Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Promotions Thread *Please read post 1* (*Mod Warning Post #3947)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

IwW returned to action this past weekend with a small series of shows up in Northern Ireland. Skaterboi Jeebus successfully defended his newly won Zero Gravity belt not once but twice in one day!

Antrim

Skaterboi Jeebus retained his ZG Belt against Tat2 Charlie

Captain Rooney overcame LA Warren

Show 2

Skaterboi Jeebus beat LA Warren to retain his title

TJ Meehan defeated Walter Alexander by DQ after interference

Show 3

Skaterboi Jeebus, Captain Rooney & TJ Meehan toppled Walter Alexander, Tat2 Charlie & LA Warren

Pics to follow

I was at the show you did in Ballyclare leisure centre and it was a whole pile of ****e, below is a quick review of my time at it

the ring looked like a small breeze would knock it apart, they started 30 mins late, had 2 matches that in total lasted 30 mins, took a 1 hour break to have 1 wrestler sign autographs and try to flog stuff, lot of sheamus stuff the are trying to cash in on

then came back for 3 more matches that lasted about 45 mins then they said they were taking another break for 30 mins and thats when i ****ed off home

they had 2 matches for the anti gravity belt, ie high flyers, the highest they got was the 2nd rope

shambles from start until i left

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Horsebox9000

Any chance of some footage from the Devitt match?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FFPW Office

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WQYsJ_kYIs

Paddy Morrow & Jordan Devlin Vs. Robbie Morrisey & Fergal 'Prince' Devitt

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Horsebox9000

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭IWWINFORMATION

Monty Rebel - Hi Monty really sorry you didnt enjoy the show. The way it was set up was we were hired for the free family event along with bouncy castles, slides etc. We were asked to do a 30 min show every hour or so throughout the day from 1-5pm.

We asked the organisers did they want us to start at 1pm but there was a small crowd of people in the hall so they asked us to wait until 1.30pm when there was a much better crowd.

Not to be petty but I know Skaterboi Jeebus uses alot of springboards & his finisher is the Frog Splash so he definitely went up the top rope (& not sure what you meant by the ring it survived the show & we've done several more & its OK)

If we are every back up that direction & putting on a proper show (one that is run by us & not free entertainment for a family day) if you want to come to a show for free please let me know! We got some great reviews for our shows this past weekend in the Irish Independent, Sunday World & today on 2FM so hopefully we can change your mind! Sorry again for wasting your time

• Advertisement

fair enough just the way it was advertised by the council here was that it was 4 hour long show not a 30 min stint every hour.
    I would be more than happy to go to another show, especially if its free (I am a cheap ****) and hope to be more satisfied.

Of course that was just my opinion of the show but I am spoilt up here by the great shows that PWU do.

Coincidentally the last show they are doing for 2011 is on this sunday at the Balmoral Hotel in Belfast and its only £5 a ticket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Lorri_L

Don't mean to jump on here and start bickering. I've only been to one IWW show but thought it was really well done.

But to jump on here and tear apart a show put on by one promotion only to go on and plug a show by another promotion in your next post? Especially when (from what I can see in your posts) you've never posted on this thread before. Just something about it strikes me as unusua is alll.

Just my opinion though.

True I havent posted in this thread before but I have posted in ths forum before as I only found it a week or 2 ago

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭NLW_Info

Pics below from NLW Bray Bash, held on November 6th in Bray, Co. Wicklow.

312030_286614771370450_167386333293295_992219_416973579_n.jpg

303132_286614884703772_167386333293295_992221_50503210_n.jpg

319602_286614991370428_167386333293295_992224_144938213_n.jpg

380542_286615091370418_167386333293295_992226_720067951_n.jpg

391244_286614448037149_167386333293295_992212_2126943606_n.jpg

311704_286614668037127_167386333293295_992217_1256608869_n.jpg

317774_286614548037139_167386333293295_992215_1014106308_n.jpg

298067_286614704703790_167386333293295_992218_915422888_n.jpg

374061_286614934703767_167386333293295_992223_1137042769_n.jpg

384794_286615548037039_167386333293295_992236_1833609407_n.jpg

386230_286615708037023_167386333293295_992238_1458517164_n.jpg

305239_286615831370344_167386333293295_992240_1660395772_n.jpg

308582_286616151370312_167386333293295_992245_58227607_n.jpg

386905_286616208036973_167386333293295_992246_800245766_n.jpg

297615_286616371370290_167386333293295_992249_1297975719_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Productionhead

Ok so I've been to many Irish wrestling events in the past 2 years and to be honest with you lot the Irish wrestling scene was boring until DCW was set up and now the Irish wrestling business has gone boring again. During DCW's short run it had at one stage, granted for only about 3 or 4 shows the best roster in Ireland from Bingo Balance to Tunder and Lighting, but know it would appear to me that the Irish wrestling scene while there would seem to be plenty of shows there is no excitement around them.

As my name suggests I am interested in the production side of wrestling shows and think that Irish promotions need to up their game in this regard.

This is my first post but it won't be my last it has been a pleasure reading your posts over the last year and in this new tread as well looking forward to hearing what you lot think of my views.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Rawm2008

Why would you say its gone boring? the only thing DCW did different to everyone else, was the constant influx of youtube videos some good some horrendously bad, and lets be honest DCW was overbooked to high heavens with people like the ring announcer and the ticket guy having storylines people who weren't trained and had no business being near the ring.

Other than that everyone is still wrestling else where and with each other, Tucker is on the NLW shows, Bingo appears in them shows as did vic viper, Thunder and Lighting are Mainstage but appearing on NLW shows, is it the lack of online video vignettes or what?

Your post was pretty vague into why its boring,

I was more asking the question is the Irish scene boring now without DCW.

But to answer your question about the promo videos, the biggest company in pro wrestling uses Vignettes a lot more now as they realise that they are a good tool in getting talent and storylines over.

Tbh with you I do miss the buildup that we used to get in the buildup to a DCW show yes some of it was rubbish but it got me excited for the show. Without a tv show every week the YouTube videos were a good compromise.

With regards to the talent I am aware that they are still wrestling elsewhere, I just used to enjoy seeing the talent I used to in DCW.

No its not boring imo, just seen Pro Wrestling Ulsters last show of 2011 last night and it was amazing imo.

People such as Tucker, Damien Corvin, Tron, Brian Corr, Big and Dirty (not sure if they use the same names down south but they are Johnny Notaro and John Jennings) plus many more

Foootage should be on youtube later today of some of the matches and the rest to follow at some stage, may not be great as I was doing the video for a friend and it was my 1st time but people with better cameras and more trainign in them than me also will have some.

When its up I will post it here or a link to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 wrestlefan101

Ok so I've been to many Irish wrestling events in the past 2 years and to be honest with you lot the Irish wrestling scene was boring until DCW was set up and now the Irish wrestling business has gone boring again. During DCW's short run it had at one stage, granted for only about 3 or 4 shows the best roster in Ireland from Bingo Balance to Tunder and Lighting, but know it would appear to me that the Irish wrestling scene while there would seem to be plenty of shows there is no excitement around them.

As my name suggests I am interested in the production side of wrestling shows and think that Irish promotions need to up their game in this regard.

This is my first post but it won't be my last it has been a pleasure reading your posts over the last year and in this new tread as well looking forward to hearing what you lot think of my views.

have u been to any shows recently? i was at nlw 5th year show in naas in septemeber and the production was fantastic. it was in a theatre with a lighting rig n all. prodction was great. then i was at nlw and msw show with rhino in good counsel gaa hall and tat show was great for production as well. they had lighting, smoke machine and stuff and the whole place looked great. i went to nlw in bray too and the production tat night wasnt good (main event made up for that). basically just a ring and a curtain. but as my mate sed to me "wat do u want for 8 quid" haha which is a gud point. also i was at a coupleo f dcw shows and they were the worst pile of crap ive ever seen and they had no production anyway.

Yes I have been to msw shows recently and I was also at the NLW show and tbh I do have to commend the high quality production on the show. I agree DCW had rubbish production I never said it was good. The main things you need for a high quality wrestling show in production terms is a decent ring on the outside anyway (ie decent ring dressing) if possible get lights in if for nothing more than effects arena lights could still be used. A good PA system seems to be lacking in several wrestling companies in Ireland. Working in the business before PA systems are not expensive to hire out ranging from 200 to 500 euro denuding on what your needs are. Maybe I'm asking too much from these independent small companies but maybe if they could get a slot on tv even Saturday morning for 30 mins on a kids show. The money from this would go along way to helping the scene grow. But again maybe it's just not feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

A good PA system seems to be lacking in several wrestling companies in Ireland. Working in the business before PA systems are not expensive to hire out ranging from 200 to 500 euro denuding on what your needs are. Maybe I'm asking too much from these independent small companies but maybe if they could get a slot on tv even Saturday morning for 30 mins on a kids show. The money from this would go along way to helping the scene grow. But again maybe it's just not feasible.

At the NLW in Bray last week, there were no more than between 150 people, paying 8 euro each. So say ticket sales came to 1200 Euro, can't really expect them to spend up to 500 of that on a PA system.

Wonder how much the wrestlers are paid?

You just go to look to America to see how much guys probably get paid, anything from working for free up to maybe 150 euros, Devitt probably worked at a really reduced rate being at home so people who were at the show should realize how lucky they really where to see him wrestling, when in japan he is a national TV star! Easily akin to a WWE guy when compared to the American market alone.

People really need to understand that there is NO MONEY in indy wrestling anywhere! being invested or to be made, guys do it cause they love it no one gets into wrestling to make money or get famous, those results are icing on top of the cake, and im tired of having to state this over and over again NO TV network in Ireland or the UK will touch wrestling, you mite get the odd news piece but that is it! plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Yes I have been to msw shows recently and I was also at the NLW show and tbh I do have to commend the high quality production on the show. I agree DCW had rubbish production I never said it was good. The main things you need for a high quality wrestling show in production terms is a decent ring on the outside anyway (ie decent ring dressing) if possible get lights in if for nothing more than effects arena lights could still be used. A good PA system seems to be lacking in several wrestling companies in Ireland. Working in the business before PA systems are not expensive to hire out ranging from 200 to 500 euro denuding on what your needs are. Maybe I'm asking too much from these independent small companies but maybe if they could get a slot on tv even Saturday morning for 30 mins on a kids show. The money from this would go along way to helping the scene grow. But again maybe it's just not feasible.

Howya dude.

You seem enthusiastic about the business. I'd recommend you get in touch with one of these companies and give it a go for yourself, try and get some of your ideas to come to fruition.

At the moment, some of what you're saying is a bit naive to how wrestling is run and works (e.g. suggesting a company gets a TV slot...yes, every one of them would love that but you can't just send RTE an email and be on TV the next week).

But, if you know about production and the guys running these companies are smart, maybe you could lend some of your expertise to them while learning about the business you love yourself and turning your ideas from idle forum chatter into real life! I remember someone from either NLW or FFPW saying, in this very thread for example, that they know little of aspects outside of wrestling and would welcome help from outside. So there's a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭The Cannibal

There's been a debate about the issue since the first post on this forum pretty much.

It's all a balance of putting on respectable shows and making your money back vs risking that for forward progression and potentially losing everything. Very few with money in the pot will go for the gamble option even though it is the more appealing to the fan.

Usually everything falls apart on the scene when people start to make progress but outside of DCW there has been some stability in recent times. With stability it usually either goes the way of progress or stagnation. I'm pulling for progress.

With stability, consistent shows and incremental improvements maybe the scene will eventually get to where you want it. But with the current money men it will never be an overnight shift and gamble job. They'll take steps when they are sure they won't lose everything on it and not before. It means that the scene looks boring for stretches of time but it is what it is and no one has the disposable income to play with to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭NLW_Info

NLW return to the Moat Theatre in Naas, Co. Kildare for the annual 'New Year Bash' event on Sunday Jan 22nd 2012.
    Tickets are on sale now from the moat box office: (045) 88 30 30. Seats numbered so if you want to pick ur seats, early booking advisable.
    Tickets €12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Rather than posting this in the Q&A thread, I'm going to post it here, it seems like I'm more likely to find an actual wrestler here.
    I'm buying my first set of gear soon, I measured my waist, and I got 43 inches(which, to be honest, seems like way too much, I am overweight, but, I don't look or feel that overweight.) but, I wear a large, which is 36-38 inches in everything, and it's not tight, does anyone know what size I should go with?
    Also, another small question, I already have a pair of knee pads, but, since they don't go with my attire, I'm buying a new pair, I originally bought medium, and they're a pretty tight fit, but still, not too tight to use, if I buy large this time, would it be possible for them to be way too big?

Rather than posting this in the Q&A thread, I'm going to post it here, it seems like I'm more likely to find an actual wrestler here.
    I'm buying my first set of gear soon, I measured my waist, and I got 43 inches(which, to be honest, seems like way too much, I am overweight, but, I don't look or feel that overweight.) but, I wear a large, which is 36-38 inches in everything, and it's not tight, does anyone know what size I should go with?
    Also, another small question, I already have a pair of knee pads, but, since they don't go with my attire, I'm buying a new pair, I originally bought medium, and they're a pretty tight fit, but still, not too tight to use, if I buy large this time, would it be possible for them to be way too big?

Hey mate,

Phil Boyd here, I've been wrestling a while. Get large(r) knee pads if you can. I wear large AMA knee pads and they are fairly snug on me and I'm only an average sized cruiserweight. Also most things made will expand but if your measuring tape says 43'' I think you should go with that. Maybe cut it to 41'' if you feel better that way but don't go by your jeans size. Anyway hope this helps. Are you training in Ireland?

Hey mate,

Phil Boyd here, I've been wrestling a while. Get large(r) knee pads if you can. I wear large AMA knee pads and they are fairly snug on me and I'm only an average sized cruiserweight. Also most things made will expand but if your measuring tape says 43'' I think you should go with that. Maybe cut it to 41'' if you feel better that way but don't go by your jeans size. Anyway hope this helps. Are you training in Ireland?

Thanks, Phil.
    Yeah, I'm training in Ireland, at MSW to be specific.
    I have another question, how far would a singlet be likely to stretch?
    I've lost quite a bit of weight since I started training, and I'm still losing weight, which will probably increase when I join the gym(don't have the money till after Christmas.) so, I'd rather get a smaller size, I redid the measurement, turns out I actually measured slightly wrong last time, it's actually slightly smaller, at a 42, do you think I'd get away with a large singlet from eLucha at 36-38, or should I go for an extra large at 40-42?
    Do you think an extra large would fit someone who's smaller than that?
    I'm trying to make it last as long as possible, since, including shipping, you're generally looking at over €100 per singlet.
    Thanks in advance for any answers you give me.

This is stuff you should be discussing with your trainers not with people on a fan site, and the way you made your original post bout getting an answer from wrestlers shows that A: your clearly not ready for ring gear otherwise your trainers would of pointed you in the direction of places for gear or B: or you don't trust the word of those meant to be training you, you do know they're on here and will probably work out who you are...

Get on facebook if you dont already have an account, and look for and become friends with or like the page AWP Australia, they do custom gear for guys all around the world
    They will be able to answer your questions pretty well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Rawm2008 wrote: »
    This is stuff you should be discussing with your trainers not with people on a fan site, and the way you made your original post bout getting an answer from wrestlers shows that A: your clearly not ready for ring gear otherwise your trainers would of pointed you in the direction of places for gear or B: or you don't trust the word of those meant to be training you, you do know they're on here and will probably work out who you are...
    guys is just curious, whats the problem? He wants advice of others who have sought the same product, nothin to do with distrustin trainers, prob just a really eager trainee .... Give him a break

Rawm2008 wrote: »

I trust my trainers, I just can't get a hold of any of them before Monday, I didn't realise this problem till last night, after training, and I only train Monday and Wednesday, I was planning on ordering my gear today or tomorrow, since I'll probably spend the money otherwise.

Yeah in fairness Rawm2008, is BetterThanThou interrupting some massive discussion on here. Like I think this has more posts than when Fergal Devitt wrestled in Ireland last week. Why are you trying to get the lad in trouble. Your two points make little sense and your fabricating a issue out of nothing. I'd tell lads to get gear straight away ready their ready or not. That way I'm not the one waiting on them to get gear so I could use them on a show.

At least the discussion is productive. By all means if he interrupted some great discussion about PWU's show last Sunday or MSW's show in Finglas next week or NLW's in Belfast the week after or even any IWW shows then I'd say fair enough. There's just such a negative attitude on this forum.

I remember when I started posting on forums it was great craic and the interaction between us '1st gen' Irish wrestlers and the people who came to shows was great. I remember Cannibal making a 'Phil The Trifle' picture from my original NWA Ireland roster pic. That was good harmless fun. Can this forum not try and go back to days like that.

Yeah in fairness Rawm2008, is BetterThanThou interrupting some massive discussion on here. Like I think this has more posts than when Fergal Devitt wrestled in Ireland last week. Why are you trying to get the lad in trouble. Your two points make little sense and your fabricating a issue out of nothing. I'd tell lads to get gear straight away ready their ready or not. That way I'm not the one waiting on them to get gear so I could use them on a show.

At least the discussion is productive. By all means if he interrupted some great discussion about PWU's show last Sunday or MSW's show in Finglas next week or NLW's in Belfast the week after or even any IWW shows then I'd say fair enough. There's just such a negative attitude on this forum.

I remember when I started posting on forums it was great craic and the interaction between us '1st gen' Irish wrestlers and the people who came to shows was great. I remember Cannibal making a 'Phil The Trifle' picture from my original NWA Ireland roster pic. That was good harmless fun. Can this forum not try and go back to days like that.

I know you have used some PWU talent before and all I have to say is that some of the newer guys coming up the roster will be awesome, and you should defo look into booking them in the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Failing that, can we even go back to the days of promoters having very public breakdowns, like 3 months ago? That was great craic altogether!

Advertisement