Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Two HD on Sky [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

JDxtra wrote: »
    Possibly not true. RTE is available on active Sky cards from NI - not cards from the rest of the UK.

Slightly off topic, but are the existing RTE, TV3 & TG4 channels available using a Free-To-View NI card?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

RTE One, RTE Two and TG4 are available on an NI card with an active sub. Not TV3.

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_channels_on_Sky. Jump to the Northern Ireland variations section.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

Is it true that with the channel now on satellite, the Bit Rate will be higher then through saorview when RTE are broadcasting native HD content?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Possibly not true. RTE is available on active Sky cards from NI - not cards from the rest of the UK.

I assumed that Sky NI cards would be the same as Sky UK cards. Worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

I assumed that Sky NI cards would be the same as Sky UK cards. Worth a try.
    Sky residential UK subscription cards are assigned to a postcode identifier which allows it to not only allocate channels to relevant packages where appropriate, but also to place the relevant channels in EPG slots for local programming from BBC and ITV, and commercial regions for Channel 4 and Channel 5. I think there's something like over 80 such identifiers, but Northern Ireland (Postcodes beginning with BT) have just one allocation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

??? Its not coming up for me? Just rte1,2 tg4, tv3 and radio channels. No HD

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭elsie1b

After d.s.o what's to stop sky dispensing with the SD version of rte2 ?
    Wouldn't this give people the push to take out a HD sub and more money to sky ?

Getting it here. 4:3 content still stretched, as can be seen with The Simpsons at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

??? Its not coming up for me? Just rte1,2 tg4, tv3 and radio channels. No HD
    You do have a HD box, right? ;)
    elsie1b wrote: »
    After d.s.o what's to stop sky dispensing with the SD version of rte2 ?
    Wouldn't this give people the push to take out a HD sub and more money to sky ?
    I'd imagine that would piddle a lot of their non-HD customers off rightly...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

RTE 2 HD has now appeared on Sky through other channels. The frequency you will find it on is 10.744 H 22.0 5/6 under the label 1270. This will be a nice surprise for Sky customers in Ireland.

Hmmmm...Not showing up on Mine at all...

Would I need to re-boot the box??

I don't have a HD box..Just the Sky +..

But I do have an Openbox S9,,,so it should pop up on that,I presume.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Superb find by the OP - Excellent addition to Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Cheers OP great find ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭thebrush

Wonderful got it! Thank you. On epg soon i assume??

Cheers:D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Thanks for the tip. :) Hopefully it'll be on the EPG soon and some of us won't have to walk in when a sporting event is on and the blurry SD mess is on TV and nobody will switch to Saorview.

On a related note, seeing as RTE have broadcast the channels at 544x576 with lots of artefacting for a while, I wonder how they've suddenly found bandwidth for a HD channel on the same TP, and how it will affect video quality on the SD channels which look rubbish as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Happy Days...working fine for moi, nice addition!

marno21 wrote: »
    On a related note, seeing as RTE have broadcast the channels at 544x576 with lots of artefacting for a while, I wonder how they've suddenly found bandwidth for a HD channel on the same TP, and how it will affect video quality on the SD channels which look rubbish as is.

True. The Irish SD channels have been very poor quality of late on Sky. Not sure if it coincided with the move to Astra 1n or not.

Bad breakup on the channel now. A bit of work still to do I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Bad breakup on the channel now. A bit of work still to do I guess.
    As it's in test mode at the moment no doubt there will be teething problems. :D

Channel now 16:9

Picture breakup to beat the band

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Johnny Johnson

There is no audio for speaking on it now. All I hear is background noise and music. Picture isn't breaking up now.

• Advertisement

There is no audio for speaking on it now. All I hear is background noise and music. Picture isn't breaking up now.

That's mad. It's the background music for the programme but no dialogue.

Karsini wrote: »
    That's mad. It's the background music for the programme but no dialogue.

Audio Track MPEG (English) sorts that issue out guys.

Looking good now.... 16/9 :)

screenshot27.jpg

marno21 wrote: »

Sky Vegas channels were moved off this mux last week and went to 10.921 H.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭warder6161

great picture quality:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Slightly off topic, but I've just noticed that the weekly tv guide in The Irish Sun is now marking the programmes going out in HD on RTE 2, such as Desperate Housewives, Greys Anatomy etc.Maybe they knew about RTE 2HD about to appear on Sky ! At least they are doing something that the RTE Guide and Saorview's own EPG, have yet to do !

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭doney84

Is the HD €15 per month sub needed to view the channel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

mine says insert your sky card i dont have one just the box:mad: and will the rest follow??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

doney84 wrote: »

Unlikely, it's working without the HD sub here.

A shrewd move by Sky indeed :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

doney84 wrote: »

Nope, no HD sub here and it's working for me.

Advertisement