Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Two HD on Sky [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Manc-Red wrote: »
    Looking good now.... 16/9 :)

screenshot27.jpg

Is that a huge artefact band down the middle?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hmm, ya know the way you can make the SkyHD box have HD programming highlighted in yellow?

I would assume that this will also apply to RTE2 HD, assuming the HD content is flagged properly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

So what happens in October when Sky dont have a standard definition version of RTE2HD ?

Will it just vanish from Sky SD boxes ? Surely they wont be allowed reencode a HD only branded station.

Elephant in the room, big business and all that.:)

STB wrote: »
    So what happens in October when Sky dont have a standard definition version of RTE2HD ?

Will it just vanish from Sky SD boxes ? Surely they wont be allowed reencode a HD only branded station.

Elephant in the room, big business and all that.:)

Most likely they're using the same SD feed as for UPC. I doubt they're making it HD only.

Karsini wrote: »
    Most likely they're using the same SD feed as for UPC. I doubt they're making it HD only.

RTE2HD will not be available in standard definition format terrestrially after October, 2012. It will be a HD only station.

Sky and UPC have requested the HD branded station under the must offer rule. Do you think that should allow them to carry the station in a format other than it is broadcast in, in order to save them money via having to supply their customers with HD boxes for reception of a HD service.

If that is the case they shouldn't have requested the station under the must offer rule as it is clear that they weren't in a position to carry the station in its native video format at no extra charge to the customer.

Section 77, Broadcasting Act 2009 afaik.

• Advertisement

Terrestrially is the operative word. Dropping the SD feed on cable and satellite would be corporate suicide.

Terrestrially is the operative word. Dropping the SD feed on cable and satellite would be corporate suicide.

Actually "broadcast" is the operative word.

And there lies the 22.

Ministerial consent was given for RTE2HD as a new channel. The SD (analogue) station would be dropped at ASO, and is only available in HD format terrestrially to those with MPEG4 H264 L4 DVB-T boxes or IDTV - SD MPEG4 boxes don't work. It is not broadcast as a SD station like the BBCs etc.

Big business wins. Sky/UPC will be allowed to request the specific new RTE2HD station as it suits them to have it as a selling point, but will re-encode it as SD. A HD branded station.

Who is worth more to whom ? Wouldn't like to be in that position.

Tail is wagging the dog (RTE2HD dog) in this case. Quite embarrassing.
    Section 77 Broadcsting Act

(12) RTÉ, TG4 and the television service programme contractor shall ensure that their must-offer services are at all times offered for broadcast or re-transmission (subject to agreement as to fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory terms of use) by means of every satellite television service.

(17) In this section—

“ must-offer service ” means a free-to-air television service provided for the time being by RTÉ, TG4 and the free-to-air service provided under section 70 by the television service programme contractor;

“ re-transmission ” means near-simultaneous, unaltered and unabridged transmission;

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Who would want to watch RTE 2 any way its pure crap on there, TV3 and RTE1 on the other channels would be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Pat, could you do us a favour & not bother posting in these forums?

Pat, could you do us a favour & not bother posting in these forums?

WHY??? all i was saying was RTE 2 is a rubbish station and why aint the RTE1/TV3 on other channels listings,so no big deal just a question! hope i did not offend you saying RTE 2 is rubbish as half the country would agree with me!

• Advertisement

patwicklow wrote: »
    WHY??? all i was saying was RTE 2 is a rubbish station and why aint the RTE1/TV3 on other channels listings,so no big deal just a question! hope i did not offend you saying RTE 2 is rubbish as half the country would agree with me!

They aren't because there's no HD feeds of these channels yet. The SD feeds are in the EPG as normal.

They aren't because there's no HD feeds of these channels yet. The SD feeds are in the EPG as normal.

Thank you for the answer at least now i know instead of being told to shut up in the forums! thanks Karsini.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

I wonder what number it will be on the epg. 116 ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

161?

Feckin deadly!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Johnny Johnson

I wonder what number it will be on the epg. 116 ??

102 on HD boxes surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

102 on HD boxes surely.

I hope you're right. It's curious though that Sky has so far not used the epg from 115 - 120 in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes it will be transparent. SD boxes will get SD and HD boxes HD on 102. Only if you have a subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

watty wrote: »
    Yes it will be transparent. SD boxes will get SD and HD boxes HD on 102. Only if you have a subscription.

Do you mean a HD subscription?
    I have a HD box and a Sky subscription but could never justify the €15 extra for HD programs.

Will non-HD Sky customers get the HD RTE 2 on the EPG?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Flyer28 wrote: »
    Do you mean a HD subscription?
    I have a HD box and a Sky subscription but could never justify the €15 extra for HD programs.

I reckon so.Might be on a different number than 102 though which will probably be SD by default.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

zerks wrote: »
    I reckon so.Might be on a different number than 102 though which will probably be SD by default.

yeah, I mean we have BBC HD so cant see why not

yeah, I mean we have BBC HD so cant see why not

BBC HD and BBC One HD are FTA. I wouldn't use them as any sort of barometer for RTE Two HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Fantastic, thanks OP.

Now hopefully it will be on the EPG soon so I can record things.

It'll be great for sport because the picture quality on RTE SD is terrible. It'll also be great for watching those 'Neighbours' girls in sparkling high definition :D ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

BBC HD and BBC One HD are FTA. I wouldn't use them as any sort of barometer for RTE Two HD.

True, but FTA does not equal EPG placement. Sky done a deal with the BBC to get them on the ROI EPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

Flyer28 wrote: »

I would expect any customer that has any subscription and a HD capable box will receive the station. However this is totally up to Sky. During the tests it seems as if a non HD subscription card is working.

HD boxes have been provided as standard to all new customers, for at least the main TV, for at least the past year, even if they never ever signed up to HD. For those out of contract, they could haggle for a box upgrade.

I would expect it will automatically be at 102. BBC HD is a different number as it carries different content to other channels.

I would expect the HD channel to carry the HD logo, while those without a HD box will get the SD version minus the logo

This is messy as RTENL then needs to provide a logo HD version and a non logo SD version to Sky. If the logo was gone, they could (if allowed) let Sky do the downscaling. I would expect the logo to also appear/dissapear on analogue/digital SD/digital HD cable TV.

It's a pity for competition, as RTENL was promoting Saorview in the past as "the only place to get RTE2 in HD". Some people even had a Sky box AND a saorivew box just to watch the HD content.

However anyone now selling an unused Sky HD box can now recommend it to current Sky customers who want to upgrade from a SD box to a HD box, without upgrading their subscription. They will get extra channels such as BBC HD and RTE2HD (assuming they have a ROI subscription)

I wonder will Sky follow on if RTE1/TV3 etc all start going HD? Do they have the capacity/funds to add more and more HD channels?

JDxtra wrote: »
    True, but FTA does not equal EPG placement. Sky done a deal with the BBC to get them on the ROI EPG.

I am aware of that.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

zg3409 wrote: »

This is messy as RTENL then needs to provide a logo HD version and a non logo SD version to Sky. If the logo was gone, they could (if allowed) let Sky do the downscaling. I would expect the logo to also appear/dissapear on analogue/digital SD/digital HD cable TV.

RTENL have nothing to do with providing feeds to Sky or UPC. As far as broadcasting is concerned they only look after analogue and Saorview. Soon only Saorview.

The same 16:9 RTE2 SD feed goes to all digital platforms including all graphics, the same RTE2HD goes to all platforms, nothing new has to be done. Nothing will change for SD viewers on UPC or Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭manutd83

If i do the card trick will this then be added to the epg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

subway wrote: »
    Is that a huge artefact band down the middle?

Screen grab on my lappy went crazed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Jon_459

Getting "No signal" error
    What am I missing ?

Advertisement