Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog food confusion

Options
  • 18-07-2011 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭

I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light here. I'll probably have to change my dog from Luath to a food with less minerals as his wee has crystals and a high alkaline level - Burns is looking like the replacement. What's confusing me is mineral content - why is it listed on dry but not on wet? Is it added to dry but naturally occuring in wet or not in wet at all?:confused: I have 2 cans of Natures menu and 5 of Lukullus - would these be better than a dry food like Burns or am I best sticking to a dry food that has the mineral content listed!?!? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Having same issue here, very hard to find out the mineral content of all the foods, on top of that one of mine seems to have probs with most foods I try. (my two were on Luath and Robbies when one got sick)
    Low minerals is what I'm looking for, I'm currently back on the RC for now as that seems fine for both of them.
    Trying to figure out if I should try more raw food, but I don't think I could manage all raw diet.
    Has anyone any Info?
    So far as I can work out minerals are listed as ash? this is what to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

:rolleyes: That little messer - he's fine!! :rolleyes::pac: It was the natures menu I mixed in! I mailed LOHP earlier and got a reply from George Burns (I wonder if it's really him :))

There is very little difference between the chicken and lamb other than the latter has lower ASH levels which is the amount of indigestible minerals. This might in effect be better as very high Ash levels have been associated with crystals in the urine.

This would lead me to the conclusion that the addition of other foods was responsible but here is another issue that may contribute.

According to Traditional Chinese approaches to health - too many nutrients can create a problem like this. In other words, if you have been overfeeding and not necessarily resulting in the dog being overweight, then a problem like this can arise. It is more commonly seen in bitches who have been spayed of dogs which have been neutered. My suggestion as a way forward is to feed 50% Luath (Lamb of Chicken) and make up the rest with white rice. ( up to 86% of the nutrients have been removed when brown rice is refined to white) Also, you may wish to give the dog some orange juice if he will take it with his dinner - help acidify the urine. This is also what is termed rebalancing the YIN and YANG energies.

Advertisement