Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane Concert 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

The Stone Roses! Who would have predicted that a year ago?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

The Stone Roses! Who would have predicted that a year ago?!

Is that confirmed?!

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Is that confirmed?!

I wish! No, that would just be a nice surprise if they were to be confirmed. To be honest, both Oxegen and Slane are looking dodgy at this stage. Both have been confirmed before Christmas in previous years. Even Coldplay's gig at the Phoenix Park (September 09) was confirmed in early December the previous year.

Judging by events in Europe earlier tonight, we'll probably be bartering for tickets if they are eventually released!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 downsouth

Any chance of Pearl Jam?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

downsouth wrote: »
    Any chance of Pearl Jam?

Fella on Radio Nova said that he has heard some "rumours" about who is playing, but that he can't say anything. He was told who and when they were playing by someone connected to the promoters(MCD).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Fella on Radio Nova said that he has heard some "rumours" about who is playing, but that he can't say anything. He was told who and when they were playing by someone connected to the promoters(MCD).

Just please be the Foo's :D

Just please be the Foo's :D

GAAAAAAAWD no.

GAAAAAAAWD no.

They are one of the few bands that would actually get me to go to Slane

They are one of the few bands that would actually get me to go to Slane

They're one of the many bands that would make me avoid Slane(and I have).

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sportzstar

Coldplay are a safe enough bet.

They're touring next summer and there's no Irish date announced yet.

• Advertisement

sportzstar wrote: »

They are set for the Aviva according to a hotel website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

That would be savage...

Probably the band of 2011, and their performance at Oxegen was just unforgettable. Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

blue-army wrote: »
    That would be savage...

Probably the band of 2011, and their performance at Oxegen was just unforgettable. Fingers crossed!
    Absolutely bored me sh!tless at Glasto. Found them shockingly plain and over reliant on the stage show

Yaaaawn. This is the whole problem with Slane. "Safe" bets for gigs. Why doesn't 'Enry get some artist that will make punters go "F***in hell, I'll go to that!" :confused: Somebody or some act, that's just that little bit different??

I think Sabbath and Metallica would have this effect....?

At least the gig is actually set to take place though, if Nova are to be believed. 'Mon the Roses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Yaaaawn. This is the whole problem with Slane. "Safe" bets for gigs. Why doesn't 'Enry get some artist that will make punters go "F***in hell, I'll go to that!" :confused: Somebody or some act, that's just that little bit different??

I agree with this, it's the same with Oxegen as well. What made Oxegen 2008 interesting was Rage Against The Machine's surprise announcement as headliners. That made a lot of people really want to go to Oxegen that year. Although I'm not a big fan of them I quite enjoyed their set and it sure as hell was more interesting that seeing some predictable act like The Killers or Kings of Leon.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

You need a safe bet to sell 80k tickets.

You need a safe bet to sell 80k tickets.

Yup thats what im thinking . In this climate Mountcharles will want to get a act that will def sell 80,000 tickets so he might not take a risk on certain acts like BS/Metallica

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Yup thats what im thinking . In this climate Mountcharles will want to get a act that will def sell 80,000 tickets so he might not take a risk on certain acts like BS/Metallica

That or a cheaper act where they can afford to sell fewer tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

I was speaking with Alex Mountcharles at the taste of christmas,

2 little tidbits i got from him where,

- Over the summer Bruce (Springsteen) was over as he wanted a break from Clarence's death and there where talks of a future slane date as he'd love to play again,

When i asked about a gig in 2012 he said they where trying to secure a big act for the castle, I dropped a few names and the one that get a reaction from him was the Foo Fighters, said he's a big fan and would love them to come back.

Just a rumour i know but at least it's a first hand rumour

• Advertisement

To be fair, the official Slane Facebook page said, "Hi Guys, I will let Lord Henry know about your reccommendation- The Stone Roses !!" on October 20th at 12:40 PM IST - that is the only explicit reference that anyone from Slane has made to a band, if my memory serves me correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

metallica are overplayed here in fairness and couldnt sell out marlay park when they were here last

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

davywalsh7 wrote: »
    metallica are overplayed here in fairness and couldnt sell out marlay park when they were here last

Thats said about Green Day too but with Slane you have 50,000 or so who go to every gig there.

I'd say Metallica would sell well if they played, depending on the support bill, but its unlikely their new album will more than likely not be ready till 2013 and even if it is they will probably do two or three dates at the O2 instead.

I would say Foo Fighters are a good bet seen as how they played before but never headlined.
    allanb49 wrote: »
    I dropped a few names

Did you ask him about Red Hot Chili Peppers?

karaokeman wrote: »
    Thats said about Green Day too but with Slane you have 50,000 or so who go to every gig there.

I'd say Metallica would sell well if they played, depending on the support bill, but its unlikely their new album will more than likely not be ready till 2013 and even if it is they will probably do two or three dates at the O2 instead.

I would say Foo Fighters are a good bet seen as how they played before but never headlined.

If it were the Big 4, plus a few other bands, I wonder how well/poorly it would sell....?

allanb49 wrote: »
    I was speaking with Alex Mountcharles at the taste of christmas,

2 little tidbits i got from him where,

- Over the summer Bruce (Springsteen) was over as he wanted a break from Clarence's death and there where talks of a future slane date as he'd love to play again,

When i asked about a gig in 2012 he said they where trying to secure a big act for the castle, I dropped a few names and the one that get a reaction from him was the Foo Fighters, said he's a big fan and would love them to come back.

Just a rumour i know but at least it's a first hand rumour

Yea id say its between Foo Fighters and Stone Roses (unless they do Oxegen etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Yup i said the last good gig was 2003's gig with RHCP, and that's where the foo's came up

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Bloc Party!

When does the act for slane be announced or when was kings of leon announced last year?

When does the act for slane be announced or when was kings of leon announced last year?

Pretty sure KOL were announced about Oct/Nov last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,787 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Headliners The High Kings

Support- Sharon Shannon/Mundy/Christy Moore and Richie Kavanagh

Thats the slane lineup for 2012 :D:D:D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

but with Slane you have 50,000 or so who go to every gig there.

...once.

There is a large-ish percentage of that volume that after experiencing the disproportionate negatives with the Slane venue vow to never go back to the place, it is a nightmare place for a gig. See reference any Slane thread in this forum from previous years.
    The more people that go, the more that don't ever want to have to go there again.

Advertisement