Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you feed your dog

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Craigels wrote: »
    What Should I be Feeding My Huskey He Is 8 Months
    Shanao wrote: »
    First, what are you feeding him? He should be on a large breed puppy food.
    Shanao, Huskies are medium sized dogs(up to about 28kg) so I would not feed Large breed puppy food.

If you can I would suggest Chickens, Tesco have 3 chickens for 9 euro so its affordable, cut the chicken into 4 pieces and feed 2 to 3% of Ideal Adult Body Weight per day. They should also be fed a mix of different red meats and organs such as liver and heart. Huskies are notorious for having bad stomachs but I guarantee this will be very beneficial to them.

Thanks Chris, I'm sorry Shanao, but this is one of my bugbears. Sibes are medium sized dogs, so many people think that they are big dogs.

A lot of Irish sibe owners are feeding Best for my dog, they deliver nationwide, just google them. There is also another food now, it was only available in GB, it is made by some husky owners who race their dogs, and a lady with sibes in Northern Ireland has now started importing and selling it, don't know about delivery though. Its called Quest, again, if you google it I'm sure you can find the information you need. Or any decent food, just don't overfeed, which is really easy to do with sibes. They need surprisingly little food, they are very good at changing food into energy and if they get too much food, it just comes out the other end as diarrhoea.

If you can though, raw would definitely be the best option for your dog. If I had the storage capacity here I would be feeding all of my huskies raw, if we manage to move that is one of my aims.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Shanao, Huskies are medium sized dogs(up to about 28kg) so I would not feed Large breed puppy food.

If you can I would suggest Chickens, Tesco have 3 chickens for 9 euro so its affordable, cut the chicken into 4 pieces and feed 2 to 3% of Ideal Adult Body Weight per day. They should also be fed a mix of different red meats and organs such as liver and heart. Huskies are notorious for having bad stomachs but I guarantee this will be very beneficial to them.

Sorry I meant that in relation to the larger breed foods, the ones for dogs between 20-30kgs, I know sibes aren't huge. By weight they are technically a large dog (Between 25-45kgs) but because of their lighter structure they are a medium breed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Shanao wrote: »
    Sorry I meant that in relation to the larger breed foods, the ones for dogs between 20-30kgs, I know sibes aren't huge. By weight they are technically a large dog (Between 25-45kgs) but because of their lighter structure they are a medium breed.

The very top of the range for a sibe, which would be a male would be 27kg, and of course you have to remember that a lot of that weight is the coat, so their skeleton would weigh a lot less. I see what you mean, but I think if you weighed an out of coat sibe, even the bigger males, it would be under 25kg.

Its why unfortunately a lot of them have real problems with anaesthetic, because they are given too much. They really have to be weighed accurately before any ops.

Advertisement