Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legalize Cannabis Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 seoirserob

There are a lot more uses for it than just old smoke. As I remember from economic history, it was one belief that the cotton industry push for de legalising it in the first place. By making it legal again we could open up the window for an extremely useful crop. While it is possible to currently grow the plant for other uses ( no females ), the legal wranglings and, bad associations society has heaped upon it, keeps it from being considered more widely. Queen Elizabeth the first once had a law that a percentage of all crop land must be for growing cannabis, it was far too useful to neglect. These days you can even make forms of plastic out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 seoirserob

. . . and isn't it a relative of the common nettle? Those are strong genes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 paul26

champski wrote: »
    I used to enjoy a smoke in my younger days(still do occasionally) and it never did me any harm. I was on a national martial arts squad and held a 4 nations belt in another discipline so it didn't rob me of my ambition or drive.

Me too smoke nearly everynight and have since I was 15, I have a masters degree in Air transportation, I hold a very successful job role, I also own a small company, and I would say I live very well provide a excellent life for my family. What harm am I doing by smoking a couple of plants that is obviously not doing me any harm. What gives you the right to take this away from me. God put these plants on the earth just like he put food and everything else for us to enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    I've been around a lot of people who've stopped too and never seen anything like this. I've seen people quit smoking cigarettes and it had a noticable effect on them, the two aren't comparable at all. I've quit smoking cigarettes and it was tough going with lots of side effects, yet I take several months breaks from weed and have never had anything noticable.

Same here, and similar tales from my peers.
    These would be fellas and girls that were starting a family, or trying to get fitter etc.
    No problems quitting from what they told me.
    paul26 wrote: »
    Me too smoke nearly everynight and have since I was 15, I have a masters degree in Air transportation, I hold a very successful job role, I also own a small sound and lighting company, and I would say I live very well provide a excellent life for my family. What harm am I doing by smoking a couple of plants that is obviosly not doing me any harm. What gives you the right to take this away from me. God put these plants on the earth just like he put food and everything else for us to enjoy.

But it's possible you may be in the Matrix.
    When in reality you are a couch potato who has been on benefits their whole life.
    Sarcasm off/

mikom wrote: »
    Same here, and similar tales from my peers.
    These would be fellas and girls that were starting a family, or trying to get fitter etc.
    No problems quitting from what they told me.

But it's possible you may be in the Matrix.
    When in reality you are a couch potato who has been on benefits their whole life.
    Sarcasm off/

I actually gave it up before myself and was no problem staying off it for a while. After being off it for a year, I just decided to go back on it because I just love smoking it so much. Its only mentally addictive like the way, you get addicted to having a good time. Its like If you went somewhere on a holiday and you had a really good time would you go back to the same place again cos you had a really good time.

I used to smoke cigarettes and I had an awfull time coming off them now that was addiction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Well in that case you may as well say there is no such thing as clean sirloin steak, maple syrup, or salt.

I sit corrected and gobsmacked, see here about salt:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21128215.300-salt-or-cocaine-a-fix-is-a-basic-instinct.html

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 champski

yop wrote: »
    Back seat modding also incurs a ban..... also is using offensive language.

Leave the modding to the mods, you obviously don't understand the rules. :cool:

Thats a little insulting... Who moderates the moderater;)

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

You should all read this, it's funny http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-pro-marijuana-arguments-that-arent-helping/

But no, I think it's a dumb idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 champski

Thats it I'm going getting some right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

yop wrote: »
    Leave the modding to the mods, you obviously don't understand the rules. :cool:

But I do, and don't see any offences, just an over zealous mod who likes the sound of his/her own voice

• Advertisement

Naomi00 wrote: »

But no, I think it's a dumb idea.

Good argument.
    Care to explain why.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    But I do, and don't see any offences, just an over zealous mod who likes the sound of his/her own voice

Go read the rules and post on the topic if you have something to add, if you dont then let it go.
    Your just digging at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

champski wrote: »
    Thats it I'm going getting some right now

Good choice..weed.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Good argument.
    Care to explain why.

Ah, campaginer people love arguing :p

Well I don't like the idea of people going around high in public number 1.

Most of the health 'benefits' are total B.S. I know it's good for certain diseases and maybe they could be given it from a doctor (but as a last resort or taken seriously). BBC3 made a good non-biased documentary on this a few months ago.

They went to a place where it was legalised as 'medicinal' which was a complete joke. If they told a 'doctor' that they had a headache they could smoke cannabis.

Anyway can't be bothered arguing with ye right now. I think the gardaí shouldn't take people smoking cannabis too seriously. I don't think you should go to jail for smoking it (lots of them grow their own) but I think they should take the dealers seriously though because they're up to no good.

Anyway you should read the article I posted earlier. Why can't people just admit they just want to smoke it to get high, and not have to pretend it's going to save to world or something :pac:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

As well as the previous warning on this thread other mods who have reviewed this thread have suggested that those who are questioning the modding are banned, the rules are there.

PogMoThoin has been banned and champski has got a warning since they are new.

Also dragging the thread off topic and foul language will not be tolerated.

No more warnings, straight off bans will be given.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭neiphin

Most of the health 'benefits' are total B.S. I know it's good for certain diseases and maybe they could be given it from a doctor (but as a last resort or taken seriously). BBC3 made a good non-biased documentary on this a few months ago.

They went to a place where it was legalised as 'medicinal' which was a complete joke. If they told a 'doctor' that they had a headache they could smoke cannabis.

Anyway can't be bothered arguing with ye right now. I think the gardaí shouldn't take people smoking cannabis too seriously. I don't think you should go to jail for smoking it (lots of them grow their own) but I think they should take the dealers seriously though because they're up to no good.

Anyway you should read the article I posted earlier. Why can't people just admit they just want to smoke it to get high, and not have to pretend it's going to save to world or something :pac:
    excellent post

You better stay home tomorrow so.

Link out of courtesy....

A joke, maybe, but certainly more safe and civilised than an MS sufferer buying sand and silica coated weed off a dealer.
    Where would you prefer to buy yours?
    Which is a bigger joke?

Would you prefer to buy a warm unregulated pint of beer off a shady guy on a street corner or from an off licence?

Anyway you should read the article I posted earlier.

You'll forgive me if I find an article from the humor site cracked.com to be lacking in authority on this subject.

Why can't people just admit they just want to smoke it to get high, and not have to pretend it's going to save to world or something :pac:

Check my post history on this thread as I have made no such claims.

Double post..... sorry.

Well people are already going around and getting high, and decriminalization proves from Portugal that less people will smoke it.
    http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1893946,00.html
    http://healthland.time.com/2010/11/23/portugals-drug-experience-new-study-confirms-decriminalization-was-a-success/
    Most of the health 'benefits' are total B.S. I know it's good for certain diseases and maybe they could be given it from a doctor (but as a last resort or taken seriously)
    Oh really, B.S. Well curing cancer doesn't seem like B.S to me.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ypbNYYMPXg & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjhT9282-Tw If you watch these videos its seem as rather than having it as a last resort it should be a first resort.
    . BBC3 made a good non-biased documentary on this a few months ago.
    Since when were the BBC non-biased. I think you'll find your problem is that you rely on the mainstream media as a legit and non-biased source of info. Come on BBC are propaganda machines, fueled by the multi billion dollar corporations which will loose billions of dollars due to marijuana being decriminalized.

Please inform yourself and watch this documentary and you will find that it is a much more un-biased doc than the BBC.
    video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9077214414651731007

Anyway can't be bothered arguing with ye right now.

If you cant be bothered arguing then why are you here.
    Why can't people just admit they just want to smoke it to get high, and not have to pretend it's going to save to world or something :pac:
    If it didn't make me high I wouldn't bother with it. Its the only reason I smoke it. If you took the time to read some of the posts other people and I have wrote you would see and this is something that YOU just don't want to admit. That marijuana has the potential to to save the world from alot of the problems that exist today.

1. Global warming - Bio fuel, while growing converts as much C02 to oxigen as it produces while being burnt in cars. Thats global warming solved.

2. Medication - replace alot of pharmasuiticles, with non synthetic natural medicine. Cure cancer and many other illness.

3. Produce cheaper fiber than cotton. And more human friendly materials.

4. The worlds paper could be made from hemp, reducing the amount of rain forests been cut down.

5. Alot of other materials such as insulation in house could be replaced with hemp which would be much more environmentally friendly and human friendly than fiber glass and the likes.

So whether you like it or not the facts show that if decriminalized and brought back into use it actually could save the world from most of the threats to our society today.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭sdiff

So you don't want it legal but at the same time you think gardai shouldn't take the use seriously but they should take the dealers seriously? Isn't that a contradiction? I agree, drug dealers are often part of criminal gangs and the drug being illegal funds these criminal gangs. Surely legalizing is the best way to get rid of these gangs? you said yourself that gardai shouldn't take use seriously so I think you just inadvertently argued for the legalization there. :)
    I can't really dispute the rest of your post since there aren't any valid reasons there to not legalize it.

• Advertisement

The hemp that could be used for clothing and food production will not get you high. The compounds in grass that have medical value are not THC. Its always amusing to hear the weed smokers shouting for freedon, a minority view that is very intraverted. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

You probably wouldn't even know that they were high, two years ago I used to smoke quite a lot of cannabis and go out in public while i was high and no one knew or even suspected it, which indicates that it didn't have a significant effect on how I acted in public, it just improved my mood and made me more relaxed, as for the place where you can get medicinal cannabis for a headache I assume you mean California?

Well from what I've heard that's true but if anything i think that's even more reason to legalize it, you don't see doctors in California giving out valium for every little thing do you? So they must believe that it can be smoked with no adverse side effects.

Should it be given out without much of a reason in a country where it's not actually legal? Not really but if you do suffer from regular headaches it would actually benefit you, infact the only ailment or cause of discomfort that smoking cannabis wouldn't help in any way are severe toothaches.

And cracked.com isn't a serious website at all and anything that's on it should be taken with a pinch of salt as the vast majority could well be untrue.

Oldtree wrote: »
    The hemp that could be used for clothing and food production will not get you high. The compounds in grass that have medical value are not THC. Its always amusing to hear the weed smokers shouting for freedon, a minority view that is very intraverted. :rolleyes:

Yes that is true the hemp used for clothes can not get you high as it is hulled marijuana seed, something like %0.3 THC.

But yes thc and cannabinoids are the medical values of the plant im afraid oldtree, and these are the same chemicals that get you high.

Just watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjhT9282-Tw

CBD's dont get you high but may have use for pain relief. Very limited claims of THC being of any medical value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

How is it a great cause ?

Obviously never been stoned

:D

Great news for the legalisation crew. A new almost instant drug test for police:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21128224.800-drug-driving-test-at-your-fingertips.html

:P

Great news for the legalisation crew. A new almost instant drug test for police:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21128224.800-drug-driving-test-at-your-fingertips.html

:P

Good.
    Driving under the influence is not on.

Good luck paying for the test however as the state can barely afford a spare pair of laces for our guards boots.

CBD's dont get you high but may have use for pain relief. Very limited claims of THC being of any medical value.

Not true, their are lots of claims of THC as having medical value. Their is actually more claims as thc having a medical value. But both in the conjunction with each other has the most medical values.

Time to follow the money?
    High Hopes at Miracle-Gro in Medical Marijuana Field

Scotts Miracle-Gro Co. has long sold weed killer. Now, it's hoping to help people grow killer weed.

In an unlikely move for the head of a major company, Scotts Chief Executive Jim Hagedorn said he is exploring targeting medical marijuana as well as other niches to help boost sales at his lawn and garden company.

Sixteen states have legalized medical marijuana, the largest being California and Colorado. The market will reach $1.7 billion in sales this year, according to a report by See Change Strategy LLC, an information data services company.

Sales at Scotts rose 5% last year to $2.9 billion. But the Marysville, Ohio, company relies on sales at three key retailers—Home Depot Inc., Lowe's Cos. and Wal-Mart Stores Inc.—for nearly two-thirds of its revenue. With consumers still cautious about spending, the retailers aren't building new stores as quickly as they used to, making growth for suppliers like Scotts harder to come by. Against that backdrop, Mr. Hagedorn has pushed his regional sales presidents to look for smaller pockets of growth, such as the marijuana market, that together could produce a noticeable bump in sales.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304665904576383832249741032.html?mod=WSJ_hp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsThird

• Advertisement

Time to follow the money?

Just imagine how much Ireland could make off this if it was legalized, we could get a head on the market before other countries do. It will be legalized sooner or later, so why not get a head start while were in the recession.

Advertisement