Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer Festival RDS 23-25 September

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'm really looking forward to this. The way I see it is, sure I can go to the Porterhouse, L. Mulligans, Against the Grain or the Bull & Castle and get the beers slightly cheaper (but not that much cheaper to make a huge difference) any time, but you can't get such a wide range all at the same time.
    Plus, there'll be a sense of occasion and a bit of a party atmosphere there, along with the added bonus of meeting the brewers and possibly the chance of trying some special occasion seasonal type brews.

rubadub wrote: »
    A €10 fee will put people off even going incase its half empty with no atmosphere, I don't think I could convince any of my mates to go.
    I've emailed a couple of my friends and asked them if they're up for going to it so it'll be interesting to see what their replies are. They'd be your typical Heineken drinkers and wouldn't be that bothered with trying any different beers. They're not as bad as some mates though, who wouldn't try something different even if it was free, so maybe the fact that it's on somewhere different might encourage them to head along for the day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Tickets are now on sale in L. Mulligan Grocer and the Bull and Castle. If you buy 5 you get a 6th free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Anyone know when Bruce is thinking of getting back to people who volunteered? I don't want to shell out for tickets if I'm going to be volunteering.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

Story folks!
    Very much looking forward to this :D
    Anyone know how to contact the organisers?

seanor3 wrote: »
    Anyone know how to contact the organisers?
    Addresses on the website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

BeerNut wrote: »
    Tickets are now on sale in L. Mulligan Grocer and the Bull and Castle. If you buy 5 you get a 6th free.

Went there today L.Mulligan and they had none.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Went there today L.Mulligan and they had none.

I got 2 tickets of them last night in Mulligans (at about half 8). 2 x 3 day tickets.
    Must have just got em in in the evening or something.

Also noticed that its 'beer bucks' aswell for the beers.
    €2.50 per buck... 1 buck gets you a glass, 2 for a pint.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Anyone heard back about volunteering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

irish_goat wrote: »
    Anyone heard back about volunteering?

I got one email the day I emailed them about it, about a month ago and they daid they'd get back to me in August, nothing else yet though.

Same as. I'm in the same boat too in that I don't want to buy tickets if I'm gonna be volunteering but I'll need to know soon to book off work and stuff.

• Advertisement

Picked up 2 tickets from Muilligans on Saturday night.

Looking forward to this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

In today's Evening Herald, there is a voucher for 2 for 1 entry to the festival.

Any layout plans for the hall ?

Just trying to workout what beers I need to be tasting.

Also what do people suggest to do between beers to stop flavour being lost and blinded by previous beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭LaBaguette

Whenever I'm out to taste beers, I try to drink a glass of water between beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Have a small nibble on something to eat, bit of cheese, a few peanutes, something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have been to a few market research and beer, whiskey & coffee tastings, you usually get crackers like carrs water biscuits, or plain white baguette bread or something, and water sometimes.

Thank you all.

I see Carlow Cheese and Bellingham Blue are going to be there so maybe a hop to them after each tasting will do the trick.

Also what do people suggest to do between beers to stop flavour being lost and blinded by previous beer?
    Like LaBaguette I find water generally does the trick. Besides, there probably won't be too many 12% ABV, 200 IBU palate-pounders in there.

Just trying to workout what beers I need to be tasting.

All of them? :p

irish_goat wrote: »
    All of them? :p

I could try but I have tasted a good few already.

I dont like cider so would like to try a few of these to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Elrollo

I'll take a sniff of that come friday methinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

Woohoo! I just won two weekend tickets to this from Dungarvan Brewing. Good thing I held off buying my ticket :D

Mo14 wrote: »
    Woohoo! I just won two weekend tickets to this from Dungarvan Brewing. Good thing I held off buying my ticket :D
    hahaha, lucky fella! How did ya manage that if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

They had a competition on Facebook. Just had to comment on a post and the winner was drawn at random.

Nice! Well I'll most definitely be hitting it at some point this weekend to take advantage of all of that delicious delicious beer! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ArticHare

Most of the beers listed on the site can be purchased around Dublin, but maybe the its not a full list of everything at the event? But what really puts me off is that the beer bucks system is just as expensive as going to the pub, why isn't it even a little cheaper?I don't mean to sound negative about the event, maybe I'm completely missing the point?

ArticHare wrote: »
    Most of the beers listed on the site can be purchased around Dublin, but maybe the its not a full list of everything at the event? But what really puts me off is that the beer bucks system is just as expensive as going to the pub, why isn't it even a little cheaper?I don't mean to sound negative about the event, maybe I'm completely missing the point?
    How much cheaper do you reckon it should be?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ArticHare

Don't have an answer for that :)

But I had assumed, as its essentially a promotional event that it might be a little cheaper than the beers would cost in a pub.

ArticHare wrote: »
    Don't have an answer for that :)

But I had assumed, as its essentially a promotional event that it might be a little cheaper than the beers would cost in a pub.
    A promotional event for small independents trying to battle against the big budgets of the big multi-nationals. The event also has live music and comedians, albeit not the A-list crowd pullers you'd get selling out the O2, but still some entertainment all the same. Just treat it as a sh1t gig with a most excellent beer choice. :)

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    A promotional event for small independents trying to battle against the big budgets of the big multi-nationals. The event also has live music and comedians, albeit not the A-list crowd pullers you'd get selling out the O2, but still some entertainment all the same. Just treat it as a sh1t gig with a most excellent beer choice. :)
    Don't forget the free glass :D
    Also who's playing at it? Didn't hear much about comedians at it? Colour me even more intrigued!

Advertisement