Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread MkII

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Hi All,

I just have a little question maybe one of you can help me with, I got to my Goal in January after just a little under two years and got my gold card and all, but after my mother passed away I fell off the wagon a little (7lbs so not TOTALLY irretrievable)
    I'm ready now to get back in the swing of things and start getting myself back in order. I was just wondering if there have been any changes to the plan since I've been away. I know there was talk at the last meeting I was at about the points going down to 26 and x amount per day being allowed for dairy but I was basking in the glow of my gold card that class so I wasn't following (am lactose intolerant anyway so I may not have paid attention for that reason either)
    If anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it, I need to get back on the wagon!

Welcome back. There was a change in January. They decided that they would reduce the minimum PP from 29PP to 26PP as they believe that it is still a healthy amount of points and people were not losing (or losing much) on the 29. They did say though that if you were happy with 29PP and are losing, that you can remain on the 29PP, I think it is trial and error really. Also, I think they said that out of your 26PP or 29PP that 3PP should be used for dairy/milk. I don't pay heed to that though as I don't like milk and would only have a splash on my cereal. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

thanks Monife!
    guess I might give the 26 ago, though from what I've read the 3 pp makes a big difference, but it took me weeks to get down my last few lbs on 29 so 26 might be a good kickstart!

Now for another question, how does everyone else point a chicken breast on the bone, I'd been pointing it at 7/8 based on a 125g fillet being 4 but I wonder am I being too lenient?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭tryagain2012

I have my little girls birthday tomorrow went to tescos last night and bought lots of goodies, have to make some chocolate treats tonight its not going to be easy, house is full of lots of yummy stuff. I suppose ill just have to have a few treats and track them my problem is that when i have one chocolate treat i find it hard to stop especially when the house is full of goodies ill be sending people home with lots of food :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭siobhanoh

Hi guys I haven't been on all week, I will have to go back and catch up with everybody's progress!

I just had my WI and I was down 2 pounds... I am so surprised AGAIN because I ate and drank all around me all weekend again. After being down a pound last week I was convinced I would be up at least two!

I think it is because I have been doing the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. I wasn't sure if I would see the effects of it yet as I have only been at it a week but that has to have been what saved me, I ate terribly most of the week, using up most of my weeklies before I even reached the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Have my first weigh in this evening since I started back last week, really hope I have lost something, even just to motivate myself for the coming week. I have kept within my pp and only dipped into about 10 weeklies, but haven't done any exercise really. Fingers crossed! Well done to those losses this week so far!

Oh if anyone has any nice veggie recipes could they pass them on? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

m'lady wrote: »
    Have my first weigh in this evening since I started back last week, really hope I have lost something, even just to motivate myself for the coming week. I have kept within my pp and only dipped into about 10 weeklies, but haven't done any exercise really. Fingers crossed! Well done to those losses this week so far!

Good luck! There's a lovely veggie lasagne recipe on the operation transformation website from this yr. It also keeps really well, and is yummy on day two!!! I'm sure there's other veggie recipes on that site too... Lasagne is all I've tried myself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dammitj

Hi from Chicago!

Feel like I've been eating all around me since I got here but I have been making the healthy choices where I can - lots of seafood and small amounts of dessert!

The work cafeteria is amazing so it's hard to bypass all the lovely smelling food and pick something healthy!!

Hope I won't do too much damage by the time I get home Friday!
    As long as I stay away from all the cookies and sweets in the meeting room - eek!!!

At least the weather is great. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Another week and ANOTHER sts!! That's the third week in a row! :( I did have some pizza Sunday but only had one pint!
    TOTM due aswell so maybe thats contributed somewhat. Bought a tracker book and I will battle on again this week with 26 pro points! :D

POSITIVE! POSITIVE! POSITIVE!!

Jwacqui wrote: »
    Another week and ANOTHER sts!! That's the third week in a row! :( I did have some pizza Sunday but only had one pint!
    TOTM due aswell so maybe thats contributed somewhat. Bought a tracker book and I will battle on again this week with 26 pro points! :D

POSITIVE! POSITIVE! POSITIVE!!

Jwacqui, if you don't mind me asking, how long are you on your weight loss journey? I ask because I am stalling majorly aswell. I was really good 2 weeks ago, went to the gym 4 times and gained 1.5lb. Last week I sts, which I kind of deserved. I am finding it SO hard to lose weight these days and I have over 5 stone to lose. I am wondering is it because my body is so used to 33PP. I have been on 33PP since January, shocking I know. I lose small and gain big, when I shouldn't. I have been trying to lose weight since November 2010. I lost the first 3 and a half stone in 8 months. Then had my wedding and honeymoon, fell off the wagon. Gained 16lb back and re-joined in January. Since then, with all the ups and downs, I have only lost 4lb :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

Down another pound. Was secretly hoping for a little more but am delighted with any loss at all. Keeping at it. My birthday next weds so would love a good loss this week so I can have a guilt free piece of cake :-D

• Advertisement

ck83 wrote: »

Good luck! There's a lovely veggie lasagne recipe on the operation transformation website from this yr. It also keeps really well, and is yummy on day two!!! I'm sure there's other veggie recipes on that site too... Lasagne is all I've tried myself though.

Thanks ck, I'll have a look at that recipe, I'm going to sit down now after my dinner and have a look online for some nice recipes :)

Well I was down 2.5 lbs, am delighted as I don't lose weight in big numbers, even on a first weigh in!

Was chatting to a mate last night and we are thinking about trying to get away for a week in October, if that's not motivation for me to keep at WW nothing is! She has a fab figure, and I'm determined to join her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

Monife wrote: »
    Jwacqui, if you don't mind me asking, how long are you on your weight loss journey? I ask because I am stalling majorly aswell. I was really good 2 weeks ago, went to the gym 4 times and gained 1.5lb. Last week I sts, which I kind of deserved. I am finding it SO hard to lose weight these days and I have over 5 stone to lose. I am wondering is it because my body is so used to 33PP. I have been on 33PP since January, shocking I know. I lose small and gain big, when I shouldn't. I have been trying to lose weight since November 2010. I lost the first 3 and a half stone in 8 months. Then had my wedding and honeymoon, fell off the wagon. Gained 16lb back and re-joined in January. Since then, with all the ups and downs, I have only lost 4lb :(

What quality of foods are you eating? I was the same as you and I found a few things helped me lose again. I started eating more veg even though I hated it but after a while I didn't mind it. I cut down on carbs but not rule them out altogether. I used to allow myself an off day after WI where I'd eat Mc Donalds even though I had the points for them. I realised that to lose weight I shouldn't be eating that type of food. Some people can get away with losing weight and drinking alcohol and having those treats but I couldn't. So maybe look at what you're eating and be honest with yourself as to the types of food you're eating, alcohol and whether you're genuinely sticking to the points every day. It's a long, hard journey and sometimes all we need to do is shake things up a bit. Also try increasing exercise or changing it. Exercise needs to be done on a regular and consistent basis for it to make an impact and sometimes it'll take a few weeks to show on the scales. The most important thing is not to give up :)

Eabhabear wrote: »
    What quality of foods are you eating? I was the same as you and I found a few things helped me lose again. I started eating more veg even though I hated it but after a while I didn't mind it. I cut down on carbs but not rule them out altogether. I used to allow myself an off day after WI where I'd eat Mc Donalds even though I had the points for them. I realised that to lose weight I shouldn't be eating that type of food. Some people can get away with losing weight and drinking alcohol and having those treats but I couldn't. So maybe look at what you're eating and be honest with yourself as to the types of food you're eating, alcohol and whether you're genuinely sticking to the points every day. It's a long, hard journey and sometimes all we need to do is shake things up a bit. Also try increasing exercise or changing it. Exercise needs to be done on a regular and consistent basis for it to make an impact and sometimes it'll take a few weeks to show on the scales. The most important thing is not to give up :)

Thanks Eabha. I have changed my exercise (as of that week I gained). I joined a gym and since then (the last 3 weeks), I have been doing the workout the instructor tailored for me, in fact I have been doing more cardio than prescribed as I didn't think it was enough.

I think I do need to limit the carbs (my mum has a terrible time losing weight aswell and low or no carb is the only thing that worked for her), it is quite hard though. I have given it a bit of a shot this week. At the weekend, I had protein brekkie/brunch and carbs with dinner. During the week, I have been having 2 shredded wheat (new thing for me, was having soda bread toasted), salad for lunch (although I can't stomach that every day, will have ryvita and homemade egg mayo the other days), and beef stirfry and rice for dinner.

Alcohol is my downfall. I don't drink a lot, but I drink often. I would have 4 or 5 drinks (vodka and diet mixer) on Friday and Saturday and usually 2 or 3 drinks once during the week. It has become a habit at this stage and one I really need to break. My problem at the weekend, is if I don't have my few drinks one of the nights, I overcompensate with bad food.

I am not too bad with veg, I should probably eat more, but I do try and get a bit with each dinner.

Thanks for the tips. Don't worry, I will never give up! I still have 2 stone 10lb off me and will continue no matter how long it takes me to get the other 5 stone plus off! My plan is to really KILL it in the gym. Have decided I want to get fit and strong. I want to build muscle and stamina. I am admittedly very lazy, so this epiphany will hopefully work wonders for me :)

Thanks Eabha. I have changed my exercise (as of that week I gained). I joined a gym and since then (the last 3 weeks), I have been doing the workout the instructor tailored for me, in fact I have been doing more cardio than prescribed as I didn't think it was enough.

I think I do need to limit the carbs (my mum has a terrible time losing weight aswell and low or no carb is the only thing that worked for her), it is quite hard though. I have given it a bit of a shot this week. At the weekend, I had protein brekkie/brunch and carbs with dinner. During the week, I have been having 2 shredded wheat (new thing for me, was having soda bread toasted), salad for lunch (although I can't stomach that every day, will have ryvita and homemade egg mayo the other days), and beef stirfry and rice for dinner.

Alcohol is my downfall. I don't drink a lot, but I drink often. I would have 4 or 5 drinks (vodka and diet mixer) on Friday and Saturday and usually 2 or 3 drinks once during the week. It has become a habit at this stage and one I really need to break. My problem at the weekend, is if I don't have my few drinks one of the nights, I overcompensate with bad food.

I am not too bad with veg, I should probably eat more, but I do try and get a bit with each dinner.

Thanks for the tips. Don't worry, I will never give up! I still have 2 stone 10lb off me and will continue no matter how long it takes me to get the other 5 stone plus off! My plan is to really KILL it in the gym. Have decided I want to get fit and strong. I want to build muscle and stamina. I am admittedly very lazy, so this epiphany will hopefully work wonders for me :)

It's probably a silly question, but have you girls who are finding things to have slowed down tried a f+h week? That wud probably mean youd greatly improve the type of food you'd eat... I'd avoid ww white bread etc if doing that though... Stick to wholegrain. I've never been brave enough for a whole f+h week... But it's something I always bear in mind as an option for the future!

It's probably a silly question, but have you girls who are finding things to have slowed down tried a f+h week? That wud probably mean youd greatly improve the type of food you'd eat... I'd avoid ww white bread etc if doing that though... Stick to wholegrain. I've never been brave enough for a whole f+h week... But it's something I always bear in mind as an option for the future!

I haven't tried it because I don't know if I could trust myself not to cheat, for example, I love baked beans, and they are free on F&H, and I feel if I did it, I would go to town on them and they are quite high in calories/points. I might try it though ;)

I haven't tried it because I don't know if I could trust myself not to cheat, for example, I love baked beans, and they are free on F&H, and I feel if I did it, I would go to town on them and they are quite high in calories/points. I might try it though ;)
    I know what you mean, and I used feel the exact same. I told myself though, that at some point in my life I'm going to have to learn to get a bit of self control. Maybe do every second day, and consciously avoid things that you think might break you down, like baked beans. Or just buy one small tin!!

Speaking of F&H, is anybody doing it here? It's something I'd love to try but keep putting it off!

You definitely seem to be making the right changes. Did you take measurements when you started the gym? When I started my new exercise regime the scales were slow in moving but I lost a load of inches and everyone kept commenting that I had lost a lot of weight even though I hadn't. Because we do WW a lot of emphasis is put on the scales but keep up the exercise and go by how your clothes feel on you. Try and cut down on the alcohol and carbs for a while and see does it make a difference. Don't cut them out completely as we do need to have a life as well :) You've lost more than 2st already so you can do it again!

I kinda have been following f+h by default. I've been eating a lot of protein and veg and calorie controlled bread but still pointing. It definitely has helped but as I said I still stick to the points as I would just eat the ham out of the packet otherwise :o

Speaking of F&H, is anybody doing it here? It's something I'd love to try but keep putting it off!
    Ive done an odd day here and there, and I find it great. I find it really makes me think about what I'm putting in my mouth, because I don't want to use too many of my weeklies all at once. For some reason I haven't done a day in a while though... I think I need to shake up my whole attitude to ww at the moment. I need a good kick up the bum to jumpstart me again!

• Advertisement

Ive done an odd day here and there, and I find it great. I find it really makes me think about what I'm putting in my mouth, because I don't want to use to many of my weeklies all at once. For some reason I haven't done a day in a while though... I think I need to shake up my whole attitude to ww at the moment. I need a good kick up the bum to jumpstart me again!

I don't think they talk enough about F&H in the classes, which would discourage me from doing it as I don't know much about it.. Am I right in saying the WW bread is on the F&H days?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Danii86

WI 2night, afta a total binge of a weekend....WW didn't even get a 2nd thought from fri to mon, yet stil managed 2 b down 1lb, I know I got lucky so going to be extra good this week to make sur it doesn't catch up on me.

Ya I agree that they don't make enough noise about the F&H days @the meetings, and I find they really can help kickstart you if you've been stuck in a rut, how I manage to stay incontrol is to still weigh out stuff, mayb only adding a little extra ammount of meat or veg so I stil know in my head how many points(ish) I'm eating, I also like it because it allows me to eat lots of beans(not baked beans only but all diff types of dried 1s) and pluses that I normally don't eat if I'm pointin normally, but thyre free on F&H and theyr very good 4 weight loss in general!!!
    Might give F&H a go. @ the weekend, I find it makes the weekends a bit easier, I'm less likely to binge or eat the wrong foods!!!

Ive done an odd day here and there, and I find it great. I find it really makes me think about what I'm putting in my mouth, because I don't want to use to many of my weeklies all at once. For some reason I haven't done a day in a while though... I think I need to shake up my whole attitude to ww at the moment. I need a good kick up the bum to jumpstart me again!

I don't think they talk enough about F&H in the classes, which would discourage me from doing it as I don't know much about it.. Am I right in saying the WW bread is on the F&H days?

WW bread is included in F+H, as is nimble bread. I think (though I stand to be corrected on this) that all ww bread type products (ie loaves of bread, bagels, wraps) are included. Speaking of which- got ww wraps yesterday. Finding them great at only 3 pp. and they freeze well too (I put sheets of grease proof paper between them in the freezer, so they're not stuck together and can be used one at a time). Think I'll be having them a lot after I'm back at work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

All in all about 3years, I lost 5stone and struggled with the last 2 I needed to lose, I went through the last year and a half up and down and regained in total a stone and a half, I went back properly 5weeks ago, I lost 4.5lb week one, 1/2lb week two and have sts the last three weeks.

I'm on 29pp and reduced it to 26pp will so the same again this week. A few people were asking about Healthy & Filling. I personally love pointing and need it as a guideline but overall I don't think my foods are that bad. I'll list my plan for today as an example

Breakfast: 2 egg omlette with veg (onions, tomato and pepper) (5)
    Lunch: Wholemeal bread with Ham and low low with a Mandarin (7)
    Dinner: Chicken Pasta Bake (All homemade, loads veg in it) (12)
    Snack: Muller light & Mandarin (2)

Total: 26ppts

Everyday the dinner is homemade, rarely any packet sauces. Normally dinner are Bolognese, chilli con carne, chicken oven baked stuffed with philly & garlic, or I make my own breadcrumbs and have it that way, Salmon, Fajitas, Shepherds pie, chicken stirfry, chicken curry. I make them all with loads of veg and homemade sauces with passta, tinned tomatoes and stock.

I only snack on fruit and yogurts apart from the odd day I might have something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 obrigada

Hi everyone, haven't had a chance to read through thread, but have decided to join weight watchers tomorrow evening, am unhappy with my life at the minute, and feel if I make a concerted effort to lose weight and in turn increase my self-confidence, that it will impact my life in a positive way. So I would love to join you all on this thread if that's ok/

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭siobhanoh

obrigada wrote: »
    Hi everyone, haven't had a chance to read through thread, but have decided to join weight watchers tomorrow evening, am unhappy with my life at the minute, and feel if I make a concerted effort to lose weight and in turn increase my self-confidence, that it will impact my life in a positive way. So I would love to join you all on this thread if that's ok/

Welcome aboard Obrigada (love the name)! I know exactly how you feel. WW is great for making you feel better. I was living in Portugal last year and when I came back I just felt like a whale, it was really getting me down and I tried loads of different fad diets but they didn't last long and I was back eating loads. I had done WW years ago and lost around 25 lbs so I said I would give it ago so I rejoined almost two months ago now. From Day 1 you start feeling better about yourself because you start making changes that you know can be permanent. After the first WI, you feel even better because you realise you can do it. I am down 11 pounds so far, it has been slow but that is because I have been having a great social life at the same time. The main thing I have gained though is self-confidence! I went back to Portugal and although I was only down 8 pounds at the time I felt great in my bikini! Best of luck with your meeting tomorrow :)

First week back after being up a stone and down 2.5lbs :) I didn't stick completely to points but I did exercise and it was massive improvement to what I was eating before so happy. This week I'm going to try and stick completely to my points and increase exercise!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Cliodhna26

First week back after being up a stone and down 2.5lbs :) I didn't stick completely to points but I did exercise and it was massive improvement to what I was eating before so happy. This week I'm going to try and stick completely to my points and increase exercise!

Hi Eabhabear, congrats on your loss! How long had you been gone from ww if you don't mind me asking? I'm about to join back in tomorrow after like 7 weeks! Really looking forward to it =)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

2lb of 2nite! Finally made it into the 11's!!! Only just tho, current weight 11 stone 13.5lb!! so happy!
    total weight lost now 4 stone 5.5 lbs - close to my 9th silver seven:D

next few mini goals

get to single numbers in the lbs - ie. 11 stone 9lb
    then get under 11 and a half stone
    then get to 11 stone 5lbs (total lost will be 5 stone!!)
    then get into the 10's!

i know they are a long way of but just giving myself something to aim to!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RachaelFergie

Looking to loose as much weight in the 5 weeks to my holiday!! Would running or the 30 day shed be more beneficial??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement