Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BJJ WORLDS

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭slammer187

Does that mean I can compete in the blue belt division of a Gi tournament?

Yea but if you're only at the standard of a white belt maybe you should compete as a white :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

the ibjjf is obviously flawed if they count no gi blue belts as gi blue belts, two different sports. lots of tenth planet jiu jitsu guys have seperate belts, magnus hansson from sweden is a gi black belt under de la riva nd brown belt under eddie bravo at tenth planet jj. the ibjjf should treat both sports differently.

Eddie Bravo does not call his jiujitsu BJJ. I'm not sure if this is pure marketing but he doesn't claim that his no-gi is BJJ. Next generation is no-gi bjj and the belts are as awarded as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Chris Brennan

True becuase we use the BJJ principals and always have

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭cletus

Eddie Bravo does not call his jiujitsu BJJ. I'm not sure if this is pure marketing but he doesn't claim that his no-gi is BJJ. Next generation is no-gi bjj and the belts are as awarded as such.

Further to this, Eddie Bravo openly states that regardless of the bjj rank you have when you start training with him, you begin as a white belt in his class

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Meh, he gave a purple to the guy who runs Submissions 101.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Meh, he gave a purple to the guy who runs Submissions 101.

Actually Ari Bolden got his BJJ purple belt off Keith Owen and is an affiliate, Eddie Bravo gave him whatever purple belt he gives out. Both cases were likely because he is paying big bucks to be an affiliate.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭stevemc01

Guys we've got the answer we wanted direct from Chris Brennan, to be honest that should be the end of it. If you have a next generation grade that's what you compete at in all competitions be it a gi or nogi tournament.

If anyone doesn't respect/understand what Chris has said, or what he has achieved in his career, or if anyone doesn't know who he is you really shouldn't be commenting in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

why did anyone even mention eddie bravo in this thread, its about bjj and 10th planet doesnt teach anything useful for bjj

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Diab Soule

cletus wrote: »
    Further to this, Eddie Bravo openly states that regardless of the bjj rank you have when you start training with him, you begin as a white belt in his class

Bravo, in the middle of this mighty spiel, claims that he honours all BJJ ranks below black, with black belts becoming 10thPJJ browns until they demonstrate competence in all the 10th Planet stuff - rubber guard and so on.

As for how Ari Bolden got his 10th planet purple belt, well that looked pretty shady to say the least...

So if I started training at Eddies he would give me a brown belt? What would happen if I tapped him regularly not using 10th planet **** would I still be a brown belt?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

you should try get a superfight with eddie bravo at the adcc if his rematch with royler doesn't take place chris

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Andrew H

This is not correct for proof do a search on Brandon Quick (fade to Black DVD) came into 10th Planet as a Brown which was honoured by Bravo. It later came out that all of his previous Belts were fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Diab Soule

So if I started training at Eddies he would give me a brown belt? What would happen if I tapped him regularly not using 10th planet **** would I still be a brown belt?

Uh, I guess by the standards Eddie's outlined then yeah, you'd be a 10th Planet brown. What that would say about 10th Planet I'll let you decide for yourself.

I have

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Great, another thread that's turned into a bit of Bravo Bashing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

12:45 might start up the debate again..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭cletus

sorry to bring this thread back up, I was sure that Bravo said he wouldn't recognise belts from bjj, so i went a-trawling the interwebz for an interview I thought I remembered.

Anyways, turns out I wrong, he will recognise every belt except black. Apologies :(

Heres the piece if anybody is interested:

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/?go=forum.posts&thread=1482225&forum=11&page=1&pc=13

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭kiad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

sorry to bring this thread back up, I was sure that Bravo said he wouldn't recognise belts from bjj, so i went a-trawling the interwebz for an interview I thought I remembered.

Anyways, turns out I wrong, he will recognise every belt except black. Apologies :(

Heres the piece if anybody is interested:

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/?go=forum.posts&thread=1482225&forum=11&page=1&pc=13

interesting article
    "A 10th planet black belt can have zero knowledge of gi submissions/passes/sweeps, so how the hell can he be accepted as a traditional bjj black belt?"

Advertisement