Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Does anyone here go Leeson Street for extra classes? Im debating with myself and can't make up my mind :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Fridays are such a write off study-wise

Every damn week...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Luckily there is Saturday Study. Without it, my weekends would be dismally unproductive. =P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

and does it help?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Anyone get their physics paper back? Ours was marked ridiculously hard!

• Advertisement

That's assuming I don't stay up 'till all hours tonight and completely miss Saturday morning again :o Why must I be nocturnal :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Yeah, but mine was marked by my teacher.. He was fair enough but I think he flies through the papers too fast, he has a tendency to overlook things. In one case I think he skipped a whole question or two of someone's work and in others he'd miss parts and if an answer is wrong he'll sometimes put an 'x' and leave it without looking through the method for correct steps to award marks for. I hope he doesn't Leaving Cert papers! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

I haven't even sat my physics paper yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Physics is a pure and utter mess of a subject!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

Anyone get any results? Were they marked fair/hard?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

The marking in physics has no consistency. And you would think that it being a subject that requires a good grasp of logic that they might just number the parts of a question so you don't miss anything, but no that would be too easy!

I'll give one example, this was in Q5
    a barge is towed by two other boats with a force of 3000N east and the other with a force of 4000N north. What is the resultant force acting on the barge?

I wrote down the theorem of Pythagoras, drew a diagram, Subbed into the formula, Got 5000N in a north east direction and only got 4 marks out of 7

That looks like a perfect answer to me, was any explanation given?

You have to include
    units and 45 degrees north of east

decisions wrote: »
    That looks like a perfect answer to me, was any explanation given?

Not on the paper no, I was raging when I saw it. I'll just give one more example,
    Name a precaution when measuring the resistivity of nichrome wire. I said clamp it tightly to the table to avoid any kinks which may effect the results. I got 0

Maybe it's just a bad habit I've picked up from applied maths but I always assumed North East was taken to equal 45'

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Brendan1234

a barge is towed by two other boats with a force of 3000N east and the other with a force of 4000N north. What is the resultant force acting on the barge?

I wrote down the theorem of Pythagoras, drew a diagram, Subbed into the formula, Got 5000N in a north east direction and only got 4 marks out of 7

You probably lost the marks because
    it wasn't north east, it was like North 35ish degrees East,
    but taking away 3 marks for that does seem a little harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Physics aint a bad subject to be honest. No excuses if youre not getting near full marks in section A, its all fairly repetitive! Then section B Q5 short q's are a breeze once youve done the past papers... Q10 particle physics isnt too bad and q12 is sound because you have a lot of choice. Then 2 more q's out of 5 you should be able to find something you are good at; mechanics, heat, light, electricity etc.

I have to say it is one of the better subjects in my opinion. Although them not numbering the q's is the height of stubbornness, what do they have to gain?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

you lost your marks because
    your direction of the force is wrong, its not 45 north east its east tan`1 4/3 or 3/4 north, i cant remember which vaule was on which axis. You get 4 marks for the force value and 3 for direction

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

Anyone go to The Killers last night ? Unreal gig

• Advertisement

Got a B2 in English paper 2 :) I won't complain about that

Who's up for a bit if this http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=lc2013 later on tonight?

Yes, I realise I'm not Colm and have no right to attempt to instigate IRC sessions :p

I'll be there, what time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

I'll drop in at some stage after 9 :D

Methememb wrote: »
    I'll be there, what time ?

:D

I'm not disciplined enough to stick to a specific time tbh. Shall we say night time? :pac:

Sounds good, dont be late :P :pac:

Methememb wrote: »
    Sounds good, dont be late :P :pac:

I could always troll you and show up ... in the morning ;):pac:

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I should make an appearance at some stage. :) Maybe 11ish

• Advertisement