Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane Concert 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭davedfc

Any idea when this will be announced? Love slane concerts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Around what date will the Slane concert be does anyone know?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I would'nt be surprised if there wont be a Slane this with all those Pheonix Park gigs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Highly doubt there will be a Slane this year.

If last year's Oxegen would be anything to go by MCD will be putting all of their time and effort into the organising of these Phoenix Park gigs.

Foo Fighters should play one of the park gigs as its still uncertain whether or not they would be big enough to sell out Slane.

Otherwise I don't know who else will be able to play Slane, wait till next year I have reason to believe the 2013 headliner will be AC/DC:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Francis H Murphy

AC/DC plan to release a new album in 2012 and tour again in 2013 so a slane gig could be a runner.

• Advertisement

Yea id hope ACDC do Slane 2013 (but we always say the same thing every year)

Yea id hope ACDC do Slane 2013 (but we always say the same thing every year)

Next year is different.

Its AC/DC's 40th anniversary.

karaokeman wrote: »
    Next year is different.

Its AC/DC's 40th anniversary.

Touche ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

But Metallica's 30th anniversary is this year. Totally fitting they should be announced :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭bren2001

But Metallica's 30th anniversary is this year. Totally fitting they should be announced :P

http://www.nme.com/news/metallica/60840

They are touring THIS year. Wouldn't hold my breath for a Slane gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sissorhands

plus they couldn't sell out Slane at all.

bren2001 wrote: »
    http://www.nme.com/news/metallica/60840

They are touring next year. Wouldn't hold my breath for a Slane gig.

The article says they are touring this year (2012) and have some European dates to do over the summer.

I wouldn't totally rule out a Slane date although its unlikely. Maybe if they got a really good support bill it could sell well, surely it wouldn't be too much of a loss to Henry if they got the big 4 and Slane sold 70,000 tickets?

Hey last time they played Dublin it was in August and wasn't announced until April so we could hear from them yet.

If they are touring without any massive supports I reckon they could do a third Marlay Park gig or maybe the O2 early autumn.

I wouldn't totally rule out a Slane date although its unlikely. Maybe if they got a really good support bill it could sell well, surely it wouldn't be too much of a loss to Henry if they got the big 4 and Slane sold 70,000 tickets?

2 early autumn.

I would, because that's an entire loss of €800,000. Metallica could never ever sell out Slane. Not enough people in Ireland care for the big 4 to come to Ireland. The big 4 show could come to marley park and it still wouldn't sell out.

Yea if you even look at the last time Metallica were here they had a pretty decent support bill A7X, Mastodon,AIC and Thin Lizzy(till they pulled out) and still didnt sell out . Mountcharles would not even think of them if they cant even sell out 30,000 let alone 80,000.

I still think with Pheonix Park gigs they will put all time and effort into that and skip Slane till next year . With a rumoured 6ish gigs not sure they will worry about Slane especially with the recessionary times

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭bren2001

The article says they are touring this year (2012) and have some European dates to do over the summer.

Hey last time they played Dublin it was in August and wasn't announced until April so we could hear from them yet.

If they are touring without any massive supports I reckon they could do a third Marlay Park gig or maybe the O2 early autumn.

I seemingly forgot that I just celebrated new years. I meant to say this year all right.

I'd be very surprised if they were announced.

I always thought the reason Metallica couldn't sell out Marlay in 2009 was because they played the year before and both the World Magnetic and European Vacation tours were supporting the same album.

If they only played one date I'd say they could of sold 40,000 tickets but I probably am just getting my hopes up to say they will play Slane.

Maybe just maybe if Ireland is on the cards for the European dates this summer they will do the Phoenix Park.

And yeah the recession probably is a good reason why there will be no Slane.

Yea i think if the do a Pheonix Park gig (presume it will either be Black Sabbath or them) they will need a real strong bill . Eg Someone as big as Tenacious D and also someone not far of the size as Tenacious D.

Perfect example would be Slane 2009

Oasis
    Prodigy
    Kasabian

The 2 support acts were pretty big and Kasabian were about to make it big

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

according to the daily star today coldplay are been tipped for slane this year

davywalsh7 wrote: »

Doubt it. Didn't sell out Oxegen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭simit

God I hope not, they're one of the most boring bands on the planet!

• Advertisement

Doubt it. Didn't sell out Oxegen.

Well tbh , nothing would have sold out Oxegen last year . If Foo Fighters can do Slane so can Coldplay imo . Id be happy either way but id still prefer Foos

Well tbh , nothing would have sold out Oxegen last year . If Foo Fighters can do Slane so can Coldplay imo . Id be happy either way but id still prefer Foos

I doubt Foo's could sell it either. TBH, they should just get Jape to headline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

simit wrote: »
    God I hope not, they're one of the most boring bands on the planet!

I don't understand the popularity of their live shows. Why would you pay to see a live show of basically background music?

Coldplay would be awesome, though I would be surprised if they played Slane.

Saw them at Oxegen last year and they put on one of the best live shows I've ever seen, they really do give it their all and are well worth €80+.

Having said that and while I will always be a massive Coldplay fan, I can't see them selling out Slane.

If they do, ticket prices should be kept as low as possible (also unlikely) seen as how their €80+ Phoenix Park gig only sold a third of the maximum capacity.

There is that and the fact that its after christmas, which will undoubtedly affect ticket sales.

I will go if they are announced but I don't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

Yeah Coldplay at Oxegen 2011 was definitely a highlight for me!

Thing is at Oxegen, Coldplay played alot from their new album which at the time hadn't been released so nobody really knew the songs that well. Now the album has been out for a couple of months there are some totally crackin' songs on it! I'd be happy if Coldplay just played their new album stuff at Slane/Aviva/Phoenix Park because it is really good. Not saying it's their best album but in comparison to other acts that released new albums last year (RHCP etc), it's pretty amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

If they do, ticket prices should be kept as low as possible (also unlikely) seen as how their €80+ Phoenix Park gig only sold a third of the maximum capacity.

While they didn't sell out, they still sold nearly 40,000 tickets for a 45,000 capacity gig. It wasn't the same stage arrangements as RHCP and thus, they weren't (realistically) trying to sell 100,000+ tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

If Slane isn't cancelled this year, as it very well may be, I'd like to see AC/DC play. So long as getting home after the gig isn't a total goatf**k like Punchestown was.

MetalDog wrote: »
    If Slane isn't cancelled this year, as it very well may be, I'd like to see AC/DC play. So long as getting home after the gig isn't a total goatf**k like Punchestown was.

ACDC wont be on tour till at least 2013 . They have only started(or about to) the new record and they said they will take their time and not rush it

MetalDog wrote: »

If AC/DC play Slane it will be next year not this year.

Also I'm pretty sure at this stage there will be no Slane 2012. Someone mentioned Coldplay earlier. I've searched but can't find any recent reports suggesting Coldplay would be on the bill.

I've heard absolutely nothing about whether or not there will be a Slane this year and quite frankly I don't blame Henry for not organising a gig this year in the current economic climate. Christmas sales would have helped but now thats gone so they will need someone really big to headline that is touring this year.

KOL played last year, and they are MASSIVE. Barr AC/DC who definitely won't play until next year I can't really think of anyone else touring this year who would be able to sell out Slane.

U2 might but Bono has said they are unsure about touring this year, so if there are any other bands who could sell it out I'd like to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Don't want to jinx it, but there's rumours about Womack & Womack.

Advertisement