Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fuel Prices

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

I recommend everyone get a copy of " Oil on the brain " by Lisa Margonelli

http://www.bookdepository.com/Oil-on-Brain-Lisa-Margonelli/9780767916974

a very good read, and was on the mandatory reading list at dartmouth college in the states...

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

On that note I've often noticed that a certain franchise seems to always have far cheaper prices than anywhere else. I've always been suspicious of this and tend to stay away. It's a fairly common franchise whose name is spelled with three letters beginning with a "T"; am I right to be suspicious?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

And I thought mine was cheap! Limerick is obviously the cheap petrol capital of Ireland :)

• Advertisement

Daysul in Ratoath was 131.9 when I filled up. Sounds suspiciously low now that you mention it Freddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Jesus. wrote: »
    Daysul in Ratoath was 131.9 when I filled up. Sounds suspiciously low now that you mention it Freddy.

Where's that?
    Sounds cheap - worth a detour on the way home!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is that near the airport? Lots of rental cars pulling in there?

No lol its cheaper at the airport one! Until recently the topaz un swords was the only petrol station there

Where's that?
    Sounds cheap - worth a detour on the way home!

Beside the Fairyhouse racetrack, just on the right before you come into Ratoath village.

(R155)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

corkgsxr wrote: »
    The one by the roundabout used to have ques it was so cheap.

I'm filling at 136.9 for diesel at the mo

There's a shop at the top of the town called Neville's which had pumps. Midleton was the cheapest in the country back then. Nevilles pumps had underground problems and they took them out. Prices rose very quickly after that. Competition authority sees nothing untoward in 4 garages all charging the same identical prices for petrol and diesel.......:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

whiterebel wrote: »
    There's a shop at the top of the town called Neville's which had pumps. Midleton was the cheapest in the country back then. Nevilles pumps had underground problems and they took them out. Prices rose very quickly after that. Competition authority sees nothing untoward in 4 garages all charging the same identical prices for petrol and diesel.......:rolleyes:

Its an oligopolistic market meaning they all charge the same prices. As decreasing prices doesn't increase revenue as they all cut their prices if one cuts their prices. Meaning they all the same level of business, but lower profit.

The same way all supermarket pretty much charge the same prices for branded goods. As a cut in prices leads to price wars, which results in lower profits for all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

whiterebel wrote: »

I'm sure they get a cut. Joking aside, regulators in Ireland are a joke.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

hfallada wrote: »
    Its an oligopolistic market meaning they all charge the same prices. As decreasing prices doesn't increase revenue as they all cut their prices if one cuts their prices. Meaning they all the same level of business, but lower profit.

The same way all supermarket pretty much charge the same prices for branded goods. As a cut in prices leads to price wars, which results in lower profits for all

But they all just happen to be at least 5c more then any other garages, in Cork, Dublin, Kilkenny, Limerick? How convenient......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I got petrol for 138.9 in the local esso when i included a tesco voucher for 10c off per litre :) Hopefully it will be around that price soon. Tesco seem to bring in these fuel vouchers when prices are falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

wait - esso and tesco? since when?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Spipov wrote: »
    wait - esso and tesco? since when?

tesco usually partner up with a local station, if there isnt a tesco fuel station in that area.

eg.

Top Oil, Staplestown Road, Carlow
    Great Gas, Turners Cross, Cork
    Sweeney's Top Oil, Ramelton Road, Letterkenny, Co Donegal
    Esso Martello, Strand Road, Sandymount, Dublin 4
    Esso Ashtown,Navan Road, M50 Bound, Ashtown, Dublin 15
    Esso Balrothery, Tallaght By Pass, Tallaght, Dublin 24
    Esso Tymon Castle, Greenhills Road, Tallaght, Dublin 24
    Esso Parkway East, Chapelizod Bypass (Dublin Bound) Palmerstown, Dublin 20
    Esso Parkway West, Chapelizod Bypass (Galway Bound), Palmerstown, Dublin 20
    Scanlans Texaco, Dublin Street, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin
    Esso Eglington, Cabinteely, Ballybrack, Co. Dublin
    Esso Centenary, Cabinteely, Ballybrack, Co. Dublin
    Esso West Pier, Old Dun Leary Road, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin
    Sweeney Oil, Moycullen, Galway
    Sweeney Oil, Claregalway Road, Oranmore, Co. Galway
    Sweeney Oil, Headford Road, Galway
    Joe O'Connor's Esso, Rathass, Tralee, Co. Kerry
    Topaz, Sallins Road, Naas, Co. Kildare
    Dee’s Topaz, Killarney Road, Newcastle West, Co. Limerick
    Kennedy's Topaz, Dublin Road, Carrick-On-Shannon, Co. Leitrim
    Esso Trim Road, Trim Road, Navan, Co. Meath
    Mullen's Esso, Bundoran Road, Sligo
    Mulrooney's Texaco, Dublin Road, Roscrea, Co. Tipperary
    Mulrooney's Texaco, Brooklands, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary
    Doyles Topaz, Carnew road, Gorey, Co. Wexford
    Esso Beechwood, Dublin Road, Bray, Co. Wicklow
    Esso Rathdown, Rathdown Road, Greystones, Co. Wicklow
    Campus, Wicklow town, Co. Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

do you earn clubcard points at those?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Spipov wrote: »
    do you earn clubcard points at those?

I wouldn't think so

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

While all the prices were on the way down, one in Collooney Co. Sligo went down to 146.9, all the rest hovered around 149.9/150.9. They haven't moved in over a week and after 2 days the station in Collooney went up to 148.9. W@ankers, the lot of them.

That garage mentioned for the Tesco fuel for Sligo is consistently the most expensive pump in the county. With Topaz being 50m up the road people might assume they're cheap by lowering their price by a cent or 2 for a day.

• Advertisement

W@ankers, the lot of them.

Hear hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Hear hear

So what do ye want?

All the stations to lower their prices to the point where they go out if business and you have to drive 20 miles to get fuel?

Sounds like you think these guys are milking it, where the reality is so different.

The price of oil has gone down far more than the corresponding price of fuel. Yes the euro is weak but it still doesn't account for the Mickey Mouse reductions we've seen in price.

(What garage do you work for Valetta?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

The price of oil has gone down far more than the corresponding price of fuel. Yes the euro is weak but it still doesn't account for the Mickey Mouse reductions we've seen in price.

Don't work for any garage!
    (As an aside, I've been asked in various threads if I'm a guard, civil servant, publican and a few others. Not sure why people can't take posts at face value)

I do have a good knowledge of how businesses operate, and what they need to do to stay in business.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Same goes for mortgages, you could get a mortgage for less than 2% anywhere else in Europe, only Irish banks are creaming it.
    Sure we know it from bitter experience, its the island principle, you can buy from me at massively inflated prices or you can fcuk off and buy it elsewhere. Oh you can't? So you can buy it from me at massively inflated prices, etc...
    The Irish are great at creaming an extra 20% for themselves, the problem is, if everyone does it, no one is any better off. That's the true double Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

1.447 petrol and 1.347 diesel, Esso Ushers Quay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Esso Ushers Quay

Valetta wrote: »
    Don't work for any garage!
    (As an aside, I've been asked in various threads if I'm a guard, civil servant, publican and a few others. Not sure why people can't take posts at face value)

Probably because you stick up for the screws and the authorities all the time :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

If you are a member of your local credit union, check if they offer a fuel card.

My local credit union offers 2 cards.
    A Topaz one, that gives 3.5ç off the pump price,
    And an
    Esso card that gives 4ç off the pump price.

The trick then is to find the cheapest esso or topaz in your area, this is where pumps.ie comes in very handy.

Advertisement