Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you feed your dog

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Some good brands of dog food are (there are loads out there but these are a few):

Burns
    Royal Canin
    James Wellbeloved
    Orijen (a high protein food so doesn't suit all dogs)

You describe your JRT as old - most good brands do a "senior" variety of food for the older doggies (usually over 7/8 years). Also, if you buy the bigger bags (say 7.5 kg instead of 4kg) it'll work out much cheaper and because you feed less of the higher quality foods it'll work the same price, if not cheaper, as the Pedigree food.

www.zooplus.ie is a great site for dog food (and other doggy bits and bobs). The UK site, www.zooplus.co.uk deliver to Ireland and often have things cheaper and/or different offers to the .ie site - they are all the same company so it doesn't matter where you buy from.

That's very helpful, thanks! :) Yeah she's old, about 10 or so. If it weren't for all the grey on her snout though you'd swear she was still a puppy :rolleyes:. I'll have a look at those brands on zooplus anyway and order something decent in for her.

EDIT: So would this Royal Canin Mini Mature 27 be a good one to go for? So expensive though - €72 for 16kg :( Suppose it'd last her ages though.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ohmfg

Fluorescence
    If you guy weighs in at 10kg and is active, the feeding guide suggests 210g per day. That size bag would then last you about 75 - 80 odd days.

I've looked on the site and actually it comes as two 8kg bags so yeah, probably worth buying it terms of value.
    Someone else who knows more about the nutrient value will be able to advise about that aspect.

It works out at less than a euro per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Hi, I have a 10 year old Cavillier King Charles Spaniel. He has heart failure and we are trying to give him 2 tablets a day.
    Do you know any foods which would be good for him with this condition or any tips for giving him the tablets? :) Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

ConTheCat wrote: »
    Hi, I have a 10 year old Cavillier King Charles Spaniel. He has heart failure and we are trying to give him 2 tablets a day.
    Do you know any foods which would be good for him with this condition or any tips for giving him the tablets? :) Thanks

I'm in the exact same boat - golden oldie with CHF due to MVD, grade 5 murmur. We do the "slip it down the throat" method - place the tablet (or tablets) of the top of your thumb, open the dogs mouth with the other hand and put the pills as far back down the throat as you can, the dog will swallow them instantly. If this doesn't work, of if your dog is very wiggly, try something to coat the pill in so that the dog thinks he is getting something yummy. So, for example, low fat cream cheese, banana, peanut butter, mashed spuds, even a soaked piece of kibble will do the trick for most dogs (tiny amounts of these are needed so you aren't causing the poor pet to put on any weight). I'm assuming it's Vetmedin (and furosemide) you are trying to get into him so if all of the above really don't work, try opening the tablet and putting it into his food (white powder inside) or crush the furosemide and do the same.

EDIT: So would this Royal Canin Mini Mature 27 be a good one to go for? So expensive though - €72 for 16kg :( Suppose it'd last her ages though.

That food would be fine for your dog. It may take her a little while to adjust to the new food so gradually switch over, increasing the new food and decreasing the old food. Buying a huge bag may not be the best idea because it will take your dog such a long time to get through it, the food may start to go off. If it comes in two smaller bags though, as "ohmfg" said, this would be ideal!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

That food would be fine for your dog. It may take her a little while to adjust to the new food so gradually switch over, increasing the new food and decreasing the old food. Buying a huge bag may not be the best idea because it will take your dog such a long time to get through it, the food may start to go off. If it comes in two smaller bags though, as "ohmfg" said, this would be ideal!

It comes in 2 x 8kg bags so hopefully it will keep. Can I not store the opened bag in an airtight container to keep the food fresh?

I'll gradually switch her over anyway. Thanks for the advice everyone :)

Can I not store the opened bag in an airtight container to keep the food fresh?

Yeah, really good idea - I do this with my dogs food too! I was just saying the if you buy a 15kg bag of food, it'll take you forever to get through (good thing!) and it might not be as fresh as when you opened it on the last day as on the first (not so good) but the two smaller bags are perfect for your situation!

I'm in the exact same boat - golden oldie with CHF due to MVD, grade 5 murmur. We do the "slip it down the throat" method - place the tablet (or tablets) of the top of your thumb, open the dogs mouth with the other hand and put the pills as far back down the throat as you can, the dog will swallow them instantly. If this doesn't work, of if your dog is very wiggly, try something to coat the pill in so that the dog thinks he is getting something yummy. So, for example, low fat cream cheese, banana, peanut butter, mashed spuds, even a soaked piece of kibble will do the trick for most dogs (tiny amounts of these are needed so you aren't causing the poor pet to put on any weight). I'm assuming it's Vetmedin (and furosemide) you are trying to get into him so if all of the above really don't work, try opening the tablet and putting it into his food (white powder inside) or crush the furosemide and do the same.

Ya I physically would not be able to force it down him :( Just don't have it in me! We were putting it into a bit of bread for the first about 3 weeks, then he sniffed it and walked away. Or walked around with it in his mouth and buried it! He's on two, one is Fortekor and is flavoured but no difference. Can't think of the other. The big problem is he's meant to have it in the evening, but he eats in the morning so we've to try give him something in the evening too and he normally just isn't hungry. Might try varying what it goes into each day. Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Ya I physically would not be able to force it down him :( Just don't have it in me! We were putting it into a bit of bread for the first about 3 weeks, then he sniffed it and walked away. Or walked around with it in his mouth and buried it! He's on two, one is Fortekor and is flavoured but no difference. Can't think of the other. The big problem is he's meant to have it in the evening, but he eats in the morning so we've to try give him something in the evening too and he normally just isn't hungry. Might try varying what it goes into each day. Thank you :)

It's honestly not that bad to force them to take tablets and I'd be the same as you, wouldn't like to do something like that but it really is grand.

The best food I've ever found for giving tablets in is a small piece of raw sausage. Cut a bit off one end, just enough so that the tablet will be covered, stuff it well in and voila! They usually love it so much they just swallow it whole. You can try him with a tablet-free piece first to make sure he'll just eat it without chewing. Hopefully even though he's already fed, he'll still want a piece of sausage enough to eat it in the evenings.

Totally off original topic but...
    Cocolola wrote: »
    It's honestly not that bad to force them to take tablets and I'd be the same as you, wouldn't like to do something like that but it really is grand.

The best food I've ever found for giving tablets in is a small piece of raw sausage. Cut a bit off one end, just enough so that the tablet will be covered, stuff it well in and voila! They usually love it so much they just swallow it whole. You can try him with a tablet-free piece first to make sure he'll just eat it without chewing. Hopefully even though he's already fed, he'll still want a piece of sausage enough to eat it in the evenings.

As far as I am aware, Fortekor is a vasodilator so anything salty is a big no no - sausage may no be a good idea. A little peice of chicken or mince or something similar (maybe save a little from your own dinner to give the dog him pills) are probably better options than anything pork (being a salty meat!). Perhaps even a little wet dog food might tempt him into taking the tablets in the evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

As far as I am aware, Fortekor is a vasodilator so anything salty is a big no no - sausage may no be a good idea. A little peice of chicken or mince or something similar (maybe save a little from your own dinner to give the dog him pills) are probably better options than anything pork (being a salty meat!). Perhaps even a little wet dog food might tempt him into taking the tablets in the evening.

Oh sorry I never even read what the medication was or knew anything about it before I posted :o That was a bit daft.

Apologies for that. Thanks lorebringer, I'll be sure to read the posts first next time!

Hmm thanks for all the help guys :) I've loads of ways to try get the tablets into him now! Still just not able to force it into his throat, he'd know himself I wouldn't be able either! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I use the kong peanut butter paste to cover up tablets, they don't even notice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Swash

We've our lad on Eukanuba and he loves it. Can pick it up pretty cheap online.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

My wee Jack Russell is dead fussy. I marked Winalot 'cos it's the only one in the list really he's had. I mix Pedigree Chum small dog or puppy nuts with either Pal, Winalot, Brandy or Dunnes Classic. He's a villain for swallowing bits of his toys so there are odd days it's hard to get him to eat anything. Sometimes I mix up some tinned salmon with his dinner. I know I spoil him, he won't eat biscuits 'til I dip them in my tea:o. I don't give him loads of biccies btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭Kiva.D

I feed my English Cocker, Taste of The Wild. I wish I knew more about canine nutrition to feed her fresh and get her off kibble.

Kiva.D wrote: »
    I feed my English Cocker, Taste of The Wild. I wish I knew more about canine nutrition to feed her fresh and get her off kibble.

Taste of the Wild is a fantastic dog food (up there with Orijen and Acana), have been thinking about trying it myself for a while - how does your Cocker get on on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Bailey (my 2 1/2 year old Boxer) gets Top Dog.

I havn't seen it much anywhere and I've googled it but with not luck finding anything about it.

My bf at the time when I got her fed his dogs Top Dog so we fed Bailey on it from she was a pup.

It's a musli type of food that smells delicious and with a little bit of gravy through it, left for an hour or two to soften up she can't get enough of it!!

A 15kg bag costs just €10.99 and it does Bailey for ages. There's no way I'd be able to afford any of the other 'big name brands' that are out there like Red Mills etc... Bailey is just thriving on Top Dog. Her coat is shiny, her muscles defined and just right and she's the perfect weight.

The only other treat Bailey gets is a little treat stick from Lidl. She can't take any of the Pedigree ones like Jumbone etc.. they give her the runs and she gets two treat sticks a day.

If anyone else has used/heard of Top Dog I'd love to know!

Oh, and I buy it in a Garden Centre that's joined to a Spar but I used to get it at a farmers Co-op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

We give our fella winner premium,15kg for 25 euro i paid for it.
    I will mix this with the scraps from our food and leftovers and it will last months.
    Funny he eats almost everything chilli,rice,most veg and plenty of fruit mango,orange,apple.
    I could not justify spending that much on royal canin way over priced and I think your best give the dog some fresh food like bits of scraps and meat with a buthcers bone for his teeth.
    Our fella has a great coat and I will slip him an omega 3/9 capsule every week to bring out the shine and help his joints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

That sounds like way too much hassle and discomfort for the dog.
    Wrap the tablet in between a piece of ham and have a second piece ready to give straight away.
    As the dog goes for the bit with the tablet immediately give him the other one as well and he will swallow the first fast to get to the second piece without noticing the tablet.
    Make him sit for it and it should do the trick,no point making it hard for the little fella.

• Advertisement

Taste of the Wild is a fantastic dog food (up there with Orijen and Acana), have been thinking about trying it myself for a while - how does your Cocker get on on it?
    She loves it - actually howls (it's so funny).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Kiva.D wrote: »

Where can you get Taste Of The Wild in Ireland? Did a google search but can't seem to find any Irish sites.

EDIT: scratch that - just spotted it on zooplus.co.uk

EDIT 2: Which is better Orijen or Taste Of The Wild? Similar ingredients but TOTW works out cheaper. Not sure about the high protein - feeding Burns at the moment which would only have 20% protein - TOTW is 32%.

paultf wrote: »
    Where can you get Taste Of The Wild in Ireland? Did a google search but can't seem to find any Irish sites.

EDIT: scratch that - just spotted it on zooplus.co.uk

EDIT 2: Which is better Orijen or Taste Of The Wild? Similar ingredients but TOTW works out cheaper. Not sure about the high protein - feeding Burns at the moment which would only have 20% protein - TOTW is 32%.
    Paultf: Not sure about Orijen. I switched my pup from Blue to Taste of the Wild because of recent recalls. What I did notice is, Taste of the Wild has a high starch content. I'm not thrilled about their potato "filler". Orijen might have a lower carb to protein ratio.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭paulgalway

What is people's thoughts on Brandy dry dog food.

Have a 4 yr old Fox Terrier X .

Also, is it wrong to leave the food out all day. We always find that she didn't eat in the morning and didn't want her going hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

paulgalway wrote: »
    What is people's thoughts on Brandy dry dog food.

Have a 4 yr old Fox Terrier X .

Also, is it wrong to leave the food out all day. We always find that she didn't eat in the morning and didn't want her going hungry.

Brandy isnt a good food at all tbh. Its very low quality with very poor ingredients.
    Its not recommended to leave the food down all day. Dogs wont go hungry so dont worry about that, they will eat if they want to. Just offer the food and remove after about 15 mins or so, then put the food back down at the next mealtime. They will soon get the message that if they dont eat they get nothing until next mealtime.
    But just to note, not all dogs need to be fed twice a day as they might not be hungry enough so maybe once is enough for your dog.

andreac wrote: »
    But just to note, not all dogs need to be fed twice a day as they might not be hungry enough so maybe once is enough for your dog.

At her last check-up on 20th June she weighed 8.8kg, roughly how much dry food should we be giving her in the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Hiya Paul it depends on what food you feed. I feed burns and they get 10g per kg but if I fed pedigree they'd need 20g per kg. What food are you thinking of changing to?

At her last check-up on 20th June she weighed 8.8kg, roughly how much dry food should we be giving her in the day?

All foods require different amounts. Usually the better the quality the less you have to feed so you it really does depend on the food you are feeding and how much it says to feed according to the guidelines on the pack.

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Hiya Paul it depends on what food you feed. I feed burns and they get 10g per kg but if I fed pedigree they'd need 20g per kg. What food are you thinking of changing to?

Currently on Brandy dry food, keeping a watch here to see recommendations.

• Advertisement

Currently on Brandy dry food, keeping a watch here to see recommendations.

I really would take your dog off Brandy, its not a good food at all. Plenty of suggestions of good foods in this thread.

Advertisement