Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

You are a complete weirdo trig is beautiful! So clear cut and straightforward once you get it!

(having an engineer for a dad probably helps! :P )
    If there's one thing that I learned from the aptitude tests, way back in third year, is that there isn't a hope in hell of me ever becoming either an architect or an engineer because I have little or no mechanical reasoning or spacial awareness. The percentiles I got in them were woefully awful, they were only in like the 30s if I remember correctly. I haven't a clue how I got an A in the JC in maths, I used to love maths then though but I can't stand the sight of it now :(

Give me something with words in it any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Deise, I agree with you completely. Give me stats and probability any day over geometry and trig. I thought I was complete weirdo because nobody else seem to like stats and probability, I'm not alone now :)

I don't like stats per se, I just think it's relatively easy compared to the rest of the course. I do like probability in fairness though. Trig and Geometry are fairly crappy imo, I kinda like proving the trig identities though, I think it's kinda fun. And like Geometry's just learning theorems and constructions and not much else really so s'grand I guess, could be an awful lot worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

If there's one thing that I learned from the aptitude tests, way back in third year, is that there isn't a hope in hell of me ever becoming either an architect or an engineer because I have little or no mechanical reasoning or spacial awareness. The percentiles I got in them were woefully awful, they were only in like the 30s if I remember correctly. I haven't a clue how I got an A in the JC in maths, I used to love maths then though but I can't stand the sight of it now :(

Give me something with words in it any day.

97th percentile for spacial relations :)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I love Irish oral :') Seriously, I'd talk Irish all day if there was someone to listen to me :rolleyes: It's how the language is meant to be used; for actual speaking, rather than all the crap we have to do for the LC course (filíocht and prós namely). I think it's my (amazing!) teacher who I've had since first year who instilled this love of Irish in me but either way, actually speaking the language is just brilliant I think <3

I enjoy speaking Irish just casually with my teacher or friends, but not the oral (for leaving cert) at all. I don't see it as a proper conversation at all. Like when they ask you what you did last weekend for example, to do well you must have a lot of verbs in your answer (8/9 verbs). In French, say, it's not like that at all. It's on what you say really what gets you your marks, and that's what I would prefer for Irish.

I just hate the way it's 'you must use X amount of verbs to do well in this question'.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Poufsouffle

I've never heard anything about using a certain amount of verbs for each answer. To be honest I'd just keeping going until I ran out of things to say like in a normal conversation and then the examiner asks another question. I know counting verbs would be impossible for me in the middle of the oral, the adrenaline would be going way too fast for
    that!

• Advertisement

First mock results have started coming in. I think most of them have arrived back but they came in late enough so we only got 2 of them back.

The Irish corrector seemed to get very confused when correcting mine. For the pros question, which should be marked out of 30, they marked it out of 40 and gave me 38/40. They filled in the bit on the front with the marks for each question totally arseways as well. S'alright though, after some debating we got the marks worked out as being our of 30.

I am amazedly, delightfully, surprised. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I've never heard anything about using a certain amount of verbs for each answer. To be honest I'd just keeping going until I ran out of things to say like in a normal conversation and then the examiner asks another question. I know counting verbs would be impossible for me in the middle of the oral, the adrenaline would be going way too fast for
    that!

Really? My teacher is always going on about questions like 'what did you do last week/what will you do next week/next summer' and those kind of questions as ''verb questions''. She says the examiner will be listening to how many verbs you say, and that they won't really care about what you say you did, they just want to hear say 9/10 different verbs. I know it's wrong to say 'bhí/tá/beidh' in every sentence, but 9/10 different verbs seems a bit much :P

Lads, I've just remembered that eurosong is on tonight on the Late Late. How did I forget that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Lads, I've just remembered that eurosong is on tonight on the Late Late. How did I forget that?!

I can't think of a less inspiring way to spend a friday night :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

I've just had the single most incredible nap of my life. Beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

First mock results have started coming in. I think most of them have arrived back but they came in late enough so we only got 2 of them back.

The Irish corrector seemed to get very confused when correcting mine. For the pros question, which should be marked out of 30, they marked it out of 40 and gave me 38/40. They filled in the bit on the front with the marks for each question totally arseways as well. S'alright though, after some debating we got the marks worked out as being our of 30.

I am amazedly, delightfully, surprised. :)

Considering you're paying these people around 80 euro to correct your papers (per person), you'd think they'd do a better job! Shocking! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Found This Fork Sir

Finished the pres yesterday, school today involved watching films, and chatting all day because no one turned up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

0mega wrote: »
    Considering you're paying these people around 80 euro to correct your papers (per person), you'd think they'd do a better job! Shocking! :pac:

I've been told by teachers in our school that the reason they don't send off their exams to be corrected is because the people who correct the exams aren't teachers, many of them are college students and the marking would often be a bit dodge as a result!

Our English marking was terrible. No PCLM or anything. Getting unbelievable compliments along the margins "great style, very original, fantastic interaction with the question" and then its like 45/60 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Had my Irish oral today and it went amazing :D never felt so happy :) I've only got two results back and they were both bs so I was delighted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

One week of pres down, one week to go, after a disappointing maths paper 1, paper 2 today was a dream! Looking forward to sleep this weekend:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 GoldenPoppy

THE MOCKS ARE OVER!!!!
    Ugh just four months to go and I'm free :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

One week of pres down, one week to go, after a disappointing maths paper 1, paper 2 today was a dream! Looking forward to sleep this weekend:)

You have 2 weeks of Mocks?!

So did I

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

You have 2 weeks of Mocks?!

Yeah they are really spread out, like most days i have only one exam. It's really going to drag at the end, it's really late as well finishing :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

I've been told by teachers in our school that the reason they don't send off their exams to be corrected is because the people who correct the exams aren't teachers, many of them are college students and the marking would often be a bit dodge as a result!

Whilst its possible that's the case I've heard that DEB won't accept anyone without 2 years teaching experience. I was looking the through the teacher forum on a thread from last year and that certainly appears to be the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Didn't know some schools did that. It's better in a way, one week is very crammed.

ray2012 wrote: »

Really? My teacher is always going on about questions like 'what did you do last week/what will you do next week/next summer' and those kind of questions as ''verb questions''. She says the examiner will be listening to how many verbs you say, and that they won't really care about what you say you did, they just want to hear say 9/10 different verbs. I know it's wrong to say 'bhí/tá/beidh' in every sentence, but 9/10 different verbs seems a bit much :P

Yeah, I've honestly never heard of that before, it does make a lot of sense though to show off your verbs. I might keep it in mind :)

Anyone else still have sraith pictiurs left to do? I think we have about 3 to go, getting a bit ridiculous now with the orals so close.

3 left yeah.

You know what the most heartbreaking thing in the world is?

Refreshing adverts.ie and having no notifications :(

howlongdoesthepaper1compositionhavetobe?

likei'mdoingapersonalessayandivegot3pagesbutrealisticallywillonlygetanotherpageoutofit.

butibetmyteacherwillmarkmedownfornotwritinglike6,despitethefactthatreallyit'snottoobad.

alsosorrymyspacebarbroketoday.

4 - 4 and a half is the guideline.

Slow Show wrote: »
    howlongdoesthepaper1compositionhavetobe?

likei'mdoingapersonalessayandivegot3pagesbutrealisticallywillonlygetanotherpageoutofit.

butibetmyteacherwillmarkmedownfornotwritinglike6,despitethefactthatreallyit'snottoobad.

alsosorrymyspacebarbroketoday.

It depends on a few things really, I generally aim for 6 points, an intro and conclusion too, so that's 8 paragraphs, your conclusion can be a bit shorter though. I'd generally aim for 6 pages but it depends on the size of your writing too, mine's on the bigger side so for someone with small writing it might be 4/ 4.5 pages for the same number of words.
    Also I wouldn't really be counting pages when I'm in the exam, couldn't tell you how long my essay was for the pre, I just kept writing until they savagely ripped the paper from my hands.

But above all, quality over quantity. ;)

Yeahjustwrappedmineupwith4andahalf.

MywritingsgenerallyquitesmallbuttobehonestIwasdoingmybesttomakeitabitlargerforthisessay.

Ifindithardtogetmuchover4whenitcomestoapersonalessay.

IjustdontthinkIhaveenoughfeelingsforanythingmore.

WhereasforashortstoryI'dstruggletolimitittosix.

I'mterriblesorryandwillnowrestartmylaptopfortheseventeenthtimeinthehopethatthebuttonwillworkagain.

Don't write in the margins, apparently you're not supposed to write in the right margin which I did, would've got an extra half page .

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement