Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alert: New Ferguson HD DTT/Sat Combo Box - €63 before postage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Tony wrote: »
    Heres a new channel list with update for CBS reality which has changed transponders http://www.mediafire.com/?vrf0ku7xu497rdc

You could also just do a transponder scan 11.344 V 27500 and edit on the box and this will mean you will not have to re tune your terrestrial channels . The scan will load channels on the end of your channel list so remember to delete the ones you may not want .

The polarization is H by the way according to lyngsat and just confirmed it with a scan...just thought id update that detail here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

The polarization is H by the way according to lyngsat and just confirmed it with a scan...just thought id update that detail here

That was pointed out a few posts ago

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

That was pointed out a few posts ago

Apologies Tony - am flying through a whole load of online site work here as well while reading a load of stuff :D

Apologies Tony - am flying through a whole load of online site work here as well while reading a load of stuff :D

No need to apologise its no probelm :) I've edited the post in case someone finds it on a search

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭installer

Does anyone have an up to date channel list available for all channels, even the encrypted ones? save me scanning and manually sorting them.
    Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

installer wrote: »
    Does anyone have an up to date channel list available for all channels, even the encrypted ones? save me scanning and manually sorting them.
    Cheers.

PM'd

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

Heres a new channel list with update for CBS reality which has changed transponders http://www.mediafire.com/?vrf0ku7xu497rdc

You could also just do a transponder scan 11.344 H 27500 and edit on the box and this will mean you will not have to re tune your terrestrial channels . The scan will load channels on the end of your channel list so remember to delete the ones you may not want .

Hey, I'm looking into picking up one of these boxes so can't look at the list so is there any place with the current channel listings on it so I can see exactly what I'd be getting on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wardie214

Good site. Very helpful Gerry, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭finto

Still Available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Is it possible to pick up beeb interactive on any transponders??

seligehgit wrote: »
    Is it possible to pick up beeb interactive on any transponders??

Yes a blind scan should work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

11953 27.5 H 2/3 DVB-S QPSK for the Interactive channels from the Beeb.

No discussing card sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

installer wrote: »
    DELETED: NO Discussing card sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Zardoz

NO DISCUSSING CARD SHARING.

NO DISCUSSING CARD SHARING.

No discussing card sharing.

Deleted.No discussing card sharing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Back on topic please people. There is to be NO discussion of card sharing in this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

I'm looking for a combo box that picks up the Saorview & Freesat channels. Up to now I have been waiting and watching to see what systems would be available closer to launch. But now I figure it may be time to invest in the first box before the panic buying starts later in the summer when people realise what those ads on the TV actually mean.

I've been following this thread for some time and I think people seem broadly happy with the box and the service from suppliers. So the box seems to do what I need.

But before I buy my question for the experts is: would you buy this box or would you wait a little longer for another product that is about to launch that I don't know about. To use a smart phone anology I wouldn't want to buy the Samsung Galaxy S2 today only to find out the Galaxy S3 is launching on Thursday.

So buy or not? Please advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Apogee

With electronics, there's invariably something better about to be released in the future.

As you can pick up the Ferguson for €80 or so from Poland, even if something better comes along, it would still work as a cheap combo receiver for a bedroom/kitchen TV.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

touts wrote: »
    To use a smart phone anology I wouldn't want to buy the Samsung Galaxy S2 today only to find out the Galaxy S3 is launching on Thursday.

So buy or not? Please advise.

That is not the way it works. You could buy the S2 today and find out on Thursday that the S3 launches next September, quite some time away.

If you buy a product today and it works today, then it will work well for its normal lifetime. There are no cuurent plans to change the spec over that time frame (4 or 5 years). If a box is good enough for you today, buy it.

A PVR is a better bet for a prime TV in the livingroom, a combi will fill in until one is available and can then be moved to a secondary TV in, say, the kitchen or a bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

OK thanks. I think I'll pick one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Apogee wrote: »
    With electronics, there's invariably something better about to be released in the future.

As you can pick up the Ferguson for €80 or so from Poland, even if something better comes along, it would still work as a cheap combo receiver for a bedroom/kitchen TV.

Apogee,

Just wanted to mention, that my box has broken twice and Ive had to send it back to Ferguson - (I bought it from Satskelp) - so I would recommend buying it here in case of breakdown and then its easier to return to be fixed/replaced.

Regards

Iba

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

Can anyone advise what the best type of drive is to go into these boxes? I just received mine and would like to start recording etc. Does it have to be a plug in job?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Can anyone advise what the best type of drive is to go into these boxes? I just received mine and would like to start recording etc. Does it have to be a plug in job?

The manual says an externally powered HDD or a USB flash drive of suitable speed will do.

I suggest you follow the manufacturers instructions and do not use a HDD that is powered from the USB port.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

The manual says an externally powered HDD or a USB flash drive of suitable speed will do.

I suggest you follow the manufacturers instructions and do not use a HDD that is powered from the USB port.

Do they define what a suitable speed is?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Do they define what a suitable speed is?

Not that I recollect

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

These boxes whilst fine for basic reception of both Saorview and UK satellite TV do have limitations. That's why they are cheap.
    If you are using them for just basic TV reception you will not have any issues once:

1. You do not mix channel lists from higher firmware versions than your own firmwares.
    2. You do not ever put patched firmware on the box (The ones ending in B).

If you do you are at risk of losing the Diseq functionality, the recognition of USB drives, stability in channel scanning.

You can blame the unofficial software writers who have used kludged unofficial software from other ferguson receivers and stuck them on the 120s/220s etc without proper testing. ALL of this unofficial software originates from Polish discussion fora who don't know what they are doing as they don't have the source firmware and are guessing when implementing patches from the 102E series etc.

Bottom line, if its working fine now, DO NOT UPDATE THE FIRMWARE.

Advertisement