Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart - Android - €40 (+ €22.50 cashback till June 27th)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

When did you order yours captain Morgan? I need mine by tomorrow

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

biebiebie wrote: »
    Sounds like the phone itself is still locked to Voda. Either unlock the phone (read back through thread), or put in the Voda SIM you got with the phone (this will be your ported phone number)

In DC unlocker you can see if the phone is locked or unlock

if you check the screenshot below last line shows the status, have you done the

androidj.jpg

When did you order yours captain Morgan? I need mine by tomorrow

In my case I order Sunday night and arrived Tuesday, I thought they had something if you order before 3pm they post on same day and get it next day, but don't see it on the website now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Just so you know, the €50 voucher was for Perlico customers that were switching to Vodafone at Home.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭U2Flyboy

Ordered one of these and got my €22.50 on Fatcheese. Seems a nice phone as per other posts.

Has anybody got a silicone case to suit it? The hard plastic back would seem to need a bit of protection. I have screen protectors which I can cut to suit but its just the case I'd worry about in my pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

dont have the drivers for android 1.0. can any pm me with them. they arent on my fone, checked google nothing and no disc came with the fone. ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

daytob wrote: »
    dont have the drivers for android 1.0. can any pm me with them. they arent on my fone, checked google nothing and no disc came with the fone. ffs
    i cant do it either,,followed the steps on here and dc unlocker still cant find my phone,,when i go into drivers it finds it and says its unsuitable for my phone and knocks itself off again:(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

Hi,

Thanks for all the advice, the phone arrive this morning - it seems to be recognising my Bill Pay Vodafone Sim. A perfect little phone to get started on a Smart Phone. But could I tap someone for a wee bit more info.

- Connected my house wifi, but when I went onto shop & it said it does not work over wifi & to turn it off. I have a standard Sim (not signed up to "data" - not sure if you need a different SIM, so I don't want to end up with a load of fees. How can I get some apps & music? I assume I can browse free of charge in the house?

- How can I be certain I don't "accidentally" end up with data downloads (not sure if that is possible as I haven't signed up to data)

- Given that the phone deal was for PAYG, will Vodafone help me with this since I'm using a bill pay sim.

Thanks for all the help so far

Little A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭aidole

Hi is this only for new connections or can you get the cashback if you port over?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

aidole wrote: »
    Hi is this only for new connections or can you get the cashback if you port over?
    Thanks

Hi

For new connections the phone price is 59.99
    For porting over the phone price is 39.99

you will receive 20.00 cash back when choosing either connection mentioned above - but only when you follow the fatcheese link

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Little A wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks for all the advice, the phone arrive this morning - it seems to be recognising my Bill Pay Vodafone Sim. A perfect little phone to get started on a Smart Phone. But could I tap someone for a wee bit more info.

- Connected my house wifi, but when I went onto shop & it said it does not work over wifi & to turn it off. I have a standard Sim (not signed up to "data" - not sure if you need a different SIM, so I don't want to end up with a load of fees. How can I get some apps & music? I assume I can browse free of charge in the house?

- How can I be certain I don't "accidentally" end up with data downloads (not sure if that is possible as I haven't signed up to data)

- Given that the phone deal was for PAYG, will Vodafone help me with this since I'm using a bill pay sim.

Little A

Menu > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile networks > Data enabled (uncheck) and Use only 2g network (check for battery saving)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

Thanks for that - I guess I'm not quiet so dopey as that's what I had done except I didn't check the 2G as I have "sure signal" in the house & that runs off 3G.

Need to figure out how to get some nice apps !!

Will try via the PC

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Hi,

Little A

When you set up the phone it asked did you want to enable data. Select No if you don't want to connect via 3G/2G/GPRS/HSDPA or whatever mobile data is available. If you selected yes, then you can disable it by selecting Menu, Settings, Wire & Networks, Mobile Networks and ensuring Data enabled does not have the green tick beside it.

Shop doesnt work for me either on WIFI. Maybe its a vodafone thing and it needs to charge you while using Data. Someone else might know this. The Android Marketplace worked fine for me though and just played my first game of Angry Birds. Not completely fluid, but is definitely playable.

[EDIT] I must be a slow typer. I see I was not first to reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Thanks for that - I guess I'm not quiet so dopey as that's what I had done except I didn't check the 2G as I have "sure signal" in the house & that runs off 3G.

Need to figure out how to get some nice apps !!

Will try via the PC

Cheers

"Market" should work fine over wifi. Download all your apps from there. Works fine like that for me anyhow (I do all my market downloads and updates over wifi)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

Anybody who wants extra usb chargers(short cable) I bought 2 off this ebay seller based in Ireland (Irish stamp on package) the 2 cost €4.18 including delivery and delivered in 3 days. All work fine

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110697640403

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭ripcord

Thanks OP

Ported over an O2 sim, €22.50 on fatcheese waiting.. so my first Android phone only cost me €17.50!

I wonder will this trend continue as I move on to more powerful phones!! :D

Some slight niggles - The screen isn't super responsive - sometimes I press and app - the icon lights up but it doesn't start - I need to press it again.. or maybe that's just my phone acting up...

Now if I could just get used to the small keys on the keyboard!

Also - as someone else mentioned - I'd be interested in getting a protective cover and screen guard. Any ideas anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

Anyone have trouble with the tracking from Vodafone, it seems to keep going down for me, it worked this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 30,033 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

ripcord wrote: »
    Thanks OP

Ported over an O2 sim, €22.50 on fatcheese waiting.. so my first Android phone only cost me €17.50!

I wonder will this trend continue as I move on to more powerful phones!! :D

Some slight niggles - The screen isn't super responsive - sometimes I press and app - the icon lights up but it doesn't start - I need to press it again.. or maybe that's just my phone acting up...

Now if I could just get used to the small keys on the keyboard!

Also - as someone else mentioned - I'd be interested in getting a protective cover and screen guard. Any ideas anyone?

I do find it a bit unresponsive starting some apps too, almost need to double click. There are other keyboards out there, or touchpal has different modes you can use with larger keys. Swiftkey is particularly good app, you can download a trial, even does dictation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Has any one unlocked it yet thinking of geting it and unlocking it just to have a spare sim free phone.

Has any one unlocked it yet thinking of geting it and unlocking it just to have a spare sim free phone.

Yes a few of us did unlock it, instructions on earlier post but quoted below, cost is €10, not aware of free unlock option
    I got this unlocked today.

It costs €10, and is pretty easy.

Download this application

Buy 10 credits (my password got put in my spam folder on gmail BTW)

Plug the battery out of the phone.

Plug it back in (sometimes it turns on automatically, if it does just plug it out and in agian)

Power it up by holding the power button and the volume down button, keep them held down for like 20-30 seconds. The Egg timer should stay on screen

Plug it into your PC.

Follow the instructions here

Good Luck!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I used recovery manager instead . ClockworkMod didn't work for me.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I presume I did. If you can't find it drop me a PM and I can mail it to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

They are giving them out free for vodafone at home customers up to three per household. Mine is on the way.

Has anyone overclocked it, looks like you can go over 700MHz and still be stable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Just got a phone call from them they were ridiculously fast and efficient so I am thinking they have contracted this out to a call center. I assume if you ring them up they'll let you know.

• Advertisement

Advertisement