Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alert: New Ferguson HD DTT/Sat Combo Box - €63 before postage

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

iba wrote: »
    STB,

Why do u think Ferguson put these apps on the box then, whats the point?

Regards

Iba

Selling point. Unfortunately these boxes depend on changes not being made to the API when the site owners move stuff around. This is the type of stuff you wouldn't notice on your laptop/PC as your surfing live with the updated links. Think of this way. You bookmark something on your PC and go to revist it but the site gives you a 404 as the link has moved. Same idea but the API just fails on boxes as it doesnt operate through a browser.

Zab wrote: »
    Well, I doubt you've broken it at this point anyway. Try from another firmware backup or download a fresh copy.

His problem is the cable from the dish not the firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

STB wrote: »
    His problem is the cable from the dish not the firmware.
    Thanks ZAB, i downloaded it again and deleted everything else off the usb and tried it and it worked, knew it wasnt the dish or cables. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

STB wrote: »
    Selling point. Unfortunately these boxes depend on changes not being made to the API when the site owners move stuff around. This is the type of stuff you wouldn't notice on your laptop/PC as your surfing live with the updated links. Think of this way. You bookmark something on your PC and go to revist it but the site gives you a 404 as the link has moved. Same idea but the API just fails on boxes as it doesnt operate through a browser.

Thanks very much 4 explaining that to me, cheers.

dave98 wrote: »
    Thanks ZAB, i downloaded it again and deleted everything else off the usb and tried it and it worked, knew it wasnt the dish or cables. Thanks

Sounded that way from the symptoms you were describing. So the flash was corrrupt. Not very common. In any event I am glad you are sorted dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭gooner99

Hi All. I have and argus mini 2in1 and very happy with it for my needs. But now I need a basic combo box to replace current fta sat box for family holiday home.Just basic functions needed, ability to watch saorview (singnal available / already checked) and fta sat stations.I've come accross these refurb 120 boxes. What do you guys make of them, are they good value for the money or should they be avoided in refurb condition?

As I said just want something basic and pretty reliable.

http://www.tvtrade.ie/ferguson-ariva-120-hd-combo.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

That page says "out of stock" and you can get the newer 150 model brand new for a little more .

gooner99 wrote: »
    Hi All. I have and argus mini 2in1 and very happy with it for my needs. But now I need a basic combo box to replace current fta sat box for family holiday home.Just basic functions needed, ability to watch saorview (singnal available / already checked) and fta sat stations.I've come accross these refurb 120 boxes. What do you guys make of them, are they good value for the money or should they be avoided in refurb condition?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Do yourself a favour and buy the newer model for a little bit more.

http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/Ariva-150-combo.html#aFerguson150Combo

Check out above. Great customer service from above store. Get a discount by using Boards.ie as coupon code..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭gooner99

Tony wrote: »
    That page says "out of stock" and you can get the newer 150 model brand new for a little more .

Dooh didn't notice the out of stock. No panic at the minute. Maybe these type boxes will come down due to newer models or post DSO demand dropping. We can only live in hope!

Maybe these type boxes will come down due to newer models or post DSO demand dropping.

I doubt that since they are priced in US$ which is appreciating against the euro and prices in this sector have been cut to the bone for quite some time.

• Advertisement

Go for the ariva 150

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Just bought the Buffalo HD-EU2 (1TB version) to accompany my Ariva HD 120, but every time I playback a programme recorded in HD she cuts out after a couple of minutes (quick message pops up) download speed too slow . . . . .

It comes preformatted as FAT 32, so I wonder will changing it to NTFS speed it up enough as to make it compatible with the Ariva HD-120, so that it can record/playback in HD. I bought the last one off the shelf without a USB lead so I'm using an old 5ft printer lead I found kocking around.

Might the lead be the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭MenloPete

Don't have a hard drive, so I can't say for sure, but... on my memory stick it allocated all space for pausing live TV and none for Recording. In the menu system, I believe you can set up how you want it split, but initially that gave me the message you have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Apogee

How do you export a file from the ClarkeTech editor for an Ariva 120? I've tried Export with the Ali Generic CAS and saved as a file.udf.

When I then import file.udf using the Ariva editor 2.2.0, all the channel names are garbled. Is this normal?

Apogee wrote: »
    How do you export a file from the ClarkeTech editor for an Ariva 120? I've tried Export with the Ali Generic CAS and saved as a file.udf.

When I then import file.udf using the Ariva editor 2.2.0, all the channel names are garbled. Is this normal?

The Ctech editor that grabs the data from kingofsat ?

Couldnt get that to work Apogee with the Arivas despite the Ali output profile. As you say garbled when exported. Also I stopped using that "Ctech" software as I noticed something in the software which may or may not be a false positive (Malwarebytes will catch it)! Its not official software as you may know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Apogee

Yeah, the CTech software. I was trying to setup a channel with a false SID and a manually set Teletext PID and APID to get RTÉ One Teletext and Radio 1 audio as per this post.

Do you know of any other 3rd party editor for the Ariva where you could manually set the Teletext PID?

Recording issues . . . .

Just bought the Buffalo HD-EU2 (1TB version) to accompany my Ariva HD 120, but every time I playback a HD recording she cuts out after a couple of minutes (quick message pops up) download speed too slow for playback . . . . .

The mains powered buffalo is now formatted as NTFS, but she still struggles with HD playback.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

LordSutch wrote: »
    Recording issues . . . .

Just bought the Buffalo HD-EU2 (1TB version) to accompany my Ariva HD 120, but every time I playback a HD recording she cuts out after a couple of minutes (quick message pops up) download speed too slow for playback . . . . .

The mains powered buffalo is now formatted as NTFS, but she still struggles with HD playback.

Any ideas?

You could try wiping the HDD; create a partition less than the 750GB maximum mentioned in the 120 manual (can create a second partition with the rest of the space) and format the ~700GB partition using the Ariva.
    If it has any auto power-control features, turn them off.

Thanks for that, but even with a 500GB partition it still isnt fast enough, and she's still stalling on HD playback after only 50 seconds!
    funny how it records HD OK but it won't play it back :mad:

Anyway, I am off to exchange it for another WD Passport 1TB (USB powered) which I know isnt recommended, but I do know that it does work 100% for SD & HD recordings. (Be it on my head if the Ariva blows up in a year or two).

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

Ok, need some help here please.

Unpluged a saorview which is getting a reception ok but when I plug in my ariva 120, it says no signal, satelite is fine.

Any idea what the problem might be?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Is the Ariva tuned to the right channel for your area?

slimboyfat wrote: »
    Ok, need some help here please.

Unpluged a saorview which is getting a reception ok but when I plug in my ariva 120, it says no signal, satelite is fine.

Any idea what the problem might be?

When you say you unplugged a saorview, do you mean you unplugged the connection going into your TV and connected it to your box instead?

Did you tune in the stations on the box?

When you say you unplugged a saorview, do you mean you unplugged the connection going into your TV and connected it to your box instead?

Did you tune in the stations on the box?

Had the ariva working prior to this in another house, picking up saorview no problem, so cant see why it just wont plug and play in the new house.

Would I have to re tune the saorview channels again, if so, how is done without losing all the satellite channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭zg3409

Try a Saorview automatic terrestrial scan. They are not plug and play.

zg3409 wrote: »
    Try a Saorview automatic terrestrial scan. They are not plug and play.

True. You will not lose satellite channels by doing this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Had the ariva working prior to this in another house, picking up saorview no problem, so cant see why it just wont plug and play in the new house.

If the new house is in the coverage area of a different transmission site, Saorview will more than likely be broadcast on a different UHF channel to where you originally had the Ariva set up, so you need to retune to find the new frequency.

Would I have to re tune the saorview channels again, if so, how is done without losing all the satellite channels?

In addition to the other replies that you have had - do you even have a Terrestrial aerial?

In addition to the other replies that you have had - do you even have a Terrestrial aerial?
    Unpluged a saorview which is getting a reception ok
    Thats would be a yes :D

Thanks for all your help folks, will go back and try again with this info and hopefully get it ip and running.

Is there a way to record RTE Two in SD with the Ariva 120?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

LordSutch wrote: »
    Is there a way to record RTE Two in SD with the Ariva 120?

No, it can only record what is transmitted ..... which is in HD.

Advertisement