Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you feed your dog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Dog has been on orjen last 2 years and has done well on it , good weight , coat etc, however last few months i have noticed she can have trouble passing stools after it at times. Im getting in a trial pack of lukullus and will start mixing it in and see how she fairs on that , it also helps that its cheaper than the orjen .

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭seaniemoylan

my six year old boxer bitch is a fussy eater,i only have her for six months and before that she was fed supermarket dog nuts.
    i started feeding her with royal canin boxer and she started off fine,ate it plain,she then started getting fussy so i started mixing half a tin of pedigree thru it,in the last couple of weeks this wouldnt do her either and she was leaving it after her,she just didnt like it it seems.
    so last week i ordered a bag of whites lamb and rice online and as the 15kg bag i ordered wasnt in stock they sent me 2 x 2 kg bags free of charge while waiting.
    so far she is scoffing the lot(i still mix half tin of wet food thru it).
    whites e39 royal canin e59 and she is happy,everybody wins:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

If you gradually reduce the amount of wet food you mix it with she will get used to finally eating it without it. Try just moistening half the dry food with warm water, this makes it more appealing to them without the need to add anything to it.

I made my dog fussy by adding stuff to his food before so had to get tough and he wouldnt eat for 3 days as i didnt mix anything in with it. He realised after 3 days he was getting nothing else so he gave in and just ate it without it mixed with anything, so tough love might be needed.
    Dogs arent stupid and are clever and can play us and make us feel guilty if they dont eat so dont fall for it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭seaniemoylan

im quite happy to keep giving her the 1/2 tin of wet food as i like to see her enjoying her food,on its own it just seems so unappealing i wouldnt blame her for not being interested in it.
    i know people dont agree with tinned food but if she is getting everything she needs from the kibble its worth it if she enjoys it.she also gets chopped chicken and leftovers a couple of times a week so theres no fear of her:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Bakers meaty chunks, although he also gets more chicken a week than I do and also spuds, he loves his spuds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

AG2R wrote: »
    Bakers meaty chunks, although he also gets more chicken a week than I do and also spuds, he loves his spuds.

To be honest, Bakers is an awful food and i wouldnt feed it to my dog, its actually worse than Pedigree.
    Its full of artificial colours and flavours and practically no meat content whatsoever, so i would really reconsider feeding it and try feeding something a little better for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Asphyxia wrote: »
    I'm a great lover of Royal Canine but have since fed my dogs Red Mills for the past month, It's a hell of a lot cheaper and my GSD looks so much healthier, he seemed to have been dropping weight but he's just bulked up and looks amazing! I'm going to be keeping them on this and see what happens.

What type of Red Mills are you using? I was using the Adult version for my two dogs - a cocker spaniel and a labrador cross (mongrel). The cocker is fine on it but the mongrel seems to have a sensitive stomach. It gives her diarrhoea. I see there is a sensitive version of Red Mills. Has anybody here tried it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

joolsveer wrote: »
    What type of Red Mills are you using? I was using the Adult version for my two dogs - a cocker spaniel and a labrador cross (mongrel). The cocker is fine on it but the mongrel seems to have a sensitive stomach. It gives her diarrhoeia. I see there is a sensitive version of Red Mills. Has anybody here tried it?

Which Red Mills adult food? They have a huge range, from Star, to Winner, Leader and they have a new one out now that I can't remember the name of. They also do the greyhound food of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

ISDW wrote: »
    Which Red Mills adult food? They have a huge range, from Star, to Winner, Leader and they have a new one out now that I can't remember the name of. They also do the greyhound food of course.

It's Adult Leader that I use.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SoulRock

Im Feeding my 7 week old staff Real Nature Black Angus and he absolutley loves it, never leaves a bit.. my only problem is i cant really figure out the amounts i should feed him, he gets fed three times a day and im basically just feeding him by trial and error as the instructions on the pack are in every language except English.. any guide lines in grams? i have a plastic measuring cup with the amouts in grams on it for that particular food..

also is goats milk ok for a dog i know normal cows milk contains lactose which isny great for a dogs stomach..

nice one :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

ok I am going to change the dogs food, they are currently on Burns and doing ok but I think they could be better so was planning on trying Luaths. There has been great praise on this about Whites so I emailed them and got this reply..has kinda put me off.

Thank you for your enquiry. Sorry for my delay in getting back to you.

Any of our foods will suit your dogs but it all depends on their pallate. Burns uses rice as its main ingredient whereas with our everyday feeding lamb or chicken is our main ingredient. As lamb is a heavy protein it can sometimes be too heavy & rich for dog. The chicken is a nice one to change over to. The kibbles are larger than the rice but not overly hard so are easy to chew.

For your mum, the lamb is a small kibble but again it may be too rich as Burns uses chicken & fish meal in their food.

An alternative that she or yourself could use would be Premium Active. It is a small round kibble that can be used as an every day food. Dont let the active part put you off. It just means it is slightly higher in calories but has added garlic & prebiotics in it.

Hope this is of some help to you but if you require any further information please contact me at any time.

It is more than €20 cheaper per 15kg than Luaths but Luaths is same price as I am paying for Burns so dont really mind that side of it.

So which would ye go for? Also Lexi is about 10/11 months, she is a 16kg Staffie cross. When should I change her over to adult food? She will be neutered hopefully in the next 4-6 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

TillyGirl wrote: »
    ok I am going to change the dogs food, they are currently on Burns and doing ok but I think they could be better so was planning on trying Luaths.

I have mine on Burns too and they are doing well. Luath seems like a good food too but is there much difference compared to Burns? If your dogs are doing well on Burns why change?

Robbies might be a better option but its twice as expensive compared to Burns (grams of dry food).

PS George Burns owns http://www.landofholisticpets.co.uk/ and makes Luath and Robbies.

His brother John Burns owns http://burnspet.co.uk/ and makes Burns.

But interestingly I see George uses the name Burns in America and owns the company http://www.burnspethealth.com/. He makes Burns dog food in America and its idenitical to the food produced in the UK by brother John Burns!!

I would have thought with the two of them having gone their seperate ways George Burns would be pushing Luath and Robbie's and not making/selling a copy of the Burns receipe in America!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Royal Canin for Cavalier King Charles Spaniels
    Boiled rice and chicken
    And once a week they get sardines in oil for their coats

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭loconnor1001

We do half tin of food mixed with dry nuts for both of ours. We feed them pedigree, people should feed them what they can afford! My dogs are both healthy and happy, their lives will not be cut short from eating pedigree instead of royal canine, and Im sure the people out there that are feeding their guys brandy, madra, table scraps or whatever have happy healthy pups too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

We do half tin of food mixed with dry nuts for both of ours. We feed them pedigree, people should feed them what they can afford! My dogs are both healthy and happy, their lives will not be cut short from eating pedigree instead of royal canine, and Im sure the people out there that are feeding their guys brandy, madra, table scraps or whatever have happy healthy pups too! :D

The point many people are making is that the likes of pedigree and bakers is actually quite expensive when you work out how much you need to feed per day compared to some of the more expensive brands. With lower quality food such as pedigree you need to feed a higher amount than for example burns or red mills leader so you actually end up buying more of it.

There are some cheaper fairly high quality foods out there such as whites and red mills leader that are quite affordable and if you do the maths and work out the rda of pedigree with say burns or whites and work out how much you pay per gram you might be surprised.

Do a little digging into what exactly meat & animal derivatives are and you might see why some people here advise against them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Personally I think Pedigree Chum and other supermarket brands are about the worst thing you can feed your dog. They are just fillers with little real nutritional value.
    Tins of sardines only cost a few cent in aldi, same with rice. Even cheap cuts of meat and bones are better IMO for a dog than tinned dog food.
    I don't eat processed junk and I don't expect my dogs to either.
    Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SoulRock

Personally I think Pedigree Chum and other supermarket brands are about the worst thing you can feed your dog. They are just fillers with little real nutritional value.
    Tins of sardines only cost a few cent in aldi, same with rice. Even cheap cuts of meat and bones are better IMO for a dog than tinned dog food.
    I don't eat processed junk and I don't expect my dogs to either.
    Just my opinion.

Mine too, i wouldnt eat McDonalds every day (if ever)
    pedigree is muck..

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

What Should I be Feeding My Huskey He Is 8 Months

paultf wrote: »
    If your dogs are doing well on Burns why change?

Because as I said they are doing well on it but I think I can get better for them for similiar price. Was thinking Arden Grange as well.

Yes I know about the connection between Luaths & Burns.

Anyone any opinion on Whites -v- Luath -v- Arden Grange?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Craigels wrote: »
    What Should I be Feeding My Huskey He Is 8 Months

First, what are you feeding him? He should be on a large breed puppy food.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Because as I said they are doing well on it but I think I can get better for them for similiar price.

TillyGirl, I was thinking that way recently too. Burns is a good food but I was wondering could I get a better food. On some threads I saw some good reviews for Land Of Holistic. I kinda thought Luath was too similar to Burns so I was going to go for Robbie's. I rang around a few places. I spoke to a vet nurse in Bray Vets (as they sell Land Of Holistic). When she heard I was on Burns she told me to stay on it - it's a good food and they have a greater selection of foods/flavour.

There is a new thread today where a couple of people are having problems with LOH. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056331316

Don't know much about Whites - good price though.

My Mum's small dog is on AG Sensitive and is doing well on it.

Anyways I have decided not to change from Burns until I run into a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

Because as I said they are doing well on it but I think I can get better for them for similiar price. Was thinking Arden Grange as well.

Yes I know about the connection between Luaths & Burns.

Anyone any opinion on Whites -v- Luath -v- Arden Grange?

Do what I did, email all the companies asking for samples. Mine are on Arden Grange past 2 years now cos at the time I had to find a new food asap after a bad reaction of one of the dogs to RC after they changed how they made it.

If you email Arden grange and tell em your considering changing to that food but would like to test it out they'll post you out a whole envelope of samples. I told them of the 4 I had then (now 5) & the ages so they didn't send senior stuff and they send me an A4 stuffed with sample bags of all the flavours and well been buying it ever since. £37 a 15kg bag and they love it and thrive on it.

TillyGirl, I was thinking that way recently too. There is a new thread today where a couple of people are having problems with LOH. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056331316

Don't know much about Whites - good price though.

My Mum's small dog is on AG Sensitive and is doing well on it.

I'm so confused! seriously who would have though dog food was this confusing :confused:
    Do what I did, email all the companies asking for samples.

I got samples of robbies & Luath today but only a teeny sample of each, cant tell from samples really need to try them for a few weeks. I have tried RC & Hills and wouldnt feed either so its either stick with Burns, or change to AG, Luath or whites. Going to change from Burns anyway I think. Might go with AG as Luath is so like Burns, Robbies is crazy dear and I dont know enough about whites.

aahhhhhhh!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Laika_

Burn's- Find it v good. Only feed her dry food, wet food does not seem to agree with her digestive system. Always fed past dogs pedigree but have recently been hearing bad reports so switched to Burns, for example went to the vet's before we got the puppy and they warned against pedigree!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

I'm so confused! seriously who would have though dog food was this confusing :confused:

I got samples of robbies & Luath today but only a teeny sample of each, cant tell from samples really need to try them for a few weeks. I have tried RC & Hills and wouldnt feed either so its either stick with Burns, or change to AG, Luath or whites. Going to change from Burns anyway I think. Might go with AG as Luath is so like Burns, Robbies is crazy dear and I dont know enough about whites.

aahhhhhhh!!

The AG samples I got were actually big, they lasted me a 2weeks. But like I said they sent me a loooooaad of them so I was well able to test it out. Worth a try, just tell em you have a load of dogs :D

Great thanks, I'll try AG so!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

There is a new thread today where a couple of people are having problems with LOH. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056331316

Yeah I was having a panic attack when I posted that lol - omg what will I feed him if the results are the same or worse!? :rolleyes: :o It wasn't the LOHP food that was the prob it was the Nature's Menu cans. He was back on Luath (with nothing mixed in) for 3 days and the sample we had tested yesterday evening was perfect - the right pH and no crystals.

Tilly a friend of ours feeds AG to their setter - he poos all the time and gets a bit bloated and gassy from it.
    Why not hold out for Pet Expo - bring a case and fill it with samples! :D

That's not til October! (are you going?) I was there last year on a stall and didn't get any samples or free stuff :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

RAW all the way, my family were watching my dog for a month while I was away and fed him commercial dog food, I didnt recognize him when I got back, skinny and they said he was hyper, 2 days back on RAW and when the family visited they commented on how calm he was now and that he looked better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Shanao wrote: »
    First, what are you feeding him? He should be on a large breed puppy food.

Shanao, Huskies are medium sized dogs(up to about 28kg) so I would not feed Large breed puppy food.

If you can I would suggest Chickens, Tesco have 3 chickens for 9 euro so its affordable, cut the chicken into 4 pieces and feed 2 to 3% of Ideal Adult Body Weight per day. They should also be fed a mix of different red meats and organs such as liver and heart. Huskies are notorious for having bad stomachs but I guarantee this will be very beneficial to them.

Advertisement