Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joe Rogan Experience Podcasts

Options

Comments

Aidric wrote: »
    Pretty much I reckon. In actual fact I think he was quite aware of this and tried to bring Rogan in to the conversation quite a lot. For some reason Rogan seemed quite detached from the interview which is strange given the interviewee.

What?..we must have watched different interviews..I think early on it was apparent it was a one way thing..
    Not a conversation..

What really annoyed me though was the whole YouTube hand movements..

It's quite obvious though that he just considers himself more intelligent than whoever he's talking to, and I suppose he's been on this whole thing that he's been on, so he reckons everyone needs to listen to him..

The more I think about it, the psyop thing starts to look more likely..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I do think what we got was a version of a talk that he has given many times before. But that's his message and I don't think anyone expects different. I really did not sense that he viewed himself as being above Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Arghus wrote: »
    I do think what we got was a version of a talk that he has given many times before. But that's his message and I don't think anyone expects different. I really did not sense that he viewed himself as being above Joe.

I agree, didn't get a sense that Snowden thought he was above Joe at all. He actually spoke well considering it was over 2 hours long. Compare it to the NDT interview as that was very much Neil thinking he was way talking down to Joe and made for hard listening.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Snowden has astonishing amounts of information on his special topic, great podcast, really enjoyed it

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Thought Snowden was very disrespectful to Joe.

I really got the opposite impression myself. He invested a long time into talking about how he came around to hearing about Rogan the first time. And it was always through sources he respected.

He did not bow down and beg at the temple of Joe like some guests do. He gave some actual back story on why he had respect for Joe at all. Which is the best kinda respect you can show.

_BUT_ this was not a normal rogan podcast even in my limited experience. His podcasts are usually very very very two way. In fact one critique most people give is JR talks too much over his guests. This podcast was a one way monologue for the best part.

Whether that was a condition of his appearance (likely) or Joe stepped back because of the limitations of the remote link up (also somewhat likely) or a combi of the two I do not know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

I found the snowden interview very interesting... To be honest i was surprised how articulate he was. I thought he would have lost his marbles at this stage.

Very balanced and logical point of view on data privacy and govt structures.

He could have let Rogan talk a bit more but all in all good stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I really got the opposite impression myself. He invested a long time into talking about how he came around to hearing about Rogan the first time. And it was always through sources he respected.

He did not bow down and beg at the temple of Joe like some guests do. He gave some actual back story on why he had respect for Joe at all. Which is the best kinda respect you can show.

_BUT_ this was not a normal rogan podcast even in my limited experience. His podcasts are usually very very very two way. In fact one critique most people give is JR talks too much over his guests. This podcast was a one way monologue for the best part.

Whether that was a condition of his appearance (likely) or Joe stepped back because of the limitations of the remote link up (also somewhat likely) or a combi of the two I do not know.

I would put it down to the fact it was a video link myself. Joe really hasn't done many of them and they are a completely different ball game to his usual MO.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

great thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Just have a question, what do you guys get out of listening to Rogan? He has some guests but after listening to him for maybe 3/4 years on and off, his overly earnest curiosity has worn thin. It’s mostly the same topics and inane chatter for the most part. Anybody got any good recent episodes they’d recommend?
    Also, have never listening to his more light-hearted episodes, are any of them funny?

Bridget Phetasy a couple of weeks ago was brilliant..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭scoobydude

Just have a question, what do you guys get out of listening to Rogan? He has some guests but after listening to him for maybe 3/4 years on and off, his overly earnest curiosity has worn thin. It’s mostly the same topics and inane chatter for the most part. Anybody got any good recent episodes they’d recommend?
    Also, have never listening to his more light-hearted episodes, are any of them funny?

The one he had a while back with the black keys was brilliant. One of the best. Very funny, Joe didn't interrupt too much, let the guests talk, and there were some very insightful looks into the music industry as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Loved the Artie Lange episode, didn't expect to.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

I'm listening since his second episode. I only really listen to ones now with the old regular crew/friends, scientists or people who are an expert, or very knowledgeable in a particular field. I don't do MMA, hunting, archery or most of Joe's personal interest stuff.

At this stage it's really just background listening for me. I take it all with a pinch of salt and any time something is mentioned that interests me it leads me on a search for more info. My favourite episodes now are with Redban/Ari/Duncan/Eddie etc. There is little to no intellect or education, but it's like old friends shooting the sh1t and I'm eavesdropping in :)

Tulsi Gabbard is interesting enough with the ongoing democratic debates. Unsurprisingly the military meathead along with her is a war monger.

I would not say "warmonger" describes Jokko that well at all. He is certainly a soldier - and understands a lot about war. But I would have to understand what you particularly mean by "warmonger" to know how you are fitting that to him. Most of the time he advocates things like meditation and sport and self betterment.

Most certainly however "meathead" does not as he is more articulate and well read than most people seem to be - certainly in the US. If you judge him on appearances alone you might think he looks like a dumb "meathead". But he is very intelligent and articulate.

I regret those comparisons. I definitely judged a book by its cover. I'm just so fed up of listening to US soldiers he has on from time to time that rarely can consider that maybe they're the bad guys invading foreign countries, that the world is not indebted to them, that they are not fighting for a brainwashed notion of "freedom".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Jocko has his own podcast out as well as a couple of books, has some kids books out too.

I regret those comparisons. I definitely judged a book by its cover.

Big of you to retract it. Many would have just dug down. Well done. Highly respect that in people when I see it. All too rare alas.

Not immune to it myself. First time I saw him - on someone else's podcast - my brain instantly said "who is this dumb ass". He looks like every dumb ass bouncer I ever had the unfortunate experience to have to interact with.

Then he starts talking and you realise from pretty much every sentence out of his mouth - this guy has a brain comparable to any I have met in my life - and even when you disagree with him strongly you can see he has thought deeply about the issue he presumes to speak on.

Then you hear him on his own podcast breaking down into tears - yes real men cry - when talking about friends or children or concepts like love and you realise he is not some mindless killing machine either. He is for the most part - as another pod caster once described him - a big teddy bear.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Did people listen to the Chris Kresser podcast?

I haven't been listening to Joe that much lately but I watched the GameChangers documentary on Netflix, had been moving towards trying more plant based - keeping eggs, fish and even at that, I will eat meat if/when I feel like it but I've had digestion issues lately so wanted to try something different, the way I see it, if I eat meat one day out of 7 in an effort to change my diet and see how I feel after it, then it's better than the current rate of eating meat 7/7 days.

Kresser goes about debunking the documentary - to be fair there's plenty of relevant counter points and it's not a bad listen from a learning perspective.....but fúcking hell Joe is infuriating on it. Kresser at times comes across as condescending but he's almost led down that path by Joe. Joe offers criticism of how the documentary is produced, that it's lying by showing things a certain way and in general offers very little other than dragging Kresser down to his level of snobbery over plant based.

FWIW I'm only in the early stages of moving towards eating in more plant based week-by-week, I'm not a massive vegan, but as somebody who is looking to listen and read good resources on the arguments for and against I really think Joe took the reins of that interview and steered it into a snobbish and dismissive abyss.

Haven't listened to any of his podcasts since but it'll need to be a slow week or a brilliant guest for me to dip back in

D'Agger wrote: »
    Did people listen to the Chris Kresser podcast?

Yeah - someone on the most recent After Hours Vegan thread mentioned it and for some reason the title "Game Changers" stuck with me. Just lodged itself in there. So when the same title magically popped up on Rogan not days later - I felt compelled to watch it.

He made a _lot_ of counter claims in that podcast so it is a bit of a Gish Gallop but I randomly selected three and checked into them myself. And so far Kresser was entirely correct - and the Game Changers movie entirely wrong.

But it is a slow process. When you _really_ check into a claim you can invest hours of time into just one. Let alone three. So I do not know how many of them I will check into before I give up. But so far 3-0 to him.

I tend not to worry about diet in this way though. I have one main rule when it comes to diet. Variety. I try to eat as varied a diet as possible and if I have something one day - I try not to have it again for as long as possible. Be that a meat - or fish - or some vegetable - or any other thing or group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Tulsi Gabbard is interesting enough with the ongoing democratic debates. Unsurprisingly the military meathead along with her is a war monger.

warmonger! would ya GERRUP OURRA DA!!!!

Anyway, here is Tim Dillon

https://youtu.be/-0sKkbjQYqw

In tears laughing here at them discussing that Ukrainian kid that was really a 30 year old trying to kill her adoptive parents in Indiana...

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭hankless

Really liked the Tim Dillon episode. A good few LOLs throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Yeah - someone on the most recent After Hours Vegan thread mentioned it and for some reason the title "Game Changers" stuck with me. Just lodged itself in there. So when the same title magically popped up on Rogan not days later - I felt compelled to watch it.

He made a _lot_ of counter claims in that podcast so it is a bit of a Gish Gallop but I randomly selected three and checked into them myself. And so far Kresser was entirely correct - and the Game Changers movie entirely wrong.

But it is a slow process. When you _really_ check into a claim you can invest hours of time into just one. Let alone three. So I do not know how many of them I will check into before I give up. But so far 3-0 to him.

I tend not to worry about diet in this way though. I have one main rule when it comes to diet. Variety. I try to eat as varied a diet as possible and if I have something one day - I try not to have it again for as long as possible. Be that a meat - or fish - or some vegetable - or any other thing or group.
    Zero complaints about Kressers points, just found Rogan infuriating as a host for it - felt the points Kresser were making could have been cultivated into a good chat instead of Rogan just lumping in with poor points - e.g. one about the guy using battle ropes and stating that when it was filmed it wasn't the instance in which he did it first....I mean obviously, the documentary is a production and a visual one at that so they're allowed a bit of leeway on that. Anyway, I might listen to the Matthew Walker sleep one again as that's an example of a good guest, well interacted with, might bring me around a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

As time has gone on I've found Joe more and more painful to listen to. If he ever comes onto a subject I know a tiny bit about, I'm usually left wincing over how he spouts off with misunderstandings or grossly simplifies things. I can't tell if he's a dumb smart person or a smart dumb person.

I know he's a comedian and not a professed expert on 99% of the subjects he talks about, but I've lost count of the conversations I've had at work or wherever with people where I can tell the subject has been precipitated because it's recently been a talking point on the JRE. You'd be amazed how many people - particularly young fellas - take his hot-takes as informed and authoritive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

As time has gone on I've found Joe more and more painful to listen to. If he ever comes onto a subject I know a tiny bit about, I'm usually left wincing over how he spouts off with misunderstandings or grossly simplifies things. I can't tell if he's a dumb smart person or a smart dumb person.

I know he's a comedian and not a professed expert on 99% of the subjects he talks about, but I've lost count of the conversations I've had at work or wherever with people where I can tell the subject has been precipitated because it's recently been a talking point on the JRE. You'd be amazed how many people - particularly young fellas - take his hot-takes as informed and authoritive.

Agree and disagree at the same time with a lot of what you say. On one hand you’re definitely right in that he simplifies a lot, and there’s definitely a slew of people who have him as their only window into intellectual conversation. So because he’s able to compose a convincing-sounding argument armed with some of the fact, his word becomes gospel because these people wouldn’t even think about the topics otherwise.

On the other, he doesn’t promote himself as that kinda podcast and it’s harsh to hold him to that standard. He’s not doing ‘Stuff You Should Know’ like. It’s a podcast about conversations he has both with his friends, peers and other notable figures. His goal isn’t to prove anything beyond reasonable doubt, it’s to have an interesting and thought-provoking chat. He succeeds at that and that’s all I really expect and want from the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Listening to Joe on with Firas Zahabi now in the car, good times

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

I'd agree with a lot of this. I've found Blindboy has the same faults, he spouts his theory on a subject as if it's gospel but if you have any knowledge on the subject you can tell he's making a balls of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,537 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    Listening to Joe on with Firas Zahabi now in the car, good times

Love listening to Frias always seems knowledgeable with lots of common sense

I'd agree with a lot of this. I've found Blindboy has the same faults, he spouts his theory on a subject as if it's gospel but if you have any knowledge on the subject you can tell he's making a balls of it.

At least Rogan has decent guests. Can't deal with Boat club's pub talk anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Simmer down

Jesus, Chris Kresser started off so well.
    I was on his side... and so was Joe, but James Wilks destroyed him once the B12 issue gave him the upper hand, and the gusto to push on. Chris was discredited & beat after that, he knew it. Feel sorry for him, he got murdered.
    That was tough..

Advertisement