Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamsat 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭studentforever

Wells heres hoping for a good place on the curve and that a lot of people made an absolute c0ck of it. One girl cried in the hall after section II in RCSI and another during section III. I didn't cry so I'm happy from that respect.

Stephen, I already sat the bugger in September, had to tell people that I failed, I was embarrassed but screw it. Its an absolute fcuk of an exam, so if it doesn't go the way you want, congratulate yourself on even sitting it. How many people a year think about doing it and don't? So screw it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Stephan Grundy

Thanks for the reassuring thoughts, studentforever - I needed 'em!

I also heard a rumour that a couple of people had left the RCSI sitting after the verbals - just threw their hands in the air, said "Sod it, I'm screwed", and departed for the day. If it's true, I really feel bad for them...how desperately upset would you have to be to go through all the trouble and expense of studying and sitting, then not even at least chance your luck to finish it? Now that would be a truly miserable experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Bella84

The one single little good thing about this wait is the opportunity to pre-bond with our future fellow students and colleagues - through our mutual suffering, I have come to feel that I know a lot of ye, and like most of ye. Even though I won't be applying for a place until next year regardless of my score, I'm looking forward to meeting many of the people on this board in person then (if my scores this year permit - or next if necessary though, oh gods, I hope not! - AAAGH!).

Whoo, who's up for UL lads?!!! Let the bonding begin :).

I would like to place an order for only positive people who realise how lucky they are to be in any medical school for UL please. And a curry chip.

And before the UL bashers start, please shut up!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Bella84

I wouldn't worry about your choice there - I made the other one (told people) and now, of course, I'm dreading the embarassment if I have to admit to all my friends on Monday that I cocked it up. Any way you slice it...well, we'll know soon. Glad I'm in Ireland and not Australia, though.

Could not agree with you more, Stephen. I told my Dad and he has kept his mouth firmly shut.

My mother, on the other hand, seems to feel the constant need to lean close into various relatives and friends in my presence and conspirationally whisper things like "she's waiting on results, medical school, you know" finished off with a self satisfied smirk.

Half the city is waiting for my results and I HATE IT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Stephan Grundy

577559_337569636313971_204152432989026_860135_1716562559_n.jpg

Does this remind anyone of anything they've seen within the last, oh, approximately 2 months?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭GradMed

This thread is causing some unpleasant flashbacks.
    The very best of luck to all of you. The four years fly by. It's an incredible experience and you'll love it no matter where you study.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Exciting times! Best of luck to you all, and as GradMed says the time will fly by.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 marmarr

Hi guys, best of luck with the results. As a current 1st year UL GEMS student (supposed to be studying for summer exams), I found that the easiest way to ease the pre-results tension is to try to forget about it, go for a few pints, and stop sitting in front of your PC constantly re-freshing your inbox! You will drive yourself mad!
    Also, for potential UL bound students, here is a link to the UL GEMS 2016 group page: http://www.facebook.com/groups/201089616673238/
    Best of luck

What has everyone got down for their choices? I actually liked the idea of the self directed learning style of UL, but all the naysayers have put me off it. Plus I'm in Dublin and various commitments here so leaving would be a pretty difficult thing. Having said all that, if I got offered a place at UL I don't think I'd turn it down... wannabe medical whore, take anything I can get ;-) that was a joke just in case anyone is offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Biologic

Speaking of college choices; if anyone is considering RCSI and has any questions, I'd be happy to help. I love the place and wouldn't change course if you payed me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 LoveSick

Biologic wrote: »
    Speaking of college choices; if anyone is considering RCSI and has any questions, I'd be happy to help. I love the place and wouldn't change course if you payed me.

Thanks for your offer to answer questions. I don't have any questions as such, I just can't really decide between UCD and RCSI...
    I went to a UCD medical sciences open day and I have to say I was very impressed with the set up they have; their facilities are excellent and they seem to have very support and admin networks for students.
    RCSI has such an established name and more prestige, but that wouldn't really interest me.
    I want the best education I can get, maybe RCSI's name has substance and you are happy there. Is there any reason why you chose RCSI and what do you love about it? Thank you!
    Pssssst! I am only dreaming that I'll have a choice of colleges, after getting 53 in London in 2010 I can't see how I could have done any better this time around, I thought the exam was brutal...

I've wanted to go to RCSI since I was 15! If I got in, I would freak the fcuk out!! Is your timetable doable? if I got in I don't think I'd go for the loans, have some savings so I'd be funding it myself, with the aim of working a couple of hours at the weekend to survive on. But I don't know how realistic this is... kind of on par with me thinking I can actually be a doctor :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Does anyone know if the Aussies received an email to say that their results would be out on such a day, or did they just get one saying here are your results?

I don't think they got an email prior to results. The people waiting for results on the PD forum were expecting the results monday because they hadn't received any word and it was after 5pm. Then someone posted at 20 past 5 that the results were out??? So I don't think it was a case of the day before or anything like that. We might be the same, although we might get an email monday at 5am or some ridiculous hour saying they'll be released at 9am. ;)

I don't think they got an email prior to results. The people waiting for results on the PD forum were expecting the results monday because they hadn't received any word and it was after 5pm. Then someone posted at 20 past 5 that the results were out??? So I don't think it was a case of the day before or anything like that. We might be the same, although we might get an email monday at 5am or some ridiculous hour saying they'll be released at 9am. ;)
    Cool thanks!

Out of interest, are you on PagingDr? I cant access the forum without registering but it wont allow me to register either?

I had an account from donkeys ago, but I had to re-register yesterday. If you're trying to register and you get that stupid 'human verification' thing with picking the picture, it made me do it 4 times in a row before it let me register. So if thats the issue just keep clicking!!!

Although I'd advise against going on because the scores are just depressing. Eg. 'Oh I got 65 but I was aiming for 70 +', wtf??? :eek:

I had an account from donkeys ago, but I had to re-register yesterday. If you're trying to register and you get that stupid 'human verification' thing with picking the picture, it made me do it 4 times in a row before it let me register. So if thats the issue just keep clicking!!!

Although I'd advise against going on because the scores are just depressing. Eg. 'Oh I got 65 but I was aiming for 70 +', wtf??? :eek:
    I know I shouldn't look but I can't not look!

I'm just getting the message "Error: Registration is currently disabled".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

I've wanted to go to RCSI since I was 15! If I got in, I would freak the fcuk out!! Is your timetable doable? if I got in I don't think I'd go for the loans, have some savings so I'd be funding it myself, with the aim of working a couple of hours at the weekend to survive on. But I don't know how realistic this is... kind of on par with me thinking I can actually be a doctor :-P

first semester would be extremely difficult working at the weekends. extremely difficult indeed.
    second semester would be easily workable.

Thanks jtsuited. I understand that the sheer amount to learn would mean working would be difficult, hopefully I'll get the chance to find out.
    In your opinion what has been the most difficult part of school so far? Have many dropped out of your class?

And JammyC, you really don't want to look. Alternatively have a look on newmediamedicine, might be results there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭cliona88

Its good to know that there were other sleep deprived people sitting the exam! I haven't heard much about the ucc course, is it much smaller? I couldn't find anyones description of the course on boards anyways. If anyone from ucc is out there I'd love to hear about your experience of the course!

• Advertisement

LoveSick wrote: »
    Is there any reason why you chose RCSI and what do you love about it? Thank you!
    In short; I can't fault the course and love the facilities we have. The class is only 60 so you really get to know each other. The workload is huge but the process is designed to get you through it, not to trip you up. We have entirely GEP dedicated facilities is first and second year, including Blanchardstown Hospital which essentially has no other students in it. There's a very health relationship between staff/tutors and students. There's loads of stuff I haven't mentioned. If you want a full breakdown of first year in RCSI GEP, check out this link.

I've wanted to go to RCSI since I was 15! If I got in, I would freak the fcuk out!! Is your timetable doable? if I got in I don't think I'd go for the loans, have some savings so I'd be funding it myself, with the aim of working a couple of hours at the weekend to survive on.
    JT got it right. Working during semester 1 would be a nightmare. One girl in my class got away with it for a few weeks and then quit her job, but she was a pharmacist so had a very strong background. You could probably fit in some work in semester 2. Second year is more relaxed than first so you could always go back to it when the pressure eases off.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Bella84 wrote: »
    God, not this tithead again. Thanks for that little gem.

Cant get rid of a bad smell....

Are you actually serious? I give you insight and perspective into what lies ahead to try and make people here relax because at the moment the results seem like the be all and end all and that makes me a tithead?

you seem to want to ignore any poster who has experience because it doesnt fit with your agenda of "everything will be rosey in the garden". Yes a score of 57 will get you into UL but think of the posters who will score 60 and wonder if its enough for Dublin? My post was directed at them for your information!

Sorry I have warned people off your number one choice based on pure facts not speculation - but maybe thats your goal - insult any poster that speaks ill of UL so that the criticism against it is silent?

Best of luck on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

cliona88 wrote: »
    Its good to know that there were other sleep deprived people sitting the exam! I haven't heard much about the ucc course, is it much smaller? I couldn't find anyones description of the course on boards anyways. If anyone from ucc is out there I'd love to hear about your experience of the course!

I went to the UCC open day a couple of years ago and I was seriously impressed with the place! a couple of loose information and I have no basis for this only hearsay - the hospital experience is super (university hospital) and its supposed to be one of the toughest in terms of workload - probably to do with the fact that the class size is the smallest so there is nowhere to hide :P

Just a few numbers for people wondering (I think this is correct for EU places)

UCC 25
    RCSI 40?
    UCD 75
    UL 90?

RCSI 30, not 40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

Are you actually serious? I give you insight and perspective into what lies ahead to try and make people here relax because at the moment the results seem like the be all and end all and that makes me a tithead?

you seem to want to ignore any poster who has experience because it doesnt fit with your agenda of "everything will be rosey in the garden". Yes a score of 57 will get you into UL but think of the posters who will score 60 and wonder if its enough for Dublin? My post was directed at them for your information!

Sorry I have warned people off your number one choice based on pure facts not speculation - but maybe thats your goal - insult any poster that speaks ill of UL so that the criticism against it is silent?

Best of luck on Monday

Most people prefer to deny a hard truth than to face it.

I'd suggest ignoring the posters who aren't in UL and yet view it through rose tinted spectacles.

Thanks jtsuited. I understand that the sheer amount to learn would mean working would be difficult, hopefully I'll get the chance to find out.
    In your opinion what has been the most difficult part of school so far? Have many dropped out of your class?
    Most difficult part for me was getting into the mindset of actually studying hard science. The first semester metaphor (used universally for 4 year medicine programmes) is that it's like trying to drink out of a fire hose. It's absolutely spot on.
    For us in RCSI, it felt like a baptism of fire. Especially for the non-science heads. No drop outs but a lot of 'what have I done with my life?' moments in the first few months.

It's a hell of a character builder though. I will never feel overwhelmed by any exam ever again, because I got through the first semester with flying colours (born to cram I am).

While all of y'all are waiting around for the gamsat results, take consolation that most of us are in the middle of 12 hour cram sessions this weekend before an exam in cardiovascular and respiratory systems tomorrow morning.

Oh to be preparing for the Gamsat again......where it was all cartoons this and famous quotes that.

So tomorrow then? The waiting is irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭cliona88

ill probably end up staying awake and refreshing my emails for the whole night. argggh

Thanks jtsuited, hopefully we all never have to go through this wait again... best of luck in your exams ;-)

Looking like tomorrow lads and ladies. I'm in work at 6 in the morning and if there's an email in the morning, I may pass out at the thought of having to work while my results are there.... there's more hope of me sprouting wings then checking the results before work. AND I'm in until 2pm.... torture!

• Advertisement

the feeling of getting the results is worth the wait (if you do well).

I had to give a lecture at 9 last year after the results coming out at 2am. it was a shambles. and zero fcuks were given. best of luck folks, and remember that at least in a few hours time, the wait will be over!

Advertisement