Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BJJ WORLDS

Options
  • 03-06-2011 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

just seen chris leddy got a bronze at the worlds white belt adult
    great stuff well done

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Brilliant achievement from one of the internet's least likable posters :D.

Congrats Chris!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

That has to be a mistake becuase he got his Blue belt of chris brennan in 2009, http://www.bjj.ie/beltlist.php

ps, Andys black belt needs updating on this forum also..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Yeah and he placed in last year's Irish open at Blue Belt. That'd be a great achievement to come 3rd at blue! The blue belt divisions are really tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

Well done Chris! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

Well done chris it is a truly amazing achievement, white belt worlds is basicly any ungraded jiu jitsu players and can often be as hard as Blue belt, i.e state wrestlers, MMA fighters..

Pretty Sure Riberio jiu jitsu policy is that a no gi blue belt is not accepted in their system and you generally start back at white, Or white with a few stripes. (This is repeated by most large BJJ teams BDW) and standards are ridiculously high over at the university.
    Especially considering if you compete at worlds in the gi, with little to no gi experience you prob wont get through the first round.

Hopefully he will be promoted in the gi by saulo over the coming days!!:)

Best of luck to darragh today competing at purple belt

@BJJ Fighter, pretty sure there was only two guys in that division, and chris got triangled pretty quickly:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Liam_B

Huge achievement to medal at Worlds in any division. Congratulations in Representing your Team & Country, Chris.

Middle Weight Blue Belt division was stacked, check out the brackets
    http://www.ibjjf.org/cgi-bin/montachaves.asp

Great Achievement!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭TEAM RYANO

Cowser I checked it was White belt
    I don't now the guy ,but if Chris Brennan awarded
    Him a blue belt that's disrespectful to change
    But maybe his coach made the call
    Any way well done

• Registered Users Posts: 33 BJJRevSS

Dude what do u mean little or no GI ExPERIANCE he placed 3rd in the Irish open last year in the BLUE BELT division and in his GI ?????? Do u mean the standerd is lower here and we have to degrade ourself while were abroad??? Im a purple belt in the GI but does that make me a WHITE BELT r NOVICE in NOGI ???? GOOD Luck DARAGH HOPE U KILLEM BRO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Was Chris awarded his belt no gi ? I think if he was then what Joey said above is perfectly fine. Especially since it was placed in the hands of a big school over in the US.

BJJRevSS wrote: »
    Dude what do u mean little or no GI ExPERIANCE he placed 3rd in the Irish open last year in the BLUE BELT division and in his GI ?????? Do u mean the standerd is lower here and we have to degrade ourself while were abroad??? Im a purple belt in the GI but does that make me a WHITE BELT r NOVICE in NOGI ???? GOOD Luck DARAGH HOPE U KILLEM BRO.

Little to No gi experience was not directed at chris, it was a generalization on why no gi gades are not accepted in some of the major teams.

Yes the standard is lower here in comparison to major teams like Atos, Riberio etc (not all of us train 3 times a day every day)

No we don't have to degrade ourselves, I never said that. I was just explaining that in some of the larger teams they do not accept No Gi grades.

I mean no disrespect to any no gi graded folks and especially not Chris (one of my main training partners) just outlining the guide lines that 'Riberio Jiu Jitsu' follow.

Go Darragh!

OOSSS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

I had two matches at the irish open, won one and lost one!! I had to borrow my little brothers tae kwan do belt (at least i think its tkd, it was a blue one anyway).

I dont want any part of this **** storm, anyone who knows me knows im not a sandbagger, If my coaches think i should wear a white belt, I will wear a white belt.

Thanks for the messages everyone, it was some experience, Didnt stick to my game plan at all, nerves got the better of me big time and i had to scrap my way to a medal!!

Darraghs division is today at 3, were all rooting for him.

If your coach told you thats what it made you would you trust him? I would.

If my coach told me i he was demoting me from blue belt to white belt id say thanks very much it was nice to train with u, but im gonna bring my buissnes else were. Personal i wouldnt be able to handle the embaressment of it. Ibjjf says coulored rash guards are offical gradings in BJJ and are bothe EQUAL in GI&NOGI. Darragh wasnt demoted 2 white belt wen he went to saulos i also trainned there and i wasnt either ??? And does that mean Dave Jones is not a real brown belt after all the years hes put into pushing and supporting our sport in this countrty ????

If my coach told me i he was demoting me from blue belt to white belt id say thanks very much it was nice to train with u, but im gonna bring my buissnes else were. Personal i wouldnt be able to handle the embaressment of it. Ibjjf says coulored rash guards are offical gradings in BJJ and are bothe EQUAL in GI&NOGI. Darragh wasnt demoted 2 white belt wen he went to saulos i also trainned there and i wasnt either ??? And does that mean Dave Jones is not a real brown belt after all the years hes put into pushing and supporting our sport in this countrty ????

I think this should be nipped in the bud fairly quickly but two things.

Dave Jones pushing and supporting the sport in Ireland should not have any impact on his brown belt. So there's no point in even suggesting that it should. He didn't demote him.. he said his coach told him in Gi standards he was a white belt.

Second of all, Chris Leddy is the first guy to come on here and name and shame sandbaggers even if it's in small tournaments over here. Do you really think he would sand bag in an event as large as the worlds.

No.

SDTimeout wrote: »
    I think this should be nipped in the bud fairly quickly but two things.

Dave Jones pushing and supporting the sport in Ireland should not have any impact on his brown belt. So there's no point in even suggesting that it should.

Second of all, Chris Leddy is the first guy to come on here and name and shame sandbaggers even if it's in small tournaments over here. Do you really think he would sand bag in an event as large as the worlds.

No.

The Dave jones point is used to explain how ridiculis it is, and if chris is the 1st to give out about sand bagging then more reason for him to own up he entered in easier division than he should have, a blue coming nowhere is better than a blue winning a medal in white belt categorary,

Basically by doing this you are saying that daves brown is not justified, that's how it looks anyway, if you good enough for blue 2 years ago then you should be a good blue now

It doesnt embarass me to wear a white belts.
    There is absolutely no intended disrespect to anyone.
    I have been training full time since January, before that it was twice a week at most on and off.
    I had some very hard matches yesterday, i won two by submission and on both occasions i was behind on points.
    I dont care what anyone thinks of me but it frustrates me that people would doubt Darragh and Saulo Ribeiro, apparently some people on here think they know me better than my coach or training partners!

Lets nip this in the bud lads, it is what it is, as i said the people that are upset by this obviously dont know me and with that in mind they should probably keep their comments to themselves.

cowzerp wrote: »
    The Dave jones point is used to explain how ridiculis it is, and if chris is the 1st to give out about sand bagging then more reason for him to own up he entered in easier division than he should have, a blue coming nowhere is better than a blue winning a medal in white belt categorary,

Basically by doing this you are saying that daves brown is not justified, that's how it looks anyway, if you good enough for blue 2 years ago then you should be a good blue now

I've never met you let alone trained with you, dont pretend like you have any idea how good or bad i am at jiu jitsu.

Chris89 wrote: »
    I've never met you let alone trained with you, dont pretend like you have any idea how good or bad i am at jiu jitsu.

Same here, but you where graded blue, by chris Brennan, he knows his stuff better than me and you, and we know the grades stand across the board, and the fact you entered blue division here means you feel your blue level-ps. Love the confidence that you only feel worthy of a white after all these years

cowzerp wrote: »

I'm not trying to say daves brown isn't justified sorry if it came across like that,far from it! Infact my opinion does not hold up against most white belts let alone a higher rank :p

Its nothing to do with how good u are r knowning u or how tough your fights were chris im sure your a nice person, we'r discussing the fact that you are a blue belt and represented your team here in Ireland as a blue belt in the gi is that true ??? And its not embarresing to b a white belt every 1 starts at white , u were demoted from blue to white acording to u and your coachs thats whats embaressing pal !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

Having seen Chris most recently, in the IP tournie, where he competed in the Advanced, against other experienced Blues and I think at least one Purple, I dont think anyone is questioning his skills or his awarding of a Blue belt by Brennan in 09, least of all Paul or Mick,

But if either Darragh, or Saulo asked him to compete as a White, having already competed as a Blue, all be it in a much smaller comp.. it raises an important question I feel.. and that is either our standards here in Ireland are not up to the international norms.. which i dont believe, given that for the most part, excluding JK, it is visiting Black belts awarding the grade, or that grades awarded in no-Gi are not equivelant as those awarded in the Gi.. which according to the IBJJF is not the case

All that being said, to win bronze, in that field, where Chris most likely would have faced wrestlers, or ungraded guys that should be blue, is a credit to him, his coach and his team. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭dasmoose

Just wanted to voice my support (and congratulations) for Chris, he is not a sandbagger at all, he's a hardworking guy who loves BJJ and has started dedicating his life to it.

You guys can debate whether a no-gi belt is worth the same as a belt in the gi all you want but as you say Shane, Chris entered Advanced at the last IP no-gi tournament against several blues and myself as a purple.

He just wants to get as good at jits as possible and he went to the University of JiuJitsu to do that. If Saulo Ribeiro tells him "you're a white belt in the gi" then do you guys expect him to disagree?

I don't mean to disrespect anyone but I reckon I could tie a no gi(only) purple belt in nots in the gi, Does that mean he is a purple belt in the gi because he graded no gi??? It is a valid question.. So if you wanted to represent 7 time world champion saulo riberio and he told you that he didn't care for your no gi grade then you would have no choice other than to quit or do what he says.

Seriously, how would a soully no gi practitioner even hope to compete in the mundials. It's ridiculous.

No disrespect to no gi grades but in gi jiu jitsu do they stand??????..

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭peteclarke

Gi and no gi are two different sports. Chris got his belt in no gi so he is not a blue in the gi ( yet ). He only started wearing a gi six months ago.
    He's done nothing wrong by entering at white.
    Well done Chris.

dasmoose wrote: »
    . If Saulo Ribeiro tells him "you're a white belt in the gi" then do you guys expect him to disagree?

Translation-saulo wants to win a medal, let's win at gold rather than test ourselves at blue, gaining points for his team and a world champ if it had come true.

I'm not graded in no gi so might enter at white level in future.

da-bres wrote: »
    No disrespect to no gi grades but in gi jiu jitsu do they stand??????..

I think thats the point Joey, the grade, as recognised by the IBJJF is accross the board, for Gi and no-Gi.. the awarding of the grade should stand up for both Gi and no-Gi

I take Marks point about respecting Saulos decision to ask Chris to compete as a white, but that then begs the question where do all the Blue belts,as awarded as no-Gi stand.
    Do we now have to check, to see if they have been training in a Gi sufficiently long enough to enter Gi comps as Blues or Whites?
    Are we now at the stage, where unless you graded in the Gi, you will not be acknowledged as that grade.

This debate is taking away from a great achievement by one of our own, so lets keep the thread for that.. so can Paul open another thread for anyone who wants to debate the Gi vs no-Gi grades

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Few things to consider,

The belt was awarded in 2009, at least 18 months ago

Imagine you were one of the guys who put the effort into going to the worlds, was winning on points and got subbed by a guy who might well have fought at blue before, and did it appears fight in advanced categories before.

The belt linage in Bjj is one of it's best assets, this potentially takes away from it's strength.

If this bothers people so much then why not ask the ibjjf their opinion? it appears he only did what his coach told him to do

If he is a blue belt does it say more about the other whites that he didn't win the category and points to a much bigger problem.

winning a medal at such a large comp is a great achievement

Is saulo going to promote him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Shane Fitz wrote: »
    This debate is taking away from a great achievement by one of our own, so lets keep the thread for that.. so can Paul open another thread for anyone who wants to debate the Gi vs no-Gi grades

Actually I'm comfortable letting this discussion carry on here simply because people hsve been accused of 'sandbagging' in other threads without a call for a separate thread to be opened.

I don't know know the various personalities involved, but it appears as though there are legitimate concerns expressed and questions asked re. a competitor in this thread.

Lets carry on for now.

Few things to consider,

The belt was awarded in 2009, at least 18 months ago

Is saulo going to promote him?

are you suggesting he be promted a second time??

and as an aside, if Saulo doesnt, will Chris compete as a white belt in Gi tournaments untill he is awarded a "gi" blue belt??..
    the fact of the matter is, Chris was representing hinself, Darragh, and Saulo, his coaches asked him to compete as a White, which he did.. and successfully too.....

but an unfortunate side affect of that descision, is that all the no-Gi grades as awarded by Chris Brennan will be open to scrutiny, rightly or wrongly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Shane Fitz wrote: »
    are you suggesting he be promted a second time??

and as an aside, if Saulo doesnt, will Chris compete as a white belt in Gi tournaments untill he is awarded a "gi" blue belt??..
    the fact of the matter is, Chris was representing hinself, Darragh, and Saulo, his coaches asked him to compete as a White, which he did.. and successfully too.....

but an unfortunate side affect of that descision, is that all the no-Gi grades as awarded by Chris Brennan will be open to scrutiny, rightly or wrongly.

I'm keeping my personal opinions on this to myself, except to say that between this and a thread on efn that the White belt mundials seem to be doing themselves no favours in terms of respectability, and afaik medals at White don't count towards team points, and rightly so by the looks of things.

Advertisement