Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Two HD on Sky [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Beamobhoy

rlogue wrote: »
    For example Channel 4 denied they were making C4 HD FTA until it went FTA.

Hope it's not THAT long!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Ush1 wrote: »
    Oh right. Even the RTE HD logo like isn't as sharp. Is that a screen of what it will look like?

Yes. The logo will not be sharp when upscaling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

Nothing to do with whether Sky want to carry RTE 2 HD or not. I know for sure that RTE will not offer the HD feed of RTE 2 to any other supplier for the moment. The decision is entirely RTE's as they want to give Saorview an advantage over Sky and UPC for a unspecified period of time.

Probably illegal under European law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

rlogue wrote: »
    Nothing to do with whether Sky want to carry RTE 2 HD or not. I know for sure that RTE will not offer the HD feed of RTE 2 to any other supplier for the moment. The decision is entirely RTE's as they want to give Saorview an advantage over Sky and UPC for a unspecified period of time.

Probably illegal under European law.
    It is illegal under EU law and I'm writing to them to point this out. They have to make it available on all platforms as a Public Service Broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

200motels wrote: »
    It is illegal under EU law and I'm writing to them to point this out. They have to make it available on all platforms as a Public Service Broadcaster.

Whatever about European law it is required under Irish legislation and the recent Ministerial Decision included the following
    RTÉ must act so as to ensure the new services and channels are made available on all platforms as soon as practicable in accordance with the “must offer”/“must carry” obligations set out in the Broadcasting Act 2009

this from RTÉ
    RTÉ plans to offer the new channels ‘free-to-air’ on the national Saorview network. After an initial trial period, RTÉ has indicated that they will make these services available to other digital television network providers in accordance with section 77 of the Broadcasting Act 2009 which deals with ‘must carry’ and ‘must offer’obligations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

RTE have past form at ignoring legislation. I always bang on about the lack of an international channel but this is enshrined in the Broadasting Act, 2009. It's therefore no surprise that RTE are now ignoring the law again, this time to give their own operated platform an advantage over other platforms available in the State.

This is what happens when we allow one broadcaster to control the national distribution network. Surely the time has come to separate RTE NL from RTE and ensure NL does not restrict access to Irish channels by other platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No one in NL is restricting access. It's RTE that must decide when the channel is suitably configured to offer to other platforms, not RTE NL.

RTE will make HD available. At the the minute there is hardly any content. UPC and Sky will have RTE2 HD when they want it. There is no conspiracy. RTE is not offering it today for reasonable reasons they have explained and they have committed to offering it when the "bugs" are out of it and likely UPC and Sky don't want it today. When it's up an running properly it will be offered. Don't expect Sky to carry it the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Simpology

I'm not that bothered, you can get ITV HD on sky hd, and the only reason I could see for wanting RTE, is for the footie, RTE usually show the same game on ITV, that game in turn is not available on sky sports, so ITV HD access resolves said issue.

Happy days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Simpology wrote: »
    I'm not that bothered, you can get ITV HD on sky hd, and the only reason I could see for wanting RTE, is for the footie, RTE usually show the same game on ITV, that game in turn is not available on sky sports, so ITV HD access resolves said issue.

Happy days :)

Can I tune in RTE2 HD on my Sky HD Box, like I've tuned In ITV HD?

I'd like to be able to watch the rugby in HD.

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Dinarius wrote: »
    Can I tune in RTE2 HD on my Sky HD Box, like I've tuned In ITV HD?

I'd like to be able to watch the rugby in HD.

Thanks.

D.

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

RTÉ plans to offer the new channels ‘free-to-air’ on the national Saorview network. After an initial trial period, RTÉ has indicated that they will make these services available to other digital television network providers in accordance with section 77 of the Broadcasting Act 2009 which deals with ‘must carry’ and ‘must offer’obligations.

I never did quite understand this ....... if RTÉ are offering the channel/s FTA why are those who take those channels for rebroadcast not forced to also offer them FTA?

That would seem to be the most reasonable way to do it -- to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

RTE 2 HD has now appeared on Sky through other channels. The frequency you will find it on is 10.744 H 22.0 5/6 under the label 1270. This will be a nice surprise for Sky customers in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Brilliant, thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

Do you think its testing to launch?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Just tuned in, have it aswell !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

Great stuff , probably a test allright but glad to have it.
    Thanks for the frequency glimmerman123.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Nice work OP. How does quality look?

copacetic wrote: »
    Nice work OP. How does quality look?
    The quality looks pretty good. It will be interesting to see how long it will take for it to be added to the epg.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

Brilliant! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

So much for RTÉ 2HD being "kept" for Saorview. Yet another blow against DTT.........$ky must be loving this!......probably start advertising it soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Cheers. Also works on Sky UK in NI. So should work in the UK too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Is it encrypted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

So much for RTÉ 2HD being "kept" for Saorview. Yet another blow against DTT.........$ky must be loving this!......probably start advertising it soon!

RTE TWO HD wasn't being "kept for SaorView".
    Nor is it a blow to SaorView - SaorView is nothing more than an analogue replacement system. It's not a commercial service nor is it competing against Sky, UPC or anybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

It seems to be at a higher Bit Rate at the moment anyway:1558 KB/s compared to Terrestrial at 784 KB/s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Cheers. Also works on Sky UK in NI. So should work in the UK too.

Possibly not true. RTE is available on active Sky cards from NI - not cards from the rest of the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 aaron devers

what about rte news?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Great news :D

what about rte news?
    RTE News Now has very limited content at the moment so until RTE add more live news content and cut down on the news repeats i can't see it launching on Sky anytime soon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

pa990 wrote: »
    Is it encrypted?

sky card needed it seems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

What else is on this transponder? Is it the same transponder used for the other Irish channels?

Also, Sky love HD (it's a big earner!). I suppose there is a chance that Sky are paying for all of this, in which case - they're probably only interested in RTE Two HD.

Advertisement