Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

ray2012 wrote: »
    Just earlier in school TODAY I thought of that mnemonic. It's weird seeing it here the day I just thought of it too. :pac:

I thought I came up with that one all by myself! Maybe it's a fairly obvious one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

kingcobra wrote: »
    I thought I came up with that one all by myself! Maybe it's a fairly obvious one :pac:

I'm always making mnemonics :P for every subject! They help so much sometimes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Methememb wrote: »
    It's nothing got to do with the number of comparisons or contrasts you make.. Each question has codes by which they are marked.
    For example, the 2007 cultural context question:
    "The cultural context can have a significant influence on the behaviour of the central characters in a text."
    Compare the way in which the behaviour of the central characters in at least two of your texts ar influenced by Cultural Context of these texts.

The coding for this question would be:
    CC: Comparisons/Contrasts
    BI: Behaviour is influenced

So your answer must focus on comparing how behaviour is influenced by different aspects cultural context in each of your texts.

So you pick three aspects: Family, gender roles, wealth.
    Then you do an introduction, a point for each of these aspects and how they influence behaviour of characters in each text, and a conclusion.

Within each point you must discuss at least 2 texts, preferably 3. If you choose to use 2 texts, stick with these 2 throughout.

Example of point on wealth.
    Mena in "Sive" is highly influenced by wealth, in that she essentially sells Sives hand in marriage. Her discussion with Tomasheen strongly suggests this fact when she says... In contrast to this, we see how Theo in "Children of Men" is unaffected by wealth, Due to his stronger character and integrity. We see this in a key moment when ...Similarly to Theo, Ifeoma in "Purple Hibiscus" is a strong willed, proud individual who will not allow her morals or integrity to be compromised by wealth. This is highlighted when...

Very, very helpful, thank you! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Slow Show wrote: »
    Very, very helpful, thank you! :)

No problem at all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Slow Show wrote: »
    You know for the comparative? How many comparisons would ye roughly be making per essay? I think the main problem I have is that I don't compare enough, to estimate I'd say I'd get ten-ish comparisons in an essay. Which doesn't sound great to me actually. :confused: I dunno, I find it difficult to be constantly making comparisons aaaall the time but that's probably what I should be doing. Hate not feeling sure about these things...

I don't have the copy with me atm but for my theme question, I'd have about 4 or 5 per A4 page, though most would be very minor.

"In the early stages of C.Bl, similar to Jack in Circle of Friends, Rick portrays a misogynistic attitude towards women"

etc. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Anyone else absolutely wrecked when they get back from school?.. I usually don't feel that tired or anything but it is hitting me hard!
    It's such a push to do anything when you are this tired :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Hate it when I can't get out the Maths homework, always pisses me off for ages. Finding it very hard to study these days, even with the mocks only a few weeks away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Hate it when I can't get out the Maths homework, always pisses me off for ages. Finding it very hard to study these days, even with the mocks only a few weeks away.

If it's any consolation, my study tonight went like this: attempt maths home homework, fail miserably at maths homework, get frustrated, take nap :pac: I plan to go back to now in a while but it's looking unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Anyone else find it impossible to learn the accounting ratios and formulas for the interpretation question? It's a guaranteed question every year but I just can't get them into my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Found This Fork Sir

I usually find maths okay, but ****ing calculus, i just can't do it, it makes no sense, very frustrating indeed :confused:

• Advertisement

David1994 wrote: »
    Anyone else absolutely wrecked when they get back from school?.. I usually don't feel that tired or anything but it is hitting me hard!
    It's such a push to do anything when you are this tired :P

I left school after 7pm today, I'm exhausted :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Anyone else find it impossible to learn the accounting ratios and formulas for the interpretation question? It's a guaranteed question every year but I just can't get them into my head.
    I felt like that too but after doing all the questions it was a lot easier. Saying that I can't remember any of them now :P

I left school after 7pm today, I'm exhausted :eek:

Yeah I know we had extra Biology class today and when I got back at around 6 all I could bring myself to do was eat! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭RML

A quick way to memorise them is through flashcards! :D They're the best

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

RML wrote: »

A quick way to memorise them is through flashcards! :D They're the best
    I've just written them out on little sticky notes and actually managed to learn some of them while I was at it. Now to find a place to stick them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I'm the exact same, keep getting them all mixed up... Determined to learn them off though as it's a fairly easy question if you know the formulas, and it's pretty much a definite to come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

I usually find maths okay, but ****ing calculus, i just can't do it, it makes no sense, very frustrating indeed :confused:
    Our maths teacher loves calculus cause it's from the old course, she's always saying we should get 100 marks out of 100 in that section in the pre, cause it's a section you can rely on! Myself, I find differentiation harder than integration, just certain questions I just always get wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

Me too! they are all so similar i always get them mixed up! I hope to do the question in the LC because its not that hard once you know the ratios its just there is so many and they sound the same! My plan is to try learn one or two ratios a day for a week and by the end i should no them... No doubt things wont go according to plan though:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Our maths teacher loves calculus cause it's from the old course, she's always saying we should get 100 marks out of 100 in that section in the pre, cause it's a section you can rely on! Myself, I find differentiation harder than integration, just certain questions I just always get wrong!

Banking on them myself. Them and complex numbers and logs are my only hope for passing P1 in the mocks. P2's so much nicer

Banking on them myself. Them and complex numbers and logs are my only hope for passing P1 in the mocks. P2's so much nicer

Differentiation and logs are evil, i love co-ordinate geometry and the circle, the only manageable things on the course :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Calculus and co-ordinate geometry are my favourite parts of the course, only questions I'm not terrified about. :)

Regarding the Accounting talk, I don't know how I feel about Interpretation. I think it's a lovely question if you're aiming for a B/C because the ratios are 50ish easy marks (gotta just sit down and learn them, handiest marks ever, bar perhaps Irish leamhthuiscints) but when it comes to the actual interpreting bit the marking scheme seems so specific that I'd say it's very easy to lose marks and I want an A1 so I'm not sure if I'd be happy doing it. I'm gonna do it in the mocks though and see how I get on, and if a question I hate (suspense, I'm looking at you :pac:) comes up in June I'll have little choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

David1994 wrote: »
    Yeah I know we had extra Biology class today and when I got back at around 6 all I could bring myself to do was eat! :P
    Is an extra class for Biology really that all that necessary? It's just a matter of learning the textbook like.
    Differentiation and logs are evil, i love co-ordinate geometry and the circle, the only manageable things on the course :p
    I like differentiation. Always seemed very manageable to me. Dislike integration though, not 'cause it's overly hard but 'cause I usually end up making stupid mistakes which leaves me trying to solve it for ages.

Disliked logs when we were doing them but looking back, they too don't seem so awful. The circle can be awkward at times as well, though I usually get there eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Anyone not doing higher maths :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,614 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I now have 3 new substitute teachers over the space of two weeks. It's so annoying.

Also, my new accounting teacher is from the arse ends of the country, and she told me she can't understand my Dublin accent, yet she can understand the guy who constantly just grunts and mumbles. There's only 8 in our class too so it's a pain in the ass

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

Got the exam numbers today... it all seems very real now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

113 days :pac:

Ah jaysus.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Wait is this for the leaving cert? I looked it up and got 138 days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

139 days ! WOO?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Downloaded temple run 2 ! Biggest mistake ever!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement