Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread MkII

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Dublin25 wrote: »
    Morning All!!

Well done on the losses!

I've a bit of a dilema! The OH decided to announce this morning that he plans on getting a chinese takeaway this eve when his folks arrive. Nightmare!!!!

I used to get chicken and mushroom dish before (old system) with boiled rice but as i'm only on week one, I don't know what low point options I should look at!

Anyone any ideas?

(defo buying the eating out guide next week)

Skinny Doll's Blog has a list of takeaways and their PP. I love chicken and cashew nuts which is 9PP and then add the PP for rice. Or duck, it's fairly low in PP if you take all the fat off, which I do, because I hate fat.

http://theskinnydollsjourney.blogspot.com/p/sweet.html

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Dublin25

Thanks for the tips! Will do my research before heading home, and i'll be well prepared!

Monife - that site is brilliant for eating out and will have a look through it a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 oat

Had my weigh in last night and for my first time in my 8 weeks at ww I didnt have a loss. I stayed the same. I'm really disappointed. I didn't have any junk or alcohol in the last 2 weeks and I've been walking almost everyday, drinking plety of water, having my 5 a day and sticking to my points. My leader said I'll have to do some food swaps but I honestly don't know what, I'm not having bread, biscuis or processed foods which she mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Dubgirlww

was down 0.5 pounds this week, was happy to be down but had been doing amazing exercise wise and good food wise so thought be at least 1 and hoping for 2!! since wed weigh in, its made me lose my motivation to exercise but can feel more toned so im posting here that i promise to go to gym and exercsie every day to get back on my tone for holiday buzz!! 4 weigh ins to holiday!! :P and im only 0.5 pounds to being right on my goal weight again so hoping to surpass it and be feeling fabulous come 4 weeks, have to overcome good few nights out and hens first...eeek!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

oat wrote: »
    Had my weigh in last night and for my first time in my 8 weeks at ww I didnt have a loss. I stayed the same. I'm really disappointed. I didn't have any junk or alcohol in the last 2 weeks and I've been walking almost everyday, drinking plety of water, having my 5 a day and sticking to my points. My leader said I'll have to do some food swaps but I honestly don't know what, I'm not having bread, biscuis or processed foods which she mentioned.

Your good week will possibly show next week.

Try changing what you have for breakfast even. If you have porridge, try having egg and rashers/sausages or fruit salad with yoghurt and some nuts. Or for lunch, try something different, if it is always salads, try incorporating some pasta or more protein or have a wrap or pitta. For dinner, if you are having the same carb all the time with your dinner (eg: potatoes) try having something different this week like rice or pasta or don't have any carbs with dinner if you can manage that.

If you aren't exercising much, try upping it a bit. Or try something different, if you are walking all the time, try go for a swim or a hike type walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭LinK3

Morning all:) happy Friday... Well done on the losses, and for that last lady that stayed the same, don't panic, I'm sure you'll see it on the scales next week... I have a communion Sunday so saving my weeklies for it.. Will still make the right choices but might have a glass of wine with dinner.. My husband is on driving duty.. His parents are coming tonight so I'll volunteer to drive tonight and tomorrow night..They like to take us out as we don't see them too often... Don't want to waste the points as my wi is on Tuesday morning... I was delighted this morning, tried on jeans I had set aside as my "nearly there" pair.. It's a size 12 but a tighter fit than my others and they bloody fit... And closed;) so happy out... I'm 8 pounds from target but at this rate I might even see size 10 again, haven't been that since early 20's!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭kashmir

Howdy all, been flat out in work (not complaining!!) for the past couple of days so haven't had much time to catch up. Got a bit of a shock when I logged on initially and saw the thread was closed....found the new one. Can't believe y'all gone through 7 pages already, can't leave you alone for 5 mins :)

Debating whether to WI in or not at lunch time, haven't done hardly any walking and have eaten all around me all week.........I'll let you know later. Well done to all you motivated, hard working people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    Just a quick point on the tinned tomatoes, the chef I did the cooking class with said that apparently the chopped tinned tomatoes have more artificial additives added to them than the whole tinned ones - so might be an idea to switch to the whole ones and just mash them up with the wooden spoon while you are cooking them! Sounds like a lovely sauce though Lainy - exactly the same as the one she gave us in the Italian cooking class :D

How many grams are in the Heinz small tin cos I got some of them that are 200g and I pointed them at 4pp, not 5pp - they are the same as the snap pots which are also 200g. :)

Edit Just checked the Tesco website for the nutritional info and the Heinz 200g tin is defo 4pp :)

Oh definitely 100% agree...less additives the better, and if one had the time use fresh tomatoes even better again, and just liquidise them,

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

jackmax wrote: »
    how do you find the nutrional info on the tesco website?

When you click all the way into the product you will see a set of tabs - ingredients, NI etc. Click on the NI tab and all the info is there.

I've been well behaved all week but I'm heading away for the weekend so I might do a bit of damage there (thank God for weeklies! :D). No doubt I will get a few walks in too though so they will counteract any temptation at the breakfast bar. And after all, it is my birthday!! :p

I had the Aldi yellow fin sole last night for dinner - yum yum yum for only 4PP.

jackmax wrote: »
    how do you find the nutrional info on the tesco website?

nutritional under the food of most products on tesco.ie...its a REALLY handy tool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Seven pages in one day!!!!
    I had read about three or four yesterday, so I will go back and read the rest now. My bosses aren't in the office this morning, so I might get a chance to take some of the recipes off the old thread.

I was up .5lb this week, was a little disappointed as I had been really good. But I haven't exercised at all. I just don't seem to have the energy.
    But I was thinking if the weather was fine over the weekend, I might persuade the OH to take a trip up to Glendalough or Mount Leinster.

Had my tests on Wednesday, so it looks like my gallbladder is packed with stones and is going to have to come out. Don't know when, have to go back to the consultant in a few weeks and we'll make a plan then. :(

Although pain and surgery is not good, I think this is the healthy eating kick up the behind that I needed. Knowing that the wrong kind of food is going to have me in agony, I am much more careful about what I eat and how I cook things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

bubbaloo wrote: »
    I had the Aldi yellow fin sole last night for dinner - yum yum yum for only 4PP.

Doc told me to stick to chicken and fish, but I don't eat fish at all.
    Any suggestions for something that might not be too fishy to start with?

I really don't like fish, but that Aldi Yellow sole fin is nice, not overly fishy at all, and it can be cooked from frozen which is SO handy...its my go to dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

kildareash wrote: »
    Doc told me to stick to chicken and fish, but I don't eat fish at all.
    Any suggestions for something that might not be too fishy to start with?

I'm not a big fish eater either and found the Aldi one very tasty. I'd never touch shellfish or strong flavoured seafood (other than salmon) but really like cod or whiting (baked with a little balsamic glaze). It's low in PP too and delicious with boiled spuds and steamed veg. :p God, my mouth is watering now at the thought of it. Ha ha!
    Salmon is stronger in flavour but I like it mixed in with pasta and a tomato based sauce. A bit of courgette is nice with that too.
    Bon Apetit!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭lil kc

Whoop feeling the joys of life this morning ha ha! Got up early and I was in the gym by 9.30am for 30 mins of cardio and 30 mins of weights, crunches and stretches. AND wait for it ... I RAN for a good 4 minutes ha ha ha. Couldn't believe that I didn't pass out. Chuffed with myself.

Things i'm loving this week are readybrek (I keep saying it, miracle!), spinach sauteed in a tsp of olive oil, garlic and pinch of salt, makes a great side and so good for you, and Banana and Raspberry smoothies for an 11am snack.

These 2 lbs are going whether they like it or not and thats the end of it!

Haven't tried the batcherlors beans, it was my leader that said it but if I can save 2pp then i'm all for them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

I'm really trying to incorporate fish into my diet too! I recommend going to your local fishmonger if there is one near you. They will help you and give you the best advice, esp if you are a fish novice like me! I find that fish cakes, fish stirfry or fish pie are the best to begin with - I don't like an overwhelming fish taste, white fish could be best. Check out the Bord Bia site, they have a fish promotion on at the mo with lots of recipes.

http://www.bordbia.ie/aboutfood/recipes/fish/Pages/default.aspx

kashmir wrote: »
    Howdy all, been flat out in work (not complaining!!) for the past couple of days so haven't had much time to catch up. Got a bit of a shock when I logged on initially and saw the thread was closed....found the new one. Can't believe y'all gone through 7 pages already, can't leave you alone for 5 mins :)

Debating whether to WI in or not at lunch time, haven't done hardly any walking and have eaten all around me all week.........I'll let you know later. Well done to all you motivated, hard working people.

Do it do it do it and draw a line under the week! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 oat

Monife wrote: »
    Your good week will possibly show next week.

Try changing what you have for breakfast even. If you have porridge, try having egg and rashers/sausages or fruit salad with yoghurt and some nuts. Or for lunch, try something different, if it is always salads, try incorporating some pasta or more protein or have a wrap or pitta. For dinner, if you are having the same carb all the time with your dinner (eg: potatoes) try having something different this week like rice or pasta or don't have any carbs with dinner if you can manage that.

If you aren't exercising much, try upping it a bit. Or try something different, if you are walking all the time, try go for a swim or a hike type walk.

Thanks, I'll change from porridge to fruit and see how I get on, I'll review my lunches and dinners and try and mix them up a little. I normally do aerobics once a week so I'm gonna do it twice this week and keep up the walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Question on BMI I was checking what mine would be when I get to goal around 8 and a half to 9 stone seeing how I feel when I get there, I am only 4ft 10 so the BMI is telling me I would still be over weight! it suggest I should be 7 stone for a healty BMI to me thats to thin :eek: I was always 8 and a half to 9 stone and I hadnt a pick on me I was very fit, worked with horses so Im thinking I will never get in to a healthy BMI range as it does not take in muscle or bone denisty in to account!
    What do you all think!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Kay_80

That seems very very small baby75 my mum is the same height of you & yrs ago doing WW she got down to 8 stone & was told by her dr & WW leader that she was too skinny, looked gaunt & needed to gain 7-14lb.

I think while BMI is a good guide - it is only that because it doesn't take into account all the other things you pointed out. 2 ppl who are exactly the same height can have very different body shapes & skeleton size & what looks good on one might look terrible on the other.

Your goal weight seems really sensible, you have the right idea see how you feel when you get there, & if you're really concerned maybe talk to your dr on it? That's what I'm going to do because my initial goal weight is to get to 10.7 & probably lower that to 9.10 - 10.0 to give myself a bit of leeway but I know myself if I was even 9.7 I'd look very skinny I'm short but have a big skeleton my hips & shoulders are wide so I'd be quite hour glass shaped I picked my goal based on the top end of the BMI scale for my height but I know the lower end was 7.6- 8.0 stone & I was thinking um no way!! I'd look horrible!!

Edited cos I rechecked & lower end is 7.6 O_O

So I say use as a guide only & see how you look & feel :)

Baby75 wrote: »
    Question on BMI I was checking what mine would be when I get to goal around 8 and a half to 9 stone seeing how I feel when I get there, I am only 4ft 10 so the BMI is telling me I would still be over weight! it suggest I should be 7 stone for a healty BMI to me thats to thin :eek: I was always 8 and a half to 9 stone and I hadnt a pick on me I was very fit, worked with horses so Im thinking I will never get in to a healthy BMI range as it does not take in muscle or bone denisty in to account!
    What do you all think!:confused:

yeah i think BMI can be slightly out dated....cos like a guy could weight 200lbs but be muscle...and still be "over weight" according to BMI.

Like I'll never get to my BMI range...cos i'd look like a shriviled prune...i do have a broad build...short and stocky....like i was stocky from day one....born with dislocated shoulder...cos i wouldnt fit LOL and i do have "heavy" bones....I've been to the hospital and had the Bone density scans to prove that :P haha!

Read up if you can more about fat percentage, and the healthy range...

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭aspie mum

I can never make a nice pastry or dough crust so last night i got the napolina pizza bases both bases worked out at 23 pp so I covered them in passatta and then in a bowel I put chopped green and yellow peppers red onion and 100g grated ww chesse in a bowl and added some gallic and chilli flakes and black pepper with oregno and mixed it all up divided it across the two basses and baked in a hot 220 oven for 10 minutes 28 pp for the lot

Just had a half for 7pp delish

the bases are freezer friendly so I now have 3 lunches in the oven to serve with a side salad and a bowl of lovely homemade soup.......made the soup at the same time and will freeze 3 bowels as well...sorted for next week as I have to do my year end returns before the accountant gets ansty looking for them ..I hate paperwork :pac::pac::pac:

You could probably add mushroom and other 0pp stuff as well but that was all I had in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    I use Blue Dragon or Amoy Light Coconut milk alot for marinades, but I'd be throwing out the marinade and not actually eating it, its great for tenderising chicken

400ml (full can) Full Fat coconut milk is 19pp (half the can is is 9pp)
    400ml (full can) Reduced Fat Coconut Milk is 13pp (half the can is 6pp)

I'm cooking for one, so when I do use it, the most i'd ever use would be about 150ml of the reduced fat version which is 3pp.

but realistically curries aren't the best option for losing weight...sorry i have to say it before someone pounce on ya for wanting to have a curry while on a diet... I have the odd Thai green curry at home...but like once or twice a month at the most

Thanks Lady Lainy, I know there not the best Points wise but I'm limiting it to a treat every couple of weeks and even with that its a home made treat with lots of veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

dont forget to have you're weights in to me by 00:00 tonight;)

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    dont forget to have you're weights in to me by 00:00 tonight;)

when will it be published then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 LORNLAKES22

Hi there can anyone give me some advice - went for my first WI last night did not lose any weight - now I am following the points - did eat pretty healthily anyway but I feel my portion sizes were probably over generous so I have cut them down for carbs and protein and upped my vegetable and fruit intake - cut out the odd choc bar crisps etc so they no longer feature and thats not a prob - I walk about 5k twice a week and go to a spinning class twice a week - All this I was doing for the last 4 weeks anyway before I joined WW - but my weight was not going down so thats why I decided to join WW thought that if I followed a structured plan and tracked and pointed what I was eating it would kick start the weight loss - so far this week I have stuck to my dailies and have so far only used about 10 of the weeklies and not eaten any of my exercise points - also drinking water throughout the day. - anybody got any tips , or words of wisdom to get me through the next couple of days icon7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Hi there can anyone give me some advice - went for my first WI last night did not lose any weight - now I am following the points - did eat pretty healthily anyway but I feel my portion sizes were probably over generous so I have cut them down for carbs and protein and upped my vegetable and fruit intake - cut out the odd choc bar crisps etc so they no longer feature and thats not a prob - I walk about 5k twice a week and go to a spinning class twice a week - All this I was doing for the last 4 weeks anyway before I joined WW - but my weight was not going down so thats why I decided to join WW thought that if I followed a structured plan and tracked and pointed what I was eating it would kick start the weight loss - so far this week I have stuck to my dailies and have so far only used about 10 of the weeklies and not eaten any of my exercise points - also drinking water throughout the day. - anybody got any tips , or words of wisdom to get me through the next couple of days icon7.gif

I would definitely say get a kitchen scales and weigh everything you eat.

Portion control is a HUGE factor, you could be eating twice what you think you are - then thats twice the points!

It's really impossible to do properly with no kitchen scales. I prefer digital ones myself.

I got a brabantia one that is quite good, I know some of the guys here were raving over a salter one! Check out Argos, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭aspie mum

Keep at it for another couple of weeks but weigh everything and track at every meal sometimes or body work in mysterious ways even if you pick point it...my leader did an exercise the other week and put toghther a bowl of pickings and it came to nearly 14 pp i nearly died that stopped me picking..

Please it is so important in the first few weeks to weigh everything the goes in your mouth you can be supprise at how heavy some breads and meat are.
    Dont give up keep at it you will see results also eat all your weekley if not using your activity points
    but as Lainey says add more lean proteins for a better result and long term better health When I started the programme it was on the old points system and I used a lot on sugary snacks but now reach for fruit as its free. keep it up I know it is hard when its not comming off

Plan weigh point and check it again when you are starting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 LORNLAKES22

Thanks for your replies will certainly double check the weights as I know I was quite shocked when I compared a medium portion of rice on WW with what I would have considered a medium portion !!! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement