Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Two HD on Sky [Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

zerks wrote: »
    Just watch it on BBC hd,simples.

If i wanted to watch it on BBC, why would I be complaining about it being gone on RTE? Anyway it came on at about quarter past 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

BBC aren't showing the games until after the group stages so that's a moot point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

zg3409 wrote: »
    I heard a rumour it might happen last night or today.
    You don't need a HD Sub to Watch RTE 2 in HD via Sky (Just an SD subscription)
    So for those with SD subscriptions and Sky HD boxes tune to 294 for the HD channel.

Wait and see - it might simpy be due to the significant technical issues RTE2 HD had today when it was unavailable to all subscribers.

Theres also the other train of thought that it dawned on RTE that Sat viewers would simpy desert RTE and retune to BBC HD or ITV HD for the Euros.....

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

dan185 wrote: »
    BBC aren't showing the games until after the group stages so that's a moot point.

That game this evening on BBC1 HD must have been an illusion :rolleyes:
    I think you'll find you're misinformed :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

Infoanon wrote: »
    Wait and see - it might simpy be due to

I heard it was to happen either last night or today. The glitch today was probably the switchover to allow SD viewers to view the channel. I think it's too much of a coincidence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Get Saorview - sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

zg3409 wrote: »
    I heard a rumour it might happen last night or today.

You don't need a HD Sub to Watch RTE 2 in HD via Sky (Just an SD subscription)

So for those with SD subscriptions and Sky HD boxes tune to 294 for the HD channel.

I don't know if my letter to the BAI made any difference, (no response as of yet) but I heard the switch may happen, and now it has.

I wonder those who upgraded recently from an SD sub to a HD sub just to get RTE2 can they now cancel without penalty?

Fair dues to whoever got it done. Many thanks. I have RTE2 via Saorivew, Saorsat and now via Sky, however the point was Sky attempting to charge people for a channel a week ago that is free now.

Latest Euros score:
    Sky 0 Joe Public 1 :)

i sent the same letter as well so maybe it did work .. if it did well done

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Just to confirm is RTE HD available to non HD pack customers if you have a HD box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

haha, sorry chaps, last time I trust my dad's waffle!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Shane732 wrote: »
    Just to confirm is RTE HD available to non HD pack customers if you have a HD pack?
    If you have a HD pack then you are a "HD customer" :confused::confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

muffler wrote: »
    If you have a HD pack then you are a "HD customer" :confused::confused:

Apologies I meant to say HD box.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Its on channel 294 now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Wait and see - it might simpy be due to the significant technical issues RTE2 HD had today when it was unavailable to all subscribers.

Theres also the other train of thought that it dawned on RTE that Sat viewers would simpy desert RTE and retune to BBC HD or ITV HD for the Euros.....

There is no train of thought involved. Sky cannot charge their subscribers any extra charges for channels that Sky have sought under the must carry arrangements, especially if their customers have the hardware to decode the HD channels.

Its nothing to do with RTE, it is Sky you need to contact. RTE upheld their end of the agreement by giving Sky the HD channel.

If you have an non subbed Sky HD box already and the HD channel is not clearing complain to Sky and tell them you are going to the BAI next. God knows how many complaints have already been lodged. For those who have paid for HD subscriptions specifically to receive RTE2HD, demand a refund on the HD sub. The Euros and RTE2HD has been one massive mugging exercise for Sky, I suspect.

I am tired of banging on about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

The mods are going to flip if another one of these threads open. The sticky at the top answers your question.

Short answer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

This is not the first time Sky have tried this blocking and fear mongering, When Ireland reached the World Cup back in 2002 they tried pulling the same stunt and even back then 10 years ago boardsies were on their case about it. This has all been a smoke and mirrors operation in an attempt to get people to sign up to uneccesary packages and stop people getting in Saorview.

I think it is high time Sky were regulated in this country and the millions of Euro in VAT that they pay to the UK Government go into the Irish exchequer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

watch it in HD on http://www.aertv.ie/ for free :)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Stinicker wrote: »
    This is not the first time Sky have tried this blocking and fear mongering, When Ireland reached the World Cup back in 2002 they tried pulling the same stunt and even back then 10 years ago boardsies were on their case about it. This has all been a smoke and mirrors operation in an attempt to get people to sign up to uneccesary packages and stop people getting in Saorview.

I think it is high time Sky were regulated in this country and the millions of Euro in VAT that they pay to the UK Government go into the Irish exchequer.

There was no stunt pulled in 2002, just a boards thread with people jumping to conclusions and over the top scare mongering about something that wasn't ever true:confused:

Why on earth would sky have blocked content for their own subscribers in 2002, or have 'scared' people by letting on they would? what possible benefit would it have been to them, it would have made them less likely to get subscribers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

copacetic wrote: »
    There was no stunt pulled in 2002, just a boards thread with people jumping to conclusions and over the top scare mongering about something that wasn't ever true:confused:

Why on earth would sky have blocked content for their own subscribers in 2002, or have 'scared' people by letting on they would? what possible benefit would it have been to them, it would have made them less likely to get subscribers.

To get subscriptions to Sky Sports for to watch the World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

The world cup wasn't on Sky Sports in 2002 or any other year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭batistuta9

sky sports don't show the world cup or euro's or haven't ever

edit: never seen copacetic's post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

I am tired as well. Tired of big companies coming in and running roughshod until someone complains. Then they apologise and reverse their decision. No fines, no court cases, nothing at all. Not unlike the bank scandals.

Why have regulators across a host of industries if none of them are willing to make an example which just might one day make these companies think twice about their underhand practices? I live in hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭Infoanon

STB wrote: »
    There is no train of thought involved. Sky cannot charge their subscribers any extra charges for channels that Sky have sought under the must carry arrangements, especially if their customers have the hardware to decode the HD channels.

Its nothing to do with RTE, it is Sky you need to contact. RTE upheld their end of the agreement by giving Sky the HD channel.

I am tired of banging on about this.

I have been saying from Day 1 that the legislation was clear and Sky must provide this to SD customers.

It has everything to do with RTE however - RTE could have made the carriage dependent on availability to SD&HD customers - RTE also gave prominence to HD carriage on Sky AND don't forget that RTE are paid a premium from Sky for additional customers.

RTE are not innocent bystanders in all of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

I have been saying from Day 1 that the legislation was clear and Sky must provide this to SD customers.

It has everything to do with RTE however - RTE could have made the carriage dependent on availability to SD&HD customers - RTE also gave prominence to HD carriage on Sky AND don't forget that RTE are paid a premium from Sky for additional customers.

RTE are not innocent bystanders in all of this

Are RTE completely stupid??? Sky for years have been benefiting massively from the draw or the Irish channels on 28e in attracting new & keeping customers....

In putting the RTE2HD channel onto their HD package @ 15 quid pm, both Sky & RTE should hold their heads in shame.

Who the hell do they think they are??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Manc-Red wrote: »
    Are RTE completely stupid??? Sky for years have been benefiting massively from the draw or the Irish channels on 28e in attracting new & keeping customers....

In putting the RTE2HD channel onto their HD package @ 15 quid pm, both Sky & RTE should hold their heads in shame.

Who the hell do they think they are??

Corporate entities will always think tactically. Rte probably agreed to it been on the hd sub so that more people would be forced to buy saorview equipment. That suits rte and sky for that matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Corporate entities will always think tactically. Rte probably agreed to it been on the hd sub so that more people would be forced to buy saorview equipment. That suits rte and sky for that matter

Ah.... corporate greed gets beaten this time then??

Brings a smile to my face :)

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

After I buying a saorview box specially during the week...... still seems like we were heard and common sense prevailed in the end, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

p.oconnor wrote: »
    After I buying a saorview box specially during the week...... still seems like we were heard and common sense prevailed in the end, well done.

Well I am sure it won't go to waste, what about all those with the HD sub connected through a scart lead.... I know of one case.. sure there are thousands more.. anyway to stay on topic...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Merged. No more RTÉ Two HD threads please

Advertisement