Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Bar management, where is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

decisions wrote: »
    DIT But I'm after looking it up the correct name for it is bar studies-management and entrepreneurship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Right that's number 5 on the level 6&7 list.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

Really struggling with studying. I have no concentration :(

Getting 420 points is looking not very likely for me at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

Jade. wrote: »
    Really struggling with studying. I have no concentration :(

Getting 420 points is looking not very likely for me at the moment

same here, concentration and motivation is letting me down,need to get rid of this "it'll be grand" attitude quick but then i keep saying it'll be grand :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Right that's number 5 on the level 6&7 list.

:pac:
    Might see you there then :p

same here, concentration and motivation is letting me down,need to get rid of this "it'll be grand" attitude quick but then i keep saying it'll be grand :/

I'm the exact same. I'm lucky my pres aren't until the 18th Feb. I keep putting things off and I know I won't be grand but I'm still doing nothing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

mine are after midterm as well, 5 weeks to study hard now!!......hopefully anyway :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

It's in CIT and there's Bar Supervision in Athlone IT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

Speaking of level 6/7's, basket weaving for the mad craic anyone? :p

• Advertisement

Speaking of level 6/7's, basket weaving for the mad craic anyone? :p

I'm always so disappointed when people talk about that and jam making, it doesn't exist! I've looked cover to cover in the CAO handbook and not a mention of it anywhere!

I'm always so disappointed when people talk about that and jam making, it doesn't exist! I've looked cover to cover in the CAO handbook and not a mention of it anywhere!
    Oh it exists ;) You just don't apply through CAO it seems

http://www.qualifax.ie/qf/QFPublic/?Mainsec=courses&Subsec=course_details&ID=37271&CSH_ID=18

I though it was an urban myth too :p And get outta here with your jam making. You city folk and your ambition. I could never hope to make it as an established jam maker :(

Oh it exists ;) You just don't apply through CAO it seems

http://www.qualifax.ie/qf/QFPublic/?Mainsec=courses&Subsec=course_details&ID=37271&CSH_ID=18

I though it was an urban myth too :p And get outta here with your jam making. You city folk and your ambition. I could never hope to make it as an established jam maker :(
    Oh I pine for a life of making a sumptuous jam!

Oh I pine for a life of making a sumptuous jam!

Cool, if ya ever need a basket for distribution you know where to find me...

Oh no the DCG project is coming to an end! I'll no longer be able to blame my lack of study on it! Now my lack of study will be simply caused by my laziness!

Anyone have any tips on studying biology?

Doing really bad in it at the moment because of the rubbish teacher I have and her notes are no use what's so ever :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Do most of ye guys learn off answers for geography?
    I honestly think I will pretty much have all my answers just learnt off because the exam is so tight for timing! It is pretty ridiculous that they don't allocate more time for it :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

We had a four hour revision course for English today in our school. One of the speakers was an advising examiner. Really great talk, helped us out so much on Paper 1, which was my weakest part (part B's mostly). Feel much more confident now that I understand the marking scheme/what examiners are looking for. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Parawhore.xD

kevin12345 wrote: »
    We had a four hour revision course for English today in our school. One of the speakers was an advising examiner. Really great talk, helped us out so much on Paper 1, which was my weakest part (part B's mostly). Feel much more confident now that I understand the marking scheme/what examiners are looking for. :)

Care to enlighten us on what the general gist of it was? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Jade. wrote: »
    Anyone have any tips on studying biology?

Doing really bad in it at the moment because of the rubbish teacher I have and her notes are no use what's so ever :P

Make your own notes! Just flick through each chapter and take down the necessary diagrams and definitions. Also use mnemonics (I think this is what they're called) such as: plumule = shoot; radicle = root

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Not gonna let us in on any secrets no? :pac:

Care to enlighten us on what the general gist of it was? :)

Oh yeah sorry. :p Each of us got this booklet with sample answers from every aspect of Paper 1 and Paper 2, and on the right hand side of each page it had where marks were given.

For poetry he said you will generally be asked a question about the poet's content and style, and every time you mention content, or style, the examiner writes C or S in the column, which is where they add up your marks. Anything irrelevant will be marked N (for narration) and no marks will be given.

For comparative, you must compare your texts as much as possible in each paragraph, and every time you the examiner sees this, they will write C (for comparison). He also said there is no need to include quotes for the Comparative:D But for Macbeth and poetry they are obviously essential.

He also said students pick up the most marks with the Personal Essay option for Composing. What most students don't know is that the Personal Essay can be written in a short-story form, but you MUST include, I, My, Me, most of the time.

EDIT: Oh and he said do not attempt the short story option unless your teacher says you are good at them! DO NOT use essays you find online, he said there are essays floating about online/in grinds schools about a girl finding out she's pregnant/a boy being impailed by a fence/puppies under a bridge, which hundreds of students use ever year, and get minimal amount of marks because the story wasn't original.

Sorry I really didn't explain that as well as I could have. :rolleyes: Ye probably know most of it already, but if there's anything else ye want to know I can look through the book and let ye know. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

He also said students pick up the most marks with the Personal Essay option for Composing. What most students don't know is that the Personal Essay can be written in a short-story form, but you MUST include, I, My, Me, most of the time.

EDIT: Oh and he said do not attempt the short story option unless your teacher says you are good at them! DO NOT use essays you find online, he said there are essays floating about online/in grinds schools about a girl finding out she's pregnant/a boy being impailed by a fence/puppies under a bridge, which hundreds of students use ever year, and get minimal amount of marks because the story wasn't original.

Sorry I really didn't explain that as well as I could have. :rolleyes: Ye probably know most of it already, but if there's anything else ye want to know I can look through the book and let ye know. :)

So does that mean, if you write a short story...you essentially have to be the one telling the story?! You can't be the narrator since you have to include "my, myself and I" etc? :eek:

Thanks for the advice though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

You know for the comparative? How many comparisons would ye roughly be making per essay? I think the main problem I have is that I don't compare enough, to estimate I'd say I'd get ten-ish comparisons in an essay. Which doesn't sound great to me actually. :confused: I dunno, I find it difficult to be constantly making comparisons aaaall the time but that's probably what I should be doing. Hate not feeling sure about these things...

So does that mean, if you write a short story...you essentially have to be the one telling the story?! You can't be the narrator since you have to include "my, myself and I" etc? :eek:

Thanks for the advice though! :)

No sorry, like I said, I didn't really explain it properly. :p If you are doing the Personal Essay option, you CAN write it as if LIKE a short-story. For example, in the booklet there was an example, "Write a Personal Essay on the topic 'Homelessness'." Now even though it was a personal essay, the student wrote it as if it was a short story, where they WERE the homeless person, how they felt, how they got to be homeless in the first place. What sets it apart from the short story is the constant use of the words I, Me, My etc.

A short story has a conflict and a climax/resolution. However if you write a personal essay in the style of a short story, it doesn't have to have a conflict/climax. :)

I am HORRIBLE at explaining things second-hand. :p

Slow Show wrote: »
    You know for the comparative? How many comparisons would ye roughly be making per essay? I think the main problem I have is that I don't compare enough, to estimate I'd say I'd get ten-ish comparisons in an essay. Which doesn't sound great to me actually. :confused: I dunno, I find it difficult to be constantly making comparisons aaaall the time but that's probably what I should be doing. Hate not feeling sure about these things...

My teacher has told us that you are marked solely on comparisons. So basically the more comparisons you make the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

No sorry, like I said, I didn't really explain it properly. :p If you are doing the Personal Essay option, you CAN write it as if LIKE a short-story. For example, in the booklet there was an example, "Write a Personal Essay on the topic 'Homelessness'." Now even though it was a personal essay, the student wrote it as if it was a short story, where they WERE the homeless person, how they felt, how they got to be homeless in the first place. What sets it apart from the short story is the constant use of the words I, Me, My etc.

A short story has a conflict and a climax/resolution. However if you write a personal essay in the style of a short story, it doesn't have to have a conflict/climax. :)

I am HORRIBLE at explaining things second-hand. :p

Ah okay! I understand! You're not that bad at explaining, I just read it wrong, thanks for the help! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Slow Show wrote: »

It's nothing got to do with the number of comparisons or contrasts you make.. Each question has codes by which they are marked.
    For example, the 2007 cultural context question:
    "The cultural context can have a significant influence on the behaviour of the central characters in a text."
    Compare the way in which the behaviour of the central characters in at least two of your texts ar influenced by Cultural Context of these texts.

The coding for this question would be:
    CC: Comparisons/Contrasts
    BI: Behaviour is influenced

So your answer must focus on comparing how behaviour is influenced by different aspects cultural context in each of your texts.

So you pick three aspects: Family, gender roles, wealth.
    Then you do an introduction, a point for each of these aspects and how they influence behaviour of characters in each text, and a conclusion.

Within each point you must discuss at least 2 texts, preferably 3. If you choose to use 2 texts, stick with these 2 throughout.

Example of point on wealth.
    Mena in "Sive" is highly influenced by wealth, in that she essentially sells Sives hand in marriage. Her discussion with Tomasheen strongly suggests this fact when she says... In contrast to this, we see how Theo in "Children of Men" is unaffected by wealth, Due to his stronger character and integrity. We see this in a key moment when ...Similarly to Theo, Ifeoma in "Purple Hibiscus" is a strong willed, proud individual who will not allow her morals or integrity to be compromised by wealth. This is highlighted when...

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

Out of curosity, how much does your teachers tell ye to write for the essay in english?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

kingcobra wrote: »
    Make your own notes! Just flick through each chapter and take down the necessary diagrams and definitions. Also use mnemonics (I think this is what they're called) such as: plumule = shoot; radicle = root

Just earlier in school TODAY I thought of that mnemonic. It's weird seeing it here the day I just thought of it too. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement