Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Two HD on Sky [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

got an email from the BAI yesterday in response to my complaint confirming the change and that SKY and RTE had been made aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

got an email from the BAI yesterday in response to my complaint confirming the change and that SKY and RTE had been made aware.

So the only reason it's free is that they were made to change it. Good to see them not getting their own way for once!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Is RTE 2 HD really HD ?
    I was watching the Cork-Tipperary match today and the picture was appalling ,I was straining my eye to see the ball.

The picture on RTE 2 SD was like a web stream .
    SD channels seem to be deteriorating every year ,is it some ploy to encourage people to go to HD ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭Brian017

Zardoz wrote: »
    Is RTE 2 HD really HD ?
    I was watching the Cork-Tipperary match today and the picture was appalling ,I was straining my eye to see the ball.

SD channels seem to be deteriorating every year ,is it some ploy to encourage people to go to HD ?

Only select GAA matches are in HD. Think they're showing about 12 in HD with the Kildare vs Meath match next week being the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Johnny Johnson

Is RTE 2 HD really HD ?

It wasn't appalling on my television.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Can anyone confirm if this is the case in Northern Ireland too, or do u have to have the HD pack?

Thanks

I would say you have raised a valid question. Those in NI who are Sky customers should have reasonable expectations to the receive RTE stations without additional charges being lobbed on by Sky.

Broadcasting law requires RTÉ’s radio and television services to have the character of a public service, to be offered free-to-air and to be universally available, where practicable, to the whole community on the island of Ireland.

I would say it would be a practical condition of any must carry offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Is RTE 2 HD really HD ?

Totally agree with this poster - picture was shockingly poor on Saorview and SKY RTE2HD - is any justifiable reason why these games are not shown in HD ? What is relative cost of HD feed versus SD feed ?

Brian017 wrote: »
    Only select GAA matches are in HD. Think they're showing about 12 in HD with the Kildare vs Meath match next week being the first.
    Thanks for the info.

The Kilkenny-Dublin match yesterday looked HD ,picture was sharp,far better than the crap today .

• Registered Users Posts: 45,837 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I watched the England - Italy game tonight on RTE HD (Sky) and the picture quality was great.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Right now RTE are using three types of feed for their GAA broadcasts atm (it's easy to tell by looking at the full 1080i picture and taking a look at the borders).

The HD feeds have no borders (maybe 1/2 pixels but not much). Even when downscaled and upscaled, these still look good.

The first SD feed has black borders, and the other SD feed has black borders with fading grey borders. The feed with fading always looks terrible, and the other one looks alright, but not great.

I'm not sure of the technicalities of these feeds but that's what I've noticed.

The Cork Tipp match today was the feed with the fading edges, and looked very poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

Totally agree with this poster - picture was shockingly poor on Saorview and SKY RTE2HD - is any justifiable reason why these games are not shown in HD ? What is relative cost of HD feed versus SD feed ?

It is probably limited equipment. They would of course like to broadcast everything in HD but for practical reasons budgets are limited and the amount of outside broadcast units that are fully HD are limited.

I agree sports should be given priority over other types of live broadcasts, but cameras, vans, editing suites etc all cost hard cash. RTE budgets are to the bone at the moment, so compromises are inevitable. RTE had intended a whole new set of studios and buildings during the boom but during a bust it's not going to happen.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

had a check on my ariva box last night during the england-italy match and bbc1 hd was broadcasting at around 1900kbs while rte2hd was at 900kbs, almost half the quality and you could see the difference. on the other hand 5USA was broadcasting at 192kbs... yes that low...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Is RTE 2 HD really HD ?

Here is a list of gaa games available: http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2012/0511/320597-vcxvcv/

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

marno21 wrote: »
    Right now RTE are using three types of feed for their GAA broadcasts atm (it's easy to tell by looking at the full 1080i picture and taking a look at the borders).

The HD feeds have no borders (maybe 1/2 pixels but not much). Even when downscaled and upscaled, these still look good.

The first SD feed has black borders, and the other SD feed has black borders with fading grey borders. The feed with fading always looks terrible, and the other one looks alright, but not great.

I'm not sure of the technicalities of these feeds but that's what I've noticed.

The Cork Tipp match today was the feed with the fading edges, and looked very poor.

Exactly right. I've come to notice this too. The live HD feed (as in live Euro 2012 games) has no borders. The studio analysis is SD, but it looks OK. This has black borders around the sides (actually the width of the border changes when they change camera shot (for example from Bill to Eamon :D ).

The one with the fading edges you mention is the one used for some outside broadcasts, I've noticed this on some live Airtricity League games. Looks terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

muffler wrote: »
    I watched the England - Italy game tonight on RTE HD (Sky) and the picture quality was great.

Ya a couple of people in our house remarked on how good the match was on RTE 2HD on sky, flicked between RTE and BBC and on our television at least RTE's picture quality made BBC HD quality look ordinary at best. Well done RTE! .... and I don't say that often :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

Got a similar response by post too.

211254.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Those in NI who are Sky customers should have reasonable expectations to the receive RTE stations without additional charges being lobbed on by Sky.

Careful now :D

Ya a couple of people in our house remarked on how good the match was on RTE 2HD on sky, flicked between RTE and BBC and on our television at least RTE's picture quality made BBC HD quality look ordinary at best. Well done RTE! .... and I don't say that often smile.gif

Except for viewers in NI. Just a blank screen here.

Thank goodness for BBC1 HD (No UTV HD yet either.)

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    Except for viewers in NI. Just a blank screen here.

Thank goodness for BBC1 HD (No UTV HD yet either.)

Can you not get RTE HD on Saorview? Isnt the programming on UTV almost identical to that of ITV anyway except for the news?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭TeaServer

Has RTE2HD disappeared from the Sky EPG for anyone else this evening?

HD+ Box, SD subscription

TeaServer wrote: »

HD+ Box, SD subscription

Channel 227 for me, the number of the channel was changed today.

• Advertisement

TeaServer wrote: »

HD+ Box, SD subscription

It's been moved to 227.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Why did Sky change the channels round?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭TeaServer

p.oconnor wrote: »

Yeah, its the same for me. I was just inputting the old channel number. I probably should have looked through the listing properly!

Thanks

/T

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭paulhardman

p.oconnor wrote: »

Still on 102 for me (Sky+HD box with HD sub)... 227 has the SD version.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Keithl2156

I think there is a problem with either RTÉ or Sky not flagging programmes that should be in HD ?? HD content is available but the orange print (Or yellow on the new EPG) is very scarce even though programmes are In HD ,,

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Keithl2156

Why did Sky change the channels round?

Sky changed the channel line up because the EPG numbers for different sections were up very high e.g some entertainment channels were up at 290 ( sky arts 2 and 297 for RTÉ two HD/SD. so now there is more room to launch new channels without skipping too many numbers

The All Ireland hurling quarter finals today were supposed to be in HD.
    Just watching the highlights now on the Sunday Game and the picture is dreadful for a supposedly HD feed.
    It looks like a mix between SD and HD.
    Very hard to see the ball,the numbers on the players backs are a blur,the hoardings are blurry too and the ball is hard to see.

The contrast between the Olympics in HD and the hurling is startling .

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Both hurling matches were broadcast on RTE 1 today which isn't in HD, that's probably why the highlights look so bad.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Both hurling matches were broadcast on RTE 1 today which isn't in HD, that's probably why the highlights look so bad.
    Fair enough ,I didnt realise that.
    The matches today were supposed to be 2 of the 13 matches broadcast in HD this year but due to the Olympics they only used SD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The All Ireland hurling quarter finals today were supposed to be in HD.
    Just watching the highlights now

Highlights won't be in HD until RTE fully equip their studios for HD.This would take a long time even if they weren't broke.
    Even if the live game is in HD, the highlights will be in SD.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement