Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam summer sale

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,890 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im tempted by borderlands , but fcuk the exchange rate! $7.50 in US , €12.50 ($17.80) here :mad:
    Why do people torture themselves by trying to see what other regions are getting it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Overheal wrote: »
    Why do people torture themselves by trying to see what other regions are getting it for?
    Because we all used to pay the same for the same game. We all got charged $50 for a game about two and a half years ago and then they decided to implement the € prices. Since then, the price of new games on Steam have gone up by €10 or more for us in the EU, but the US pay the same. I didn't like it then, and still dont like it now.
    I actively try and support games that acknowledge that there is an exchange rate between the € and the $. But saying that, there are some deals that are too good to turn down.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,890 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Maybe the costs are associated with Localization. The idea that the games industry spends more money launching a game in multi-lingual Europe, then say North America or Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Downloading "Test Drive Unlimited 2" (€13) & "Just Cause 2" (€5+50c+50c+50c) at about 550-710KB/sec from Ukraine. JC2 looks like it may be fun, and for €5 (well, €6.50 with 3 DLCs) I thought why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Maybe the costs are associated with Localization. The idea that the games industry spends more money launching a game in multi-lingual Europe, then say North America or Japan.
    I dont really buy that excuse. Sure it may be true, but what about the prices of games on Steam before they introduced the €. The prices are no longer competitive with in B+M Store prices, let alone online retailers as a result of this. you'd be mad to buy a new game off of Steam these days. They just simply slap a € sign in front of the US price.
    It's only torture for those people who seem to care about this sort of thing. It appears that there are plenty of people out there who agree with me.

the_syco wrote: »
    Downloading "Test Drive Unlimited 2" (€13) & "Just Cause 2" (€5+50c+50c+50c) at about 550-710KB/sec from Ukraine. JC2 looks like it may be fun, and for €5 (well, €6.50 with 3 DLCs) I thought why not.
    Brilliant game. Can be a tad bit repititve while following missions etc, but in fairness, they're all filler. The real meat and bones of the game is the sandbox, and what you can do in it. Enjoy. Great game. Some mods out here too you should have a look at too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

the_syco wrote: »

It is fun..... lots and lots of fun. I think it's a game the developers really poured their hearts into. It's a game that has lots of little details that make you smile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

theree's one particularly awesome bit in JC2 if you're a lost fan

#nospoilerz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

My only "purchase" from the Steam sale; TF2 summer shades :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭Nollog

Yawns wrote: »
    I might just cave and buy borderlands. Haven't played it yet. PC prob won't handle it but I am planning on buying a major gaming rig in next few months anyway.

Does the GOTY edition include all the dlcs and something else as well?

It would be cheaper to get normal and dlcs otherwise. I haven't looked at the package info in full but would assume maybe there's something extra in it for the extra few quid. Anyone know. Or should I save the last few pence for another game :D

GOTY has the game and all 4 DLC packs you can buy separately for less.
    To my knowledge, it's got nothing over buying them separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

/\/ollog wrote: »
    GOTY has the game and all 4 DLC packs you can buy separately for less.
    To my knowledge, it's got nothing over buying them separately.

Well not now anyways, you do get a map of Pandora (just a PDF download or something) but you got early access to the Duke Nukem Forever demo....kinda redundant now though.

• Advertisement

Hi All,

A note on Borderlands - great game, but solo it leaves a fair bit to be desired, it's real strength is the co op multiplayer mode, played with mates.

Another important note - myself and my friends had HUGE connection issues getting this to work. Lot of hassle opening and closing ports etc and one of my mates simply couldn't join and had to forgo.

May have been sorted in the couple of months since we last tried, but it was a serious frustration at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I speak the same language as the US... I'll take their copy ;)

Retail game, maybe, new box art/manuals etc but not for digital distribution. I would have had no complaints if it was €7.50 which is already given them a nice chunk extra, but 147% price increase I think my complaints are justified.

I saw the other price on Reddit, i didn't intentionally go looking for it. But it is a semi-open market (if you knew some one in the US) so there is nothing to stop you looking at the other prices.

Also, very easy for you to take that stance... your from the land of the cheap games :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

Terraria's the only game this time round, to set the moths free from my wallet

Pretty proud of myself actually

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Was really disappointed with this years sale. Last year was ridiculously good.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I got all the Company of Heroes lot for €6.49 and just got Borderlands (€4.99) and the Borderlands DLC (€5.99). Can't quite figure why the GOTY is €1.52 more expensive, but it makes mention of a PDF map and early Duke Nukem access (which does seem a tad redundant).

The only additional things I might've got were Just Cause 2 and Magicka, but I have a fair bit to be getting on with in all that, so it's all good :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Have only bought some Civ V DLC. Nothing else has entertained me tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Buy Magicka for under €4 it's a steal, great game

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Something to note: I see "paypal" is now a payment option - wasn't an option a while ago I think.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Bought nothing in this sale. Nearly got a few games, but then realised that i'd probably never play them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Ended up getting Mass Effect 1 & 2 and Fallout 3 + DLC for 30 EUR in total so not unhappy; that should keep my RPG/FPS side going for a while :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

I got Darksiders (<3 <3) Bully, Ruse, Stalker call of paprika and the dlc for fallout new vegas not sure how much that cost me but darksiders alone made me a very happy boy

Ruse seems rather god awful though the hells with those silly cut scenes and crap voice acting ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Last minute Beat Hazard purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Thank God it's over :D

So I got Recettear, DOW Retribution, bit.trip.runner,BFBC2,Duke Nukem and Terraria, costing about €60.

I've actually installed and started all of them :)

There was a bunch of titles I wanted but skipped knowing I couldn't really justify them and that they wouldn't get played, plus, they'll show up in the next sale. I agree with the sentiment that the reason people were saying it was a disappointing sale is because they've bought lots of the games already. For the last few sales I've held off buying stuff knowing they would show up again and they do. So maybe I'll get them next time around.

I must say well done to those of you that held out and didn't buy anything though, fair play!

Wonder when the grand prize giveaway will happen.. maybe it already has?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I planned to buy nothing and ended up spending 100even, I need to stop looking at Steam and just by the games I actually want from Amazon or something, on the plus side it did remind me of some other games I wanted and when I looked on Amazon I found them cheaper or the same price (I like having the disc, I'm a little nostalgic that way), so in reality I spent 145euro, now all I have to do is skimp on food for the next month so the OH doesn't realise what has happened :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

This time around I got:

Audiosurf
    Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition
    Battlefield: Bad Company 2
    Ben There, Dan That!
    Borderlands
    Bully: Scholarship Edition
    Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor
    Empire: Total War
    F1 2010
    Farcry
    King Arthur: Collection
    Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
    Lead and Gold - Gangs of the Wild West
    Medal of Honor
    Time Gentlemen, Please!
    Various bits of Just Cause 2 DLC

In total all of the above came to €69.57 which is pretty exceptional value.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Kiith wrote: »
    Bought nothing in this sale. Nearly got a few games, but then realised that i'd probably never play them.

same here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

spent a few quid on this sale but the download speeds are crap. Hopefully now that the sale is over they will go back up to my usual 2-3mb/s instead of 200-300 kbs and the ukraine trick does nothing :(

30gb for gta4 and the addons at those speeds aint fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Here is my list. In my defence.. it was my first steam sale

AI War: Fleet Command
    Back to the future
    Borderlands +DLC
    Command and conquer 3 + Expansion
    Command and conquer 4
    Company of Heroes
    Deus Ex GOTE
    Deus Ex Invisible War
    Oblivion
    Fallout
    Fallout 2
    Fallout 3 + DLC
    Fallout New vegas
    Fallout Tactics
    GTA Pack( 1,2,3, Vice City
    GTA 4 + Liberty City
    Hitman Pack
    Just Cause 2
    Magicka + Expansions
    Monkey Isalnd 2:SE
    Penny Arcade 1 & 2
    Stalker (Pripyat, Clear Sky, Chernobyl)
    Sanctum
    Terraria
    Torchlight
    Tropico 3: SE
    Tropico : Absoulte Power
    Universe Sandbox

Oh and the Valve pack ( CS, HL,DOD,Portal 1 &2,L4D1 & 2 , Team fortress...Etc...).

I havent totalled the cost...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

I did it ... I made it through a steam sale and bought nothing ! absolutely nothing !!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Agent J wrote: »
    I havent totalled the cost...

You probably shouldn't :p

Advertisement