc.

In relation to the section of your post I highlighted that is exactly why I think it should be open to all craft brewers and importers / distributors of speciality beers. More attractions = more punters IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Im kinda a little surprised at the response of some people. I for one cant wait for this!
    I'm perfectly happy to pay 5 euro a pint/2.50 a glass for great quality beer and a chat with the brewers about their beers. For me, its about enjoying the great beer and supporting the breweries that keep me happy!! These guys arent minted by any means, they do this because they love it. If people are concerned about the price, get the glasses. 2.50 is good value. I'll probably be going glasses for most, but thats just so I can cover more ground!

Theres probably gona be 19 irish breweries at this, and probably with 3-4 beers per brewery... so the guts of 50 different beers to choose from.
    I'm sure there'll also be some really interesting seasonals, cask beer and some nice irish whiskey also.

I've no idea how much renting the hall/insurance/staff etc costs but I'm sure its not free.

I'm actually glad there charging at the door and encorporating a beer/glass into it, it kinda discourages some some of the pi$$heads that might go if it was free in.

Bang on!

Couldn't have said it better if I tried!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 George79

Wow. Typical "utd" fan. Moaney-hole know-it-all.

If it's such a rip off, don't go! I'm sure we'll all enjoy ourselves without you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

slayerking wrote: »
    Im kinda a little surprised at the response of some people. I for one cant wait for this!
    I'm perfectly happy to pay 5 euro a pint/2.50 a glass for great quality beer and a chat with the brewers about their beers. For me, its about enjoying the great beer and supporting the breweries that keep me happy!! These guys arent minted by any means, they do this because they love it. If people are concerned about the price, get the glasses. 2.50 is good value. I'll probably be going glasses for most, but thats just so I can cover more ground!

Theres probably gona be 19 irish breweries at this, and probably with 3-4 beers per brewery... so the guts of 50 different beers to choose from.
    I'm sure there'll also be some really interesting seasonals, cask beer and some nice irish whiskey also.

I've no idea how much renting the hall/insurance/staff etc costs but I'm sure its not free.

I'm actually glad there charging at the door and encorporating a beer/glass into it, it kinda discourages some some of the pi$$heads that might go if it was free in.

You brilliantly summed up the difference between real beer enthusiasts and those who just want to get sloshed, nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

You brilliantly summed up the difference between real beer enthusiasts and those who just want to get sloshed, nice one.

I must have read a different post to you. Where has this difference been summed up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

subway wrote: »
    I must have read a different post to you. Where has this difference been summed up?

Em, the whole thing!! But specifically the bits I underlined:

i guess thats what i thought you meant.

i just dont understand why someone who wants value for money is automatically a piss head.

to me there is more to enjoying a beer than getting to chat to the brewers about it. certainly talking to them would add to the day, but without organised talks, tastings, etc you might not get much chance to speak with them anyway. the person serving your drink may be the owner or the may be some 18 yr old volunteer who is run off their feet

to me, this is the RDS, famous for plastic cups, over priced drink, prepoured pints sitting on counters, vacuos hall with no seating or atmosphere, non interested staff. the list goes on for why its not my idea of heaven when it comes to tasting or enjoying beer.

i think, perhaps, you guys are idealising what this is? (dont jump down my neck please!)
    to me, it looks like it IS a piss up in a brewery. (music, food, late night opening) rather than an out and out beer tasting. or somewhere in between anyway.

but without organised talks, tastings, etc you might not get much chance to speak with them anyway.
    Thats a good idea, nothing much is mentioned on the website. At catex you have organised stuff going on all the time, like chef contests, cake judging etc. You might see chefs or baristas with clip on microphones talking about what they are doing in front of seated crowds of 50 or so, then samples of what they cooked. There are lectures on coffee etc.

It would be good if homebrew companies were there, with products to sell and demos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

to me, this is the RDS, famous for plastic cups, over priced drink, prepoured pints sitting on counters, vacuos hall with no seating or atmosphere, non interested staff. the list goes on for why its not my idea of heaven when it comes to tasting or enjoying beer.

i think, perhaps, you guys are idealising what this is? (dont jump down my neck please!)
    to me, it looks like it IS a piss up in a brewery. (music, food, late night opening) rather than an out and out beer tasting. or somewhere in between anyway.

Out of curiousity, have you been to any of the major irish craft beer festivals before? Or even a festival with an Irish craft beer presence (Bloom for instance)?

Bar the plastic cups, I've not experienced any of the above at the beer festivals I've been to.
    I was at this years Bloom festival, and I had a great time, it was very well organised and all the beer was served by the actual brewers and staff. And they were all more than happy to chat about their beers and whats in the pipeline from them. All were also more than happy also to give tasters to people and talk them through the beer they were tasting to help them decide on what to go for.

Granted I was also at Septemberfest a few years ago, while it was a great day, it was way over packed.
    Thats why I like the idea of 10 euro in with glass/beer included!

but without organised talks, tastings, etc you might not get much chance to speak with them anyway.

I definately agree with you that organised talks/tastings from the breweries would be a good idea also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Great British Beer Festival at the Olympia, London 2004, its just a big hall not unlike the RDS

GBBF_2.jpg

slayerking wrote: »
    Out of curiousity, have you been to any of the major irish craft beer festivals before? Or even a festival with an Irish craft beer presence (Bloom for instance)?

no, this is the first time i have heard of one.
    the comments you quoted were aimed directly at the RDS as a venue, rather than any irish craft beer festival. the context being that when i hear RDS mentioned that is what i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

I'm really looking forward to this.. Hopefully it is a good, well organised event.. Im fairly fond of my craft beers but im sure there will be plenty there i haven't tried yet.. so if the first day is good ill spend my weekend there!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

You go away for a weekend and a thread really takes off.

I won't say I have all the answers for people, but I'll give it a go.

The pricing is primarily based on €2.50 for a glass, which seems a fair price and is to encourage people to try several half pints of different beers.

The entry fee of €10 includes a free souvenir glass and a free glass of beer, which seems fair to me.

There will be bands playing throughout the day, and seating of some sort (possibly long benches and tables, but these details are still being finalised).

As with any beer festivals (Easterfest etc.) it will mostly be the brewers themselves behind the bar and they would welcome the opportunity to offer samples and chat with the punters (We don't get out much so it's a great opportunity to meet Irish craft beer drinkers)

As I said before, this is a festival for Irish beer producers, so no importers will be at this particular festival, but there will be Irish produced ciders and whiskeys.

Cormac.

noby wrote: »
    You go away for a weekend
    To an exclusive brewers' retreat, funded by €5 pints? You monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

BeerNut wrote: »
    To an exclusive brewers' retreat, funded by €5 pints? You monster.

These helicoptors don't pay for themselves, y'know.

News just in: there will be a three-day ticket available for €15.

Also, they could get with the times a bit and get on face book
    The Facebook (or so I'm told -- you need to be signed in to see it and I'm not on Facebook):
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/All-Ireland-Craft-Beerfest/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

BeerNut the link you provided didnt work for me for some reason.

I used this and it worked for me...

http://www.facebook.com/login/setashome.php?ref=home#!/pages/All-Ireland-Craft-Beerfest/247346688611748

• Advertisement

ciaran76 wrote: »
    BeerNut the link you provided didnt work for me for some reason.
    Same here, and you don't need to be on facebook to see the new link.

Advertisement