Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you feed your dog

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Lidl

The golden retriever eats anything but always want a change. Eats cat food too
    The border collie will turn her nose up at her dinner unless it's chicken

There is always spare meat and mashed potato and gravy so they get this too. All mixed up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Barking Heads, http://www.barkingheads.co.uk/ my dog is great on it but he seems to be able to eat anything and never have a dodgy tum. Foster dog took a few weeks to sort out and she is mostly fine on the Barking Heads now but still gets a sensitive tum once in a while and might go off her food for a day and have a 'bubbly tummy' but then is back to normal the next day, I can't figure out why except she is a devil for licking bits of ****e off the road when we're walking and she will eat the cats poop out of the litter tray if she gets half a chance. I wonder if she's lacking in something but at a loss to know what so if anyone has any suggestions feel free to post!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I just discovered another food that I'm going to try, am hesitant because Burns works for us but it is expensive and lets face it if something is similar and saves you 20 quid a bag you're going to try it esp. when things are so tight for people atm.
    Have ordered a bag of this http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/markus_muehle

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

kmmh58 wrote: »

Average analysis: crude protein 28.55%,crude fat 10.90%, crude ash 7.39%, crude fibre 2.77%, moisture 11%, calcium 1.19%, phosphorus 0.98%, sodium 0.36%, magnesium 0.11%.

That sounds like a bit too much protein to me - how are the poops on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭kmmh58

tk123 wrote: »

We only got it for her today, so a little early to say about the poops, I will let you know tomorrow about that one :D

Protein: The protein has come down from the Burns we were feeding her was something like 30%-31%.
    We were looking at RC today too and there puppy maxi food was somewhere in the region for 30% also, so we thought the Real Nature looked good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Brodi has Royal Canin Boxer, she seems to like it and it does her well. We've got some Red Mills complete, just a small bag, as the pieces are very small and they go in her treat ball to keep her busy when we pop out.

Another trick i have, is when i go to Tesco/Dunnes, i always check the cheap section of fresh meat, over the last few weeks i've picked up packs of turkey breast down from 4.50 to 1.20, just had to be used that day, bang 'em in the freezer.

Cook that and add rice and she loves it.

Also once a week we'll add 2 tins of Sardines to her Canin, ideal for her joints and coat.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

The Real nature is the same food I use and it suits my guys down to the ground. All other puppy foods I've come across have been 28% upwards, and one being a giant i put him on the Royal Canin Giant puppy food in the beginning(34%) and he started pulling his own hair out after two weeks. He's never had a problem on the Real Nature.

Puppies should have a high level of protein anyway, as long as it is from easily digestible protein sources, so why does 28% seem high?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

scudzilla wrote: »
    Also once a week we'll add 2 tins of Sardines to her Canin, ideal for her joints and coat.

+1

For the first time today I used tuna for my Rottie, I mixed it in with his 2nd feed of the day of Select Gold Maxi for puppy's. Normally he will eat it through the day/night sometimes even leaving part of his second feed and not eating it at all.

Today after I added in the tin of tuna he ate the whole 2nd feed in what seemed like one mouthfull :D absoloutely loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭CL32

Jesus there's some great info here.

I feed 200 grams of raw chicken wings in the morning, and a bowl of James Welbeloved in the evening (with a little bit of what I'm having because we have a sharing rule) I give her a tin of sardines once a week, and on weekends I substitute the kibble for whatever bones I can get from the local meat factory shop.

I'd love to go full raw diet but I'd need another chest freezer and don't have room. If I could get power out to a shed I'd do it in a heartbeat. She loves it and I love watching her eat it because she enjoys it so much. She always comes over lip licking and belching and rubs her head off me like a cat would.

Shanao wrote: »
    The Real nature is the same food I use and it suits my guys down to the ground. All other puppy foods I've come across have been 28% upwards, and one being a giant i put him on the Royal Canin Giant puppy food in the beginning(34%) and he started pulling his own hair out after two weeks. He's never had a problem on the Real Nature.

Puppies should have a high level of protein anyway, as long as it is from easily digestible protein sources, so why does 28% seem high?

A lot of people believe that a high protein diet can cause a puppy to build muscle too quickly and cause problems with bones/joints.

• Advertisement

Her poops are solid (which is an improvement) but a little black, what are they suppose to look like? :D
    As stated in another post I started her on this food yesterday, she was feed twice with it yesterday and this morning. I feed her 3 times a day.

Shanao wrote: »

So far so good on this food, although I only started her on it yesterday lunchtime. It is a little expensive but currently she is not eating large amounts. Her belly does not seem to be bloating, we have restricted her water around meal times. Setters are prone to bloating, so we want to do anything to ensure her stomach doesn't flip.:)

Her poops are solid (which is an improvement) but a little black, what are they suppose to look like? :D
    As stated in another post I started her on this food yesterday, she was feed twice with it yesterday and this morning. I feed her 3 times a day.

You may be on to a winner then!! The setter we know - his owners could open up a manure plant and power it with the gas he produces! :pac::pac:

You may be on to a winner then!! The setter we know - his owners could open up a manure plant and power it with the gas he produces! :pac::pac:

Oh yes she certainly has smelly gas :pac: I really hope we have found a food that agrees with her, my brain is fried trying to source food, protein content, main ingredients etc so much to consider :D pups are worst than babies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

My pointer, cocker and geramn shepard are now on raw meat (chicken, beef, bacon, whole rabbits) and tripe mixed with a bit of pasta. they have never been better, loads of energy, they seem much happier and the clean up is very easy. My butcher is sound and i get a few big leg bones with plenty of meat once or twice a week too

The shi tzu is different tho and gets ceser r somethin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

I was given a big bag of Hills Healthy Developement for my 6 month old pup but he hasn't really taken to it. He loved Multifit junior which the guys in MaxiZoo suggested to me. Shame cause Hills seems really good for him and I can get it for a brilliant price from my uncle (a vet). Currently I'm trying to mix the two together and seeing how he takes to it.
    Anyone any other suggestions? I really want to feed him something that's good for him, but he'll like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hills isnt necessarily the best. I certainly wouldnt feed it to my dogs... after my rottweiler broke out in hot spots from it. So dont be worrying if your dog doesnt like it, there are plent of foods out there as good as if not better than Hills.

A lot of people believe that a high protein diet can cause a puppy to build muscle too quickly and cause problems with bones/joints.

If they aren't exercising enough to work it off then I would be worried about it. I'd be more concerned with the calcium/phosphoros ratio. 26% protein is the lowest I'd put a growing puppy on to be honest.

Exactly what my guys' are like as well so nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

My dog had a big problem with food when she was a pup and so having tried everything practically the only thing that will suite her is the vet prescription royal canon sensitivity pro. One happy dog. But I'm not working so the cost of it is killing me. BUT. Apparently some vets have a loyalty scheme going with royal canin; each time you buy you get a sticker, six stickers and you get a free bag. At fourth eight euro a bag that's worth ringing around for. Unfortunately my vet didn't have a loyalty scheme and I only found out about another local vet who did operate this scheme by accident... My vet is great for sick- stuff, but for buying he food I now go elsewhere.
    I also discovered that James Wellbeloved which a lot of people speak highly of is also made by Royal Canin; only apparently has less additives in it. And is a third of the price...( thou o know it's ingredients are different) have yet to try it thou I will soon enough.
    bUT. I met a few people who swore by a product called "Best For My Dog". I met up with the sellers at a dog show and did re chr and liked what I heard, and they gave me a lode of samples. They have a couple of different types; chicken based, duck based , fish based etc. My did TOTALLY loved and thrived on one of these ( chicken adult I think) and was in top form. Me being paranoid I took the ingredients to my vet and asked him if they had the right mix/ ingredients and how he thought they compared to RC and he was very happy with them. The d0g LOVES them.
    I kinda stopped buying Best for my dog during the snow cos it was too dngerous to drive to ice them up, but now Royal Canin is discontinuing the Sensitivity Pro dogfood, and is substituting with a e56 a bag Duck based sensitivity food, which dosnt agree with my dig and which she won't eat; nor can I really afford.
    So I thought I'd post this here to let people know there is for super contrary dogs on vets eating orders a viable and , for me, very successful less costly option.
    They now deliver and if you google them they will come up. My dog can't eat Burns, Hills, scienceplan and a few others itjust run thru her :(.
    Anyway, sorry for the long post! Thanks!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Dr Jaynes dry food, mixed with scraps every other day,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gerbio

Has anyone ever properly looked at ingredients of RC. Got the fancy name for E320, which causes hyperactivity in dogs.
    James Wellbeloved has now been took over by one of the big companies and has changed their recipie.
    Eukenuba has crystal preservatives
    Hills has most of the vets tied into them thats all they will recommend
    Burns has been made like a human diet....low in calories
    Pedigree & Bakers & Aldi are like McDonalds to a dog
    Dogs are so pumped full of wheat & cereals nowadays they are intolerant to it, ie the Gluten, though research has shown to date that red setters are the only dogs (scientifically proven) allergic to gluten. Potatoes can cause stomach upset & allergies in dogs, Beef is bad for their liver & blood.
    Get a food that has no additives, colourings etc, contains no wheat and doesnt cost the earth, there are some out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

gerbio wrote: »
    Has anyone ever properly looked at ingredients of RC. Got the fancy name for E320, which causes hyperactivity in dogs.
    James Wellbeloved has now been took over by one of the big companies and has changed their recipie.
    Eukenuba has crystal preservatives
    Hills has most of the vets tied into them thats all they will recommend
    Burns has been made like a human diet....low in calories
    Pedigree & Bakers & Aldi are like McDonalds to a dog
    Dogs are so pumped full of wheat & cereals nowadays they are intolerant to it, ie the Gluten, though research has shown to date that red setters are the only dogs (scientifically proven) allergic to gluten. Potatoes can cause stomach upset & allergies in dogs, Beef is bad for their liver & blood.
    Get a food that has no additives, colourings etc, contains no wheat and doesnt cost the earth, there are some out there.

Can you name or recommend some please?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Barking Heads was mentioned previously. It's €49.99 for a 12 kilo bag in Petworld which I find manageable for three dogs.

It's got no additives or colours and has no wheat. My dogs have wheat allergies and what was coming out of them was putrid when they were on the Hill's Science Plan! Eventually we had to switch when one of them started throwing up and the other lad was chewing at his backside and his paws. The wheat content was definitely a factor, despite what the vet said. When a friend of mine started talking about what to look out for in the ingredients, to be honest I was a bit horrified and cross with myself for putting blind faith in dog food products!

Having said that, there are some dogs who thrive regardless of what you feed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Fed raw for the first year. Switched to kibble for convenience. 10 weeks into kibble, gus got terrible gastro - ended up at emergency vet for fluids and an anti emetic. Makes me v. curious - one of the arguments for raw with cats is how it maintains the acidity of their gut, which helps them digest just about anything. I switch my dog to kibble and weeks later he eats something that makes him very ill. Previously he'd eaten some pretty awful stuff but always dealt with it and was never sick. ( like he'd unearth something from the garden that he'd buried a week previously, but suffered no apparent ill effects.)

Either way, we're heading back to raw - I find it very hard to keep weight on gus with kibble. (Canidae grain-free and royal canin maxi jnr).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Pup is on Jameswellbeloved turkey and rice puppy. Its great for him and much better than the pedigree puppy he was on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

gerbio wrote: »
    Dogs are so pumped full of wheat & cereals nowadays they are intolerant to it, ie the Gluten, though research has shown to date that red setters are the only dogs (scientifically proven) allergic to gluten. Potatoes can cause stomach upset & allergies in dogs, .

I have a red setter, so no gluten is recomended then. What diet would you recommend for red setters?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

:o Didn't realise how crap most supermarket dog foods are until I popped into this thread! Can someone advise me what I should be feeding my old JRT? At the moment she eats Pedigree dry food and a chicken fillet whenever there's one spare. If I were to put her on a raw food diet, what kinds of stuff should I be giving her (is meat enough on it's own or do dogs need different foods too)? Otherwise, what's a good brand-name dog food I can buy for her (don't mind buying online)?

Feel so guilty now for not realising how bad Pedigree is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I'm a great lover of Royal Canine but have since fed my dogs Red Mills for the past month, It's a hell of a lot cheaper and my GSD looks so much healthier, he seemed to have been dropping weight but he's just bulked up and looks amazing! I'm going to be keeping them on this and see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

:o Didn't realise how crap most supermarket dog foods are until I popped into this thread! Can someone advise me what I should be feeding my old JRT? At the moment she eats Pedigree dry food and a chicken fillet whenever there's one spare. If I were to put her on a raw food diet, what kinds of stuff should I be giving her (is meat enough on it's own or do dogs need different foods too)? Otherwise, what's a good brand-name dog food I can buy for her (don't mind buying online)?

Feel so guilty now for not realising how bad Pedigree is!

Some good brands of dog food are (there are loads out there but these are a few):

Burns
    Royal Canin
    James Wellbeloved
    Orijen (a high protein food so doesn't suit all dogs)

You describe your JRT as old - most good brands do a "senior" variety of food for the older doggies (usually over 7/8 years). Also, if you buy the bigger bags (say 7.5 kg instead of 4kg) it'll work out much cheaper and because you feed less of the higher quality foods it'll work the same price, if not cheaper, as the Pedigree food.

www.zooplus.ie is a great site for dog food (and other doggy bits and bobs). The UK site, www.zooplus.co.uk deliver to Ireland and often have things cheaper and/or different offers to the .ie site - they are all the same company so it doesn't matter where you buy from.

Advertisement