Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AL Cadet programme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fully Established

Like the above say anyone paying out 100k for the integrated courses need to do a reality check , as is said above 40k might be a liitle on the slim side for the CPL/IR and then the MCC if it's the airlines that you are aiming at, been more realistic you won't have too much change from 50k if everything is passed first time . Doing as much research before committing to any thing will stop any " headaches or told you so " coming back to haunt you and dont' forget it's not that long since PTC went bang and caused a lot of distress to students that had paid upfront into the pyramid scheme .

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Xpro

+1 on what LeftBase said. Most of the big name schools that were at that exhibition you are paying for their name not their quality of training. You could quite easily complete training for as little as 40k if you tried and did the research. It makes me sick hearing the schools saying you have to go integrated if you want a job, I was asking a women at the OAA stand a question on their modular CPL and IR the other day and I heard one of their instructors telling a guy right beside me that there is "no point" going modular, at which point I realised what type of school they were and politely told the women I'm not interested anymore as there is "no point" going modular.

I'm midway through my modular training, have managed to keep my full time job, have yet to take out any loan so far and don't regret going modular for a minute. I will probably take out a loan to do the CPL and MEIR, so ill have a 20-25k loan at the of all my training which is pretty manageable.

Do not be fooled by the slick sales man and the glossy brochures and goodie bag you get at these exhibitions!

Thats the way OAA operates. They charge mega bucks for their training, their advertising is good as they can afford it when students are paying 100k+ and it looks good and flashy.

I was told the same, and the guy at the stand also told me that Airlines only want integrated pilots, modular students are not the priority. While this is definitely not true.
    You train with OAA, you will be wanted and recognised. ( if he could only guarantee the job, maybe id go with it lol)

Now, as much as i like integrated course, only because you get your licence quicker it defo doesn't mean one comes out a better pilot.
    I put some serious effort into my modular course which is half the price, plus for the price of 100k i could probably pay for type rating and maybe have some change left over.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Paxi_R6

I would go integrated (Personal choice) ! From talking to all the schools I liked Atlantic the best , the "big two" just seem money hungry schools or you pay for the privilege to go there ! Not really worth it when you can do it for 40k less , but most likely end up spending 90-100k that's plus type .

Yeah EI said Direct Entry's might be taken for 2014 while 2013 being filled with current cadets , 2015 could be filled with another cadet class . So second quarter of this year should be interesting !

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase

Paxi_R6 wrote: »
    Yeah EI said Direct Entry's might be taken for 2014 while 2013 being filled with current cadets , 2015 could be filled with another cadet class . So second quarter of this year should be interesting !

It's possible that EI may run DE schemes until they dont work or yield the required numbers and then go back to a cadetship.....that is kind of what they did before.

For those aiming at a 2014/2015 cadetship my advice would be to get some hours under your belt an show you have an interest.

• Site Banned Posts: 1 Iknowmysh1t

Just to let anyone who actually has an interest in aviation know, LeftBase really doesn't know what he is talking about when it comes to pretty much anything discussed on this forum.

• Advertisement

Just to let anyone who actually has an interest in aviation know, LeftBase really doesn't know what he is talking about when it comes to pretty much anything discussed on this forum.

You invented a new profile just for my benefit!

I'm flattered! :D

What exactly dont I know? Or did I just not play into your fantastical view of the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭No.username

Totally disagree with you! And your first post?? Screams of a troll!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 markhar9877

Modular? Integrated? The debate goes on. But in reality it doesn't matter because there are few jobs and everyone is applying for them. Your only chance is to stand out in some way that proves you really want it more than the others and that you are type of person who fits within the organisation. That's hard to define but you know it when you see it.

I know of one recruitment round recently for a small operator. From what I hear there was no one attribute that made the difference for them. But experience beyond flight school was the one common factor. Not even relevant experience, just some experience. A fact overlooked by far too many newly trained pilots.

I imagine Aer Lingus takes the same attitude to it's cadets. When push comes to shove, the person who demonstrates more committment always has the advantage.

Lately I heard someone involved in recruiting pilots complain that too many he'd seen were nerds. Those guys have no chance but they'll never know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

Re-reg account to cause trouble you are a re-reg of jp28287. This account perma banned from the forum and your jp28287 account banned for a month.

Lately I heard someone involved in recruiting pilots complain that too many he'd seen were nerds. Those guys have no chance but they'll never know why.

While I'm not sure about the term and am uncomfortable with labeling people with it I have too encountered people who could be classed nerds and had training staff comment on them in a similar fashion.

For some reason a number of those training as pilots seem to be quieter types who are very studious. When I was doing line training one of the training staff commented on the fact that he has encountered a lot of guys who could talk you through the specs of a jet engine as if they had designed it, however being able to tell you exactly why you are in an emergency is useless if you cannot actually fly your way out of it.

In my teens and before I encountered the Class 1 medical system(and had to avoid repeated physical injury) I played sport at a fairly high level. At interview one of the HR staff passed comment on the fact that they did not have many pilots who played competitive sport come before them recently. This surprised me. It seems there are an awful lot of guys who are not physically inclined becoming pilots. The above mentioned training pilot expressed the opinion that while they make fine pilots and know all the SOPs and technical info etc, they lack a certain spacial and physical intelligence that those who have played sport etc naturally develop. Sport also develops interpersonal skills and leadership skills that would benefit development toward command.

While I wouldn't say being a "nerd" makes a bad pilot it certainly can mean that guys lack certain traits needed to be a Captain. However they may well develop them.
    I had 2 or 3 guys on my TR course who were very quiet and very "reclusive", yet they knew all the technical info and could explain the design and operation of any piece of aviation machinery on the planet. However I'm not sure if they have the skills now to develop the skills they would need for command.

That's just my observation and experience on this issue. It may well be totally wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

So thats the secret, no more nerds, just superhuman "skygods", just like in the Pan Am days :)

So your assumptions are based on what? 6 months flying and 1 type rating course? How many pilots are actually in your company? 100? 1000?

smurfjed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

<Snip>

Back to left bases comments re nerds. Believe me, I've seen nerds as you call them turn into fine Capts many 1000s of hours later. People do mature into the job, others who have no people skills, shy/retiring types no matter how much work they put in dont make the four bars. Attrition in this dept is part and parcel of the command process.

smurfjed wrote: »
    So thats the secret, no more nerds, just superhuman "skygods", just like in the Pan Am days :)

So your assumptions are based on what? 6 months flying and 1 type rating course? How many pilots are actually in your company? 100? 1000?

smurfjed

That's not what I said at all. I was just pointing out I had too encountered guys who had very little interpersonal and physical development and that they struggled in some areas while outdoing many in others.
    My experiences are based on all such people I have met in life and how their personality struggles to maintain authority(such as the very well qualified yet shy quiet teachers we all may have had).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

<Snip>

Back to left bases comments re nerds. Believe me, I've seen nerds as you call them turn into fine Capts many 1000s of hours later. People do mature into the job, others who have no people skills, shy/retiring types no matter how much work they put in dont make the four bars. Attrition in this dept is part and parcel of the command process.

You do know that questioning a mod decision on thread is against the term that you signed up to?

Please remember this before posting any question please om me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

Folks, my mole tells me it's official. EIN continuing cadet programme recruiting Q3 Q4 2013. Best of luck to all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

I can back that up, I've heard similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭happy_head

I can also back that up, but I heard it will be sooner that Q3

happy_head wrote: »
    I can also back that up, but I heard it will be sooner that Q3

Yes, that's more in line with what I heard, they'd like the next batch to be back slightly earlier than the last time to make sure they're ready to go for the summer season.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭BrakePad

Last time's "part funded" claim that turned out to be fully funded is out of the bag now though and that is well known even outside aviation circles...so expect an avalanche of chancers!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Niiall

Can anyone please explain to me what 'Q3' and 'Q4' are in reference to?

• Advertisement

Niiall wrote: »

Q3= July to September
    Q4= October to December.
    They represent quarters of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭paulmcgrath

Niiall wrote: »

Chancer alert lulz

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Contrails

BrakePad wrote: »
    Last time's "part funded" claim that turned out to be fully funded is out of the bag now though and that is well known even outside aviation circles...so expect an avalanche of chancers!:rolleyes:

I can't see Aer Lingus continuing with fully sponsored cadetships, not when there are 50 pilots for every available job out there. I'd imagine we'll see some sort of part funded system properly introduced or maybe something similar to the BA FPP. I reckon the first batch of cadets were the lucky testing group and the water is well and truly tested now.

(I'm not basing this on anything i heard by the way. It's complete speculation)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Brilliant!! The thread that will just keep giving :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭omega man

Likely training will commence in august with a summer 2015 line target. adds will go out shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

Good to see AL tackling the shortage of work for college grads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Niiall

Chancer alert lulz

Yeah you're hilarious aren't you? Or I was just asking because it's a way of referring to periods of the year that I've never come across before.

Good luck with you life, you'll need it with an attitude like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭BrakePad

omega man wrote: »
    Likely training will commence in august with a summer 2015 line target. adds will go out shortly.

August 2013 or 2014? If they advertise soon will it really take over a year to get the cadets started?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭omega man

BrakePad wrote: »
    August 2013 or 2014? If they advertise soon will it really take over a year to get the cadets started?

2013. more likely in September/October

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

Was this Cadet Programme a one time only thing, or will AerLingus run it in another few years?

Advertisement