Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AL Cadet programme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Xpro wrote: »
    Anyways,
    While on the recruitment subject and what EI want i heard, a 25 year old guy from NI that also applied for aerlingus cadetship but unfortunately didnt get trough, he applied for BA cadetship that was ran not too long ago and was successful.

I dont see how this is possible considering the BA future pilot programme recruitment is still ongoing, at the last stage now I believe, a friend of mine is in it. Nobody has been offered a place yet.

Unless you mean the one from 2011?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Roar83

Guys, One of the guys from the graduating class with EI, had applied to B.A. and had at least got to the second round, because i met him there, and he was going the following week to the next round with E.I in dublin.
    This was in 2011 when BA first launched their cadet scheme, not the current scheme that is running. He was an english fellow, my assumption is he would have went to B.A if it were offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase

Leftbase, unless you're privy to the psychometric test results, were present at the interviews and sat on the review boards, you can't possibly know who the best candidates were. Your view of a "good candidate" may not have been any good at the some aspect of the process - I presume you don't administer complete assessments on your friends.
    Some AL pilots have relations in the company, most don't. Some solicitors/doctors/binmen have relations in the same profession, most don't. That's life unless you close out all jobs to anyone who has a relation doing the same.

I cant name names for obvious reasons but there was a guy I knew from a flying club I did some helping out at who got a job in Aer Lingus. His father was a senior Captain there. He ate and slept aviation and worked hard to get his fATPL. He was taken on and I had no issue what so ever with it.

However there was another guy who had a Father and Uncle who were Captains in Aer Lingus. He had failed 6 separate ATPL written exams(at least 2 of them more than once). He was having trouble grasping some stuff in IR training but demanded he be allowed sit the flight test when he met minimum hours. He failed it first time round, partialed it the second attempt and finally passed the third. He applied along with many other people who had 100% pass rates and was taken on. You cant really say his psycometric scores could be that good!
    As I mentioned earlier there was also a case of a son of the pilot who was passed through stages to interview eventhough he had not done his IR training yet.

I do not dispute that there are deserving candidates who who have parents in Aer Lingus and they deserve a place. However there are a couple who have got in while being well below the criteria set out for the normal person.
    smurfjed wrote: »
    Thats because you don't appear to see the correlation between eroding terms and conditions and the fact that people are will to stump up a big lump of money to get the job in the first place.

smurfjed

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

While Ryanair may be inclined to take a large number of "Daddy's boys" with large cheque books, I can assure you that it was not that easy when I was applying for my job.

I earned and saved a large amount of what I used to fund my flight training so if I had a "big lump of money" to hand out it didn't fall out of the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

It's a great shame but mirrors Irish society at large. I wonder how many children of Captains at B.A. got in on their one? With much larger numbers for that cadetship surely there must be 20-25 of them by extrapolation of EI's numbers...

In my experience, having a parent as captain in BA dosen't help you particularly much. Aer Lingus, well, it's probably not a disadvantage, however you must remember selection is on merit. There will be plenty of children to pilots who will try but will never get selected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Flier

There seem to be a few out there who, no matter what anybody tells them as fact, refuse to accept that nepotism is not rife in pilot recruitment in EI. So my advice for these people - forget about EI if you don't have a parent in there, as you won't succeed in getting the job. Don't bother applying to EI again. I'd rather not have people with that kind of attitude sitting beside me on the flight deck anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Xpro

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    I dont see how this is possible considering the BA future pilot programme recruitment is still ongoing, at the last stage now I believe, a friend of mine is in it. Nobody has been offered a place yet.

Unless you mean the one from 2011?

Hi,

Its not the cadetship from Dec 2012, it was the previous selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Paxi_R6

A british lad picking picking aer lingus over british airways ..... I would assume it was cause Aer lingus contributed to the training were as BA didn't ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

Where's XWB??? :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

A320 wrote: »
    Where's XWB??? :D:D:D

Never mind XWB. Where's Suits gone? Or has he changed his name.....

Did anyone notice the cityjet cadetship ? Applications closed now but I got my app in there before the deadline .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Matthew Gleeson

Paxi_R6 wrote: »
    Did anyone notice the cityjet cadetship ? Applications closed now but I got my app in there before the deadline .

Heard the training is to be done at FTE for full price to students:confused:? Anyone have any information on it?

FTE is the flight school they have chosen (Again) . The price as far as I know is €102,000 don't hold me to that could be more .

FTE is the flight school they have chosen (Again) . The price as far as I know is €102,000 don't hold me to that could be more .

Cool thanks anyway. Is that including the Type course?

Cool thanks anyway. Is that including the Type course?

Cityjet cover the TR.

This isnt actually a cadetship it is a self sponsored scheme.

There is a possible job or place in a holding pool for your at the end but is that worth an extra 30k?

LeftBase wrote: »
    Cityjet cover the TR.

This isnt actually a cadetship it is a self sponsored scheme.

There is a possible job or place in a holding pool for your at the end but is that worth an extra 30k?

Ok cool. Thanks for clearing that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Scone190

Id be very wary doing a cadetship with the financial situation at Cityjet and with Air France trying to sell up and nobody shown much interest that says alot about the airline atm ! As someone said on pprune its a no brainer to apply all the same if you are planning on doing your training with fte !!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Could someone tell me how much you had to pay an how much AL paid for AL cadetship?

I know people are gonna ask me to read back but come on guys..it's 142 pages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Could someone tell me how much you had to pay an how much AL paid for AL cadetship?

I know people are gonna ask me to read back but come on guys..it's 142 pages

Not sure, think it was in the 70k region..

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭happy_head

Aer Lingus ended up paying the full amount. They stated during the hiring process that it would be in the region of 50% - 50% but after the had chose their final 20 they told them that they would pay the full amount. I'm not sure, but I reckon they did this so only people with a genuine interest in becoming a pilot would apply, if they had came out at the start and told people it wouldn't cost them anything you would have 1000's of people applying without any interest.

Leftbase is right about the Cityjet scheme, it's only a "Self sponsored mentored scheme", you pay the full €109,000 and if you meet Cityjet's pass rates etc you MAY be offered a place with Cityjet. I seem to recall reading a while ago that there was a group of Cityjet "cadets" left high and dry by Cityjet after completing their training in South Africa through the Sigmar cadetship.

I'd be very wary applying for this scheme, unless as mentioned above, you were planning on training in FTE anyway.

happy_head wrote: »
    I seem to recall reading a while ago that there was a group of Cityjet "cadets" left high and dry by Cityjet after completing their training in South Africa through the Sigmar cadetship.

I recall hearing about a group left high and dry in this way in South Africa. I'm not sure if it was Cityjet, but if it was perhaps it was these guys. A few of them were taken on by Aer Lingus as DE candidates.

All's well and that....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭happy_head

LeftBase wrote: »
    I recall hearing about a group left high and dry in this way in South Africa. I'm not sure if it was Cityjet, but if it was perhaps it was these guys. A few of them were taken on by Aer Lingus as DE candidates.

All's well and that....

Yeap a few of them were taken on by EI, the female pilot that is interviewed on their new career website was one of the affected ones as far as I know.

I asked the question at the flying expo the other day weather or not there be a cadet ship soon , They said there looking at the finical side of it ? so there's a chance but they didn't seem so assured themselves weather there would be one or not !

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭BrakePad

I asked the question at the flying expo the other day weather or not there be a cadet ship soon , They said there looking at the finical side of it ? so there's a chance but they didn't seem so assured themselves weather there would be one or not !

There are a lot of DE candidates out there and I cant see Aer Lingus wanting to pay the full whack for another set of cadets, if there is a number of top quality DE applicants for a recruitment drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭No.username

BrakePad wrote: »
    There are a lot of DE candidates out there and I cant see Aer Lingus wanting to pay the full whack for another set of cadets, if there is a number of top quality DE applicants for a recruitment drive.

I asked the same question and was told that they do want to put through another class if cadets, just waiting on finance to say yay or nay, as paxi says. There were a lot of DE candidates out there last year but the still sent 20 over to train.

On another note, the cadet I spoke to at the exhibition told me that 10 out of the 20 had PPLs and some had ATPLs done. Gives a bit of hope to people who thought they may be too far through their training to apply if it does come up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭BrakePad

On another note, the cadet I spoke to at the exhibition told me that 10 out of the 20 had PPLs and some had ATPLs done. Gives a bit of hope to people who thought they may be too far through their training to apply if it does come up again.

I asked the same given that the impression at the time was that PPLs etc were a negative. He told me that as long as the person had not been issued a CPL they were eligible to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mllyssn

Do you know if this programme is running again, was just at pilot training seminar in Dublin on 06/04/2013 and have son aged 17 mad to be pilot since age of 5. Private training is unobtainable, and

mllyssn wrote: »
    Do you know if this programme is running again, was just at pilot training seminar in Dublin on 06/04/2013 and have son aged 17 mad to be pilot since age of 5. Private training is unobtainable, and

Like said above it will run if Aer Lingus get the funding from their bean counters and there is a need for a certain number of pilots. What I'm hearing is they may run a Direct Entry Drive(for those who trained privately or are coming from other airlines) in August/September and then make a decision on if they need to run a cadetship this year and if so how many they need to take. If they get enough DE pilots to see them over then they may wait another year and access the situation in another 12 months.

I'm intrigued to know what you mean when you say private training is "unobtainable". In reality it is the only real way to train these days. A very small percentage of people training now are doing so on part/fully sponsored cadetships.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mllyssn

Was quoted in and around 100k not including accommodation, travelling & food, spoke to panam and said about 60k stg for Florida. Does it matter to airlines where you did your training as long as you have a european license?:(

mllyssn wrote: »
    Was quoted in and around 100k not including accommodation, travelling & food, spoke to panam and said about 60k stg for Florida. Does it matter to airlines where you did your training as long as you have a european license?:(

Dont mind the schools who are charging you 100k+. Anyone who pays 100k+ for a frozen ATPL is being lead down the garden path. A lot of people say that it doesn't matter where you train and that is true to a point. However you want to train somewhere that an airline will have heard of off hand as naturally that makes them feel better about you. That being said if you go to Spain and pass a flight test at a small little school you have met the standard of the Spanish Aviation Authority and so that test is as valid as one done in FTE Jerez for a couple of thousand more.

If you train in Ireland with NFC or Atlantic you can expect to spend 60,000 - 65,000 euros all in. If your kid can live at home and eat your food then that saves on rent and you can make sure he eats properly(a big factor that is over looked). You also do not have to pay up front and can pay as you go so it spreads out the financial load. I trained in NFC and paid for each flight/lesson as I took it. I means that you have time to save money as you are going along and also if the place goes bust you have little or no money invested in them!

If you want my advice avoid the big integrated BS machine and just train modular. It's easier, can be done at your own pace and costs a lot less in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭No.username

+1 on what LeftBase said. Most of the big name schools that were at that exhibition you are paying for their name not their quality of training. You could quite easily complete training for as little as 40k if you tried and did the research. It makes me sick hearing the schools saying you have to go integrated if you want a job, I was asking a women at the OAA stand a question on their modular CPL and IR the other day and I heard one of their instructors telling a guy right beside me that there is "no point" going modular, at which point I realised what type of school they were and politely told the women I'm not interested anymore as there is "no point" going modular.

I'm midway through my modular training, have managed to keep my full time job, have yet to take out any loan so far and don't regret going modular for a minute. I will probably take out a loan to do the CPL and MEIR, so ill have a 20-25k loan at the of all my training which is pretty manageable.

Do not be fooled by the slick sales man and the glossy brochures and goodie bag you get at these exhibitions!

Advertisement